ducks
03-03-2005, 09:11 AM
Cheeks emotionally says goodbye, Pritchard to take over
By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer
March 3, 2005

Photo
AP - Mar 2, 6:22 pm EST
More Photos
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Coach Maurice Cheeks had to pull over as he drove home from the Portland Trail Blazers' practice facility. He had just been fired and needed some time to think.

``Throughout my years of playing and as a coach, I haven't had a lot of heartbreak,'' he said.

Sitting alone in a quiet car parked on a side street, his radio and phone turned off, Cheeks reflected on nearly four seasons with the Blazers, who let the popular coach go Wednesday after compiling a 22-33 record this season.

``We didn't win games, that's the bottom line,'' he lamented.

The Blazers appointed Kevin Pritchard, the team's director of player personnel, as interim coach -- a sign that the team's focus will shift from making the playoffs to evaluating younger talent like draft picks Sebastian Telfair and Ha Seung Jin.

``I'm not going to mislead anybody. It's a long uphill battle to get to the playoffs from where we're at -- 11 games under .500,'' Blazers president Steve Patterson said.

The Blazers had lost seven of their last nine games and were in 12th place in the Western Conference, 5 1/2 games behind the Los Angeles Lakers for the final playoff spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
Portland's latest defeat came Tuesday night, 103-93 to the defending champion Detroit Pistons. That left Cheeks with a 162-139 record as Blazers coach.

Portland went 41-41 last season and missed the playoffs for the first time in 22 years.

Cheeks was in the final year of a four-year contract worth an estimated $12 million. The fact that the Blazers hadn't pursued an option year was an indication that Cheeks was likely not staying in the job, but there was speculation that since he was not fired by the All-Star break he would serve out the rest of the season.

Cheeks, who played in the NBA for 15 seasons, was hired by Portland in 2001 to replace Mike Dunleavy. Cheeks guided the team to the playoffs his first two seasons, but the players hardly made Cheeks' tenure easy -- on or off the court.

The team was nicknamed the ``Jail Blazers'' after several brushes with the law, many of them involving marijuana possession.

Former Blazers forward Rasheed Wallace drew unwanted attention to the team two seasons ago when he threatened a game official on the loading dock of the Rose Garden. Wallace, later traded, was suspended seven games by the NBA.

Although he was generally popular among his players, Cheeks did have a couple of high-profile verbal run-ins with former guard Bonzi Wells and current forward Darius Miles.

Then this season, forward Qyntel Woods faced allegations of dog fighting. He was later released.

Photo
AP - Mar 2, 6:13 pm EST
More Photos
Cheeks never shied away from questions about his team's misbehavior, bringing him the respect of fans and reporters who covered the Blazers.

Protective of his players to a fault, Cheeks was criticized at times for being too soft on his players. On Wednesday, he was unapologetic.

``I am who I am,'' he said at an emotional news conference at the Rose Garden during which he had to stop four times to gather his composure.

Afterward, team employees who had gathered to say goodbye applauded him.

He endeared himself to many in April 2003 when he came to the rescue of a 13-year-old girl, Natalie Gilbert, who forgot the words to the national anthem before a playoff game against the Dallas Mavericks. Cheeks went to her side and helped her with the words.

Both Patterson and Nash said it was with great regret that they broke the news to Cheeks on Wednesday morning at the team's practice facility.

``We were kind of hoping in January and February that we'd gain some momentum -- but that didn't happen,'' Nash said.

Cheeks would not lay blame for his woes on Nash or Patterson, who came to the Blazers after Cheeks had already been in place for two seasons.

The assistants who served under Cheeks will remain with the team. Both Nash and Patterson said the search for a new coach wouldn't start in earnest until the offseason.

Cheeks, 48, said he'll likely take a vacation, and wouldn't mind coaching in some capacity again soon.

``I love the game too much to stay away,'' he said.

Pritchard, hired by the Blazers in August after serving as a scout for the San Antonio Spurs, played at Kansas before spending four years in the NBA.

Pritchard, 37, also served as coach, general manager and director of player personnel for the Kansas City Knights of the American Basketball Association.

Cheeks served as an assistant in Philadelphia under Larry Brown for seven seasons before he was hired by the Blazers. He spent 11 of his 15 seasons playing for the 76ers, and was a member of Philadelphia's 1983 NBA championship team.

He was recently named a finalist for election into the Basketball Hall of Fam

ducks
03-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Pritchard, hired by the Blazers in August after serving as a scout for the San Antonio Spurs, played at Kansas before spending four years in the NBA.

Taco
03-03-2005, 09:13 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11527

Rummpd
03-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Cheeks is a class act, either Mn or Lakers should grab him in a heartbeat.

boutons
03-03-2005, 10:14 AM
"Cheeks is a class act"

As a person, as a player, yes.

But as a coach, I'm not at all sure. I caugh most of his press conference yesterday on NBA TV. A great guy, very honest and guileless, but not very sophisticated or smart. I found much of his blather kind of childish and unprofessional. I think it's weird he spends most the game on the bench with his chin in his hand, like the 12th man.

He had some pretty good horses @POR, but he just wasn't coach enough to get them to play. I think a lot of other coaches could have done better with the same material.

Jimcs50
03-03-2005, 12:00 PM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nba/2003/0428/photo/a_cheeks_tpi.jpg

Here is Cheek's defining moment, and biggest assist of his career. Class act throughout, but this proved it.

ChumpDumper
03-03-2005, 01:04 PM
He had some pretty good horses @POR, but he just wasn't coach enough to get them to play.He had an asswad of injuries and management completely subverted any authority he may have had over his players. That's some shameful bullshit, but we should be prepared for more Buford-to-Portland talk after they finish cleaning house.

ALVAREZ6
03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
This is bullcrap for Mo.

I like Cheeks.

I saw an interview with Allen Iverson here about the firing of Cheeks, and he said he feels sorry for him becuase it is so strange for any human to not like him. He said if you can't get along with Cheeks, then something is wrong with you.