PDA

View Full Version : Cool Apps For Iphone?

Heath Ledger
01-30-2009, 10:13 PM
So i just won $700 this morning and went out and bought a new iphone. What are some cool apps from the app store?

PM5K
01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
You won 700, gambling?

There are a ton of cool aps, I wouldn't even know where to start, but we all have a different definition of cool.

You want free, paid or both?

iMob used to be good but they made some changes that ruined it, hopefully they'll fix it, in the mean time Mafia Live is supposed to be good and it's on sale for 2.99

Some others I like are:

Labyrinth, there is a free version and it's a good way to show off the iPhone's accelerometer.

Ocarina is also cool, it's the instrument from Zelda, you play it by blowing into the mic on the iPhone and pushing buttons on the screen, last time I checked it was .99

I also have Tanzen which is a puzzle game which also has a free trial.

Drinks Free is a cool program that has mixed drink recipes.

Koi Pond is also kind of cool, it's a pond with fishes, you can touch the water and it reacts, that one is .99 last I checked.

I also have a To Do program, a GPS program, and Sportacular for checking sports scores. You might also want a third party weather program, they tend to have more features than the standard one. I also have Speedtest to check my 3G speeds.

TapDefense is supposed to be good but I haven't played it.

There are basically a ton of programs, but I usually won't pay more than .99 for one.

I'd also jailbreak it as well.

Heath Ledger
01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
yessir,

im done working poker is such easy money. ive now walked away up in 13 of the last 15 sessions.

Im going to be playing full time for now on. Im convinced that I'm a poker stud. Not just running good, its about making mostly good decisions, yes i run into bad beats and suckouts just about every day but when you log the hours i do you will have plenty of opportunities to stack the donkeys. They call all ins so light, top pair top kicker ???????

I was just playing with the light saber app and the fart machine thing, it will come in handy at the poker room. (fart)

PM5K
01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
That's what I meant when I said we all have a different definition, I deleted both apps within a few minutes of installing them, although the Light Saber wasn't bad, the fart one was stupid, I liked the stun gun one better...

iBeer is ok, but I wouldn't pay for it...

Heath Ledger
01-30-2009, 10:57 PM
im not opposed to paid apps if they are cool i need a voice recorder, is tom tom gps out yet?

PM5K
01-30-2009, 11:31 PM
im not opposed to paid apps if they are cool i need a voice recorder, is tom tom gps out yet?

I don't think so.

leemajors
01-31-2009, 12:13 AM
vlc remote rules, works over wifi. iShoot is fun, Joost is sweet. i don't have a lot of paid ones. sportacular is the best i have seen/used for scores/stats. bloom is still awesome too, and shazam can be fun to play with.

PM5K
01-31-2009, 02:51 AM
Yeah there are some apps that are just cool to have as demos of the type of technology that exists.

Shazam is one, another is the one that looks up prices by bar code. I also use an app called ORB that lets me stream music from my PC to my iPhone via 3G.

I recently saw a couple of apps I wanted to get, one was a Duck Hunt clone and I can't recall the other.

Cry Havoc
01-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Are you going to jailbreak your iPhone? I highly recommend it.

Here are a list of my commonly used apps for a non-jailbroken iPhone:

Beejive IM - as good as it gets for mobile IMing. If you do this a lot it's worth the price.
iShoot Lite - Very fun, considering upgrading to the full version.
Ocarina - So. Cool.
Fieldrunners - Was fun for quite some time, but limited in depth.
Pandora - One of my favorite apps. Streaming music to your iPhone. Sweet.
Sportstap - Not as good as Sportacular, but the latter won't run after jailbreak (v 2.1)
Remote - Lots of fun, and actually handy if you have a PC set up in your house with good speakers.
Shazam - Awesome app. Just awesome.
Backgrounds - Sweet BGs for the iPhone.
Easy Relax - A VERY cool relaxation program that's quite customizable. Want a fireplace with a flute? Easy. Want a rainstorm with drums? That's possible, too. I always use this if I'm not in my own bed, as it's soothing to listen to when you're in an unfamiliar place.

PixelPusher
01-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Cry Havoc mentioned a lot of the ones I'd recommend, a few more to add:

Myspace
Facebook
Google (it's a separate app from Google they just released, you search by speaking into the mic)
vlingo (like the Google voice search app, but also lets you do voice activated dialing, Facebook updates, etc.)
Sol Free (Solitare, still one the best time wasters ever)
Sudoku
SnapTell (take a pic of a book/cd/whatever and it analyzes it and tells you where you can order it online)
AppVee (reviews iPhone Apps, text and video)

Those are all free, the one paid for app I can recommend is SimCity ($9.99) which is basically SimCity 3000 formatted for an iPhone screen.

Purple & Gold
02-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I got a ton of them. The apps is what makes the iphone.

