PDA

View Full Version : Best Safety in the last 10 years??

smahmood26
01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Who do you think is the best safety in the NFL over the last 10 years.

Tired to make a poll, but have no clue how to do it. My options would be
A) Ed Reed
B) Troy Polamalu
C) Brian Dawkins
D) John Lynch

My answer would be Ed Reed.

LakerHater
01-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Michael Griffin!

leemajors
01-31-2009, 07:41 PM
darren woodson.

JoeTait75
01-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Should have been Eric Turner.

But it is Edward Reed.

IronMexican
01-31-2009, 08:39 PM
Rod Wood

J.T.
01-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Polamalu shouldn't be on anyone's top 5.

IronMexican
01-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Polamalu > Sanders

dirk4mvp
01-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Polamalu > Sanders

:td

dirk4mvp
Polamalu shouldn't be on anyone's top 5.

He's easily make a top 5 shittiest hair cuts list.

dirk4mvp
Adrian Wilson > Palamalu

smahmood26
01-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Adrian Wilson > Palamalu

Do you actually believe that crap??

IronMexican
01-31-2009, 11:26 PM

They don't. They are Colt fans, and hater of the big SC :hat

smahmood26
01-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Rod Wood

Glad to see 26 get into the Hall. Well deserved

dirk4mvp
02-01-2009, 01:33 AM

I pretty much know. If Young grew some funky ass hair, people might be fooled into thinking he's a good player too. People think Peyton is good not because his hair line is almost parallel with the top of his ears, but because he's good.

dirk4mvp
02-01-2009, 01:34 AM
The only person known for their hair that's not overrated is Afro Samurai.

BlackSwordsMan
02-01-2009, 02:20 AM
afro samurai won't even kill a bear

slayermin
02-01-2009, 04:55 AM
If you watch the game, I don't think you can argue against Ed Reed. Polamalu is a slightly better run stopper but Reed is an overall better player.

50Bestspurever
02-01-2009, 06:06 AM
Fuck the interceptions, darren woodson and steve atwater would take your freaking head off! And thats NFL football.

monosylab1k
02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Darren Woodson was so good he made Roy Freakin Williams look good. If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what does.

If Darren isn't the best in the last 10 years, he's by far the most underrated.

jack sommerset
02-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Sean Taylor. That dude was a badass the short time he played.

LakerHater
02-01-2009, 01:16 PM

http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/41.gif

monosylab1k
02-01-2009, 02:29 PM

He was good but not even close to the best.

stretch
02-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Reed and Dawkins are hands down the two best over the last 10 years.

Polamalu should not be on that list.

monosylab1k
02-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Bernard Pollard made the biggest play of any safety this decade. Nobody's made a play that comes anywhere close to the impact of the play he made. I'd put Pollard at #1 right now.

And he might be turrible now, but Rodney HGH Harrison in his prime is right up there.

ClingingMars
02-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Roy Williams in his prime was damn scary. Not anymore, though. :(

-Mars

peewee's lovechild
02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Ed Reed.

That shouldn't be an argument.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd vote for Woody, but his era hasn't really been in the last ten years. He retired in like 2004. Same with Eric Turner. Shame about him.

stretch
02-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Roy Williams with Darren Woodson cleaning up for him was scary. Without him, he was trash.

-Mars

fixed

stretch
02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
And he might be turrible now, but Rodney HGH Harrison in his prime is right up there.

Yeah, he was better than Polamalu will ever be. Definitely up there.

DDS4
02-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Ronnie Lott.

Warlord23
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Polamalu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dws009
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Ed Reed

Warlord23
02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Troy did it again!!!!!!!!!!!

ClingingMars
02-01-2009, 11:08 PM
fixed

it's important to have a good FS.

samikeyp
02-02-2009, 12:00 AM
IMO, Ed Reed.

LakerHater
02-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Troy did it again!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol

Thunder Dan
02-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Ed Reed

stretch
02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
polamalu sucked ASS last night

FromWayDowntown
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
It's hard to talk just about best "safety," since the options listed in this thread mix strong safeties and free safeties. While they play similarly, the responsibilities of a strong safety in most defenses are very different than the responsibilities of a free safety. It would be like discussing the best defensive lineman and mixing tackles and ends. They don't do the same things on the field, and the comparison is largely apples and oranges.

