PDA

View Full Version : 44 Free Throws?

tlongII
01-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Seriously? And you guys complain about officiating? LMAO!

:lmao

m33p0
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
intentional fouls + dribble penetrations. :rolleyes

Rummpd
01-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Spurs were the aggressors (and 8 freebee shots were for Bowen or Nash's inane fouling in the last 30 seconds) but it was noted by TNT they get to the line less than any team in basketball - how do you justify that with Parker going to the rim, Duncan playing inside etc. Simply put you do not, Spurs often shafted by NBA refs.

By the way expect Portland to do it usual late season fade about now.

m33p0
01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
shouldn't you be worrying about the state of your salary cap?

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Fail.Again.

rolleyes
01-30-2009, 10:42 AM

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes
:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

urunobili
01-30-2009, 10:43 AM
shouldn't you be worrying about the state of your salary cap?

he has been more busy attention whoring with endless Oden thread's instead of feedING the sticky official one he has on the basketball forum... :wakeup

sonic21
01-30-2009, 10:44 AM
FAIL

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff322/yinwest/34q08b4.gif

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM

You are one special kind of stupid.

ShoogarBear
01-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Are they passing the hat for D. Miles' salary in Portland?

ss1986v2

7 off intentional fouls, 3 off techs. do you even watch basketball? minus those, and its only a +9 ft differential.

m33p0
FAIL

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff322/yinwest/34q08b4.gif
that has got to hurt:lol

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-30-2009, 10:55 AM
7 off intentional fouls, 3 off techs. do you even watch basketball? minus those, and its only a +9 ft differential.

And he also forgets to mention Manu getting in the paint at will. I love it when people act like free throws are a gift from god and if one team has more than the other, it's the ref's fault.

MarHill
01-30-2009, 11:10 AM
And he also forgets to mention Manu getting in the paint at will. I love it when people act like free throws are a gift from god and if one team has more than the other, it's the ref's fault.

Thank you!!

:toast

Obstructed_View
01-30-2009, 01:08 PM
44 free throws and I still have plenty to bitch about. The Spurs didn't get ENOUGH calls. Until Duncan's technical, they were getting screwed.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
44 free throws and I still have plenty to bitch about. The Spurs didn't get ENOUGH calls. Until Duncan's technical, they were getting screwed.

Calls missed on both ends. Overall neither team could pull the bad officiating card if they lost, maybe one team got slightly more calls than the other, but nothing significant. Suns just played D that bad.

td4mvp21
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
tlong should start watching games. The Suns spotted the Spurs literally about 20 free throws off intentional fouls and technicals.

Xylus
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM

You won and you still bitch about officiating.

The officiating was bad for both teams. In the 1st half, it worked to the Suns favor, because not a lot of fouls were being called and the tempo didn't let up. In the 2nd half, it was in the Spurs favor, because a lot of fouls (I mean ones that weren't designated by Porter) were being called and it slowed the game down.

Officiating in general has been laughable this year.

ClingingMars
01-30-2009, 02:05 PM
You are one special kind of stupid.

OWNED BY A SUNS FAN ROFLCOPTER

timvp
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM
The Spurs are averaging 28.3 free throws in the last six games. Take out the Laker blowout and it's 30.8. Hopefully this trend continues . . .

ShoogarBear
01-30-2009, 02:51 PM
The Spurs are averaging 28.3 free throws in the last six games. Take out the Laker blowout and it's 30.8. Hopefully this trend continues . . .

Not coincidentally, it's only been in the last seven games that Manu has had three games with > 10 FTA (his only such ones of the year).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM
I will give a thanks to the Sun's defense on Manu though because of it I know my fantasy team is winning free throw % this week.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2009, 05:15 PM
I didn't win anything, thanks. And whether or not a team wins has little to do with the quality of the calls. You might search for how often I blame losses on officiating before you make an idiotic statement like that.

The officiating was bad for both teams. In the 1st half, it worked to the Suns favor, because not a lot of fouls were being called and the tempo didn't let up. In the 2nd half, it was in the Spurs favor, because a lot of fouls (I mean ones that weren't designated by Porter) were being called and it slowed the game down.

Officiating hasn't been any worse than it's been before, but Duncan typically doesn't get calls, especially against Shaq (and you can't deny that). He actually started to get some after the technical, but the Suns were getting a lot of stupid touch fouls up to that point. The Suns crowd thinks any decision that doesn't go their way is automatically a bad call, and the refs finally stopped listening.

