PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaughis becoming the face of the GOP

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
And I love him for it. Might as well assure the Democrats maintaining total control if this is whats going to pass for the GOP now:

I clearly ended up putting my foot in my mouth on some of those comments (laughs) and I just wanted to tell you, Rush, and — and all our conservative giants who help us so much to maintain our base and grow it and get back this majority that I regret those stupid comments. [...]
Rush, congressional Republicans and our leadership need you and other conservative giants to galvanize the millions of Americans who don’t live in Washington. They may not even live in Republican districts. Maybe they’re in Democratic districts. But we’ve gotta have your support, and of course I know you reach millions of people across the country. I’m telling you, I heard from quite a few of them (laughs) since my foot-and-mouth disease yesterday, and I just thank you so much for what you’re doing, and we’re with you 100 percent — and we know that you’re with us a hundred percent, more importantly.

Man, thats some groveling from Rep Gingrey

This was his original statment

"I think that our leadership, Mitch McConnell (http://whorunsgov.com/Profiles/Mitch_McConnell) and John Boehner (http://whorunsgov.com/Profiles/John_Boehner), are taking the right approach," Gingrey said. "I mean, it’s easy if you’re Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh or even sometimes Newt Gingrich to stand back and throw bricks." Many interpreted these remarks as the equivalent of telling Rush to "back off."

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 01:27 PM
well, he finally appears to have grown a pair. shocking.

not really, i think he's just pandering.

also if House/Senate Repubs are listening to Rush again, then we'll see 1994 again.

-Mars

SnakeBoy
01-29-2009, 01:33 PM
also if House/Senate Repubs are listening to Rush again, then we'll see 1994 again.

Or 1980. It's really up to Obama not Rush.

SnakeBoy
01-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Rush offers a bipartisan stimulus plan...

My Bipartisan Stimulus
Let's cut taxes, as I want, and spend more, as Obama

There's a serious debate in this country as to how best to end the recession. The average recession will last five to 11 months; the average recovery will last six years. Recessions will end on their own if they're left alone. What can make the recession worse is the wrong kind of government intervention.

I believe the wrong kind is precisely what President Barack Obama has proposed. I don't believe his is a "stimulus plan" at all -- I don't think it stimulates anything but the Democratic Party. This "porkulus" bill is designed to repair the Democratic Party's power losses from the 1990s forward, and to cement the party's majority power for decades.

Keynesian economists believe government spending on "shovel-ready" infrastructure projects -- schools, roads, bridges -- is the best way to stimulate our staggering economy. Supply-side economists make an equally persuasive case that tax cuts are the surest and quickest way to create permanent jobs and cause an economy to rebound. That happened under JFK, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. We know that when tax rates are cut in a recession, it brings an economy back.

Recent polling indicates that the American people are in favor of both approaches.

Notwithstanding the media blitz in support of the Obama stimulus plan, most Americans, according to a new Rasmussen poll, are skeptical. Rasmussen finds that 59% fear that Congress and the president will increase government spending too much. Only 17% worry they will cut taxes too much. Since the American people are not certain that the Obama stimulus plan is the way to go, it seems to me there's an opportunity for genuine compromise. At the same time, we can garner evidence on how to deal with future recessions, so every occurrence will no longer become a matter of partisan debate.

Congress is currently haggling over how to spend $900 billion generated by American taxpayers in the private sector. (It's important to remember that it's the people's money, not Washington's.) In a Jan. 23 meeting between President Obama and Republican leaders, Rep. Eric Cantor (R., Va.) proposed a moderate tax cut plan. President Obama responded, "I won. I'm going to trump you on that."

Yes, elections have consequences. But where's the bipartisanship, Mr. Obama? This does not have to be a divisive issue. My proposal is a genuine compromise.

