PDA

View Full Version : John Salmons (again)

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
from ESPN:

John Salmons, Kings
Salmons is having a career season, but he doesn't fit into the long-term future of the franchise. The Kings have been shopping him all season. Despite his talent, he's never really been known as a chemistry guy in either Philadelphia or Sacramento.
His versatility, defense and ability to handle the ball have attracted a number of suitors. But buyers beware -- this guy has to start. Take him out of the starting lineup, and his numbers drop and his pouting increases.
Chance of trade: 55 percent

Sounds like Sac town is asking for cap relief.....who here would get Salmons?

SenorSpur
01-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I really like Salmons as a player. However given the fact that his production falls when he's not starting is a concern. Under ordinary circumstances, I'd love for the Spurs to consider him as an add. However given the obvious shortage on the frontline, I couldn't see how the Spurs could swing this.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
He would start as the small forward here in SA.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM

That's what I was thinking. I know it's never a good idea to make trades due to one specific team, but besides LA there isn't a Western team SA would have trouble against in the playoffs. I say this because Salmons has played extremely well against LA all year.

DAF86
01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=242~866~874~1726&teams=23~23~23~24&te=&cash=

Salmons for Udoka, Vaughn and Finley's expiring contracts make it happen

underdawg
01-29-2009, 03:10 PM

I mentioned Salmons in that unofficial - official trade thread. I think he would give the Spurs another player that can create offense and until Manu is back to himself, the Spurs really need that. Come playoffs - they should have 3 players that can create and that should be dangerous. I think you can mix in Bowen for effective minutes and keeping him fresh for crunch time and key moments of the game when you need him.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Everyone likes Salmons, his contract is very reasonable for his abilities and is 2010 friendly. I just do not know what they want for him.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2009, 03:14 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=242~866~874~1726&teams=23~23~23~24&te=&cash=

Finley would have to agree to a trade.

ss1986v2
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Everyone likes Salmons, his contract is very reasonable for his abilities and is 2010 friendly. I just do not know what they want for him.

id figure they would be looking for the usual deal at the trade deadline: expiring contracts + 1st round pick and/or decent prospect.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM

They could just get a Stackhouse agreement with him and Sacramento, I'm sure he'd take one for the team and Sacramento wouldn't mind.

Again this is all assuming Sacramento is merely looking for cap relief. Based on the Bibby and Artest trades there is a strong possibility of that.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
id figure they would be looking for the usual deal at the trade deadline: expiring contracts + 1st round pick and/or decent prospect.

Well that rules the Spurs out, no 1st rounders to give up.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM
And SA did draft him, so it's not some completely random fantasy trade like some of these hilarious Parker 4 Calderon ideas.

underdawg
01-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Udoka and Bonner for Salmons works though

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Well that rules the Spurs out, no 1st rounders to give up.

Well they have 2011 but RC is too smart to give that up.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
It is plausible, but I am sure it would have to include Ian or Tiago. A first rounder for Salmons seems a little much imo.

ss1986v2
01-29-2009, 03:27 PM
It is plausible, but I am sure it would have to include Ian or Tiago. A first rounder for Salmons seems a little much imo.

salmons is a weird case. he gets upset about his playing time in most places hes been, but when he does get the starting nod, he plays brilliantly. so im inclined to ignore his cantankerous side because hes usually right.

and this year, hes again playing really well. even after martin came back, his points did slip a bit (down about 2.5 points), but his assists, rebounds, and percentages all went up. and while not a lockdown defender, hes probably better than mason, and worlds beyond than finley.

i wouldnt mark salmons as a priority, but if nothing else is doable, and salmons is still on the table, id make a decent offer on him.

Agloco
01-29-2009, 04:17 PM

We need a marquee that reads:

Consider before posting as a trade possibility: Finley must consent to any trades

PDXSpursFan
01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
WE don't need Salmons (or any other backcourt player). We need a legit center.

wildbill2u
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
They could just get a Stackhouse agreement with him and Sacramento, I'm sure he'd take one for the team and Sacramento wouldn't mind.

Again this is all assuming Sacramento is merely looking for cap relief. Based on the Bibby and Artest trades there is a strong possibility of that.

Whatever happened with Stackhouse. I was in Dallas a few weeks ago and they were talking about trading him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-29-2009, 04:50 PM
DUNCANownsKobe.