And if you want to blame someone for fucking up the tempo of the game, talk to whoever decided to foul Bowen. The Spurs foul Shaq primarily to disrupt the tempo, and Porter did it for them. Notice the Spurs scored like ten straight points from the time it started.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-30-2009, 05:26 PM
The Suns crowd thinks any decision that doesn't go their way is automatically a bad call

Yeah, and so does every other crowd.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah, and so does every other crowd.

If it makes you feel better to convince yourself of that...

Manufan909
01-30-2009, 05:31 PM
He's right, every crowd is illogical. I remember the game where Horry knocked down West, and when West was on the ground, cringing in pain, I could hear the applause, and it sickened me. Especially at the restaurant I watched the game at, I was the only Spurs fan who was concerned.

Sigz
01-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Fucking Jailblazer faggot.

exstatic
01-30-2009, 10:41 PM

They hacked Bruce 3 times for 6 FTs and Manu got some intentionals at the end, too. Our average FTAs per game is 20, placing us in the bottom 10 in the league.

Cry Havoc
01-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Guides to not allowing a lot of FTs against the Spurs:

1. Don't give Manu 4 feet of space on the wing so he can get momentum started and run into defenders who have no ability to stay in front of him.

2. Don't allow Parker to do whatever the heck he wants with the ball. This means rolling under a pick instead of hedging is going to be our bread and butter all night unless you do something about it.

3. Don't have Steve the Sieve on defense.

Brazil
01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
4. Don't hack a bowen

Kindergarten Cop
01-30-2009, 11:25 PM
They hacked Bruce 3 times for 6 FTs and Manu got some intentionals at the end, too. Our average FTAs per game is 20, placing us in the bottom 10 in the league.

We are actually dead last in the NBA at getting to the line: 20.6 FTA/game.

Biggems
01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I wish Mason would drive more. He is too good a FT shooter to hardly get to the line. I would definitely prefer Mason, Finley, Manu, and Bonner to shoot FTs over Duncan, Bowen, and even Parker.

Biggems
01-31-2009, 12:08 AM

The officiating has always sucked. A foul should be a foul and a violation should be a violation, no matter who commits it.....be it a future HOFer, a league MVP, a rookie, or some journeyman scrub.

I have been watching the NBA basically all my life. I learned early on that superstars get the calls. Those players seldom fouled out, they got away with many violations, and were even allowed to be more verbally abusive to the refs than other players.

I learned that teams with certain reputations got more calls than others. If you are known for hardnosed defense, rebounding and tough play, less fouls were called on you than a finesse team. If you were aggressive the calls tended to go your way.

I hate that defensive players have perfect position and are merely occupying their own space....while the offensive player invades that space, initiates all the contact and is able to draw a foul on the defender. I hated the way Karl Malone and Reggie Miller would kick the defender on their jump shots and draw a foul. I hated that Malone would knee the defender in the chest or clear out with his elbows and draw the foul.

I understand that Superstars get the calls, and I am cool with it, since those are the guys that put butts in the seats and keep em there. This is why I am so frustrated with how disrespected Duncan has been over the last 2-3 years. He gets abused game in and game out and doesnt get any kind of calls that other superstars get. It pisses me off that Pau Gasol gets all kinds of weak calls, yet Timmy gets beaten like a pinball and hardly any love from the refs.

I dont expect role players or rookies to get any love from the refs, but I do expect superstars. I have been conditioned to feel this way since I first started watching the NBA about 30 years ago.

m33p0
01-31-2009, 12:17 AM
I wish Mason would drive more. He is too good a FT shooter to hardly get to the line. I would definitely prefer Mason, Finley, Manu, and Bonner to shoot FTs over Duncan, Bowen, and even Parker.
Mason doesn't have an explosive first step. he is also prone to turnovers whenever he is forced to pass off the dribble.

Yorae
01-31-2009, 02:35 AM
Uh.....228's job....

Foul tactics help Bowen improve free throws

Overnight, Bruce Bowen's free throw percentage jumped 25 percentage points, and he can thank Suns coach Terry Porter for the opportunity to make such a dramatic improvement.

In the Spurs' first 44 games, Bowen had played 898 minutes, but had gone to the foul line only eight times. He had made only two of his eight foul shots.

