PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps uses a RooR

balli
02-01-2009, 01:53 PM
:smokin
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/150832/14-times-Olympic-gold-medal-winner-Michael-Phelps-caught-with-bong-cannabis-pipe.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/31/michael-phelps-bong-pictu_n_162842.html
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2503/phelps516010225518aya0.jpg

The Reckoning
02-01-2009, 03:01 PM
"its for my autism."

IceColdBrewski
02-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Pretty stupid of him. It's not like olympic stars have unlimited time to cash in on their fame.

Nice bong though.

jack sommerset
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
good for him

thispego
02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
lol

Taint

The US Olympics Committee, who have pledged to clamp down on drug use, refused to comment, as did USA Swimming and Phelps’ coach Bob Bowman.

More surprising still was the World Anti-Doping Agency’s refusal to comment, given that they introduced the four-year ban on sport’s drug users.

Phelps, who earned £4million last year in endorsements, has resumed training for the 2012 games.

But there were fears about his commitment when, weeks after the bong incident, he began dating former stripper Caroline Pal.

Phelps is represented by marketing giant Octagon, which works with huge brands such as Mastercard and HSBC. They admitted proven cannabis use would be “a major taint” on Phelps’ character.

Spokesman Clifford Bloxham offered us an extraordinary deal not to publish our story, saying Phelps would become our columnist for three years, host events and get his sponsors to advertise with us.

In return, he asked that we kill Phelps’ bong picture. Bloxham said: “It’s seeing if something potentially very negative for Michael could turn into something very positive for the News of the World.”

He stressed that the swimmer had taken 1,500 drug tests and never failed one.

Until now?

Chief
02-01-2009, 04:08 PM
is this real ?

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-01-2009, 04:11 PM
is this real ?

yea
he admitted do it

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-01-2009, 04:12 PM
smooth move Phelps
you just lost yourself some serious cash in endorsements
sure, you might be an olympic star now...but look at bruce jenner

dirk4mvp
02-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Does the rest of the world suck that bad that they let a pothead kick their ass for 8 golds?

timvp
02-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm sick of these gangster hood rat athletes who don't appreciate what they've been given.

mookie2001
02-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I bet his credit score blows

mookie2001
02-01-2009, 05:22 PM
pizzatime

Spur-Addict
02-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Yes! Phelps is the man for this. Oh yeah, I actually created a thread for this in "other sports". Merge or w/e, or close if that's the policy. Here she blows..

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3073222#post3073222

IceColdBrewski
02-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes! Phelps is the man for this.

He's the man? Really?

Let me ask you. How much of your salary and reputation would you be willing to give up for a bong rip? Just curious.

mookie2001
02-01-2009, 05:53 PM
im sure he'll be hurting after this one

then his credit score will fall real low
poor bastard

Spur-Addict
02-01-2009, 05:57 PM
He's the man? Really?

Let me ask you. How much of your salary and reputation would you be willing to give up for a bong rip? Just curious.

Man he will live in infamy for winning eight gold medals. Additionally, he has made a fair chunk of money already from endorsements. I bet he could retire right now. I could give two flying fucks what other people think of me. That about answers your questions.

Spur-Addict
02-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Oh, and i'm sure he has had a past history with M.J, so i'm pretty sure he didn't just decide to up and smoke after winning eight gold medals. Even if he did, that's all the more reason to do so. There isn't much higher to go after getting eight gold medals, he should just keep hitting the ceiling on a daily basis to extend the moment. WooOoOOoOo Phelps!

FreeMason
02-01-2009, 06:07 PM
eh wgaf.

The man is basically AquaMan. He's already made 10 mil+ so if I were him, I wouldn't care. I doubt the target audience for his endorsed products care much either.

exstatic
02-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Phelps' next endorsement deal...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/consuminginterests/blog/doritos.jpg

RashoFan
02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Does the rest of the world suck that bad that they let a pothead kick their ass for 8 golds?

:lmao
RACK!

1Parker1
02-01-2009, 08:01 PM

:lol

Problem with many of these young athletes who experience success at such an early age is they aren't very emotionally mature. They don't realize what an impact they can have.

Reck
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM
He was probably bored when he did that.

He's Human afterall.

ClingingMars
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
when you win a record number of gold medals you can do w/e the fuck you want

-Mars

samikeyp
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Dumbass.

ALVAREZ6
02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
who gives a shit, I think it's great

helps the message that the occasional weed is no big deal at all. it clearly hasn't hampered his success.

mookie2001
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM
there goes the tebow christian fellowship athlete of the year

ClingingMars
02-01-2009, 11:17 PM
where is Corso?

-Mars

Sec24Row7
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
They can ban him from the olympics for doing MJ? wtf... what about all the athletes from Jamaica and the Netherlands?

