PDA

View Full Version : Reserves Announced - Tony Parker is an All-Star

robot89
01-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Shaquille O’Neal will make his return to the NBA’s All-Star Game on Feb. 15 in Phoenix, multiple front office sources told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday afternoon.

O’Neal, 36, was one of seven Western reserves chosen by the NBA’s coaches, and will play in the All-Star Game for the hometown Suns. O’Neal had played in 14 consecutive All-Star Games until missing out in 2008.

Yahoo! Sports obtained the rosters, and the West reserves also include the Los Angeles Lakers’ Pau Gasol, New Orleans Hornets’ David West, Dallas Mavericks’ Dirk Nowitzki, San Antonio Spurs’ Tony Parker, Denver Nuggets’ Chauncey Billups and Portland Trail Blazers’ Brandon Roy.

The East reserves include two Orlando Magic, Jameer Nelson and Rashard Lewis. East coaches also chose the Boston Celtics’ Paul Pierce, Atlanta Hawks’ Joe Johnson, Toronto Raptors’ Chris Bosh, New Jersey Nets’ Devin Harris and Indiana Pacers’ Danny Granger.

The Magic will have three All-Stars in the game, including starting center Dwight Howard, who received the most fan votes of any player. The East-leading Cleveland Cavaliers will have just one, LeBron James. Among the notable misses on the East’s roster: the Cavs’ Mo Williams, and Boston’s Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen.

As for the West, Minnesota’s Al Jefferson was left off the roster. Also, Steve Nash will miss his first All-Star game in five years.

The NBA will officially name the reserves on TNT at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmNlBeE970kZsizwAii2zkW8vLYF?slug=aw-allstars012909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

xtremesteven33
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
looks good to me...glad to see Granger made it

timvp
01-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Congrats to Parker. Three All-Star games puts him in some elite company in San Antonio.

Kori Ellis
Good for Tony. I'm sure that Tim and Tony will have fun in Phoenix. Maybe Manu can go and play in one of those competitions.

Hopefully Tony destroys Nash tonight and proves the point of leaving Nash off :toast

SpursFan0728
Good choices

rondo is not an all star

Behrooz24
01-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Good for TP

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Yea! He'll be easier to trade now!

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
at least no snaq oatmeal this year.....

wait he do something to get the medias attention.....

xtremesteven33
01-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Good for Tony. I'm sure that Tim and Tony will have fun in Phoenix. Maybe Manu can go and play in one of those competitions.

Hopefully Tony destroys Nash tonight and proves the point of leaving Nash off :toast

Nash hater?

Agloco
01-29-2009, 06:19 PM
No Nash....... awwww yeah.

timvp
01-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Al Jefferson has a case to make it over David West and Jameer Nelson's season has been pretty flukish but the rest of the names look good.

sonic21
01-29-2009, 06:24 PM
looks good except West instead of Jefferson

Kori Ellis
01-29-2009, 06:27 PM
at least no snaq oatmeal this year.....

wait he do something to get the medias attention.....

Shaquille O’Neal will make his return to the NBA’s All-Star Game on Feb. 15 in Phoenix, multiple front office sources told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday afternoon.

td4mvp21
01-29-2009, 06:29 PM
Mo Williams should have gotten in over Jameer Nelson...

Brazil
01-29-2009, 06:31 PM
Congrats TP ! now we can trade him for calderon

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Tony Parker doesn't pass the ball enough to be an All-Star.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Congrats to Parker. Three All-Star games puts him in some elite company in San Antonio.

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Robertson
Parker

As an aside, the Spurs also have a curious historical trend involving their All-Star players. By my count, only one player in Spurs history (to this point) has made one and only one NBA All-Star team; everyone else who's been an NBA All-Star has made at least 2 appearances:

11 - Duncan
10 - Robinson
9 - Gervin
3 - Robertson
3 - Parker
2 - Kenon
2 - Gilmore
2 - Elliott
1 - Ginobili

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
I cannot believe West made it. He has had a very mediocre year, and that is putting it nicely. Al Jefferson and Millsap belong over him. I also cannot believe that Ray Allen is not on the list, he has had an incredible year.

