PDA

View Full Version : McDonald - Finley, Ginobili Headline Spurs' Rout

Blackjack
02-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Finley, Ginobili headline Spurs' rout
Jeff McDonald - Express-News

Michael Finley still has fond memories of playing in his first All-Star Game.

“I remember playing with Dr. J and those guys,” Finley said.

It is a typical old-guy joke from one of the Spurs' vast collection of old guys.

Finley, an All-Star in 2000 and 2001, won't be going to Phoenix for this year's event, nor did he ever expect to be. Now a 35-year-old role player, Finley's All-Star days are in the rearview mirror.

For 15 minutes of a Southwest Division showdown Saturday night, however, Finley partied like it was the year after 1999.

Dusting off the picture-perfect jump shot that will be the lasting snapshot of his career, Finley pumped in 16 of his 20 points in the first half to help lift the Spurs to a 106-93 victory over New Orleans at the AT&T Center. He made his first six shots, including four 3-pointers, as part of a 28-8 run that gave the Spurs control early in the second quarter.

“I was open and my teammates found me, and I made the most of those opportunities,” said Finley, who enjoyed his first 20-point game since Dec. 30.

With the victory, the Spurs (32-15) extended their lead over the Hornets in the division to three games. It was quite a sendoff for the Spurs, who have won three in a row heading into their annual rodeo road trip, which begins Monday at Golden State.

Tony Parker, who will be headed to Phoenix as an All-Star reserve, had a team-leading 25 points for the Spurs. Manu Ginobili added 22, including an audition for the NBA dunk contest in the third quarter.

The Spurs survived a never-say-die onslaught from New Orleans' Chris Paul, another All-Star. He threw in 29 of his season-high 38 points in the second half, and was the only reason the Hornets (28-16) didn't get blown out of the building.

“He was unbelievable today,” Ginobili said.

So, too, was Ginobili for a pivotal stretch of the third quarter, capped by the highlight-reel play of the night. Coming hard off a screen, Ginobili took a handoff from Matt Bonner and finished a thunderous jam over Hilton Armstrong, drawing a foul before completing the 3-point play.

Had this Ginobili been around since November, perhaps he would be headed to Phoenix this month. He isn't.

Ginobili's plan for All-Star Weekend?

“I'm staying home, relaxing,” Ginobili said. “I need it.”

He could have company on his sofa. Another former All-Star has nothing to do, either.

“I heard Manu is staying in town,” Finley said. “I'll probably stay with him and his wife. She doesn't have to know.”

On Saturday, the Spurs' soon-to-be All-Star couch potatoes led the way.

After Ginobili's dunk and foul shot, Roger Mason Jr. stole the inbounds pass from David West, and threw in a 19-footer. That put the Spurs up 73-59 with 4:17 left in the quarter.

With West, another All-Star, struggling in his second game back from a back injury, and with Tyson Chandler out with an ankle problem, Paul kept his team from flat lining.

He buried four 3-pointers in a four-minute span of the second half. The last of them — swished while being guarded tightly by George Hill — brought the Hornets within 86-79 with 9:27 to play.

In need of a rally stopper, the Spurs leaned on a once-upon-a-time All-Star. Finley responded as if he were back in Dallas in his All-Star heyday, dropping in matching mid-range jumpers on the next two possessions.

“Michael Finley was big for them,” Paul said. “When he hits shots, he gives the entire team confidence.”

The fourth-quarter plays weren't drawn up for Finley. Things just sort of developed that way.

“We don't call the Michael Finley number very often,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “Spacing gets him the ball.”

That's life as a Spurs role player, and it's a reason Finley will never have a shot at another All-Star Game.

It's a life he doesn't mind. He will always have his All-Star memories, both fond and fuzzy.

http://.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Finley_Ginobili_headline_Spurs_rout.html

ClingingMars
02-01-2009, 01:57 AM
a good McDonald article? are you shittin' me?

-Mars

pawe
02-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Fin was great tonight! I hope his hot shooting will be present in the RRT.

spursparker9
02-01-2009, 02:11 AM
mcdonald improves?

TMTTRIO
02-01-2009, 02:16 AM
yeah it's pretty bad

EricB
02-01-2009, 02:22 AM
Nice article :tu

Blackjack
02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
I hope our girl 228 is alright.

I held off on posting last nights stories,(Thanks SpursBrazil:toast) so I figured I'd go ahead and post this.

Hopefully 228's just taking a break and will be back to doing her thing shortly.:)

I guess she finally needed to get some sleep.:lol

bigdog
02-01-2009, 02:49 AM
I actually like this McDonald article. too bad he has a good one, then goes back on his fail streak.

Fin played damn good tonight. glad to see that. hopefully he keeps it up over the road trip.

SpursIndonesia
02-01-2009, 03:10 AM
......With the victory, the Spurs (32-15) extended their lead......

We have to lose against GS to make this statement correct.

Spurs Brazil
02-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I hope our girl 228 is alright.

I miss her.

urunobili
02-01-2009, 08:57 AM
I miss her.

What happened to 228?

m33p0
02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
What happened to 228?
it is believed that she slept.

boutons_
02-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Michael doesn't have his own pad in SA?

What's the joke about sneaky-staying over at Manu's?

Spurs Brazil
02-01-2009, 09:05 AM
What happened to 228?

I don't know but she wasn't here in the last 2 days

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-01-2009, 09:46 AM
it is believed that she slept.

:lol

ElNono
02-01-2009, 12:18 PM
With the victory, the Spurs (32-15) extended...

We are 32-14...

StoneBuddha
02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
We are 32-14...

Wow, don't those guys have editors to catch this stuff!

Manufan909
02-01-2009, 01:40 PM
“I heard Manu is staying in town. I'll probably stay with him and his wife. She doesn't have to know.”

Fin is ficking hilarious.:downspin::lmao:toast

I dispense props, and apologize for calling for his head... until his next under 40% FG game.:p:

Yorae
02-02-2009, 12:16 AM
where's 228.....:depressed

angelbelow
02-02-2009, 04:35 AM
im glad finley has a big game once in a while.

m33p0
02-02-2009, 06:26 AM
where's 228.....:depressed
it's also possible that she found a guy to whom she could pour all her duncan-fetish on.

Yorae
02-02-2009, 06:40 AM
it's also possible that she found a guy to whom she could pour all her duncan-fetish on.

wtf...and leave us all behind..............:dramaquee