PDA

View Full Version : $819 billion in perspective

DarrinS
01-29-2009, 05:03 PM
If you made a dollar a second, you would make $3600 per hour. Annually, that would be about 7.5 million dollars. 819 billion is equivalent to paying 109,200 people this amount. Let's say every player in the NBA made 7.5 million a year -- you could afford to pay the NBA players for 253 years.

If you were to count to 819 billion, it would take you 25,953 years or 259 centuries.

The bill for the economic stimulus plan has 647 pages, so that's 1.27 billion dollars per page.

Hope it works.

clambake
01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
if you're gonna do math.....you have to show your work.

Blake
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Let's say the government is coming up with an $819 B stimulus package and let's say my wife and I make less than $150,000 combined. That means $1000 will be deposited into my bank account in the next few weeks.

Really makes you think.

DarrinS
01-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Let's say the government is coming up with an $819 B stimulus package and let's say my wife and I make less than $150,000 combined. That means $1000 will be deposited into my bank account in the next few weeks.

Really makes you think.

That's weird because I make less than you and your wife combined (we are a single-income family) and I have to pay.

Gee, that's fair.

SnakeBoy
01-29-2009, 05:42 PM
That means $1000 will be deposited into my bank account in the next few weeks.

What will you do with that $1000?

mogrovejo
01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Who's going to pay this money?

Blake
01-29-2009, 05:46 PM
That's weird because I make less than you and your wife combined (we are a single-income family) and I have to pay.

Gee, that's fair.

huh?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:47 PM

Gee, that's fair.You don't file jointly?

Blake
01-29-2009, 05:47 PM
What will you do with that $1000?

I haven't really decided yet. I'm thinking of heading over to Circuit City and see if they have any nice TVs left for the bedroom.

DarrinS
01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
You don't file jointly?

Yes, but my wife is a stay-at-home mom.

clambake
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
huh?

he's saying that he makes more than 75k (and his wife doesn't work) but because your wife works, you'll get a check.

doobs
I haven't really decided yet. I'm thinking of heading over to Circuit City and see if they have any nice TVs left for the bedroom.

Will you give me a free lunch?

DarrinS
if you're gonna do math.....you have to show your work.

I'm sure RandomGuy can confirm.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:50 PM
I haven't really decided yet. I'm thinking of heading over to Circuit City and see if they have any nice TVs left for the bedroom.Doubtful -- everyone else has the Samsung 32" under $500 though.

clambake
01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm sure RandomGuy can confirm.

i got a little kid in school......habit......"show your work".

DarrinS
01-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Doubtful -- everyone else has the Samsung 32" under $500 though.

I bought that one for my Mom. It's a lot smaller than you think.

There's a 32" Toshiba that's very cheap right now too.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Yes, but my wife is a stay-at-home mom.So she doesn't pay any taxes.

DarrinS
i got a little kid in school......habit......"show your work".

Google is a wonderful thing.

You can type in "819 billion seconds in years" and hit enter. It will calculate it for you.

You can also do all kinds of unit conversions, e.g. "0 degrees Celsius in Fahrenheit".

DarrinS
So she doesn't pay any taxes.

I also have a 5 year old and an 8 year old that don't pay any taxes. Do you have a point?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:58 PM
I bought that one for my Mom. It's a lot smaller than you think.I think it's 32".

There's a 32" Toshiba that's very cheap right now too.Is it bigger?

I actually got my first LCD tv this week at Target for $378 before tax. I went cheap for the first one as it will eventually end up in the bedroom. The package has a big asterisk after the 32" saying it's actually 31.5".

[/derail]

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 05:59 PM
I also have a 5 year old and an 8 year old that don't pay any taxes. Do you have a point?Yeah, your wife doesn't pay taxes.

DarrinS
01-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Yeah, your wife doesn't pay taxes.

ok

doobs
01-29-2009, 06:14 PM
ok

Why don't you file jointly?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Why don't you file jointly?They do, but I guess both filers have to work to get the bigger check.

Blake
01-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes, but my wife is a stay-at-home mom.

I'm not HR Block, but I would figure if you file head of household that you should get a check but I'll take your word that you don't, and frankly that sucks for you.....