It was that 25 percent free throw percentage that prompted Porter to employ intentional foul tactics in the final 2:41 of the third quarter of the Spurs' 114-104 victory at U.S. Airways Center Thursday night, instructing his players to grab Bowen before the Spurs could get up a shot.

Bowen made 5 of 6 free throws after the intentional fouls. By game's end he had made 6 of 8, pushing his season free throw percentage to .500, on 8-of-16 shooting.

Bowen recalled the Mavericks having employed the same tactic in the 2006 Western Conference semifinals, with similar results.

“If they gave me a chance to get to the line, I knew I'd be all right,” he said, “because I'll have a chance to figure it out and get comfortable.

“I got one (free throw) Tuesday, in Utah, but prior to that it had been a long time.

Indeed, before going to the line in the Spurs' 106-100 victory in Utah, Bowen had shot only one foul shot in the previous 29 games.

“Eight all season?” he said. “Well, there you have it, and I got eight (Thursday). It's fun to be able to get a rhythm there and understand it and not even question what's going on.”

Suns point guard Steve Nash committed a tactical mistake when he intentionally fouled Bowen, away from the ball, with 37.6 seconds left and the Spurs holding a 109-104 lead.

Forgetting that away-from-the-play fouls in the final two minutes of a game allow the offended team to choose a player to shoot one foul shot, and then retain possession, Nash grabbed Bowen. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich chose Manu Ginobili to take the free throw.

“I got one as a gift,” said Ginobili, who broke Tim Duncan's franchise record of free throw makes in a game without a miss, going 18-for-18. “But I have to say something about Bruce's free throws: They were huge. Those situations are kind of weird, because it throws you out of rhythm. But if your teammate makes five out of six, and then you make stops on the other side, you can have a good run.”

Young legs: Veteran backup center Kurt Thomas grabbed nine rebounds and served as Tim Duncan's tag-team partner defending Suns center Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday.

What most impressed his teammates were two rebounds that he snatched away from O'Neal with what appeared to be outstanding vertical leaps.

“I'm able to pull some verticality out about once a month,” Thomas said, “so maybe this was it.”

m33p0
01-31-2009, 03:28 AM
Uh.....228's job....

Foul tactics help Bowen improve free throws

“I'm able to pull some verticality out about once a month,” Thomas said, “so maybe this was it.”
i thought his hook shot over matt barnes' outstretched arms after he won the rebound was impressive. :tu

703 Spurz
01-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Trolls will be trolls

exstatic
01-31-2009, 01:00 PM

Bonner FT% .750 6-8
Parker FT% .803 127-158

FAIL

ClingingMars
01-31-2009, 03:39 PM

+1

Biggems
01-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Bonner FT% .750 6-8
Parker FT% .803 127-158

FAIL

I know Parker is a better FT shooter now, but he misses clutch FTs still.

Chieflion
01-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Bonner FT% .750 6-8
Parker FT% .803 127-158

FAIL

You are comparing a small sample size with large sample size. Why is this even an argument? Fail.

This only shows Bonner cannot get to the line enough.

exstatic
01-31-2009, 08:17 PM
You are comparing a small sample size with large sample size. Why is this even an argument? Fail.

This only shows Bonner cannot get to the line enough.

I didn't compare the two, biggems did. I just shed some daylight on it. You...

FAIL

Xylus
02-02-2009, 01:17 AM
I didn't win anything, thanks. And whether or not a team wins has little to do with the quality of the calls. You might search for how often I blame losses on officiating before you make an idiotic statement like that.
I was talking about your criticism of this one game, not making a general statement about you. I think it's poor form to complain about some calls that didn't go your way when your team won the game handily.

Officiating hasn't been any worse than it's been before, but Duncan typically doesn't get calls, especially against Shaq (and you can't deny that). He actually started to get some after the technical, but the Suns were getting a lot of stupid touch fouls up to that point. The Suns crowd thinks any decision that doesn't go their way is automatically a bad call, and the refs finally stopped listening.
You can complain about Duncan not getting calls against Shaq, but I can complain about Shaq being constantly mistreated by the refs because of his enormous size. :'''(

And if you want to blame someone for fucking up the tempo of the game, talk to whoever decided to foul Bowen. The Spurs foul Shaq primarily to disrupt the tempo, and Porter did it for them. Notice the Spurs scored like ten straight points from the time it started.
I did blame Porter. Check the game topic, after the game ended. I want the dude fired.

