PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Horry still out of comfort zone

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Horry still out of comfort zone
Web Posted: 03/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030305.6C.BKNspurs.horry.fe29d906.html

Two-thirds of the way through his second season with the Spurs, backup power forward Robert Horry hasn't found a comfortable spot in the rotation, not even after the departure of Malik Rose.

Before the Spurs traded Rose to the New York Knicks on Feb. 26, Horry found himself in one game, out the next, his minutes dependant on matchups, the flow of the game and the whim of coach Gregg Popovich.

In the Spurs' final game before the All-Star break, at New Orleans, Horry didn't play, mostly because he has a slight fracture in his right fubula that occasionally produces pain, and Popovich wanted to let him rest. But even after the seven-day break, Horry found himself cemented to the bench against Houston at the SBC Center on Feb. 23.

Rose is gone, but with 6-foot-10 Nazr Mohammed joining the roster in the deal, Horry isn't sure where he stands in Popovich's substitution pattern.

After his season-high 13 points helped the Spurs defeat the Toronto Raptors on Wednesday, Horry was asked if he felt more comfortable in his backup role with Rose gone. His response: a rolling of the eyes and a suggestion his interrogator re-think the question.

"It hasn't really changed," Horry said. "It's still the same."

According to Popovich, Rose's departure ought to ease whatever anxiety Horry had about the bench role he had shared with Rose.

"I think so," Popovich said, "because at that position he and Malik really didn't know who was going to play each night. Depending on how the game went, one would get a great deal more of minutes. The other might not get any at all. Hopefully he can stay healthy and benefit from that."

In fact, Horry said, Rose's departure presented him both an opportunity and a challenge.

"I told myself a couple days ago: "With 'Leaky' gone, don't put any pressure on yourself. Just go out there and just have fun and enjoy the game.' I think that's what helped me out tonight."

Horry acknowledged that he began to feel more comfortable during his highly productive 16 minutes Wednesday. He was the Spurs' first big man off the bench, replacing Rasho Nesterovic six minutes into the first period. He logged another four minutes in the second quarter and had his most productive stretch in the third period, scoring seven points to help the Spurs gain a 21-point lead.

"If you look at it," Horry said, "I hadn't really played in about two weeks, and we hadn't practiced much, either. When I got out there tonight it was the first time I cold really feel comfortable in a long time."

It also was the first time Horry had made a 3-point shot in six games, and the first time he had made multiple 3-pointers since Jan. 2, a span of 25 games

"About time, huh?" said Horry, a big man known as much for his clutch long-range shooting as his work around the basket. "Sometimes it just takes a while, but I felt very comfortable shooting them tonight."

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Popovich: Roster moves unlikely any time soon
Web Posted: 03/03/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA030305.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.fe29d899.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the team probably won't fill the opening on its 15-man roster any time soon, if at all.

If the Spurs activate backup point guard Mike Wilks before Tuesday's game against New Jersey, they would carry only two players on the injured list.

The Spurs have considered bringing in another power forward, but value the flexibility the opening gives them. They also are trying to work center Nazr Mohammed into the system and aren't interested in further tinkering with the team's chemistry.

"We're not sure what we're going to do with it down the stretch," Popovich said.

Tony Massenburg, who has primarily played center, might begin to start practicing at power forward in case the team needs depth at the position.

Johnson on the mend: Linton Johnson III underwent a CT scan Tuesday that showed the bone in his left foot has healed, Popovich said.

He could be cleared for contact in another week to 10 days.

"He has to work through some pain now, get those ligaments doing things they haven't done in a long time and work out some scar tissue," Popovich said.

Rosy outlook: With today marking the one-week anniversary of Malik Rose's trade to New York, Popovich said the deal probably has affected the team's chemistry.

Hopefully, he said, only for the short term.

"As solid as the trade might be basketball-wise and business-wise for the future, it's just as horrible to do it on a personal and chemistry level," Popovich said. "(Rose) is highly respected. He brought a lot of humor in the locker room.

"It was gut-wrenching to do it, and there's a void. We're repairing that right now. Other people will be talking in the locker room. Time heals that stuff."

In the rafters: The Spurs will retire Sean Elliott's No. 32 jersey after Sunday's game against Utah.

The ceremony will double as a reunion of some of his former teammates.

David Robinson, Steve Kerr and Avery Johnson are expected to attend. Arizona coach Lute Olson and Gov. Rick Perry also are on the guest list.

The Spurs have only single tickets remaining for sale. Fox Sports Net will televise the ceremony after the game.

whottt
03-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Geez, Horry spent too much time in LA. He sounds like a drama queen in that article. Sac up and STFU up Rob.

I really don't know why he's whining about his spot...he beat out Malik last season and he did it again this season...Pop went with him against LA and he underperformed until the last game. He got too many minutes in that series. Malik got 18 mins of PT for the entire series I think.

I really don't want to hear Horry whining about minutes after the gutwrenching Rose trade.

I dunno I think that there may be something to the talk that Horry is done. He has choked two years in a row..Now he's talking like a choker. For the first time I would support getting rid of Horry. He's not only done his whining has to be hurting the team.