...but I'm not gonna feel guilty about taking the money.

I would hate to be the one that made $75,001.

Blake
01-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Doubtful -- everyone else has the Samsung 32" under $500 though.

yeah, I figure as much, but I still want to see what scraps are left.

a 32" samsung sounds good.......and that's an lcd, right?

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 06:26 PM
yeah, I figure as much, but I still want to see what scraps are left.

a 32" samsung sounds good.......and that's an lcd, right?Yeah. Had Target been out of the Phillips-Magnavox I picked up, I would have gone ahead and ponied up for the Samsung. I think most of the big box stores dropped their prices on them at the same time.

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2009, 06:28 PM
obama is not happy some of this money is going to corp bonuses.....fkn lame this aint stimulating shit besides rewarding top lvl management for their failures.....

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
I can't believe anyone got a bonus after driving his business into the ground. Just another example how out of touch these people and companies are.

SnakeBoy
01-29-2009, 07:32 PM

You're a real trooper. President Obama will thank you for your sacrifice. A new TV in every american bedroom is very important.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
You're a real trooper. President Obama will thank you for your sacrifice. A new TV in every american bedroom is very important.So what are you doing with your check?

SnakeBoy
01-29-2009, 08:47 PM
So what are you doing with your check?

I won't get one.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Will you do anything with your continued tax cut?

SnakeBoy
01-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Will you do anything with your continued tax cut?

If Obama keeps his word, and I expect he will, then I think I will see somewhere around an $800/month tax increase. Which would be tolerable I suppose. If he was lying, it will be more and that's what I'm afraid of.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2009, 01:25 AM
I was under the impression he was going to leave the tax cuts in place for now.

SnakeBoy
01-30-2009, 02:07 AM
He's indicated that but politically I don't think he will be able to stand against the far left like Pelosi.

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 02:23 AM
He's indicated that but politically I don't think he will be able to stand against the far left like Pelosi.Even uber-liberal financial sages like Reich and Krugman say it's no time to raise taxes or repeal cuts. Taxes will go up, but probably not before GDP growth in the range of 2-3% is reestablished. We may not get there in Obama's first term.

SnakeBoy
01-30-2009, 02:35 AM
We may not get there in Obama's first term.

Well the Bush tax cuts expire in 2010 and there's no way they get renewed. Despite all the class warfare they were in fact across the board tax cuts. So he will have to come up with something in his first term, which is a big problem from my perspective. Obama has promised 95% tax rates even lower than under Bush. The elite will always buy their loop holes. That leaves the so called "rich" like me as the only target. I would prefer they stop with the "tax the rich" rhetoric and just say "tax the upper middle class" or "tax the middle class without debt" but that doesn't have the same political punch.

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Good point, Snake.

DarrinS
01-30-2009, 11:06 AM
So, if I'm "rich", are the people in Stone Oak and Boerne and Leon Springs "filthy rich"?

Winehole23
01-30-2009, 11:11 AM
So, if I'm "rich", are the people in Stone Oak and Boerne and Leon Springs "filthy rich"?I thought it was established in the other thread that you're just upper middle class, and BradLoHaus pointed out that people making $10 million a year -- comparatively speaking, right -- are not really that rich.

Blake
01-30-2009, 11:12 AM
You're a real trooper. President Obama will thank you for your sacrifice. A new TV in every american bedroom is very important.

:lol

WWSBD with a rebate? give it to charity? better yet....be a super patriot and give it back to the federal government?

I'm still playing with a PS2.......maybe it's time to upgrade to the PS3.

Blake
01-30-2009, 11:15 AM
So, if I'm "rich", are the people in Stone Oak and Boerne and Leon Springs "filthy rich"?

by the sound of it, I've got the best of both worlds over Darrin......:lol

I have the serious misfortune of living in Stone Oak. I cannot wait to move back inside of 1604.

DarrinS
01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
by the sound of it, I've got the best of both worlds over Darrin......:lol

I have the serious misfortune of living in Stone Oak. I cannot wait to move back inside of 1604.

Well, that area has become an ocean of rooftops. Unfortunately, when a nice part of town gets devloped, a lot of people will flock to that area. Currently, that new "hot spot" is 281 North. Every day when I see that long, slow train of traffic heading north into their suburban utopia, it always reminds me of what it would look like if the entire population of SA was trying to evacuate on a two-lane highway.