Check.

Supergirl
01-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Salmons is one of the few guys I'd be willing to give up Udoka for, because he can defend as well as Udoka and can score.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Whatever happened with Stackhouse. I was in Dallas a few weeks ago and they were talking about trading him.

I think he forgot how to play basketball.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
DUNCANownsKobe.

Check.

???

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM
He is checking people who are on the "SpursTalk posters to be traded" list.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
He is checking people who are on the "SpursTalk posters to be traded" list.

hmmm, that's nice.

I wish I knew what I did too piss him off.....

weebo
01-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Udoka and Bonner for Salmons works though

Why the hell would any team want our scrubs for a productive player? Udoka is MIA and Bonner is only good for hitting jumpers. Might as well keep Salmons if you're the Kings.

Agloco
01-29-2009, 05:40 PM
from ESPN:

John Salmons, Kings
Salmons is having a career season, but he doesn't fit into the long-term future of the franchise. The Kings have been shopping him all season. Despite his talent, he's never really been known as a chemistry guy in either Philadelphia or Sacramento.
His versatility, defense and ability to handle the ball have attracted a number of suitors. But buyers beware -- this guy has to start. Take him out of the starting lineup, and his numbers drop and his pouting increases.
Chance of trade: 55 percent

Sounds like Sac town is asking for cap relief.....who here would get Salmons?

How does this fix the problem in the middle?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Why the hell would any team want our scrubs for a productive player? Udoka is MIA and Bonner is only good for hitting jumpers. Might as well keep Salmons if you're the Kings.

They want immediate cap relief. Udoka gives them that. They've been trying to trade Salmons all year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 05:44 PM

It doesn't, it would still help them.

underdawg
01-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Possible that a good mid-range game brings some defenders out of the middle? It doesn't fix it, but it probably helps. We don't need a star to help Timmy - just somebody tall, long and functional (almost Mahinmi like.) Having another player that can create gives us insurance during some of our infamous scoring droughts.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Possible that a good mid-range game brings some defenders out of the middle? It doesn't fix it, but it probably helps. We don't need a star to help Timmy - just somebody tall, long and functional (almost Mahinmi like.) Having another player that can create gives us insurance during some of our infamous scoring droughts.

Or Salmon's defense keeps wings out of the paint so their lack of shot blocking and help defense won't play as big a factor.

DAF86
01-29-2009, 06:41 PM
We need a marquee that reads:

Consider before posting as a trade possibility: Finley must consent to any trades

We pull a "Barry, Thomas, Seattle" kind of move: we tell the Kings to let Finley go once the trade is made and then we tell Michael that we'd sign him again. I think Fin would accept that to make the team better.

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM
hmmm, that's nice.

I wish I knew what I did too piss him off.....

basically suggested a trade.

DAF86
01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
WE don't need Salmons (or any other backcourt player). We need a legit center.

Agreed, but if the FO doesn't plan to make a move like that, this trade would be better than nothing. Salmons is a great defender and could turn into the next Bruce Bowen in a couple of years. Besides he's pretty good on offense too.

Agloco
We pull a "Barry, Thomas, Seattle" kind of move: we tell the Kings to let Finley go once the trade is made and then we tell Michael that we'd sign him again. I think Fin would accept that to make the team better.

That worked because Carlesimo and Presti were in the mix up there. The Ma-Goof Bros. won't go for that type of Tom-Foolery.....

DAF86
basically suggested a trade.

But this isn't a stupid or "unmakeable" trade.

DAF86
01-29-2009, 06:50 PM
That worked because Carlesimo and Presti were in the mix up there. The Ma-Goof Bros. won't go for that type of Tom-Foolery.....

Why not? they want to get rid of Salmons, Finley isn't useful for them and if we tell them that's the only way to make the trade work I think they would do it.

Agloco
01-29-2009, 06:52 PM

It doesn't, it would still help them.

Our mid-range game improves by adding this guy? That's to say he's a better jump-shooter than either Manu, Mason or Finley. I might buy an argument against Finley at this point, but it only makes us deeper at our deepest position. Perhaps he helps on the defensive end, but defending the wing isn't our most pressing need atm. Getting a good center is.

underdawg
01-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Our mid-range game improves by adding this guy? That's to say he's a better jump-shooter than either Manu, Mason or Finley. I might buy an argument against Finley at this point, but it only makes us deeper at our deepest position. Perhaps he helps on the defensive end, but defending the wing isn't our most pressing need atm. Getting a good center is.