Dawkins and Reed are free safeties. Polamalu, Lynch, Bob Sanders, Adrian Wilson are all strong safeties. Not surprisingly, Dawkins and Reed are better in coverage and not particularly great in run support; Polamalu, Lynch, Sanders, and Wilson are much better run stoppers, but have/had weaknesses in coverage. That's the nature of the beast.

With I'd agree that Darren Woodson doesn't really qualify in the last 10 years part of this discussion; but he's probably THE most underrated safety in recent history. He played both spots for the Cowboys and played them both at an All-Pro level.. Woodson could cover like a corner and hit like a monster -- and his teams won. His safety play made some relatively weak Cowboys secondaries look a whole lot better than they actually were. What I appreciated about Woodson was that he didn't make a career of flashy plays; his career was built on the steady, "always in the right place," not taking needless chances sort of approach to the game.

Noting the FS/SS difference, I'd take Polamalu is probably the steadiest, most versatile, and most consistent of the guys mentioned in this thread. He's great in run support and he's not a guest in coverage. Reed is much more spectacular and explosive, but I'm not sure that he's as consistent or rugged. Dawkins is a tough guy, but I'm not sure that he's as steady as Polamalu. Sanders, to me, has always been a bit overrated -- they just let him get free runs to the ball a few seasons ago and he made some plays; but he's hurt a lot and, well, frankly, his teams (and their defenses) always seem to come up short. I always thought Lynch was overvalued.

beefanus
02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
polamalu sucked ASS last night
BUT DOESNT HE HAVE 2 SB RINGS?

samikeyp
02-02-2009, 12:43 PM

So does Jason Garrett.

stretch
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM

So does Jason Garrett.

and ben worthlessburger

:lmao

smahmood26
02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
and ben worthlessburger

I love the Cowboy lovers or whoever you root for. It's easy to hate a team that has the most loyal and passionate fan base, the best front office and owner, and the most Super Bowls ever!!!!! Take it on the chin and come out swinging next year

stretch
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I love the Cowboy lovers or whoever you root for. It's easy to hate a team that has the most loyal and passionate fan base, the best front office and owner, and the most Super Bowls ever!!!!! Take it on the chin and come out swinging next year

LMAO bandwagonner

FromWayDowntown
02-02-2009, 05:44 PM
It's easy to hate a team that has the most loyal and passionate fan base, the best front office and owner, and the most Super Bowls ever!!!!!

The most Super Bowls ever is what it is. But this morning, I heard several sports outlets report that the Steelers had become the most successful franchise in NFL history -- an odd claim, given that the Packers have won twice as many titles (all in the time that the Steelers have been in existence), and that the Bears, Browns, and Giants all have won more NFL championships than the Steelers.

The NFL existed before January 1967 and teams were winning titles before that fairly arbitrary point in time.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers
Years in existence: 75
Playoff Appearances: 25
Championships won: 6

Dallas Cowboys
Years in existence: 48
Playoff Appearances: 29
Championships won: 5

LakerHater
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers

Dallas Cowboys

Weren't they the Steagles 1943-1945!?
And Card-Pitt in 1945!?

smahmood26
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers

Dallas Cowboys

Last Playoff game won for the Cowboys_____????

smahmood26
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
LMAO bandwagonner

You nailed it bud!!! Cowboy fan??

florige
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Ed Reed.

That shouldn't be an argument.

I'm not going with him since he plays for my team. I am going with Bob Sanders. He pretty much puts the Colts over the top when teams try and run on them. If he can sure up his instincts for the ball he will have the total package I think.

florige
02-02-2009, 11:04 PM
It's hard to talk just about best "safety," since the options listed in this thread mix strong safeties and free safeties. While they play similarly, the responsibilities of a strong safety in most defenses are very different than the responsibilities of a free safety. It would be like discussing the best defensive lineman and mixing tackles and ends. They don't do the same things on the field, and the comparison is largely apples and oranges.

Dawkins and Reed are free safeties. Polamalu, Lynch, Bob Sanders, Adrian Wilson are all strong safeties. Not surprisingly, Dawkins and Reed are better in coverage and not particularly great in run support; Polamalu, Lynch, Sanders, and Wilson are much better run stoppers, but have/had weaknesses in coverage. That's the nature of the beast.

