PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's trade assets (Tiago Splitter)

MoSpur
01-30-2009, 01:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=TradeAssets-090130

ASSET No. 8: Rights to overseas players
OWNERS: Orlando (Fran Vazquez), Oklahoma City (Serge Ibaka), Denver (Axel Hervelle), San Antonio (Tiago Splitter)

Vazquez (at right) has a contract (with a $7 million buyout clause) with FC Barcelona that expires after the current season, and the 11th pick of the 2005 draft has said he'd like to come to the NBA. The Thunder are constantly being asked if they'd be open to trading the rights to the athletic Ibaka, currently playing for Ricoh Manresa of the Spanish League, as is the case with the Nuggets and Hervelle, who plays for Real Madrid.

Splitter's rights are less valuable, because many in the NBA feel he'll never leave Europe, given that he would have to sign what amounts to a four-year deal starting at $940,000, the maximum he could earn under the rookie wage scale as the 28th pick of the 2007 draft. And that would be a pay cut.

ORION
01-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I can post him up

dougp
01-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Something needs to change with the Euroleague stuff - it's getting rather ridiculous. If Tiago does decide to stay in Europe, I hope he gets traded to the crappiest team (probably somewhere in Greece) and rides the pine.

I. Hustle
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah that is bullshit. They shouldn't enter the draft and waste our time if they are just going to stay over there. FUK KBP

DUNCANownsKOBE2
01-30-2009, 01:43 PM
the crappiest team (probably somewhere in Greece) .

KBP might get angry.

Bruno
01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Overseas players who NBA rights are owned by Spurs have little value. Splitter will maybe never come. Gist and Javtokas are quite good but nothing special. Sanikidze and Karaulov quite suck.

IMO, Spurs' best assets for the trade deadline are :

- Spurs' 2011 first round pick : That's the earliest first round pick that Spurs can trade but this pick can have some value. Another team can think that Spurs will be quite bad in 2010-2011 with an aging Duncan and Ginobili (if he re-sign an extension). Trading this pick (with some minimal protection) won't really hurt Spurs because a player drafted in 2011 won't help the team in the Duncan era.

- Warriors 2009 second round pick : Right now, this pick is 36th and should stay in that area in Warriors don't make a run. The 2009 draft is said to be weak so it won't help its value.

- Cash : With the economic crisis, some team will welcome $3M in cash. The problem is that Spurs are maybe not ready to give up money in this difficult times.

- George Hill : He is Spurs' tradeable assets with, by far, the biggest trade value on the market. If another team is ready to give up a lot for him, Spurs had to consider the possibility to trade him.

- Vaughn+Udoka+Oberto : With these 3 players, Spurs can get someone with a $7.5M salary. These 3 players combined are quite like a big expiring contract given that Vaughn and Udoka are expiring and Oberto has only $1.9M guaranteed for 2009-2010.

ss1986v2
01-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah that is bullshit. They shouldn't enter the draft and waste our time if they are just going to stay over there. FUK KBP

sigh...

he didnt enter the draft. he was automatically eligible.

Bruno
01-30-2009, 02:09 PM
BTW, Splitter is currently injured and is out for 3 weeks. One of his drawback is that he has often little injuries.

EricB
01-30-2009, 02:11 PM
sigh...

Yet he still told and promised the Spurs that he was coming over....

ss1986v2
01-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Yet he still told and promised the Spurs that he was coming over....

and then got offered 8 times what we can offer. id have kicked us to the side too. anyone that follows the draft will know that tiago had been pulling his name out for the last several years because he couldnt get a high lotto commitment from a team (ie, big paycheck).

EricB
01-30-2009, 02:19 PM
and then got offered 8 times what we can offer. id have kicked us to the side too. anyone that follows the draft will know that tiago had been pulling his name out for the last several years because he couldnt get a high lotto commitment from a team (ie, big paycheck).

Then you too would be known as a lying trashbag like he is.

You don't give your word, then back out of it. You deal with your decisions.

JPB
01-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Something needs to change with the Euroleague stuff - it's getting rather ridiculous. If Tiago does decide to stay in Europe, I hope he gets traded to the crappiest team (probably somewhere in Greece) and rides the pine.

There's no players trade in Europe.

Shastafarian
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM

I don't remember him giving his word. Link?

ss1986v2
01-30-2009, 02:25 PM

oh, yes. because the nba is all about honor and righteous acts. here i thought it was a business...

SenorSpur
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM

:lol

That's all well and good in an ideal world. But we all know that business has nothing at all to do with an ideal world. The majority of people would've done the same thing.

Whisky Dog
01-30-2009, 02:48 PM
I got two things in this world, Chico, my word and my balls. And I don't break 'em for nobody.

Ditty
01-30-2009, 03:10 PM
trade splitter ive been saying that since day 1

NFGIII
01-30-2009, 03:12 PM

^

sigh...

Maybe the NBA needs to get some type of waiver - in or out - from potential draftees prior to entering their name into the pool. If said player enters the draft and then backs out penalties would go into effect. What they could be are open to discussion but if the money - as in Tiago's situation - is great enough why would that Euro player care what the NBA was going to do to him?

IIRC Taigo stated that he was looking forward to playing in the NBA prior to Tau dropping that huge offer on him just before the deadline. When you look at the numbers it's a no brainer on Tiago's part. Though I didn't llike what happened I can't blame the guy for taking the money. Pro athletes don't have long careers and getting what you can is part of the business. If anything most of the blame, if you can call it that, resides with the NBA's CBA and how much 1st round picks can make as well as the economic conditions present at the time. The Euro teams can just kick back and wait to see what the NBA teams offer their respective players and up the ante so as to lock the player up - see Tiago.