Blake
01-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Well, that area has become an ocean of rooftops. Unfortunately, when a nice part of town gets devloped, a lot of people will flock to that area. Currently, that new "hot spot" is 281 North. Every day when I see that long, slow train of traffic heading north into their suburban utopia, it always reminds me of what it would look like if the entire population of SA was trying to evacuate on a two-lane highway.

It's bad enough for me going down Stone Oak Py every day, but 281 North past 1604 is pure hell. Until they expand the highway and create overpasses to avoid those damn lights at Evans and Encino Rio, you couldn't pay me to live out there.

Honestly, just about anything north of 1604 from roughly Bulverde Rd west to Culebra Rd might be considered a "hot spot".

HEB owns the property at the NW corner of Bulverde/1604 so it's just a matter of time before that intersection explodes too.

DarrinS
01-30-2009, 06:01 PM
It's bad enough for me going down Stone Oak Py every day, but 281 North past 1604 is pure hell. Until they expand the highway and create overpasses to avoid those damn lights at Evans and Encino Rio, you couldn't pay me to live out there.

Honestly, just about anything north of 1604 from roughly Bulverde Rd west to Culebra Rd might be considered a "hot spot".

HEB owns the property at the NW corner of Bulverde/1604 so it's just a matter of time before that intersection explodes too.

I work by the airport and I used to drive 281 past 1604 and do the turnaround at Sonterra blvd, but the traffic is too much these days. Now, I take several back roads just to avoid it.

TDMVPDPOY
01-31-2009, 10:09 AM
$819b is not going to solve the economies problems...

look at the 2 big banks....they have $5.4trillion combine in derivatives.....

jack sommerset
01-31-2009, 10:15 AM
$819b is not going to solve the economies problems...

look at the 2 big banks....they have $5.4trillion combine in derivatives.....

Thats why I am not worried when Obama fucks it up. What makes everyone sick is what these people are doing with the money. Citigroup bought a 50 million dollar plane. I think a 12 seater. From FRANCE no less. Lots of these storys will come out and the Goverment cannot do a damn thing. Thats the sick part. No telling how many politicians are going to be rich from this money.

Winehole23
01-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Thats the sick part. No telling how many politicians are going to be rich from this money. The big conundrum is how to make money when you overpay for dingle.

If the government takes too big a bite out of the banks in the targeted asset categories, it can create default. We have to overpay, or the banks might fail.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Australias PM just released a AUS$42billion stimulus package today....

only problem i have with the packages so far from every country is the creation of jobs are in sectors that doesnt make up for the losses in a significant sector like banking/commerce.

seriously they keep on telling us to spend when we dont even know teh future of our jobs, how about when they keep on sugarcoating about house prices and decrease rates...good time to buy for first home buyers. wtf am ima go purchase a house so construction workers keep there jobs, while office workers like me dont even know if tommarow i still have a job, seriously the stimulus package is fuckd up.

The Reckoning
02-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Australias PM just released a AUS$42billion stimulus package today...

muwahahaha

looks like america is taking the ship down with the captain

FreeMason
02-03-2009, 09:51 AM
I can't believe anyone got a bonus after driving his business into the ground. Just another example how out of touch these people and companies are.

Mr Chumpdumper, with all due respect my good man.

Yes they are out of touch, but have you thought about the scam Pelosi just tried to pull on 300 million Americans? It is utterly disgusting the steaming pile of shit she put forth in this stimulus bill.

During America's time of need, she uses this opportunity to fund entitlement programs, strengthen unions, attempt to get a political stronghold for the dems in the next upcoming years by paying off no telling who for votes...

Thankfully, it sounds like Obama will cut a lot of it out (because bless his heart, I know he had nothing to do with this atrocity)...but he should absolutely chop that bitch down in front of the public for the disgusting act she committed.

My lovable gal Nancy Pelosi, Obey, and whoever else had a part in this are all traitors to the United States of America.

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
this recession reminds me of the early 90s....where the recession we needed to have.....it didnt fix things, and watever party was in govt that time didnt stay around long cause of high unemployment and interest rates.........the only thing that save that era was the internet boom imo.......