Fifty-three percent of American voters voted for Barack Obama; 46% voted for John McCain, and 1% voted for wackos. Give that 1% to President Obama. Let's say the vote was 54% to 46%. As a way to bring the country together and at the same time determine the most effective way to deal with recessions, under the Obama-Limbaugh Stimulus Plan of 2009: 54% of the $900 billion -- $486 billion -- will be spent on infrastructure and pork as defined by Mr. Obama and the Democrats; 46% -- $414 billion -- will be directed toward tax cuts, as determined by me.

Then we compare. We see which stimulus actually works. This is bipartisanship! It would satisfy the American people's wishes, as polls currently note; and it would also serve as a measurable test as to which approach best stimulates job growth.

I say, cut the U.S. corporate tax rate -- at 35%, among the highest of all industrialized nations -- in half. Suspend the capital gains tax for a year to incentivize new investment, after which it would be reimposed at 10%. Then get out of the way! Once Wall Street starts ticking up 500 points a day, the rest of the private sector will follow. There's no reason to tell the American people their future is bleak. There's no reason, as the administration is doing, to depress their hopes. There's no reason to insist that recovery can't happen quickly, because it can.

In this new era of responsibility, let's use both Keynesians and supply-siders to responsibly determine which theory best stimulates our economy -- and if elements of both work, so much the better. The American people are made up of Republicans, Democrats, independents and moderates, but our economy doesn't know the difference. This is about jobs now.

The economic crisis is an opportunity to unify people, if we set aside the politics. The leader of the Democrats and the leader of the Republicans (me, according to Mr. Obama) can get it done. This will have the overwhelming support of the American people. Let's stop the acrimony. Let's start solving our problems, together. Why wait one more day?

FreeMason
01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
The funny thing is Obama is trying to plant seeds in the ignorant heads that the GOP has actually listened to Rush for the last couple years. They haven't.

Rush has been a wuss concerning Bush , but he is usually dead on on the wimpy house/senate.

I say the GOP should completely sit back and let the left do whatever they want for 4 to 8 years. Might as well speed up what is coming anyways.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
:lol @ anyone taking Rush Limbaugh seriously.

ratm1221
01-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Bipartisan plan? WTF is that? A stimulus plan that is being designed to help the country shouldn't be about if it makes both republicans or democrats happy. It should be about what will make things better. Of course Rush always looks at things as "this side" and "that side." What a fat f-in druggy. Give him some Concerta and he'll say anything you want him to. Puppet.

clambake
01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
rush's problem with obama is color. just ask mcnabb.

DarkReign
01-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Bipartisan plan? WTF is that? A stimulus plan that is being designed to help the country shouldn't be about if it makes both republicans or democrats happy. It should be about what will make things better.

This would require a political spine. Something our country has lacked since....well, not in my lifetime.

Of course Rush always looks at things as "this side" and "that side." What a fat f-in druggy. Give him some Concerta and he'll say anything you want him to. Puppet.

Distraction through Division: America's Political Life

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 05:24 PM
The funny thing is Obama is trying to plant seeds in the ignorant heads that the GOP has actually listened to Rush for the last couple years. They haven't.

Rush has been a wuss concerning Bush , but he is usually dead on on the wimpy house/senate.

I say the GOP should completely sit back and let the left do whatever they want for 4 to 8 years. Might as well speed up what is coming anyways.

i agree on Rush concerning Bush. he's definitely given him too many free passes.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 05:25 PM

well liberals obviously do, considering they post what he says all the time.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
rush's problem with obama is color. just ask mcnabb.

dumbass :lol

clambake
01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
does acknowledging Rush's racism offend you?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:36 PM
well liberals obviously do, considering they post what he says all the time.So do you personally take Rush Limbaugh seriously?

clambake
01-29-2009, 05:39 PM
silly freshmen.

DarrinS
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Who is Rush Limbaughis?

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
So do you personally take Rush Limbaugh seriously?

when he's being serious. What liberals don't understand is that he also has a sense of humor.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Who is Rush Limbaughis?