With I'd agree that Darren Woodson doesn't really qualify in the last 10 years part of this discussion; but he's probably THE most underrated safety in recent history. He played both spots for the Cowboys and played them both at an All-Pro level.. Woodson could cover like a corner and hit like a monster -- and his teams won. His safety play made some relatively weak Cowboys secondaries look a whole lot better than they actually were. What I appreciated about Woodson was that he didn't make a career of flashy plays; his career was built on the steady, "always in the right place," not taking needless chances sort of approach to the game.

Noting the FS/SS difference, I'd take Polamalu is probably the steadiest, most versatile, and most consistent of the guys mentioned in this thread. He's great in run support and he's not a guest in coverage. Reed is much more spectacular and explosive, but I'm not sure that he's as consistent or rugged. Dawkins is a tough guy, but I'm not sure that he's as steady as Polamalu. Sanders, to me, has always been a bit overrated -- they just let him get free runs to the ball a few seasons ago and he made some plays; but he's hurt a lot and, well, frankly, his teams (and their defenses) always seem to come up short. I always thought Lynch was overvalued.

Damn dude, you pretty much nailed that one right on the head. Good breakdown! Thats the only knock that I have on Sanders is he can't seem to stay healthy.

DBryant88
02-03-2009, 10:06 AM

did you see him get a faceful of turf after he got juked out.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Last Playoff game won for the Cowboys_____????

And the Cowboys still have four more playoff appearances than the steelers, despite Pitt's 27 year head start.

I guess Cubs fans should be happy that their team is equally as successful as the Florida Marlins. After all, they've both won the world series twice.

smahmood26
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
And the Cowboys still have four more playoff appearances than the steelers, despite Pitt's 27 year head start.

I guess Cubs fans should be happy that their team is equally as successful as the Florida Marlins. After all, they've both won the world series twice.

Cubs fans are far more loyal and passionate than Marlins fans!!! Thanks for the assist buddy. Also making the playoffs means nothing. Unless you win the whole thing the only difference is draft status. With those missed appearances they are able to draft guys like Roethlisberger!!!!!!!!

Obstructed_View
02-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Cubs fans are far more loyal and passionate than Marlins fans!!! Thanks for the assist buddy. Also making the playoffs means nothing. Unless you win the whole thing the only difference is draft status. With those missed appearances they are able to draft guys like Roethlisberger!!!!!!!!

Wow, one more championship in 37 years. How proud they must be. :lol

smahmood26
02-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Wow, one more championship in 37 years. How proud they must be. :lol

Last time I checked 6 Championships are better than 5. Added bonus is that the Cowboys will not compete for the next 5-10 years!!!

Obstructed_View
02-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Last time I checked 6 Championships are better than 5. Added bonus is that the Cowboys will not compete for the next 5-10 years!!!

The Browns have won 8 championships. 8 is more than 6.

smahmood26
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
The Browns have won 8 championships. 8 is more than 6.

They should be happy with that. Based on my math 8 is a wee bit more than 5. What kinda argument are you making???

Obstructed_View
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
They should be happy with that. Based on my math 8 is a wee bit more than 5. What kinda argument are you making???

That the Steelers aren't the most successful franchise in NFL history. What kinda argument are YOU making?

JoeTait75
02-04-2009, 01:11 AM
The Steelers are the most successful franchise in NFL history, provided NFL history began on December 23, 1972.

peewee's lovechild
02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
The Steelers are the most successful franchise in NFL history, provided NFL history began on December 23, 1972.

It didn't.

And, that honor would probably have to go to Green Bay.

stretch
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
That the Steelers aren't the most successful franchise in NFL history. What kinda argument are YOU making?

smahmood26
02-04-2009, 10:26 AM

Did I ever say they were the best in NFL history? They have the most Super Bowls, but unlike some Steeler fans I understand that the NFL had championships before the Super Bowl. My argument to you was the Steelers were better than the Cowboys. You threw out some stats about 4 more playoff appearances and other crap like that. Not once did I say the Steelers were the greatest team in NFL history!!!!

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Did I ever say they were the best in NFL history?
I made the statement in response to that suggestion, as mentioned in FWD's post. It really had nothing to do with you and your inferiority complex. Learn to read.

My argument to you was the Steelers were better than the Cowboys.