Chess with friends: is great if you like chess. It's like emailing a chess game back and forth.
ArtPuzzle: is very cool great works of art that you can put together. The hardest level is challenging and gives you a better appreciation for the art.
FStream: lets you play radio stations over the iphone but needs a wifi connection.
Stitcher: is good if you like talk radio.
AppSniper: is great tells you whats on sale and what apps are new.
Blackbeard: a real fun 3 in a row type game.
RealSoccer09: By far the best sports game for a phone.
Fastlane: a cool racing game.
RjDj Album: very trippy proceed with caution
Stanza: has tons of books for free. A must have if you don't have a problem reading books over your phone.
SimCity: top notch game
Monopoly: very well done. They did a nice job with this one.
iPlant: if you love to cook or drink herbal teas, get it. So much info on different plants.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
got a couple of cool games last night.

geodefense swarm
enigmo 2

oh, and geodefense is good as well. geodefense swarm just came out. they both have Geometry Wars type graphics. i wish that game was an app. i don't know if it's more fun or visually appealing.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
oh and madden 10 is pretty good.
i got Pandorum and i'm still undecided on that one. controls are kinda clunky

hater
09-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Are you going to jailbreak your iPhone? I highly recommend it.

Here are a list of my commonly used apps for a non-jailbroken iPhone:

Beejive IM - as good as it gets for mobile IMing. If you do this a lot it's worth the price.
iShoot Lite - Very fun, considering upgrading to the full version.
Ocarina - So. Cool.
Fieldrunners - Was fun for quite some time, but limited in depth.
Pandora - One of my favorite apps. Streaming music to your iPhone. Sweet.
Sportstap - Not as good as Sportacular, but the latter won't run after jailbreak (v 2.1)
Remote - Lots of fun, and actually handy if you have a PC set up in your house with good speakers.
Shazam - Awesome app. Just awesome.
Backgrounds - Sweet BGs for the iPhone.
Easy Relax - A VERY cool relaxation program that's quite customizable. Want a fireplace with a flute? Easy. Want a rainstorm with drums? That's possible, too. I always use this if I'm not in my own bed, as it's soothing to listen to when you're in an unfamiliar place.

dude i got all those apps u mention except the 1st 2.

my favs also include:
Urbanspoon
italk - record ppls conversations without them knowing :)
taxi - calls nearest taxi when you're too drunk
checkplease - calculates tips
weatherbug - best weather app
papertoss - fucking addictive
trapster - find speed traps
bathroombreak - tells you when is good time to go piss during a movie so you don't miss anything.

mrsmaalox
09-15-2009, 11:35 AM
The ones I use the most are NPR Addict, and Jaman has good, free short films. Howcast is fun and I have found AroundMe to be pretty helpful. I only do free apps.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-15-2009, 11:40 AM
The ones I use the most are NPR Addict, and Jaman has good, free short films. Howcast is fun and I have found AroundMe to be pretty helpful. I only do free apps. jailbreak your phone and get installous.

Cry Havoc
09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Great games that are worth the $$$:

Galcon
Firemint Real Racing (if you are going to be gaming a lot on your phone, it's worth it)
Flight Control
Minigore or Dracula
Baseball Superstars 09
Simcity or Civilization are both pretty solid as well.

Other apps:

Sportacular - Simply the best sports app
Accuweather - By far my favorite weather app
Yelp - Much like urbanspoon
Bump
The new Beejive is pretty awesome, although expensive, only recommended if you're an AIM/MSN addict.

leemajors
09-15-2009, 02:16 PM
army of darkness soundboard rules.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
army of darkness soundboard rules.
most of those soundboards are pretty disappointing.

lefty
09-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Has anyone tried Categories ?
(it's part of Cydia)

Viva Las Espuelas
09-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Has anyone tried Categories ?
(it's part of Cydia)
yes

lefty
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
yes

And?
Any good?
Does it cause the iPhone to slow down or crash?

Udokafan05
09-26-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm getting a iphone on monday. I've been looking at the apps on itunes, and was wondering if its a one time pay only thing?

Viva Las Espuelas
09-26-2009, 11:28 PM
And?
Any good?
Does it cause the iPhone to slow down or crash?
It's ok. It does cut down on pages and pages of apps. I have 122 apps all on 5 pages with 5 apps being on the last page. It's not entirely buggy. Sometimes apps are "doubled". Sometimes apps appear in and out of the folder at the same time. You have to delete from the folder then add it again. That usually fixes that problem. Oh, and don't put a "&" in the title of your folder. It'll make your folder invisible. I found that out on accident.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-26-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm getting a iphone on monday. I've been looking at the apps on itunes, and was wondering if its a one time pay only thing?

Uh, yeah. You pay only one time every time you buy an app.

Udokafan05
09-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Has anyone tried ESPN Radio app?

lefty
09-28-2009, 08:07 AM
WorldWeather is badass for a weather app :tu

ManuTP9
09-28-2009, 02:09 PM
i played that T-pain app on my cousins iphone its pretty cool and funny.

Heath Ledger
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I have autotune on my mac its pretty much badass.

anjlbitz
09-28-2009, 04:06 PM
I got a jailbroken iphone for my bday (I'm currently with T-Mobile) so I'm unable to update it to 3.0. Is there a way I can update it? Or am i pretty much stuck with this 2.something version?