DRob's presence is missed maybe.

timvp
03-03-2005, 03:16 AM
Nice. Spurs trade away Rose and now Horry is acting like a baby. He's acting like he's done something as a Spur to warrant big minutes.

He hasn't.

whottt
03-03-2005, 03:20 AM
Nice. Spurs trade away Rose and now Horry is acting like a baby. He's acting like he's done something as a Spur to warrant big minutes.

He hasn't.

Right, and no one forced him to return. If minutes were a problem he could have gone somewhere else...he needs to not whine about it when he chose to come here(to get a ring).

timvp
03-03-2005, 03:27 AM
I thought at least Horry was a team player and would roll with whatever time Pop gave him. I didn't know he's turned into a lil' biznitch.

Then again, it's been a while since someone did a story about him.

whottt
03-03-2005, 03:29 AM
I thought at least Horry was a team player

Me too...I thought all Horry cared about was winning and stats and minutes were unimportant to him...he's damn sure always played like stats were unimportant to him.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 03:30 AM
I would have given him the excuse that some of his comments may have been taken out of context. But with this ...

His response: a rolling of the eyes and a suggestion his interrogator re-think the question.

Probably not. :(

whottt
03-03-2005, 03:34 AM
I know they are struggling with not knowing their role because they all get yanked or DNPED for no reason sometimes(and that is on Pop)...but taking it to the media and whining isn't gonna solve anything.

More than likely it will piss Pop off and result in even more bench time.

We need to bring back Willis to slap some guys upside the head when they start talking like this. :)

Hmm...maybe that's why the Spurs were considering bringing Smitty back. He might have sucked on the court but there's no denying that he kept his mouth shut about PT for the good of the team and set an example for other guys.

cqsallie
03-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Me too...I thought all Horry cared about was winning and stats and minutes were unimportant to him...he's damn sure always played like stats were unimportant to him.
After reading your posts, I went back and re-read the article. I still don't get where you guys get the "whining" bit. I didn't read it that way, but I'm always ready to admit that I'm wrong.
There could be a lot of truth to the opinion that the Spurs have more talent than minutes. Every time you turn around, some hugely talented player is either joining the team or being activated. Then, you're lucky if you see them play two minutes in the course of a three-game week.
I might need to step back a few paces and stop being so involved in every word of hype that accompanies new acquisitions and "off the injured list players." I tend to perk up and expect a lot, only to see the same-old, same-old.
A few nights ago, I posted that I saw a trend - something I couldn't say for sure was a big deal - that didn't look good for the Spurs in the long haul. Yes, we keep winning, but... :depressed

whottt
03-03-2005, 03:53 AM
He just needs to STFU not roll his eyes back in his head, and say he's happy with his minutes, his role and happy to be on the best team in the NBA. I don't want to hear that he's insecure with his role...he's acting like a little girl about it. I know he's confused...but geez Malik just got traded and he's sitting there saying he doesn't know what his situation is here...

How can he miss it? He took Rose's spot last season, he took it this season, he pretty much made Malik tradeable...I mean Pop is sitting there saying in this article that part of the reason he traded Malik was to end the confusion between them....

Pop chose Horry. So why can't Horry just say he's comfortable with his spot? At least to the media. Maybe I am misjuding it...but he needs to STFU about his minutes for a while, after Malik got traded.

The Robert Horry I always thought I knew and respected was a guy who cared only about winning and not his role, who actually preferred coming off the bench to starting......and who kept his mouth shut until after he hit game winning shots.

I just thought Horry was harder than he sounds in that article.

The Horry that hit all those clutch shots was harder than he sounds in that article.

slayermin
03-03-2005, 05:50 AM
I don't get his comments. Pop was resting him because he has an injury and he's 35 years old.

With Malik gone, he's going to get plenty of time. I'm with you whottt, he needs to stfu and play.

BronxCowboy
03-03-2005, 07:52 AM
After Pop's comments, anybody still doubt that the trade hurt team chemistry? Anybody?

xcoriate
03-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Of course it hurt chemistry i think everyone agrees on that, its too what extent that makes it important.

IMO the trade was justified we save $$$ (yes I know it doesnt improve cap situation, but I think it might make a diff to Peter Holt and his willingness to use the MLE) we get rid of a player, who whilst a great locker room presence, spent more time in a "doghouse" than on a court.

We now have a player that Pop is willing to play and IMO that far outweights the MINOR chemistry issues. Minor in that the team is proffesional enough to adjust moce on and hopefully bring us a championship this year.

missmyzte
03-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Of course he rolled his eyes, it was a stupid question. It was someone trying to create drama where there was none and he responded as such. He's not whining and he's fine with whatever minutes he gets, he was beat up and hurting and needed some rest because the 20-30 minutes a night he was getting in January was ridiculous.

All I read from the article is that Robert is taking a greater personal responsibility to fill the void left by Malik, not whining that he wants more minutes.

BronxCowboy
03-03-2005, 09:22 AM
^^^^
I agree with Misti. Horry's comments didn't sound like whining at all to me.