IceColdBrewski
02-01-2009, 11:30 PM
They can ban him from the olympics for doing MJ? wtf... what about all the athletes from Jamaica and the Netherlands?

I'm guessing they're smart enough to not let their friends take pictures whenever they feel like taking a bong rip.

Sec24Row7
02-01-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm guessing they're smart enough to not let their friends take pictures whenever they feel like taking a bong rip.

Yeah but it is legal in their countries...

ploto
02-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps admitted to "regrettable" behavior Sunday and vowed it wouldn't happen again after a British newspaper published a photograph of the swimmer smoking a marijuana pipe.

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," the record-setting American athlete said in a statement issued Sunday.

"I'm 23 years old, and despite the successes I have had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner that people have come to expect from me," Phelps said. "For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public -- it will not happen again."

Phelps won a record eight gold medals at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China, four years after he won six gold medals at the Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece. He has received numerous corporate endorsements totaling millions of dollars.

His statement was also posted on his Facebook page, followed by comments of both support and admonishment from fans.

In a separate statement, the U.S. Olympic Committee said it was "disappointed in the behavior recently exhibited by Michael Phelps."

"Michael is a role model, and he is well aware of the responsibilities and accountability that come with setting a positive example for others, particularly young people," the committee said. "In this instance, regrettably, he failed to fulfill those responsibilities."

However, it added, "Michael has acknowledged that he made a mistake and apologized for his actions. We are confident that, going forward, Michael will consistently set the type of example we all expect from a great Olympic champion."

The picture, billed as an exclusive by the tabloid News of the World, showed Phelps using a water pipe during what it said was a November party at the University of South Carolina. In 2004, Phelps was arrested on charges of driving under the influence in Salisbury, Maryland. Phelps pleaded guilty and received 18 months probation in that incident, issuing an apology afterward.

"Getting into a car with anything to drink is wrong. It's dangerous and it's unacceptable. I'm 19, but was taught that no matter how old you are, you take responsibility for actions, which I do," Phelps told ESPN.

The Olympic swimmer is one of 12 Olympic athletes that have pledged to "My Victory," an initiative launched last year by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to keep competitive sports clean of cheating and drug use

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/01/michael.phelps.marijuana/index.html

InRareForm
02-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Omg People Smoke Weed????? No Way!!!!!

koriwhat
02-02-2009, 01:34 AM
smoke weed everyday!

and for all those who bash people for smoking herb... wake the fuck up and realize you ain't so fuckin' saint either and that the alcohol that ruins our society, the government that drugs your kids with speed, and the occasional pill poppin' mother who just wants to clean house or relieve some stress is worse then some swimming pothead.

it's ridiculous when i read/hear others down smokers because they are getting high. fuckin' get off your high horse motherfuckers!

manufor3
02-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Phelps' next endorsement deal...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/consuminginterests/blog/doritos.jpg

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Mister Sinister
02-02-2009, 07:56 AM
eh wgaf.

The man is basically AquaMan. He's already made 10 mil+ so if I were him, I wouldn't care. I doubt the target audience for his endorsed products care much either.
Which Aquaman are we talking here? Short hair, joke character, or long haired, bearded, cuts-off-his-own-hand-to-save-his-son-then-replaces-it-with-a-hook character?

JoeChalupa
02-02-2009, 07:57 AM
I bet he can hold a hit with the best of them.

florige
02-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Somebody was saying that he came into that party ripped and out of control already. He probably didn't know what the hell was going on around him. He just doesn't seem to give a crap though...:lol

ALVAREZ6
02-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I bet he can hold a hit with the best of them.
:lol probably true

JudynTX
02-02-2009, 08:51 AM
What kind of bong is that? :D

Rogue
02-02-2009, 08:52 AM
fuck the british paper which published that fucking picture. why didn't those british MFers take pictures of their prince when he is bathing and post them publicly? why the F doesn't them pay more attention to the murder of his former wife?
I bet those british MFers are holding hundreds of pictures of their prince starking on whores or his two sons masterbating while watching "monster's ball", why the F didn't they publish those pictures?
It's the basic human rights to determin whether to smoke and what to smoke, it doesn't make any difference whether to smoke roor or common cigaret.

DisAsTerBot
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm sick of these people on their soapboxes telling people how to feel and act...

DisAsTerBot
02-02-2009, 09:35 AM
smoke weed everyday!

and for all those who bash people for smoking herb... wake the fuck up and realize you ain't so fuckin' saint either and that the alcohol that ruins our society, the government that drugs your kids with speed, and the occasional pill poppin' mother who just wants to clean house or relieve some stress is worse then some swimming pothead.

it's ridiculous when i read/hear others down smokers because they are getting high. fuckin' get off your high horse motherfuckers!