:lol didn't even notice that.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
does acknowledging Rush's racism offend you?

he isn't a racist :lol but of course, he is to you, because he didn't support the Messiah

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
when he's being serious. What liberals don't understand is that he also has a sense of humor.:lol @ thinking he's ever serious.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 06:39 PM
:lol @ thinking he's ever serious.

:wakeup yeah, i think we all get that you hate Rush.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 06:40 PM
I think he's quite entertaining in his way. It's his listeners that take him seriously I hate.

Winehole23
01-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Rush is an entertainer, not a thinker. He does droll impersonations of liberals and unconscious parodies of conservatism.

Rush may not have pioneered fake umbrage as a mode of expression, but he is one of its main popularizers. A clear majority of Dittoheads subsist on little else. Throw in a few smug guffaws at liberal strawmen, unreflective contempt for minorities, women and the poor and you're there. What's not to like?

clambake
01-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Rush is an entertainer, not a thinker. He does droll impersonations of liberals and unconscious parodies of conservatism.

Rush may not have pioneered fake umbrage as a mode of expression, but he is one of its main popularizers. A clear majority of Dittoheads subsist on little else. Throw in a few smug guffaws at liberal strawmen, unreflective contempt for minorities, women and the poor and you're there. What's not to like?

you forgot to add that his fans are at least a chromosome short.

MannyIsGod
01-29-2009, 07:46 PM

Especially when its GOP congressmen.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 11:44 PM

:lmao

the hate towards Rush's viewpoints in this thread is palatable, but not surprising at all :toast

Wild Cobra
01-30-2009, 12:08 AM
The joke is on those like you who don't!

You don't have to like the man, but he has influence. You should at least respect him for that and keep up.

Wild Cobra
01-30-2009, 12:11 AM
i agree on Rush concerning Bush. he's definitely given him too many free passes.
Really?

I rarely get a chance to listen to him. Even when I do, I can only stand so much of his overbearing arrogance. However, I have heard him as critical to president Bush as an other republican when they make dumb moves. I would say he's just more respectful to president Bush than a senator, representative, governor, etc.

Wild Cobra
01-30-2009, 12:13 AM

Wow...

I see you listen to what other people say rather than actually listen to him. He is one smart asshole!

George Gervin's Afro
01-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Wow...

I see you listen to what other people say rather than actually listen to him. He is one smart asshole!

he's an entertainer..

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 12:18 AM
I respect Mr. Limbaugh's success but do not enjoy his performance.

He's a dimwit. Jocular and witty in his own way, but dim.

You can have him.

Wild Cobra
01-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I respect Mr. Limbaugh's success but do not enjoy his performance.

He's a dimwit. Jocular and witty in his own way, but dim.

You can have him.
I sometimes listen to him, but like I said. I can only take so much. You have to understand his style. I used to regularly listen to him starting about 1993. I understand his style and I can assure you, he is very intelligent. Not a dimwit. He has become more arrogant over the years, and I have a hard time with that. On top of that, one things he regularly says just grosses me out. When he refers to his "naked glorious body."

One thing you cannot deny if you actually were to listen to him is how seldom he is wrong when he states and means something as a fact. Hard for the novice listener to know when hes joking sometimes.

Wild Cobra
01-30-2009, 12:26 AM
he's an entertainer..

He is that too, but that doesn't mean he isn't smart.

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Wow...

I see you listen to what other people say rather than actually listen to him. He is one smart asshole!I've heard -- strike that -- I've been made to listen to plenty of Rush. You barely get the chance, and you're busting my hump.

Impersonation, strawman and fake outrage is about 90% of what he does. He's a historical dunce, is often incoherent, and he grovels to the party poobahs.

That you think he is smart only inspires me with....

....pity.

Wild Cobra
01-30-2009, 12:42 AM
I've heard -- strike that -- I've been made to listen to plenty of Rush. You barely get the chance, and you're busting my hump.