If anything this is a business and people should never forget that. Most of the time it boils down to "Show me the money!".

my2sons
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM

really, i thought it mattered only when you sign on the dotted line. Plus how do we know he gave his word, oh right somebody posted here on spurstalk.

SenorSpur
01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Add Splitter's name to a growing list of Euro players the Spurs drafted, who will never see the inside of an NBA arena.

MoSpur
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I would have loved to have seen what Tiago what have done on our team this season. Oh well.

NFGIII
01-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Add Splitter's name to a growing list of Euro players the Spurs drafted, who will never see the inside of an NBA arena.

And if that list continues to grow? That is the reason that I suggested some type of waiver/form being signed indicating whether or not the player wanted to be drafted. It is unfair to NBA teams to draft players only to see them not come. This effectively makes the pick a wasted one in the short term. And most teams' focus is the short term. That's just the nature of the beast. In the Spurs case if Tiago were to ever come over - say 2012 - then most likely TD's playing ability at that time would be far less than now. The Spurs would have been better off drafting someone that could contribute immediately or within a year or two. If he comes over sooner - say 2010 - then maybe the pick turns out to be a good one.

When it comes to Euro players it seems like a crapshoot to me. But I frankly doubt if any waiver/form would be put into effect by the NBA. That might create some hostility between the NBA and potential Euro players.

urunobili
01-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I would have loved to have seen what Tiago what have done on our team this season. Oh well.

940 a year won;t EVER get it done... unless the CBA changes the rookie scales dramatically he may never play for ANY team at least until he is close to 30 and made enough and wants some glory...
I bet the relationship with the Spurs will be completely lost by then... plus he saw the situation of best friend Scola... he may just follow that example...

EricB
01-30-2009, 04:11 PM
really, i thought it mattered only when you sign on the dotted line. Plus how do we know he gave his word, oh right somebody posted here on spurstalk.

I don't remember RC Buford posting here...

EricB
01-30-2009, 04:12 PM
oh, yes. because the nba is all about honor and righteous acts. here i thought it was a business...

When you draft someone and they tell you after meeting with you in person that you will come over the very next year, and give a commitment, then yes honor comes into it.

EricB
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
:lol

That's all well and good in an ideal world. But we all know that business has nothing at all to do with an ideal world. The majority of people would've done the same thing.

Because the majority is always right.

SenorSpur
01-30-2009, 04:22 PM
And if that list continues to grow? That is the reason that I suggested some type of waiver/form being signed indicating whether or not the player wanted to be drafted. It is unfair to NBA teams to draft players only to see them not come. This effectively makes the pick a wasted one in the short term. And most teams' focus is the short term. That's just the nature of the beast. In the Spurs case if Tiago were to ever come over - say 2012 - then most likely TD's playing ability at that time would be far less than now. The Spurs would have been better off drafting someone that could contribute immediately or within a year or two. If he comes over sooner - say 2010 - then maybe the pick turns out to be a good one.

When it comes to Euro players it seems like a crapshoot to me. But I frankly doubt if any waiver/form would be put into effect by the NBA. That might create some hostility between the NBA and potential Euro players.

I understand there was no way the Spurs could've predicted this outcome with Spilitter. Yet this is still a costly blow for a team that already sports "the oldest roster in the league". Essentially, the Spurs will have blown #1 picks in 2 out the last 3 drafts ('07 & '09).

This is not to say that the Spurs strategy of exploring and mining the Euro leagues for talent was a bad idea. On the contrary. The problem is they became TOO dependent on that market as a singular source for player drafts. Often times, at the expense of domestic talent that could have suited a need.

To that end, I'm pleased the Spurs finally got back into the practice of drafting and developing domestic talent. I hope this trend continues.

SenorSpur
01-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Because the majority is always right.

No, because people look out for themselves and their situations first. That's not to say it right. That's just the way it is.

EricB
01-30-2009, 04:24 PM
No, because people look out for themselves and their situations first. That's not to say it right. That's just the way it is.

Like I said, I'm well within my rights to call such people douchebags, for going against their word in business dealings such as that.

SenorSpur
01-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Like I said, I'm well within my rights to call such people douchebags, for going against their word in business dealings such as that.

Yes you are. However, since none of know exactly what was said or what was agreed to by either side - might want to tap the brakes, a bit.

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2009, 05:00 PM
i would not trade spiltter any time now till the what is going to be introduced in the new bargaining agreement coming up soon.....maybe they might restructure a few things like rookie salary for players who play in europe and declare for the draft but still under contract with current employer......

NFGIII
01-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I understand there was no way the Spurs could've predicted this outcome with Spilitter. Yet this is still a costly blow for a team that already sports "the oldest roster in the league". Essentially, the Spurs will have blown #1 picks in 2 out the last 3 drafts ('07 & '09).

This is not to say that the Spurs strategy of exploring and mining the Euro leagues for talent was a bad idea. On the contrary. The problem is they became TOO dependent on that market as a singular source for player drafts. Often times, at the expense of domestic talent that could have suited a need.

To that end, I'm pleased the Spurs finally got back into the practice of drafting and developing domestic talent. I hope this trend continues.

Agreed.

I think that since the Spurs came up with TP and Manu maybe they felt it was more in their interset to concentrate on the Euro players and not enough on domestic ones. After finding two players of that caliber it wouldn't be hard to understand why they felt that way. But this has turned into a gamble lately and we need to turn our attentions towards the domestic market now.

Wasting draft picks on players who are either unable, be it contractually as it was with Scola for many years, or unwilling, as with Splitter's hefty contract, isn't a smart way to fully ultilize the remaining portion of TD's career.