PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Hall of Fame class

samikeyp
02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3874838

TAMPA, Fla. -- Bruce Smith, Rod Woodson and Derrick Thomas, all witnesses for the defense. All of them now Pro Football Hall of Famers.

The three were elected on Saturday, along with longtime Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson, who at age 90 will be the oldest person ever inducted; former Minnesota Vikings guard Randall McDaniel; and the late Bob Hayes, a standout wide receiver for Dallas and the 1964 Olympic gold medalist in the 100 meters.

The induction ceremony will be Aug. 8 in Canton, Ohio.

Check out reaction, commentary and anecdotes as gathered by the ESPN NFL bloggers. NFL Nation Blog

The only candidate among the seven finalists who didn't get in was former Falcons and Eagles defensive end Claude Humphrey.

Former commissioner Paul Tagliabue was denied entry for the third straight year, not even making it past the first round of cuts.

Tagliabue, who retired in 2006 after 17 years in the job, has met strong resistance in his three years of eligibility despite the profitability and labor peace the league enjoyed during his tenure.

No such problem for Smith and Woodson in their first year on the ballot.

"I am blessed right now to be standing in front of you. I cry because I am not less than a man but because I am a man," said Smith, the career sacks leader who spent most of his career with the Bills.

"It's a great honor, a great feat," said Woodson, the former defensive back who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers, among other teams. "I'm still pinching myself a little bit, thinking it's surreal."

The moist poignant moment, however, came when Hayes' sister, Lucille Hester, read a note her brother wrote before he died in case he made the Hall of Fame.

In it, he thanked everyone from the city of Dallas to the Dallas Cowboys to the city of Jacksonville, Fla., where he grew up. Hayes died in 2002.

"Tell all my teammates I love them," he wrote.

"It didn't matter how long it took," said Hester, wearing a gray baseball cap with the words "Bob" in red and "Hayes" in blue stitched on it. "Today is here, and it is historic."

A defensive end, Smith retired five years ago with 200 sacks and made two all-decade teams. Drafted No. 1 overall in 1985, Smith had the most seasons with double-digit sacks (13) and the most postseason sacks (14 ½ ). He earned defensive player of the year honors in 1990 and 1996 with Buffalo and concluded his 19-season career with three seasons with the Redskins.

Smith previously said making the hall would be a bigger honor if two other Bills -- Wilson and wide receiver Andre Reed -- also got in the same year. He got half of his wish.

"What a phenomenal class, and especially with having Ralph Wilson, the founding owner of the Buffalo Bills, to be inducted in the '09 class as well," Smith said. "This is truly special."

Then his thoughts turned to his family.

The NFL's all-time sack leader and Buffalo Bills legend joins the 2009 Hall of Fame class.

"Just thinking about my father and all the sacrifices he and my mother made when I was a child growing up to be a man," Smith added, tearfully. "How he wanted me to have a life better than he had. I just wish he was here. He would be extremely proud of this day."

Wilson and the Titans' Bud Adams are the only original AFL members who still own their franchises. Their teams will meet in the Hall of Fame game the day after the inductions.

"It will take a couple minutes to get over the shock ... The fans in Buffalo have been great even though we haven't had much of a product lately … ever since this guy left us," Wilson said, pointing to Smith.

Wilson has steadfastly kept his team in a small market while other owners bolted for the bright lights and big bucks of mega stadiums. He drew the biggest ovation at the announcement and mentioned that he'd seen every hall enshrinee perform at some point.

"Pro football to me is not about making money. It's a matter of competition, the flow of the game," he said. "People in the community become attached to a team. It gives them a quality of life.

"I had a chance to move that team. I think it would be crazy to do that."

Woodson, the 1993 defensive player of the year, also made the 1990s all-decade team. He led the NFL in interceptions in 1999 and 2002 with Baltimore, and in kickoff returns (27.3-yard average) in 1989 with Pittsburgh.

He played cornerback and safety for the Steelers, 49ers, Ravens and Raiders in a 17-season career, winning an NFL championship with Baltimore in 2001 and making Super Bowls with Pittsburgh and Oakland.

Woodson is the career leader in interception returns for touchdowns with 12.

"I don't think any of us started playing football because we wanted to be in the Hall of Fame," Woodson said. "I started playing football because my brothers played."

Rod Woodson is part of the 2009 Pro Bowl Hall of Fame class.

Thomas, who died nine years ago after he was in an auto accident while still an active player, also was on the 1990s all-decade team and was the 1989 defensive rookie of the year. He is 11th in career sacks with 126 ½.

A rushing outside linebacker who also had responsibilities in pass coverage for Kansas City, Thomas set an NFL mark with seven sacks in one game against Seattle on Nov. 11, 1990, a year in which he led the NFL with 20 sacks.

"Derrick Thomas was the cornerstone of the modern era of the Kansas City Chiefs and one of the most feared performers of his era," Chiefs owner Clark Hunt said. "Every head coach and offensive coordinator who faced the Chiefs during the 1990s knew when they came to Arrowhead Stadium they had to account for Derrick Thomas."

McDaniel was that rare guard who was as effective in pass protection as in run blocking and who could handle even the best defensive linemen single-handedly. He missed only two games in his 14-season career and was yet another member of the 1990s all-decade team.

"I never thought it would happen," McDaniel said. "It's kind of overwhelming. I accept this knowing I could not have done this without all the other offensive lineman I played with."

Said Smith: "Randall was a beast. Once he locked on to you, you couldn't go anywhere."

Hayes was the most dangerous deep threat in pro football from 1965 to 1975. Nicknamed "Bullet Bob," he twice led the NFL in touchdown catches and in average yards per reception. He also was a brilliant kick returner.