Jimcs50
03-03-2005, 09:30 AM
ditto

Mr. Body
03-03-2005, 09:37 AM
ditto me too. don't blow it up out of context.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I think you guys let Monroe's words influence your interpretation of Horry's fairly typical nonanswers to a reporter trying to work an angle.
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said the team probably won't fill the opening on its 15-man roster any time soon, if at all.Then I expect a signing by week's end.

Spurs Biggest Fan
03-03-2005, 01:55 PM
I thought at least Horry was a team player and would roll with whatever time Pop gave him. I didn't know he's turned into a lil' biznitch.

Then again, it's been a while since someone did a story about him.

He was asked if he was "comfortable" in the rotation... not if he wanted more minutes.

I didn't take it as "bitching" -- he just says he starting to feel "comfortable" again.

Where does it say anyting about minutes?

I still think he's a team player. But then again -- that's just me.

bigzak25
03-03-2005, 02:08 PM
i'm sure he rolled his eyes with a smile on his face, why so sensitive?

i have no luv for horry, but he's all we got on the low post hustle side and he's definitely gonna need to get some solid minutes in the playoffs for us to succeed...anyway, i thought he was injured (slightly) and getting rest...i recall mentioning that horry couldn't be happy with a DNP but was told he was hurt....

johnny00
03-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Robert Horry needs to wake up, his best days are way behind him. With the exception of a game here and there he is liability on defense, getting outhustled and outmuscled. His perimeter shooting stroke (a Horry staple) is starting to resemble that of a rusty door hinge.

bigzak25
03-03-2005, 02:20 PM
well, he took the most advantage of his bench minutes last night of anybody...

16 min
2-2 3pt
5-6 ft
2 boards, 1 ast, 1 to, 13pts....

Spurminator
03-03-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm really not seeing much cause for concern either. It sounds like he's hungry, but not necessarily disgruntled... I mean, if this is what passes for turmoil in the Spurs locker room, then that just (again) goes to show how cohesive this franchise is.

S4Spur21
03-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Just wait till playoff time, where he'll knock down the shot that kills..

timvp
03-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Just wait till playoff time, where he'll knock down the shot that kills.

Welcome to three years ago.

T Park
03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Yup, cause you believe EVERYTHING you read in the newspaper.

lol.

Pop, Nazr, now Horry.

Boy it sucks being a 44-13 team best in the league, best in the west.

God the pain.

bigbendbruisebrother
03-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Dude, grow some gray matter. He's rolling his eyes because its not like he felt like he was competing with Rose for minutes. He thought the question was stupid. Horry has played his minutes. He doesn't give a crap how many he gets, he just wants to impact the game. He's a total team guy, or he wouldn't be here this year.

The problem with some of you chat dweebs is that you don't know how to interpret a sentence with out emoticons doing your thinking for you. Read a book once in a while.

He just needs to STFU not roll his eyes back in his head, and say he's happy with his minutes, his role and happy to be on the best team in the NBA. I don't want to hear that he's insecure with his role...he's acting like a little girl about it. I know he's confused...but geez Malik just got traded and he's sitting there saying he doesn't know what his situation is here...

How can he miss it? He took Rose's spot last season, he took it this season, he pretty much made Malik tradeable...I mean Pop is sitting there saying in this article that part of the reason he traded Malik was to end the confusion between them....

Pop chose Horry. So why can't Horry just say he's comfortable with his spot? At least to the media. Maybe I am misjuding it...but he needs to STFU about his minutes for a while, after Malik got traded.

The Robert Horry I always thought I knew and respected was a guy who cared only about winning and not his role, who actually preferred coming off the bench to starting......and who kept his mouth shut until after he hit game winning shots.

I just thought Horry was harder than he sounds in that article.

The Horry that hit all those clutch shots was harder than he sounds in that article.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 05:45 PM
He's rolling his eyes because its not like he felt like he was competing with Rose for minutes. He thought the question was stupid.

Your conclusion of why he rolled is eyes when you weren't there is as funny as others blowing up in this thread. You couldn't possibly know what he meant without being in the conversation.

Kori Ellis
03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
He's rolling his eyes because its not like he felt like he was competing with Rose for minutes.

Of course he knew he was competing with Rose for minutes. This should tell you that he was ...

According to Popovich, Rose's departure ought to ease whatever anxiety Horry had about the bench role he had shared with Rose.

"I think so," Popovich said, "because at that position he and Malik really didn't know who was going to play each night. Depending on how the game went, one would get a great deal more of minutes. The other might not get any at all. Hopefully he can stay healthy and benefit from that."

Either way I don't think this article is that big of deal, but you are way out of line calling people out for interpreting it.

T Park
03-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I dont see how anyone can interpret hes being a baby, or whining, or whatever.

caŽlo
03-03-2005, 07:11 PM
he had that chance last year... didnt knock down any..

as it turns out.. we got knocked out :P

caŽlo
03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Just wait till playoff time, where he'll knock down the shot that kills.

he had that chance last year... didnt knock down any..

as it turns out.. we got knocked out :P