All NBA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>All Star

sonic21
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
rashard lewis? really?

ploto
01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
I assumend Tony was in so I am pleased to see Danny Granger and Chris Bosh on the list.

sonic21
01-29-2009, 06:42 PM
kobe, shaq and PJ on the same team :ihit

Jayem
01-29-2009, 06:43 PM
kobe and shaq team mates again! :downspin:

ClingingMars
01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
LOL @ no Nash

-Mars

FromWayDowntown
I'm not sure that West has been mediocre, but his selection over Jefferson is hard to understand as anything other than a product of: (1) being on a better team; or (2) being a carryover from last year.

HarlemHeat37
LOL @ David West over Al Jefferson..

LOL @ Orlando having 3 all-stars..

Jameer Nelson is putting up good numbers, but he's not an all-star player..Vince Carter or Ray Allen should have made it ahead of him..

I don't have a problem with anything else..

jcrod
01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I thought Hedo was playing better than Lewis?

And team record is why West got in over Jefferson.

dastrey
01-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm not sure that West has been mediocre, but his selection over Jefferson is hard to understand as anything other than a product of: (1) being on a better team; or (2) being a carryover from last year.

If Al Jefferson was playing with Chris Paul there is no doubt he would be an all-star. It is too bad voters like Reggie Miller don't understand this.

Solid D
01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Good news!!! Even though TP missed a few games early, he has been outstanding this year.

It's a shame Manu hasn't been able to contribute this season like he has in past years. If Manu had been healthy and made the All Star Team this year...the PHX fans probably would have booed him every time he touched the ball.

Kori Ellis
01-29-2009, 06:49 PM
If Al Jefferson was playing with Chris Paul there is no doubt he would be an all-star. It is too bad voters like Reggie Miller don't understand this.

Reggie Miller isn't a coach. The coaches pick the reserves. The reason West got it over Jefferson is because a lot of coaches don't vote for players on bad teams.

ChumpDumper
01-29-2009, 06:50 PM
No Calderon?

dastrey
01-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Reggie Miller isn't a coach. The coaches pick the reserves. The reason West got it over Jefferson is because a lot of coaches don't vote for players on bad teams.

You are correct. I just don't understand why coaches think the same way as Reggie. If you swap Gasol or West with Jefferson, the Timberwolves would not be any better.

tlongII
01-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Tough break for both Deron Williams and Mo Williams.

DAF86
01-29-2009, 06:55 PM

Nah, I think he'll take the rest.

What the hell is Rashard Lewis doing instead of Turkoglu?

And congrats to Tony, he deserve it. I was a little bit worried that Nash was going to be selected.

lefty
01-29-2009, 06:55 PM
WTF is Manu

And David West is an all-star

Doesn`t make sense

Spurs Brazil
01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Congrats TP. Playing a great season.

Pauleta14
01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Congrats Tony, well deserved!!
Think we can expect an "offend" Nash tonight!
It's fine, Tony's always hot in Phoenix...

Pauleta14
01-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Congrats TP ! now we can trade him for calderon

:tu:lol

ploto
01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
The reason West got it over Jefferson is because a lot of coaches don't vote for players on bad teams.

Granger and Bosh got in.

sa_butta
01-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Any word on if Mason made the 3pt. contest?

Behrooz24
01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Any word on if Mason made the 3pt. contest?

Nothing announced yet

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
winning is severely overrated when it comes to the all-star game..if you put Al Jefferson on NO, they aren't worse than they are now..

winning is everything in general, but the all-star game is about individuals and for entertainment..

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Granger and Bosh got in.

So did Devin Harris (Nets are 20-26).

I can understand a preference for players on better teams, but it's hard to ignore what Jefferson has done -- and even if you chose to refuse him a nod because of his team's record, I think there were better big man choices among the West contenders than David West.

Soul
01-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Nah, I think he'll take the rest.

What the hell is Rashard Lewis doing instead of Turkoglu?

And congrats to Tony, he deserve it. I was a little bit worried that Nash was going to be selected.

From a Magic fan, Rashard is owning Turk this year.

InK
01-29-2009, 07:20 PM
No Calderon?

Was just about to post that. Its an outrage

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 07:22 PM
West has had a beyond mediocre year. Look at his shooting %, look at his piss poor rebounding and look at how the team struggles with him on the floor at times. That is not to say he is a bad player, but he did not deserve an all-star vote.

DAF86
01-29-2009, 07:28 PM
From a Magic fan, Rashard is owning Turk this year.

