PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason v. Maggette revisited

itzsoweezee
01-31-2009, 08:20 PM
now that we've had some more time to see how these two have worked out, are you guys still as happy about missing out on maggette in favor of roger mason? mason has been basically a jump shooter (although a very excellent jump shooter) and can't really create his own shot.

maggette, on the other hand, although he's not a great jump shooter this year, still consistently gets to the basket; a trait that would've have helped the spurs tremendously this year. especially considering that manu hasn't really been manu most of the year.

earlier this year, it was pretty clear that mason worked out great. now that the season is half over, i'm not so sure the spurs wouldn't have been better off with corey.

ClingingMars
01-31-2009, 08:29 PM
no way, Mason has fit in almost like a grove with our system.

-Mars

loveforthegame
01-31-2009, 08:30 PM
No regrets.

Maggette still likes to drive to the basket but he's also settling for a lot of jumpers this year.

The biggest difference is that he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. Mason doesn't.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Maggette has a big ego, plays no D, and isn't coachable..he's easily the more talented player, but I don't know if he would be the better fit..he's pretty useless without the ball in his hands at all times..Mason fits better as a role player, because he's a great shooter..

DPG21920
01-31-2009, 08:37 PM
Maggette would have been a very good fit on the Spurs, especially at the price we would have gotten him at. Mason is a very good fit, although different. I think Maggette would be better as a starter than Mason has been, but worse when Manu and TP are on the floor with him. Mason fits much better with Manu and TP on the court at the same time as him.

PM5K
01-31-2009, 08:51 PM
I'll just say that the Spurs are last in the league in FTA and I'll leave it at that...

DPG21920
01-31-2009, 08:52 PM
2nd in the west and 2nd in 3 pt shooting.

honestfool84
01-31-2009, 08:56 PM
knowing what i know now, i'd definitely go with mason over maggette if i had to choose.

like harlemheat said earlier, maggette has way too much of an ego; mason is a spur at heart.

angelbelow
01-31-2009, 09:18 PM
mason has worked out very very well. but if you are saying whehter i would prefer maggette at 5.6 million or mason at 3.8. i would pick maggette everytime. thats just a hell of a bargain. obviously maggette at 10 million is a big FUCK NO.

timtonymanu
01-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Mason won us 3 games this year. So no regrets. Idk about Maggette. who knows how he would have played?

m33p0
01-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Somehow, I got the sense that Pop used Magette to get one of the Spurs' rival to overpay for him just so they can keep Magette out of Spur's hands and thereby shooting themselves on the foot. I feel Pop wanted Mason all along.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2009, 10:36 PM
like angel said too..Maggette is severely overpaid..

Tully365
02-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Mason's very reasonable salary and two year contract will give the Spurs flexibility in future moves.

ElNono
02-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Retarded thread. We just don't know how Corey could have worked in our system. He could've fitted well and we might be having an ever better season right now. We took Mason instead and he's done good overall. But it's hard to quantify what Coey would have brought to the table.

pawe
02-01-2009, 12:51 AM
+1 on everything about Mason over Magette

pawe
02-01-2009, 01:17 AM

SenorSpur
02-01-2009, 11:08 AM

+2

While I love Corey's ability to get into the paint and score and I believe he would've been a good fit, there are no regrets. Mase has been an ideal fit for the Spurs. Also, I doubt that had Maggette been on board that he would've had 3 game-winning shots in his back-pocket like Mase has. Hell, has Corey hit 3-game winning baskets in his career?

NFGIII
02-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Though the point about FTA is valid I believe that Mason's contributions will far outweigh Maggette's.

Corey's seems to be more about himself rather than the team whereas Roger has fit into that concept very well. Big egos don't fit here at all and won't be tolerated by Pop. Maggette took the money and ran which indicated that he was more concerned with a paycheck than winning a ring. I don't have a problem with him doing that, who really would considering that it was $50 M, but it does tell me his priorities. Mason has been a much better fit.

exstatic
02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Somehow, I got the sense that Pop used Magette to get one of the Spurs' rival to overpay for him just so they can keep Magette out of Spur's hands and thereby shooting themselves on the foot. I feel Pop wanted Mason all along.

WTF? GS isn't a rival, they're a perennial also-ran in the WC.

jag
02-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Maggette has a completely different role on GS than Mason does here. We've already had a chance to see what Mason can do when he HAS to be the #1 or #2 option on offense...the guy showed he can take the ball to the hole and create his own shots when need be. This offense is not about everyone trying to be a playmaker. Mason knows his role and he's a perfect fit for spreading the floor and opening up lanes for Manu and Tony. He also keeps the opposing defense honest when trying to double-team Tim.

We have no idea how Maggette would respond to being the #3 or #4 option. He's not the type of guy to spread the floor and he needs a large number of shots to be productive. I think Maggette would have a difficult time finding a rhythm in this offense...and if he were determined to "get his," then i think he might make it difficult for one of the big three to get their rhythm.