Dex
09-28-2009, 06:26 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/omgscottlikewoah/Screenshot2009-09-28at62201PM.png

These are my favorites. Most are freebies.

leemajors
09-29-2009, 09:10 AM
net news wire is also incredible. a google reader feed application.

lefty
09-29-2009, 05:38 PM
The new CNN app is impressive; I hate them, but very nice app

The Starbucks app is nice too

EricB
09-29-2009, 08:23 PM
The new ESPN Radio app is VERY VERY nice.

lefty
09-29-2009, 09:59 PM
The CNN app was released yesterday or today and it's already on Installous
:tu

Viva Las Espuelas
10-01-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm diggin' Cartoon Wars right now.

cool cat
10-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I will 2nd Sportacular, its a great sport app.
Ocarina is cool, it's a great way to show off your Iphone with somthing no other phone can do. At least I dont' know any other that does it.
Light, it's just a simple white screen but it actully works for a flashlight.
Road Trip LE. I use it to keep count of my MPG, the free version only lets you do one car.
Great Books. 200 books for $2 is a great deal.
TomTom App. It works great, i have not tried any of the other GPS nav apps so I can't compare. But I think it's awesome.

Games
Stardefense really good castle defend game.
Hero of Sparta it runs 10 times better on the 3gs then my old 2g.
Resident Evil degeneration & 4 I buy pretty much every Resident evil game. They are fun to play.
Face Fighter the funniest game to play and show people.
Texas Hold'em the first game app I bought and it still holds up very well.
Peg Jump so I don't have to be at cracker barrel to play it.:p:
Mafia Live, Undead Live and Engines of war addicting iphone style MMO's.

lefty
10-03-2009, 01:17 PM
The new ESPN Radio app is VERY VERY nice.

+1

Quickoffice is great too

lefty
10-08-2009, 12:14 PM
It's ok. It does cut down on pages and pages of apps. I have 122 apps all on 5 pages with 5 apps being on the last page. It's not entirely buggy. Sometimes apps are "doubled". Sometimes apps appear in and out of the folder at the same time. You have to delete from the folder then add it again. That usually fixes that problem. Oh, and don't put a "&" in the title of your folder. It'll make your folder invisible. I found that out on accident.

Thanks, VLE :tu

leemajors
02-17-2010, 09:21 AM
My new favorite App:

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

Converts them on the fly, and I am watching Ong Bak 2 720P mkv converted on the fly over 3g

Whisky Dog
02-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Pocket God, Trapster, Knocking Vid, zombieville, paper toss, and Slacker Radio. Love Slacker.

ynh
02-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Wolfenstien 3D+ is great. It's cheap as hell and comes with Spear of Destiny... I dont have an Iphone though.. just got an Itouch and got it for that. I roll with a Palm Pre.. less apps but far less headaches.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-28-2010, 01:57 AM
I roll with a Palm Pre.. less apps but far less headaches.
hmmm. continue :wakeup

ynh
02-28-2010, 02:39 AM
Has more to do with phone service issues. I'm not sure if it is a majority but the people that I do know that have an Iphone constantly complain of having issues with dropped and missed calls. I'm not sure if the Iphone can do it yet but I do enjoy being able to have more then one app up at a time.

Honestly the biggest factor for me picking the Pre over the Iphone was that I like Sprint's service over AT&T. Most of the Iphone apps are being transferred over to the Pre anyways... though they are slowly coming in.

I will say I am on my third Pre though so it's not like I haven't had issues.. I had one issue with an update that froze my phone.. the other time I had to get another phone was because I knocked over a glass of something on the phone and fried out the volume control.

The Iphone is definitly has much more support and apps.. but as I said I can't complain about the service of Sprint.. Oh and there are little things that I noticed this past week while I was messing around with my cousin's Iphone such as the fact that web pages load much much faster on the Pre.

It is also nice that the Pre automatically sincs with all my emails and facebook.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
02-28-2010, 01:46 PM
canabalt

the most addicting game

TinTin
02-28-2010, 03:17 PM
Word Warp. It is a very addicting word game

Cant_Be_Faded
02-28-2010, 05:56 PM
is there an app that can jack you off?

ynh
02-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Yea it's called the web browser

mookie2001
03-01-2010, 12:14 AM
I would scoff too cbf but apps are badd news

If you had some you would be using that stuff lno

Finger physics is awesome and hard as shit, free version and im not anywhere near halfway done, and they add new free levels as an update. It's versatile too, more than just a Tetris or astroids

more than app, less than god

alpine crawler is the shit too for free, it looks 8 bit or a Elijah wood babys game, but it's fun and takes strategy, keeps you playing, haven't beat it yet

imobsters is tight too you can rise up quick and there's like 100 angles to play it from, it's almost text based, points, bank, clock game so you can just do a minute a day and sit back and bank. Free too

leemajors
03-01-2010, 03:39 AM
palm is pterry much dead in the water at this point. they sold nothing

ynh
03-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Hmmm.. no shit.. I didn't realize the sales numbers were so bad on it. Too bad.. really is a very nice phone

Viva Las Espuelas
03-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Word Warp. It is a very addicting word game
indeed. i wish you could get rid of ads.