Impersonation, strawman and fake outrage is about 90% of what he does. He's a historical dunce, is often incoherent, and he grovels to the party poobahs.

....pity.
Whatever.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 12:48 AM
The joke is on those like you who don't!

You don't have to like the man, but he has influence. You should at least respect him for that and keep up.I repsect his on-air talent as a comedic demagogue.

I have no respect for anyone who is stupid enough to be influenced by him.

George Gervin's Afro
01-30-2009, 12:57 AM
I repsect his on-air talent as a comedic demagogue.

Haven't you listened to his show? Some people listen to his show to get the 'real' news.

SnakeBoy
01-30-2009, 01:22 AM
I repsect his on-air talent as a comedic demagogue.

I'm a conservative and I actually agree with that. If I'm in the car when he's on I always listen because he is the most entertaining guy on talk radio. Occasionally I agree with him. First and foremost he is an entertainer, but he does wield considerable influence.

Actually I take that back, Michael Savage is the most entertaining guy on the radio. Except for the fact that he's not just saying crazy stuff to be entertaining. He really means it when he says we should use tactical nukes to clean up the tribal areas of Pakistan.

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Actually I take that back, Michael Savage is the most entertaining guy on the radio. Except for the fact that he's not just saying crazy stuff to be entertaining. He really means it when he says we should use tactical nukes to clean up the tribal areas of Pakistan.Yeah he does. You totally get what what you see with him.

Savage is smart, knowledgeable, entertaining...and emotionally unstable. In spite of his homicidal truculence and rather extreme intolerance, I find him likeable, and I enjoy listening to his show. I even respect him in a way I never could Rush. Rush is a horrible phony. Savage -- love him or hate him -- is totally genuine.

SnakeBoy
01-30-2009, 04:19 AM
Rush is a horrible phony.

I disagree, Rush is a terrific phony. Hannity is a horrible phony. I can barely stand to hear him for 5 minutes. He'll beat the war drum about how we have to spread democracy throughout the middle east and then say "What would Reagan do?". Um, Sean you really don't have to guess.

In the months and the years that followed, our experience in Lebanon led to the adoption by the administration of a set of principles to guide America in the application of military force abroad, and I would recommend it to future presidents. The policy we adopted included these principles:

1.)The United States should not commit its forces to military action overseas unless the cause is vital to our national interest.

2.)If the decision is made to commit our forces to combat abroad, it must be done with the clear intent and support needed to win. It should not be a halfway or tentative commitment, and there must be clearly defined and realistic objectives.

3.)Before we commit our troops to combat, there must be reasonable assurance that the cause we are fighting for and the actions we take will have the support of the American people and Congress. (We all felt that the Vietnam War had turned into such a tragedy because military action had been undertaken without sufficient assurances that the American people were behind it.)

4.)Even after all these other tests are met, our troops should be committed to combat abroad only as a last resort, when no other choice is available.

DarkReign
01-30-2009, 08:42 AM
I've heard -- strike that -- I've been made to listen to plenty of Rush. You barely get the chance, and you're busting my hump.

....pity.

:lmao

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I disagree, Rush is a terrific phony. Hannity is a horrible phony. I stand corrected. :lol

Ya Vez
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Free Speech... anybody on the left ever heard of that...

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Free Speech... anybody on the left ever heard of that...Has Rush somehow been prevented from having his say?

Ya Vez
01-30-2009, 10:35 AM
The DCCC’s anti-Rush ad is a wonderfully laughable effort. What office is Mr. Limbaugh running for? Who is the Democrat opposing him?

For the last eight years, the Left’s efforts were almost uniformly focused on demonizing former President Bush; now, with him out of the picture, it appears that Mr. Limbaugh is next on the list to be targeted.

That’s fine; every dime and minute spent targeting Mr. Limbaugh is a dime and a minute spent neither opposing a Republican actually running for office, nor articulating a vision for actually leading America forward.

