PDA

View Full Version : Malik Hairston DNP tonight....

benefactor
01-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Joining the Spurs on Saturday?

timvp
01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Makes sense. I think Bruno mentioned this as a strong possibility. The Spurs like all their players to go through the Rodeo Road Trip experience. Even if Hairston doesn't play, it's a good time to start feeling like part of the team.

The Warriors game stands out to me as a good game to let Hairston play ~15 minutes to get his feet wet.

ace3g
01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I saw that to, not sure what it means, but Pops had a great first game with the Toros, hopefully he can continue that play during the road trip

it was ironic but after the NBDL webcast loaded the first play I saw was Pops catching a ball under the basket surrounded by 2 to 3 guys and he just went straight up and dunked it!!! That is something the Spurs haven't had in a long time a player that can dunk from a flat footed position within close proximity of the basket

tomtom
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
sweet hope we can see him in action

Bruno
01-31-2009, 09:48 AM
If Spurs wanted to have Hairston with them, they would have called him up just after his last game and Hairston would have joined the team in LA or Utah.

It looks more than either Hairston wasn't able to play this game (injury, illness, family trouble...) or Spurs needed him quickly for various reasons (player(s) out, trade). Given that we have heard nothing about an injury/trade and that Hairston hasn't been officially called up for the moment, I guess that Hairston wasn't just able to play this game.

benefactor
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I would have been a pretty quick turnaround for him to join the team in LA. The Toros played the night of the 24th in Albuquerque and the LA game was the next afternoon. They could have flown him over to join the team in Utah, but at the same time they could have just let him sit tight until they got back since they probably weren't going to use him on that road trip anyway because of the caliber of the opponents. I guess we will see tonight.

I hope he will join us for the RRT. As timvp said, it will be a good opportunity to feel like a part of the team and with GS being such a weak defensive team it would be a good opportunity for him to play. There are also several other games with weak opponents that he could see some garbage time in.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2009, 12:48 PM
If Spurs wanted to have Hairston with them, they would have called him up just after his last game and Hairston would have joined the team in LA or Utah.

It looks more than either Hairston wasn't able to play this game (injury, illness, family trouble...) or Spurs needed him quickly for various reasons (player(s) out, trade). Given that we have heard nothing about an injury/trade and that Hairston hasn't been officially called up for the moment, I guess that Hairston wasn't just able to play this game.

Well next year when he does the same thing, at least you won't be surprised.

Bruno
01-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Well next year when he does the same thing, at least you won't be surprised.

:rolleyes
I've said weeks ago that Hairston could be called back for the rodeo road trip.

I just find the timing quite strange and I wonder if there isn't more behind it.

benefactor
01-31-2009, 01:34 PM

I just find the timing quite strange and I wonder if there isn't more behind it.
Well if there is then so be it. He is a nice prospect but if the FO has to include him in a trade to upgrade our front line its not gonna break my heart. Getting help in the middle is much more of a priority and Hairston looks as if he will probably be more of a depth player at most in the long run.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2009, 09:32 PM

Yeah, keeping him out right before the road trip...what's with that? That timing is impossible to explain.