In scoring, but Turkoglu does much more than Lewis as an all around basketball player, Hedo is a playmaker, Rashard is just a jumpshooter. I think netheir of them should have got in. But if one of those two has to make it, my vote goes to the Turk.

TMTTRIO
01-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Congrats to Tony. He really deserves it.

timtonymanu
David West again? He might have deserved it last year but the Hornets were good last year. they arent as good right now as they were last year.

Jefferson, Melo > West

timtonymanu
also congrats to Tony!

manufor3
01-29-2009, 07:35 PM
jefferson over west

Pauleta14
01-29-2009, 07:36 PM
West has had a beyond mediocre year. Look at his shooting %, look at his piss poor rebounding and look at how the team struggles with him on the floor at times. That is not to say he is a bad player, but he did not deserve an all-star vote.

Agree with that but he is in a winning team...
That's all that maters for coaches (and I think its a good criteria)

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Agree with that but he is in a winning team...
That's all that maters for coaches (and I think its a good criteria)

Then how do you explain Devin Harris and Danny Granger and Chris Bosh?

Rynospursfan
01-29-2009, 07:42 PM

Those are different coaches.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Those are different coaches.

You would think that coaches around the league have the same criteria no?

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 07:44 PM
While I disagree with West's inclusion, I think it's a bit unfair to say he's having a mediocre or beyond mediocre year.

I'm not sure when a guy who goes 20.0 ppg, 7.1 rpg, on 47% from the field became a mediocre player.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 07:47 PM
While I disagree with West's inclusion, I think it's a bit unfair to say he's having a mediocre or beyond mediocre year.

I'm not sure when a guy who goes 20.0 ppg, 7.1 rpg, on 47% from the field became a mediocre player.

Impact. Those are empty stats. Look at his rebounding rate, not his total rebounds. 47% is not that great for a power forward (although it is very respectable).

Also, his defense has been sub par. Ask Hornets fans. If you look at all the PF that have played in a single game this year (which includes some guys who only played once or took only a few shots) he ranks around 78th in fg %. That is not very good.

duncan228
01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Congrats to Parker. He's having a good year and he wanted to go. His resume is looking awful good for how young he is.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Impact. Those are empty stats. Look at his rebounding rate, not his total rebounds. 47% is not that great for a power forward (although it is very respectable).

Also, his defense has been sub par. Ask Hornets fans. If you look at all the PF that have played in a single game this year (which includes some guys who only played once or took only a few shots) he ranks around 78th in fg %. That is not very good.

Is David West somewhere in the top 5 or 6 power forwards in the conference? I'd say he is, despite his rebounding rate. His numbers this year -- at least in terms of Hollinger-type metrics -- are basically indistinguishable from his numbers last year. He's not rebounding as well, but he's scoring about the same while being more efficient (hence, his lower usage rate this year without a drop in scoring).

If being among the top 5 or 6 PF in the conference is only mediocre, I think our expectations have gotten out of whack.

It's okay to me to say that West isn't as good as he was last year; and it's okay to me to say that he doesn't deserve an All-Star nod. Both of those statements are probably true in more than just a subjective sense. But to say that either of those things are true because West isn't as good this year as he was during his great 2007-08 season and that the decline in his play makes him only "mediocre" strikes me as being far-fetched.

Pauleta14
01-29-2009, 07:59 PM

I'm not saying it's "mecanic", neither that it is fair, but each time I heard a coach talk about it,that was their main argument(whitch is not surprising coming from coaches...).
The EAST is different bcause there are 3 teams that "killed" the competition, so either you celect 3 guys of each team (whitch would be deserved) and it doesn't really represent the "talent" the eastern confernce has (whitch is the goal of the AST)
either you "mix" with guys who deserves it, with some "injustice" 'cause of the N° of plyers "allowed"...
Life is not fair my bro !:lol

And Devin Harris = MIP so far...

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Is David West somewhere in the top 5 or 6 power forwards in the conference? I'd say he is, despite his rebounding rate. His numbers this year -- at least in terms of Hollinger-type metrics -- are basically indistinguishable from his numbers last year. He's not rebounding as well, but he's scoring about the same while being more efficient (hence, his lower usage rate this year without a drop in scoring).

If being among the top 5 or 6 PF in the conference is only mediocre, I think our expectations have gotten out of whack.