Democrats spent the last eight years opposing the administration and putting forth their best efforts to obstruct progress. Despite the fact that they now hold both the White House and commanding majorities in the House and Senate — and with those, the responsibility to actually produce solutions and sustainable policies that will benefit Americans as a whole — the Democrats seem unable to break out of their habit of behaving like a minority party, pointing fingers, assigning blame, and demanding bipartisan cover for policy proposals they claimed to strongly believe in (just not strongly enough to pass them without opposition support).

doobs
01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Has Rush somehow been prevented from having his say?

No, but let's see what happens with Congress and the FCC in a few months. (Yes, I know the Supreme Court has held that the Fairness Doctrine is generally constitutional.)

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 10:48 AM
The DCCC’s anti-Rush ad is a wonderfully laughable effort. What office is Mr. Limbaugh running for? Who is the Democrat opposing him?Good point.

For the last eight years, the Left’s efforts were almost uniformly focused on demonizing former President Bush; now, with him out of the picture, it appears that Mr. Limbaugh is next on the list to be targeted.Eh, flavor of the month. Besides, they're not done bashing Bush yet. Not by a long shot.

That’s fine; every dime and minute spent targeting Mr. Limbaugh is a dime and a minute spent neither opposing a Republican actually running for office, nor articulating a vision for actually leading America forward.The GOP's vision was so convincing, the American people gave Obama a larger majority than Reagan in 1980.

Democrats spent the last eight years opposing the administration and putting forth their best efforts to obstruct progress. Despite the fact that they now hold both the White House and commanding majorities in the House and Senate — and with those, the responsibility to actually produce solutions and sustainable policies that will benefit Americans as a whole — the Democrats seem unable to break out of their habit of behaving like a minority party, pointing fingers, assigning blame, and demanding bipartisan cover for policy proposals they claimed to strongly believe in (just not strongly enough to pass them without opposition support).Didn't the Dems strip the legislation of family planning provisions and add more tax cuts at the behest of the opposition?

Regardless, it should comfort you that the Dems still act like the opposition. Once they figure out they don't need the GOP, and start driving the steamroller, it'll irk you even more.

George Gervin's Afro
01-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah he does. You totally get what what you see with him.

Savage is smart, knowledgeable, entertaining...and emotionally unstable. In spite of his homicidal truculence and rather extreme intolerance, I find him likeable, and I enjoy listening to his show. I even respect him in a way I never could Rush. Rush is a horrible phony. Savage -- love him or hate him -- is totally genuine.

I respect Savage for his honesty. I have zero respect for hannity and hush because they aren't intellectually honest.

doobs
01-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Savage is not honest. Savage is a lying fool, and he's mentally unstable.

Hannity is a complete moron. I really dislike his "you're a great American" nonsense and his freedom concerts. I agree with him sometimes, but they say even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Rush is actually pretty smart and entertaining. I think he makes sound arguments when he's being serious. He can be a jerk sometimes. But, overall, he's the best in the business. He's much better than Hannity and Savage; and he's better than anyone the left has to offer.

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Savage is not honest. Savage is a lying fool, and he's mentally unstable.What does he lie about? I think many of his positions are ridiculously wrong, but that isn't the same thing. And he turned out to be right about GWB being a socialist.

Rush is actually pretty smart and entertaining. I think he makes sound arguments when he's being serious. He can be a jerk sometimes. But, overall, he's the best in the business.You can't really argue with his success. On whether he's smart I guess we just differ.

Can you give examples of Rush's political astuteness?

Oh, Gee!!
01-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Free Speech... anybody on the left ever heard of that...

yeah, we're engaging in it.

ClingingMars
01-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Yeah he does. You totally get what what you see with him.

Savage is smart, knowledgeable, entertaining...and emotionally unstable. In spite of his homicidal truculence and rather extreme intolerance, I find him likeable, and I enjoy listening to his show.

