PDA

View Full Version : Someone Please Explain This Craigslist Scam ?

Chief
01-31-2009, 05:33 PM
So I sell Computers and Assesories down here in Costa Rica.

I've heard of the "I'm in Nigeria and would like to send you money" Scam.

But not these.

RE: Apple IPOD 160gb Silver (Brand New) 12 Month Warranty - $380 (San Antonio De Belen.)‏
Sent: Sat 1/31/09 2:46 AM
To: da chief ([email protected])

Hello,
Thanks for the mail, i want you to send me the shipping cost to my pastor in NJ, USA and also send me your full name and your paypal email address for me to arrange for the payment and if you prefer bank transfer, send me your bank information for me to make the payment today, hope i can trust you.

Nice doing business with you.

Apple IPOD 160gb Silver (Brand New) 12 Month Warranty - $380 (San Antonio De Belen.‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as unsafe
Sent: Fri 1/30/09 12:02 PM
To: [email protected]

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Hello Seller,
I john Yeats of the United States, and I want

you to know that I am very interested in buying

these item for an adopted child in Africa and I

will give you to the list including the

cost of sending the matter to my daughter in

Africa, and I would like to pay by Bank transfer

or PayPal payment so you can
return to me, if you like to do business with me.

Thank you and respond as soon as possible so

that I have to pay for the item.

Regards.

Yeats.

((John Yeats ???!!)

PM5K
01-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Umm, as mentioned in your posting, 99% of the time it's a scam if it's not local so the best bet is to always deal locally.

Having said that, the scam is that you'll receive an email from PayPal saying you're received money, but you won't actually have any money in your PayPal account.

Vinnie_Johnson
01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Even if they paypal you and you ship it and spend the money they can still cancel the paypay and you will have to pay the funds back.

King
02-01-2009, 03:54 PM
They'll generally spoof a paypal letter saying that it's been deposited, and you've got the money in your account. A lot of people will send the item based on the letter, and not actually check the account.

RandomGuy
02-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Another thing that happens is that they send you a check for way more than the item is worth, then ask you to "refund" the extra over, via western union

The check is fake of course, and won't be discovered by the bank until after a few days.

In the meantime, the con hopes the mark pays for the overage with real money, and disappears using a faked ID or two at western union.

After the bank discovers the faked check you are 100% on the hook for any money you took out of the bank based on the deposited check.