Mason and Finley are more spot up jump shooters, but Salmons is usually driving to the basket and shooting - that difference usually draws more defenders. I'd rather have Salmons at the 3 than Finley when we need offense (i.e. Tim in foul trouble or being double teamed.)

DAF86
01-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Mason and Finley are more spot up jump shooters, but Salmons is usually driving to the basket and shooting - that difference usually draws more defenders. I'd rather have Salmons at the 3 than Finley when we need offense (i.e. Tim in foul trouble or being double teamed.)

I'd rather have Salmons instead of Finley when we need defense too.

SenorSpur
01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I'd rather have Salmons instead of Finley when we need defense too.

I would too, but that would mean Pop giving up his legendary "man-crush" on the Findog. Aint happenin'.

Anyway, still need a big.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Salmons would be just as good as a big. Another slasher/scorer/ball handler is just as good as a big man for the Spurs.

underdawg
01-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Plus, he gets to the line. He's shooting 82% at the FT line and getting 4.63 attempts per game - not bad compared to Kobe's 7.02

underdawg
01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
I would too, but that would mean Pop giving up his legendary "man-crush" on the Findog. Aint happenin'.

Anyway, still need a big.

Of course we do, but I think it's starting to seem like we don't have the chips to get one. Get a good player that can help your team at a different position that needs help and then go out and get a functional big. Not the best solution, but to me it seems better than going at as is.

ss1986v2
01-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Of course we do, but I think it's starting to seem like we don't have the chips to get one. Get a good player that can help your team at a different position that needs help and then go out and get a functional big. Not the best solution, but to me it seems better than going at as is.

this is where i stand on the salmons issue. i dont think hes a need and im not sure we really have enough to get him. we have bigger issues in the front court. but im just not sure we have the pieces to land the kind of big we want/need either. so if it comes to standing pat, or making a move on salmons, id at least want to explore that option.

the question would be how much would we be willing to offer? im not sure a protected 2011 1st is all that enticing to the kings. ian holds no value at this point in time. and would the spurs be willing to move splitters rights? plus, we are probably going to have to send out one of the bigs to match salary, so we need to pick up another big for insurance.

it ends up having a lot going on, so im not sure its all that likely. but then again, im a salmons fan, so i would hope that it would.

timvp
01-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Let's trade Parker and Manu for Beno and Salmons!

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2009, 02:01 AM
you guys need to realize that our D was fine with Oberto at C before..3rd last season in interior D and overall D..

Bonner isn't ideal, but the less penetration we allow, the better our D will be..so perimeter D is a must..

as for Salmons..I'm a fan of his, but I'd rather get Garcia from the Kings..better defender, and better fit for out team..

ss1986v2
01-30-2009, 02:15 AM
as for Salmons..I'm a fan of his, but I'd rather get Garcia from the Kings..better defender, and better fit for out team..

ive been hot and cold on garcia in the past. last year he shot some very nice percentages, and was very active defensively. and from the limited bits ive seen of him this season, he still is bringing it defensively. but his shooting seems off this season. and his foul rate is (as usual) a bit high for a wing player. a bit of that is due to his defensive style, but a bit is poor decisions while defending on the perimeter.

if i had to choose between netting garcia at market value, and maybe overpaying a bit for salmons, id lean toward salmons. but again, im a fan, so my opinion is skewed.

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2009, 02:32 AM
I'd go either way, ss..I agree with your assessment though..in the games I've seen Garcia this season, he didn't really impress me that much, particularly his decision making on both sides of the floor..but my pick of Garcia is considering the fact that the Kings could probably get a much better offer for Salmons, compared to what we can give them..the same can be said about Garcia, but he's having kind of a down year, while Salmons is making a name for himself..I've heard a lot of teams have interest in him, so it would be tougher to make the deal..

I doubt we make trades for either though..

ss1986v2
01-30-2009, 02:40 AM
i agree. unless the spurs are willing to move splitters rights, we dont have anything of value to offer. and even then you have to ask how much value do splitters rights hold? you have to find a team that is optimistic about his making he jump to the nba.

looking at all the players rumored to be on the move, i just dont see who we have a realistic shot at (albatross contracts aside).