It's okay to me to say that West isn't as good as he was last year; and it's okay to me to say that he doesn't deserve an All-Star nod. Both of those statements are probably true in more than just a subjective sense. But to say that either of those things are true because West isn't as good this year as he was during his great 2007-08 season and that the decline in his play makes him only "mediocre" strikes me as being far-fetched.

Of course he is a good power forward, but if all stars are supposed to be the best players for the year, then there is at least 3 forwards playing better than him. The only time winning should come into play is if two players have had = years making it a tough decision, then the guy with the winning record should go.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Like I say, it seems to me that calling West's year "beyond mediocre" isn't a very good take. He's still among the best in the league at his position and puts up numbers that are much, much better than an average player's -- hardly the stuff of mediocrity.

That he isn't an All-Star (arguably) doesn't make him mediocre.

Pauleta14
01-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Congrats to Parker. He's having a good year and he wanted to go. His resume is looking awful good for how young he is.

It's scary when you think that usualy people reach their peek at the age of 28-29!!
He still has so much room for improvement and has already done so much!
I keep thinking he is/has always been a bargain for the Spurs!! :lol

mystargtr34
01-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Al Jefferson is just a flat out better player than David West. They were terrible at the start of the season, but since the turn of the calender year the Wolves have the best record in the league.

If Granger and Harris got in over Ray Allen and Mo Williams because they had better statistics and they were 'better' players on losing teams, then Jefferson should make the West Roster.

dastrey
01-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Now Reggie Miller thinks Mo Williams deserved to be an all-star over Devin Harris because he is on a winning team.

DPG21920
01-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Like I say, it seems to me that calling West's year "beyond mediocre" isn't a very good take. He's still among the best in the league at his position and puts up numbers that are much, much better than an average player's -- hardly the stuff of mediocrity.

That he isn't an All-Star (arguably) doesn't make him mediocre.

I did not say he is mediocre, I said he is having a mediocre season. Meaning, for a player of his caliber, he is under performing.

timvp
01-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Now Reggie Miller thinks Mo Williams deserved to be an all-star over Devin Harris because he is on a winning team.Don't let a Mav Fan see me say this but Devin Harris has gotten progressively worse as the season has gone on.

01-29-2009, 08:22 PM
west over jefferson? are you kidding me? oh well, jefferson is young. he will have plenty of more chances to make it.

FromWayDowntown
01-29-2009, 08:25 PM
I did not say he is mediocre, I said he is having a mediocre season. Meaning, for a player of his caliber, he is under performing.

But he's not! West isn't as good as he was last year, statistically; but the difference isn't much. And even with that decline, his season has hardly been just mediocre.

Do you really think that David West, in 2008-09, is nothing more than an average power forward? I don't know how you can argue with a straight face that his season places him just sort of in the middle of the pack, statistically or otherwise.

Has he fallen a bit relative to the elite power forwards in the game? Maybe. Is he still better, even with his reduced numbers in 2008-09, than most of the guys who are playing the game right now? Absolutely.

That's, by definition, not a mediocre season.

timvp
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I wonder what the chances are of Roy getting some sort of nagging injury, withdrawing and then Stern replacing him with Nash? 75%?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Congrats to Tony and my boy D Granger.

:tu

exstatic
01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Don't let a Mav Fan see me say this but Devin Harris has gotten progressively worse as the season has gone on.

I think teams are catching on that they need to back off and make him shoot. He's struggling to score efficiently the way Parker did before Chip got here.

SequSpur
01-29-2009, 08:45 PM
To Manu Fan,

SMB.

-Sequ

PS: TP is the best player in the NBA!!!! :elephant

dirk4mvp
01-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Don't let a Mav Fan see me say this but Devin Harris has gotten progressively worse as the season has gone on.

Every one knows this. Why do you think the Nets have been selling tickets at 75 cents? No one wants to see him play.

duncan228
01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Parker an All-Star again (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/01/parker-an-allst-1.html)
By Jeff McDonald

Spurs point guard Tony Parker made no secret of his desire to join the Western Conference All-Stars as a reserve (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parker_hopes_to_return_to_Phoenix_soon.html). Tonight, he got his wish.

Parker was one of 14 reserves — seven from each conference — selected by the league's coaches, the NBA has announced. This will be the third All-Star game for Parker, who also appeared as a reserve in 2006 and 2007.