The long wait for Hayes to get into the hall -- he was a senior committee choice -- had much to do with problems he had off the field.

Hayes served 10 months in a Texas prison after pleading guilty in 1979 to delivering narcotics to an undercover officer. That "destroyed my life" Hayes wrote in his autobiography, "Run, Bullet, Run: The Rise, Fall, and Recovery of Bob Hayes." The prison term ended at about the same time he first became eligible for the hall.

Tagliabue's day still has not arrived. Critics cited his inability to place a team back in Los Angeles after the Rams and Raiders left in 1995, and said the labor agreement he pushed through in 2006 was cast aside by the owners last year.

samikeyp
02-01-2009, 10:00 AM
What a great class.

Glad to see Bullet Bob finally get his due. Also glad to see Derrick Thomas get in. He left us way too soon.

IronMexican
02-01-2009, 11:45 AM
:tu Rod Wood. Never forget what he did for the Raiders.

peewee's lovechild
02-01-2009, 12:13 PM
Also glad to see Derrick Thomas get in. He left us way too soon.

No shit.

He should've been in a long time ago.

peewee's lovechild
02-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I thought Carter was going to make it in.

IronMexican
02-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Cris Carter not getting in threatens Tim Brown not getting. They both are first ballot and its a shame

Obstructed_View
02-01-2009, 03:55 PM
How the hell is Carter not in? Between Cris and Art Monk, voters should be ashamed. If Jerry Rice had never existed, Cris Carter would have a number of all time records. Marvin Harrison just passed him for number two all time in yards.

peewee's lovechild
02-01-2009, 03:58 PM
How the hell is Carter not in? Between Cris and Art Monk, voters should be ashamed. If Jerry Rice had never existed, Cris Carter would have a number of all time records. Marvin Harrison just passed him for number two all time in yards.

True.

He'll be in next year.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2009, 04:00 PM
True.

He'll be in next year.

Fuckin' should have been in last year. I think it's because he was a dick to the reporters when he played, but if they can't be objective enough to vote him in, then they should go fucking wash dishes or deliver mail.

peewee's lovechild
02-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Fuckin' should have been in last year. I think it's because he was a dick to the reporters when he played, but if they can't be objective enough to vote him in, then they should go fucking wash dishes or deliver mail.

I've always said that the only ones who should be allowed to vote are current HOFs and active coaches and owners.

J.T.
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Marvin Harrison just passed him for number two all time in yards.

Marv is bad ass like that.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Marv is bad ass like that.

Well he'd better get to work because according to the voters he's not qualified for the hall of fame.

peewee's lovechild
02-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Well he'd better get to work because according to the voters he's not qualified for the hall of fame.

He's got a ring, played with Manning, and is one half of one of the greatest tandems in NFL history.

He's a shoe in.

Unless he goes shooting more people around his car wash.

Obstructed_View
02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
He's got a ring, played with Manning, and is one half of one of the greatest tandems in NFL history.

He's a shoe in.

Unless he goes shooting more people around his car wash.

So playing with Peyton Manning is a requirement for induction? That's gonna suck for a lot of people going forward.

Carter has the same number of rings as Derrick Thomas and Bruce Smith, and has been to the same number of pro bowls as Marvin with more touchdowns and one fewer yard. Again, Marvin better get his ass to work.

samikeyp
02-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Agreed.

It took wayyyy too long for Monk to get in, hopefully they won't waste time with Carter.

Pistons < Spurs
08-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Congrats to Derrick Thomas! It took far too long for him to be inducted, but it's great to finally see him honored as he deserved. And props to Carl Peterson ... who I typically hate ... for a great acceptance speech. When Marty started crying, I pretty much lost it myself. Him passing so long ago now, I didn't expect to get emotional over his acceptance into the HOF, but it was impossible to hold back the tears. As a young kid growing up in the KC area, going to home games in Arrowhead Stadium, the love that we fans had for him is completely indescribable. The impact he had on us was amazing. So many big plays in big games, especially against hated rivals like the Broncos and Raiders, forever endeared us to him. Taken from us way too soon, Chiefs fans will forever remember the great Derrick Thomas!

manufan10
08-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I've always said that the only ones who should be allowed to vote are current HOFs and active coaches and owners.

That would be a great idea. I understand keeping out guys who don't really deserve it being shunned. Or like the steroid guys in baseball, but to simply not vote a guy in because you don't like him or you have a personal vendetta is pathetic. It makes the Hall of Fame look like a sham, a fraud, a fake.

Udokafan05
08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Ralph Wilson's and Randall McDaniels speeches were both really good.

Blackjack
08-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats to Derrick Thomas! It took far too long for him to be inducted, but it's great to finally see him honored as he deserved. And props to Carl Peterson ... who I typically hate ... for a great acceptance speech. When Marty started crying, I pretty much lost it myself. Him passing so long ago now, I didn't expect to get emotional over his acceptance into the HOF, but it was impossible to hold back the tears. As a young kid growing up in the KC area, going to home games in Arrowhead Stadium, the love that we fans had for him is completely indescribable. The impact he had on us was amazing. So many big plays in big games, especially against hated rivals like the Broncos and Raiders, forever endeared us to him. Taken from us way too soon, Chiefs fans will forever remember the great Derrick Thomas!

I didn't grow up in the KC area, but that's pretty much my sentiments exactly. :tu

I, too, was having a hard time holdin' 'em back. Peterson really did a good job enlightening the uninformed.

Not being a Cowboys fan I usually rooted for players growing up, and none more so that DT.

It should have happened sooner, but better late than never.:toast

gaKNOW!blee
08-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce!

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/.a/6a00d83451c3cb69e201116837d73f970c-320wi

SpuronyourFace
08-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Bob Hayes! The Bullet.