And you're still wrong. The only reason a Steeler fan can even attempt to make that argument with a straight face is because the Cowboys have completely sucked for ten years. The Steelers completely sucked for about 40 years.

smahmood26
02-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Smart fella you are. You responded to my point by copying the "What kinda argument are you making". That was what I said. Get it straight bud

smahmood26
02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
And you're still wrong. The only reason a Steeler fan can even attempt to make that argument with a straight face is because the Cowboys have completely sucked for ten years. The Steelers completely sucked for about 40 years.[/QUOTE]

Steeler Hall of Famers=23 Cowboys Hall of Famers=11
Steeler Super Bowls=6 Cowboys Super Bowls=5

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Steeler Hall of Famers=23 Cowboys Hall of Famers=11
Steeler Super Bowls=6 Cowboys Super Bowls=5

So the Cowboys did more with less, and have more playoff appearances despite sucking for ten years. You aren't exactly strengthening your position with your arguments. :lol

New motto for the Steelers:

"Well, at least we're arguably better than the Cowboys."

Or how about this one:

"As long as the Cowboys don't win another Super Bowl in the next 27 years, we'll be better than they are."

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Smart fella you are. You responded to my point by copying the "What kinda argument are you making". That was what I said. Get it straight bud

I asked because I wonder if you even know what point you are trying to make, because you certainly don't seem to understand the argument, even though you threw yourself into it. Your point seems to be that the Steelers are better than the Cowboys. Maybe they are, but they are far from the most successful team in NFL history. The point I was making by posting the stats is that the Steelers are so fucking far from being the most successful team in NFL history that they are barely, if at all, more successful than the stank-ass Cowboys. I'm not sure where you think you're going by fighting this windmill, but I'm perfectly happy to continue watching you look foolish.

smahmood26
02-04-2009, 08:40 PM
I asked because I wonder if you even know what point you are trying to make, because you certainly don't seem to understand the argument, even though you threw yourself into it. Your point seems to be that the Steelers are better than the Cowboys. Maybe they are, but they are far from the most successful team in NFL history. The point I was making by posting the stats is that the Steelers are so fucking far from being the most successful team in NFL history that they are barely, if at all, more successful than the stank-ass Cowboys. I'm not sure where you think you're going by fighting this windmill, but I'm perfectly happy to continue watching you look foolish.

Again, not once did I say the Steelers were the greatest ever. Ask Patrick Ewing and the Knicks or the Mavericks how good all those playoff appearances feel. Unless you win it dosen't matter if you make the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Again, not once did I say the Steelers were the greatest ever.

Then I don't know why you're getting your panties in such a bunch, because those stats were simply to prove that the Steelers aren't even within shouting distance of the greatest ever. Glad you finally admit you're aware of that. I knew you were.

And playoff appearances are a mark of team success whether or not you'd like to admit it. Since you asked me about the last time the Cowboys were in the playoffs, I suspect you already know that too.

smahmood26
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Then I don't know why you're getting your panties in such a bunch, because those stats were simply to prove that the Steelers aren't even within shouting distance of the greatest ever. Glad you finally admit you're aware of that. I knew you were.

And playoff appearances are a mark of team success whether or not you'd like to admit it. Since you asked me about the last time the Cowboys were in the playoffs, I suspect you already know that too.

No bud, your stats were comparing Steelers v Cowboys. Not once did you provide stats for the Packers, Browns, Colts, or any other team and not once did I say Steelers greatest ever.

Obstructed_View
02-05-2009, 12:40 AM
No bud, your stats were comparing Steelers v Cowboys.
Correct. I never suggested they weren't.

Not once did you provide stats for the Packers, Browns, Colts, or any other team
I wonder why. The Steelers are only as successful as the Cowboys if you don't look at anything before the Super Bowl era and don't count playoff appearances or winning seasons. For that reason they don't even deserve to be mentioned in the conversation with any of those other teams. The Cowboys are middle of the pack, and the Steelers at best don't rise far above them.

and not once did I say Steelers greatest ever.
And not once did I ever suggest that I was responding to anything you said. As I mentioned several posts back I was responding to the suggestion FromWayDowntown mentioned hearing about the Steelers. Notice also that I suggested you learn to read way back then. You still haven't, apparently. :lol