Blackjack
01-30-2009, 02:52 AM
:lmao

I can't believe the people on here who thinks Salmons wouldn't improve the team, or be a wise move. He fills just about every criteria the Spurs look to when looking to improve their team.

He brings a good BBIQ, plays both ends of the court, helps both short and long-term, and brings a very fair/reasonable contract. The Spurs would have to have another really sweetheart deal to turn Salmons down, if all it took were some expiring contracts at the end of the bench and the rights to Splitter.

This narrative that the only move you can/should make is for a big, is getting pretty tired. What the hell magical big man are the Spurs going to get with the "assets" they have?

If there's any chance the Spurs could pull this off, I could only hope they'd pull the trigger. I don't think some of you realize how much of a value this guy is. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Salmons sneeks up and makes an All-Star game before his career is done.

The Spurs upgrade the athleticism on the perimeter, bring in another playmaker/slasher who's got a knack of getting to the line, (invaluable- see 3rd qtr. vs. Suns tonight) and with his youth, helps to bridge the gap the vets leave as they a get a little too long in the tooth.

If the Spurs could somehow get Salmons on the cheap, and add Joe Smith if he's bought-out?

You probably couldn't ask for much more than that, given the Spurs' situation.

DAF86
01-30-2009, 03:28 AM
Let's trade Parker and Manu for Beno and Salmons!

What was that? Are you drunk? trying to be funny? what?

I think this is as reasonable as you can get in "ST's trade" talk, there's no reason to bash it by making sarcastic comments.

mountainballer
01-30-2009, 06:39 AM
But buyers beware -- this guy has to start. Take him out of the starting lineup, and his numbers drop and his pouting increases.

I didn't know that Salmons is a bit of a diva.
however, he would be a nice upgrade at the wing, his defense is currently not much of a downgrade to Bowen's and his offense is much better than what Fin delivers.
but I agree, we need to fill the frontcourt holes and if we spend our few assets for a player like Salmons, it will become almost impossible to somehow get a decent big man.

pad300
01-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I didn't know that Salmons is a bit of a diva.
however, he would be a nice upgrade at the wing, his defense is currently not much of a downgrade to Bowen's and his offense is much better than what Fin delivers.
but I agree, we need to fill the frontcourt holes and if we spend our few assets for a player like Salmons, it will become almost impossible to somehow get a decent big man.

Get real defensively Bowen >> Salmons >> Finley. However, he would still be a nice upgrade at the wing, as on offense Salmons >> Finley >= Bowen.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Get real defensively Bowen >> Salmons >> Finley. However, he would still be a nice upgrade at the wing, as on offense Salmons >> Finley >= Bowen.

Not anymore. Salmons is a great defender when he's starting and he's motivated. Under Pop he'll be motivated.

Btw - does anyone know if there's any trade rumors of Salmons going to the Spurs, or is it just something people are talking about?

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
LOL John Salmons is not a better defender than Bowen, it's not even close..I think some of you guys are just assuming about Salmons..he really isn't that great of a defender..

Texas_Ranger
01-30-2009, 08:28 PM
If Vaughn will be traded to Sac-town, then Beno will be his bitch....again.

Ditty
01-30-2009, 08:37 PM
udoka for salmons

Yorae
01-30-2009, 09:11 PM
udoka for salmons

ss1986v2
01-30-2009, 11:53 PM
LOL John Salmons is not a better defender than Bowen, it's not even close..I think some of you guys are just assuming about Salmons..he really isn't that great of a defender..

hes not. but he is worlds better than finley (probably made moot due to pops finley man-crush).

and IMHO, id rather have salmons out there defensively than udoka. id probably give udoka the nod vs the power guards, but id rather have salmons out there on the typical swing guy. i like udoka well enough, but hes never wowed me, and i do think his foot speed is an issue.

im probably in the minority here, but id gladly do:

obie + udoka + rights to splitter (or 2011 1st with some kind of protection, like top 8, if kings prefer)
for
salmons

we also have the gsw 2nd rounder next year, and while 2nd rounds hold very little to no value around the league, the warriors pick is about as valueable as a 2nd rounder gets (top5 right now). now whether the kings would ever go for something like this is another story.