+1

George Gervin's Afro
01-30-2009, 03:14 PM
The DCCC’s anti-Rush ad is a wonderfully laughable effort. What office is Mr. Limbaugh running for? Who is the Democrat opposing him?

For the last eight years, the Left’s efforts were almost uniformly focused on demonizing former President Bush; now, with him out of the picture, it appears that Mr. Limbaugh is next on the list to be targeted.

That’s fine; every dime and minute spent targeting Mr. Limbaugh is a dime and a minute spent neither opposing a Republican actually running for office, nor articulating a vision for actually leading America forward.

Democrats spent the last eight years opposing the administration and putting forth their best efforts to obstruct progress. Despite the fact that they now hold both the White House and commanding majorities in the House and Senate — and with those, the responsibility to actually produce solutions and sustainable policies that will benefit Americans as a whole — the Democrats seem unable to break out of their habit of behaving like a minority party, pointing fingers, assigning blame, and demanding bipartisan cover for policy proposals they claimed to strongly believe in (just not strongly enough to pass them without opposition support).

So I guess since you had a problem with the dems obstructing the process you now expect the GOP to act in a bipartisan fashion. Would that be correct?

ElNono
01-30-2009, 03:33 PM
So I guess since you had a problem with the dems obstructing the process you now expect the GOP to act in a bipartisan fashion. Would that be correct?

Not only that, his claims of the Left obstructing 'progress' are retarded... Bush got his Iraq war with support from the dems... even more, Bush got his corporation bailout and telecom immunity even when the dems had majority in congress... Did they demonize Bush? Sure. But you can't claim they didn't went along with his administration...

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Please remind us what amazing legislation was passed when Republicans were in complete control of the government.

And yes, anti-Rush ads are stupid and Obama was wrong for calling him out by name. The Republicans flamed out and lost so horribly because of their own stupidity and hubris. All Rush really does is remind people of that, so if Democrats want to retain power, they should let him continue unfettered.

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 10:53 PM
So long we're all agreed Hannity is a moron, I can move on from this.

Nbadan
01-30-2009, 11:19 PM
And yes, anti-Rush ads are stupid and Obama was wrong for calling him out by name. The Republicans flamed out and lost so horribly because of their own stupidity and hubris. All Rush really does is remind people of that, so if Democrats want to retain power, they should let him continue unfettered.

...Rush is a phony and a wide majority of people see that....and it's not hard for most people to make the intellectual leap from Rush to the GOP leadership....

spurster
01-31-2009, 12:27 AM
As long as the Democrats can maintain Rush = GOP, it is good for the Democrats. But with an African-American party chairman and movement on issues for women and minorities, the GOP can make a lot of headway.

BTW, voting for discrimination (against the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act) was not a good start.

Nbadan
01-31-2009, 01:06 AM
The USA now has a clear choice, and even Rove can't spin it: We are a nation facing the choice of coming together as represented by Barack Obama, or as a country led by the forces of Rush Limbaugh, and his army of orcs (Hannity, O'Reilly, Crowley, Levin, ad infinitum from the Reich Wing cookie cutter).

They are putting all their eggs in the Limbaugh basket, and he can't handle it. The GOP has turned itself over to Rush Limbaugh, not Michael Steele. And they are likely to continue to perish as a result....

Nbadan
01-31-2009, 01:35 AM
http://picayune.uclick.com/comics/jd/2009/jd090128.gif

George Gervin's Afro
01-31-2009, 12:20 PM
So long we're all agreed Hannity is a moron, I can move on from this.

every policy and candidate that hannity has whored has failed at the ballot box. he is great for democrats!

RandomGuy
01-31-2009, 01:27 PM
every policy and candidate that hannity has whored has failed at the ballot box. he is great for democrats!

Heh, he is great for showing people who not to vote for. I concur.