But the tempo slow-down started before Porter hacked-a-Bowen and continued afterward.

Xylus
02-02-2009, 01:18 AM
Guides to not allowing a lot of FTs against the Spurs:

1. Don't give Manu 4 feet of space on the wing so he can get momentum started and run into defenders who have no ability to stay in front of him.

2. Don't allow Parker to do whatever the heck he wants with the ball. This means rolling under a pick instead of hedging is going to be our bread and butter all night unless you do something about it.

3. Don't have Steve the Sieve on defense.

Those 3 things happen everytime the Suns play the Spurs, but there isn't always such a big FT difference. :lol

MI21
02-02-2009, 01:28 AM
I know he isn't exactly a slasher or goes hard to the rim, but Matt Bonner has only taken 8 FT's the whole year? That's ridiculous.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2009, 01:33 AM
I was talking about your criticism of this one game, not making a general statement about you. I think it's poor form to complain about some calls that didn't go your way when your team won the game handily.
I'm sure you as a Suns fan think it's much better form to whine about officiating when your team loses. I don't look at the outcome of the game when I'm critiquing the officiating any more than I look at the box score and count the free throw differential. Either is irrelevant. Besides, I was simply responding to someone pointing to free throw attempts in one game to attempt to make the case that Spurs fans have no reason to be annoyed at the officiating when the Spurs are last in the league in free throw attempts despite having three all-star caliber players who are all very aggressive in the paint.

You can complain about Duncan not getting calls against Shaq, but I can complain about Shaq being constantly mistreated by the refs because of his enormous size. :'''(
If we each do that I assure you only one of us is getting laughed at, and it ain't me.

I did blame Porter. Check the game topic, after the game ended. I want the dude fired.

But the tempo slow-down started before Porter hacked-a-Bowen and continued afterward.
The tempo was fast when the Suns were getting all the calls. If anyone's responsible for that ending, it's probably Duncan for getting the T.

phyzik
02-02-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm sure you as a Suns fan think it's much better form to whine about officiating when your team loses. I don't look at the outcome of the game when I'm critiquing the officiating any more than I look at the box score and count the free throw differential. Either is irrelevant. Besides, I was simply responding to someone pointing to free throw attempts in one game to attempt to make the case that Spurs fans have no reason to be annoyed at the officiating when the Spurs are last in the league in free throw attempts despite having three all-star caliber players who are all very aggressive in the paint.

If we each do that I assure you only one of us is getting laughed at, and it ain't me.

The tempo was fast when the Suns were getting all the calls. If anyone's responsible for that ending, it's probably Duncan for getting the T.

Win

Xylus
02-02-2009, 01:47 AM

I make a point of not complaining about officiating; not if it's a contribution to my team's loss, or an obstacle that had to be overcome along the way to my team's victory. It's poor sportsmanship during a win, and it's whining during a loss. I'm not sure what my being a Suns fan has anything to do with my opinion, but it doesn't surprise me that you made a generality to boost your argument.

As for the Spurs being last in the league in free throw attempts, it doesn't really surprise me. Duncan and Parker obviously should get to the line often, but Ginobili is primarily a jump-shooter this year, and almost all of your role players are jump-shooters, as well. Plus, Parker and Ginobili both missed significant time at the beginning of the year, which surely had an effect on that statistic.

WildcardManu
02-02-2009, 03:18 AM
Waiting on the OP comeback.

m33p0
02-02-2009, 03:46 AM
Waiting on the OP comeback.
you'll be waiting for a long time coz there's no coming back from such epic ownage.

Yorae
02-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Duncan and Parker obviously should get to the line often, but Ginobili is primarily a jump-shooter this year, and almost all of your role players are jump-shooters, as well.

Not anymore....

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/3c/fullj.73766d79a9df9fb0c9775062bb6cf737/73766d79a9df9fb0c9775062bb6cf737-getty-82996016rm004_new_orleans_h.jpg

Xylus
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Not anymore...

These last couple of games have been the most aggressive I've seen him play this year. If Manu's healthy and aggressive like that in the postseason, you guys will beat the Lakers.

Manufan909
02-02-2009, 12:49 PM
i thought his hook shot over matt barnes' outstretched arms after he won the rebound was impressive. :tu

It was truly a thing of beauty. Only a two-handed slam would be better.:king