DarkReign
02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
the only thing that save that era was the internet boom imo.......

Bingo. I was having a conversation the other day with an expecting father. I basically said "We're all fucked. Get used to it."

"Dont tell me that, Ive got a kid on the way"

I said, "You should have read a newspaper before then and pulled out if you had any shred of decency as a human being."

I told him the only hope for everyone is another internet-type advancement/invention. Something new that changes the world like the net did.

Yeah....not happening. So I was working on cold-fusion the other day...

SnakeBoy
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I told him the only hope for everyone is another internet-type advancement/invention. Something new that changes the world like the net did.

Internet bubble-> housing bubble-> green energy bubble. That seems to be the plan, will it work???

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Internet bubble-> housing bubble-> green energy bubble. That seems to be the plan, will it work???We lack the technical base for that third thing, so we better get crackin'!

Blake
02-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Internet bubble-> housing bubble-> green energy bubble. That seems to be the plan, will it work???

what jobs would come from a green energy economic boom?

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
what jobs would come from a green energy economic boom?

i doubt they create alot of jobs as compared to losing alot in the mining of fossil fuels field, if this is the way to go in the future. Dont get sucked in fellas with the rebates and your better off shit sugarcoating speech from ur leaders, yeh sure you be cutting about 100-200 of ur energy bills, but hey increase costs to fund that mandatory emissions scheme when it kicks in.

SnakeBoy
02-03-2009, 02:33 PM
We lack the technical base for that third thing, so we better get crackin'!

Do we need a technical base to create a new speculative bubble?

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Do we need a technical base to create a new speculative bubble?Good question.

Probably not.

Blake
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Do we need a technical base to create a new speculative bubble?

I assume we are talking stock market?

I don't think you have to show off your solar vehicle that can go 200 miles after shining your flashlight on one of the panels, but I think there has to be some sort of base.

I haven't read up on it too much but I hear tell that Gates has invested in some kind of algae energy....

LnGrrrR
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Good question.

Probably not.

Considering all the Flip Your House shows I used to see, I can definitively say that it does not take alot of technical knowhow to create a bubble. In fact, I think the opposite is more likely to create that bubble.

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Hopefully,the "green bubble" will incubate technology we can actually live with and elaborate on after the initial investors get fleeced.

Or maybe we'll start acting like the Saudi Arabia of coal. Who knows?

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Considering all the Flip Your House shows I used to see, I can definitively say that it does not take alot of technical knowhow to create a bubble. In fact, I think the opposite is more likely to create that bubble.Line items in the federal budget sure can't hurt.

Wild Cobra
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Considering all the Flip Your House shows I used to see, I can definitively say that it does not take alot of technical knowhow to create a bubble. In fact, I think the opposite is more likely to create that bubble.
One of the few things I agree with you on. These bubbles are created by people in the know creating an environment to suck in the ignorant, and cash in on their money. Lots of people got very rich on these bubbles!

Wild Cobra
02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Line items in the federal budget sure can't hurt.
I agree to a point. I don't think the president should be able to take anything out at will. Only things that are not withing the title, purpose, and scope of a bill. This way, he can strip the pork out.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2009, 01:12 AM
aus had a $100b surplus last financial year, this year? its fuckn $110b in deficit :( stupid credit crises, actually fuck the previous govt who didnt spend it who was to greedy saving it when the economy was booming and high inflation/interest rates.

PM tried to pass $42B stimulus package through the senate only to be cockblocked....lame.

its fuckn lame when one party puts there interest above all citizens...its fukn stupid. who gives a shit which party you belong too, if you got a good idea/solution to the problem....raise ur hand and voice ur opinion instead of sitting back cockblocking blaming the current govts poor decision making policys.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2009, 03:56 AM
I dunno what is americas current NFD is atm

but damn $819B barrowed x cash % interest around 2-3% = 1.638b-2.457b interest payable added to the NFD per year....ouch.

ps. I wish i was that poor country that kept on barrowing money from the IMF and having those loan debts written off by the big wealthy countries while parking in a bunker underground doing nothing to it, and loaning it out now to these countries trying to stimulate the thier perspective economys.