PDA

View Full Version : Milk (The Movie)

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Anyone else seen this? I'm pretty much sure this is my pick for Best Picture so far. The cast is pretty damn good. I am pretty hit and miss with Gus Van Sant (Last Days was probably the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen and Elephant wasn't much further behind but GWH was great) but I can't think of a single character in this movie that wasn't awesome.

ATRAIN
01-29-2009, 10:27 AM
I want to see this. Manny dont you work, how do you have time to watch all these movies?

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Dude movies are only 2 hours long - how much do you work? I go to school full time and work and watch movies!

ATRAIN
01-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Dude movies are only 2 hours long - how much do you work? I go to school full time and work and watch movies!

I know im aware of that but damn. Do you watch movies alone? I like to hit up the theatre right after work at 3 during the week when its not packed. I dont bother to ask anyone cause they will make you wait and blah blah blah. Do you guys have an indy theatre in San Anton?

CuckingFunt
01-29-2009, 10:35 AM
I saw this one last night and thought it was absolutely amazing. Really, really well done. And Sean Penn, who I usually think is a bit overrated, turns in an excellent performance.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Dude, I don't go to the movies but a few times a year. I'm cheap like Joe Chalupa but smart like Mouse so I just download my shit. This time of year is the best because there are all kinds of screeners out for the awards shows and I can watch from the comfort of my couch and have 5.1 sound and excellent video quality so its LIKE i'm at the theater.

ATRAIN
01-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Dude, I don't go to the movies but a few times a year. I'm cheap like Joe Chalupa but smart like Mouse so I just download my shit. This time of year is the best because there are all kinds of screeners out for the awards shows and I can watch from the comfort of my couch and have 5.1 sound and excellent video quality so its LIKE i'm at the theater.

I need to set up a file share with you, I always find the crappy screeners. Ok NOW this makes more sense. I was like no way someone goes to the theaters that much lol.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 10:51 AM
We don't get very many shows here either. We do have a semi indie theater here that shows good stuff and documentaries but it doesn't show everything you'd want to see. I don't care about going to the movies on my own though. My problem is that my ADD kicks in like a mofo during movies so not being able to pause/rewind or flat out watch something again will mean I miss something.

ATRAIN
01-29-2009, 11:07 AM
We don't get very many shows here either. We do have a semi indie theater here that shows good stuff and documentaries but it doesn't show everything you'd want to see. I don't care about going to the movies on my own though. My problem is that my ADD kicks in like a mofo during movies so not being able to pause/rewind or flat out watch something again will mean I miss something.

I have an Indy theater close by so I usually watch them there. Slumdog has sold out the last 3 weekends there. I am supposed to watch it tomm.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 11:10 AM
You'll like it a lot. I watched it again a few days ago and I liked it just as much. There are very few movies I can watch more than once and still like them a lot.

dickface
01-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Not bad, not great. Pretty much a by the numbers biopic if you ask me. Van Sant made a much better movie this year in Paranoid Park.

Artsy Gus Van Sant >>>>>> Mainstream Gus Van Sant

ATRAIN
01-29-2009, 11:33 AM
You'll like it a lot. I watched it again a few days ago and I liked it just as much. There are very few movies I can watch more than once and still like them a lot.

Sweet i just bought my tickets online and I have a free movie pass so ill use that one on milk next weekend.

Fabbs
01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Anyone else seen this? I'm pretty much sure this is my pick for Best Picture so far. The cast is pretty damn good. I am pretty hit and miss with Gus Van Sant (Last Days was probably the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen and Elephant wasn't much further behind but GWH was great) but I can't think of a single character in this movie that wasn't awesome.
So who did you enjoy more, Anton Chigurh or Milk?

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Thats a good question. I think both movies benefit from casts that fit together really well. Both characters are really really different though. I don't know. I'm not even sure which movie I liked more. I have no clue man, I liked both and liked both movies a lot. I'd be far more likely to rewatch Milk though.

CuckingFunt
01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Artsy Gus Van Sant >>>>>> Mainstream Gus Van Sant

With the exception of Psycho, Either Gus Van Sant >>>>>> 90% of better known directors.

Ginobilly
01-29-2009, 03:54 PM
Thats a good question. I think both movies benefit from casts that fit together really well. Both characters are really really different though. I don't know. I'm not even sure which movie I liked more. I have no clue man, I liked both and liked both movies a lot. I'd be far more likely to rewatch Milk though.

So Manny, who do you like for best actor for the Oscar?
Sean Penn or Micky Rourke?

tlongII
01-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't find the story compelling.