PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Parker Selected As All-Star Reserve

duncan228
01-30-2009, 02:32 AM
Parker selected as All-Star reserve (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Parker_selected_as_All-Star_reserve.html)
Mike Monroe

PHOENIX — As crowded as the field of All-Star caliber guards was in the Western Conference this season, Spurs point guard Tony Parker still believes breaking through to make his very first All-Star Game in 2007 was more difficult than winning over the coaches this week.

The Western coaches made Parker an All-Star for the third consecutive year, naming him one of three guards added to the 12-man All-Star roster.

“It's a great honor always, and especially this year because there are so many great guards in the Western Conference,” Parker said, “but I still think it was tougher that first year. But every year I make it, it makes you feel very humble.”

Parker, Denver's Chauncey Billups and Portland's Brandon Roy were named to join starters Kobe Bryant and Chris Paul in the Western back court.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich endorsed Parker's selection.

“It's always an honor for a player to make it,” said Popovich, who celebrated his 60th birthday on Wednesday. “I know he's thrilled and we're thrilled for him. It's a wonderful thing.”

Suns point guard Steve Nash, a six-time All-Star and a two-time MVP, was left off the team despite the fact the All-Star Game will be held in Phoenix.

“The truth is I don't really deserve it,” Nash said before taking the floor at the US Airways Center against Parker. “Our team is in seventh place. Maybe if we were in fourth or fifth it would be a different story.

“There's other guys that are more deserving this year. We should celebrate and be happy for them.”

Parker's scoring average (20.4) and assists average (6.6) are career highs.

“I think I've had a good year, scoring the highest average of my career and having my highest assists (average), but I also know I can be much better,” he said. “Hopefully, I will play even better in the second half of the season.”

Hill philosophical: Spurs rookie George Hill said being left off the rookie team for the All-Star Weekend rookie challenge was a disappointment, but a small one.

The nine-player team was announced on Wednesday.

“I'm not going to let it spoil anything for me,” Hill said. “I think my bonus is getting to play on a winning team. You look at the guys who made it, and only the Portland guys are playing for a team with a winning record.

“When we get to late April, I'm still going to be playing, and most of those guys will be watching. Besides, I've already got a trip planned to spend the weekend with my grandmother and the rest of my family in Indianapolis.”

Fine coaching: Popovich didn't plan it that way, but his use of the “Hack-A-Shaq” tactic of intentionally fouling Suns center Shaquille O'Neal, a notoriously challenged foul shooter, appears to have made a breakthrough for the veteran center.

O'Neal has made 68.3 percent of his foul shots in December and January, a big improvement for a career 52.4 percent free thrower.

“I would like to take full credit for Shaq's improvement,” Popovich said, “because I think I have helped him to focus, and that's the job of a coach: To help a player focus.

“You usually try to get players to focus who wear the same color uniform as the players you're coaching, so I got that part of it wrong.”

timvp
01-30-2009, 02:34 AM
“I think I've had a good year, scoring the highest average of my career and having my highest assists (average), but I also know I can be much better,” he said. “Hopefully, I will play even better in the second half of the season.”:tu

Yorae
01-30-2009, 02:34 AM
O'neal owes Pop.

polandprzem
01-30-2009, 02:44 AM
haha

Pop always can take good from bad :tu

timtonymanu
01-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Well deserved Parker!

Hopefully Hill being snubbed will motivate him to play better after the all-star break.

timaios
01-30-2009, 03:05 AM
As crowded as the field of All-Star caliber guards was in the Western Conference this season, Spurs point guard Tony Parker still believes breaking through to make his very first All-Star Game in 2007 was more difficult than winning over the coaches this week.

His 1st all-star game was in 2006.

The Western coaches made Parker an All-Star for the third consecutive year, naming him one of three guards added to the 12-man All-Star roster.

TP was not an all-star last year.

He was an all-star in 2006, 2007 and now 2009.

Yorae
01-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Wow monroe hanging out with macdonald now?

spursparker9
01-30-2009, 03:34 AM
lol @ pop

romain.star
01-30-2009, 04:57 AM
pop's smartness is mad

Danny.Zhu
01-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Bruce is out. That's so not fair.

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 05:41 AM
O'Neal has made 68.3 percent of his foul shots in December and January, a big improvement for a career 52.4 percent free thrower.

“I would like to take full credit for Shaq's improvement,” Popovich said, “because I think I have helped him to focus, and that's the job of a coach: To help a player focus.

“You usually try to get players to focus who wear the same color uniform as the players you're coaching, so I got that part of it wrong.”

I might have to save this. Pop is agoddamn genius.
:toast

Brazil
01-30-2009, 08:04 AM
Suns point guard Steve Nash, a six-time All-Star and a two-time MVP, was left off the team despite the fact the All-Star Game will be held in Phoenix.

“The truth is I don't really deserve it,” Nash said before taking the floor at the US Airways Center against Parker. “Our team is in seventh place. Maybe if we were in fourth or fifth it would be a different story.

“There's other guys that are more deserving this year. We should celebrate and be happy for them.”

Prop to Nash he always stays class

Spurs Brazil
01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
His 1st all-star game was in 2006.

TP was not an all-star last year.

He was an all-star in 2006, 2007 and now 2009.

Monroe is terrible

Congrats TP!!!

honestfool84
01-30-2009, 02:24 PM

very classy.

tp2021
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM
There's always somebody getting bashed at ST.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Good for TP.

Now at least Tim has some company. He looked so bored last year.

rascal
01-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Well deserved Parker!

Hopefully Hill being snubbed will motivate him to play better after the all-star break.

Parker deserved it. Hill was not snubbed. He is a backup now and there are other rookies starting and getting more minutes so they have better stats.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-30-2009, 02:31 PM
“I'm not going to let it spoil anything for me,” Hill said. “I think my bonus is getting to play on a winning team. You look at the guys who made it, and only the Portland guys are playing for a team with a winning record.

“When we get to late April, I'm still going to be playing, and most of those guys will be watching. Besides, I've already got a trip planned to spend the weekend with my grandmother and the rest of my family in Indianapolis.”

This is great and promising. Conversely , on Sunday the Bynum kid was moping and semi-bitching on the mic "...too little too late " (boo hoo) about not making the all-star game when asked about him improved play in the recent weeks after the Laker win and how he didn't achieve his goal of being an all star this season. At least George Hill sees the bigger picture.

JPB
01-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Hill philosophical: Spurs rookie George Hill said being left off the rookie team for the All-Star Weekend rookie challenge was a disappointment, but a small one.

The nine-player team was announced on Wednesday.

“When we get to late April, I'm still going to be playing, and most of those guys will be watching."

Wow !
Eat that !

ShoogarBear
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow monroe hanging out with macdonald now?

Monroe has always been the Master of Misstatement, the Earl of Errors, and the Iman of Inaccuracies.

tp2021
01-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Good for TP.

Now at least Tim has some company. He looked so bored last year.

I remember once when the starters were introduced, and this happened (at 2:43):
kz3SP-LDjt8
Seeing Tim and Yao do it cracked me up, especially since Yao was better at it.

MoSpur
01-30-2009, 02:41 PM
I am so happy for TP. Him and Tim carried the Spurs in the beginning.

leemajors
01-30-2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Y38z_QC04&eurl=