Joining Parker on the bench for the West will be Phoenix center Shaquille O'Neal, Denver point guard Chauncey Billups, Lakers forward Pau Gasol, Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki, Portland guard Brandon Roy and New Orleans forward David West.

The game will be played Feb. 15 in Phoenix.

Spurs forward Tim Duncan is also slated to appear in the game. Fans elected him a starter for the 10th season in a row.

exstatic
01-29-2009, 08:51 PM
Every one knows this. Why do you think the Nets have been selling tickets at 75 cents? No one wants to see him play.

Your bitter is showing. The Nets are selling tix at 75 cents because no one wants to drive all the way out to the Swamp that is the Meadowlands to see them.

Devin is still short of his 26th birthday, and if he got a shooting coach, he'd BE Tony Parker instead of a decent imitation.

peskypesky
01-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Congrats, Tony!

And I agree with others saying West didn't deserve it over Jefferson.

And it's wild to think Nash, who won back-to-back MVP's not too long ago, is not an All-star.

Rogue
01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I have seen it, so have millions of other mavs fans. Harris is pretty cute at knocking down the defense with breaking and his shooting skills also improved a lot, but his assist number is still pretty small for a PG. Harris is just tony parker-type of PG who throws the organizing work to TD, but Nets have got no TD-like player. Harris was pretty good in dallas because drik could do what duncan is doing for spurs, but nets have no PF or C whose IQ is above 90, yi's 45 IQ is really unbelievable in particular. Devin is still a good player but just playing for the wrong team.

dirk4mvp
01-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Your bitter is showing. The Nets are selling tix at 75 cents because no one wants to drive all the way out to the Swamp that is the Meadowlands to see them.

Devin is still short of his 26th birthday, and if he got a shooting coach, he'd BE Tony Parker instead of a decent imitation.

I thought it was my sarcasm rather than my 'bitter'.

peskypesky
01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
isn't it weird that not one SF made the west team?

Yorae
01-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Tony and duncan....just don't fucking hurt yourself in an asg....

milkyway21
01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO TONY! :clap:clap:clap

:worthy: Tony & Tim @ the 2009 ASG. :worthy:

sonic21
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Tony and duncan....just don't fucking hurt yourself in an asg....

the eastern players are safe, Bynum isn't selected :tu

bdictjames
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Its good that another Spurs player gets it outside Duncan. :]

I hope they have fun.

duncan228
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Its good that another Spurs player gets it outside Duncan. :]

I hope they have fun.

Me too. Duncan has said it's more fun when a teammate is there. There was great footage of him with Parker and Manu. It's always nice to see them relaxed together.

Pauleta14
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
the eastern players are safe, Bynum isn't selected :tu

:lol

I can't believe he"s no suspended!

m33p0
01-29-2009, 10:04 PM
:clap :clap

Rapper
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Good for Tony, Congrats to him

Tony definitely deserves this

Spork KIller
01-29-2009, 10:50 PM
The only reason Parker made the All-Star team was cuz Carmelo Anthony is injured.

spursfan09
01-29-2009, 10:59 PM
This message is hidden because Spork KIller is on your ignore list.

I'm sure, Spork Killer, you are offering your congrats to Tony Parker. So :tu

superbigtime
01-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Ray Allen should have made it over Rashard. I'm not sure how Vince Carter isn't an All Star. Jameer Nelson...eh. Feel bad that David lee was not chosen, but maybe this wil help keep him as a dark horse for the future.

Millsap and Al Jefferson either one should have made it over David West. I think West is a very good player...obviously is a huge headache for the Spurs. But he has not had the kind of year he had this past year. Millsap has been great.

Congratulations Tony! you deserve it!

Go Spurs!

Ice009
01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
eDIT : WRONG THREAD.

Admidave50
01-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Congrats, Tony deserves it

tp2021
01-30-2009, 01:20 AM

Check.

SequSpur
01-30-2009, 01:23 AM
tony doesn't have to prove shit, the guy is fuckin awesome. he should be automatic for the allstar game, the rest of these fucks should have to dethrone him...

the fans don't know shit about basketball, it's obvious, alot of them log in here.

Chieflion
01-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Deron Williams was snubbed. Orlando has 3 all stars? Where is Mo Williams (Jameer Nelson)?