:tu

Leetonidas
02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my thoughts have been covered in this topic by my pro-cannabis brethren.

Like all you critical mother fuckers haven't lit up a spliff before. Get the fuck outta here.

Dex
02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Not the weeds!

Thems the devil!

MannyIsGod
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Our society is fucking stupid.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
He should have just eaten a brownie. Then they would have just thought he was a fat ass.

balli
02-02-2009, 02:56 PM
when you win a record number of gold medals you can do w/e the fuck you want
That's a more progressive view than you held a year ago. :tu

-Mars
And I thought you weren't doing this shit anymore? Only when you're not quoting someone?

ClingingMars
02-02-2009, 03:43 PM
And I thought you weren't doing this shit anymore? Only when you're not quoting someone?

yeah, i made a thread about it in here, around here somewhere.

Spurminator
02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Our society is fucking stupid.

Pretty much my take from all of this.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
If anything, more props to him. Fucker beats all of those German assholes then lights up a J.

CosmicCowboy
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Big fucking deal.

We just elected a President of the United States that admitted to doing cocaine and nobody gave a shit...

It was just a friggen bong hit!

balli
02-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Actually, he's more or less gotten a pass. If anything, the fact that nobody seems to cares points out even further the irony of marijuana's illegality.

ClingingMars
02-02-2009, 05:11 PM
I would aliken it to if MJ got caught doing the same thing after one of his many championships.

-Mars

CuckingFunt
02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
For me, there's a big difference between criticizing someone for smoking weed, and criticizing someone for making a poor decision. I don't think that smoking weed should be a big deal. At all. But doing something so silly and trivial when it could have very serious consequences is just stupid. At least wait until you're with a group of people you can trust not to break out a camera.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2009, 06:00 PM
For me, there's a big difference between criticizing someone for smoking weed, and criticizing someone for making a poor decision. I don't think that smoking weed should be a big deal. At all. But doing something so silly and trivial when it could have very serious consequences is just stupid. At least wait until you're with a group of people you can trust not to break out a camera.

Sure, but the dude is a young 20 something. People need to put it in context. He's a young 20 something who is great at swimming. I'm not sure he ever wanted to portray himself as a saint. I'm willing to give a 20 something a pass on making a stupid decision because the nature of being in your 20s is making stupid decision after stupid decision for most of us.

I have more of a problem that people in society feel the need to question someone else for taking a bong hit than anything else out of this situation. And I'm not lumping you in with them, btw, I'm just saying. It pretty much simply disgusts me that I've seen this all over the news.

timvp
02-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure he ever wanted to portray himself as a saint.

The Olympic swimmer is one of 12 Olympic athletes that have pledged to "My Victory," an initiative launched last year by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to keep competitive sports clean of cheating and drug use

Not that I care about a swimmer but it does look like he tried to sanctify himself.

whottt
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
To me this whole debate is stupid...

The whole purpose of being clean and anti-doping in atheletics, is to enable fair playing field. To make sure one athlete isn't taking a substance that gives him an advantage over another in a field of competition...

Marijuana, is not now, nor has it ever been, considered a performance enhancer and if anything it's rep lies with being a performance de-hancer...

He didn't get any boost from smoking pot and since it can in fact be harmful to the respiratory system, if anything he's made it tougher on himself.

So I don't see what the big deal is...

Nor do I give a shit if Michael Phelps smokes pot...I also don't think he's made any huge career blunder, as he's already made more money than most people will ever make in their lives.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Not that I care about a swimmer but it does look like he tried to sanctify himself.

Well then dumbass pretty much deserves what he gets. You can't sit there and play up shit like that if you're a smoker. Now I'm more annoyed that he's a hypocrite.

whottt
02-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Because marijuana is so synonymous with enhancing atheletic performance.

MannyIsGod
02-02-2009, 06:26 PM

cheating AND drug use

Doesn't say just performance enhancing anywhere. Trust me, I'm a fan of pot. I'm not a fan of people making a big deal that they're not users. Its like those stupid virginity pledges (how well did that shit work out for you Britney?).

whottt
02-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Doesn't say just performance enhancing anywhere. Trust me, I'm a fan of pot. I'm not a fan of people making a big deal that they're not users. Its like those stupid virginity pledges (how well did that shit work out for you Britney?).

But he wasn't using drugs in sports or athletics...he was using marijuana for recreational use outside of athletic competition.

There is nothing contradictory about the positions...

Keeping sports free of cheating and doping obviously means performance enhancing drugs...

It's not like sports are plagued with heroin addicts...and there's a reason for that.

timvp
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Keeping sports free of cheating and doping obviously means performance enhancing drugs...

His oath wouldn't have mentioned keeping the sport clean AND drug use if it was just talking about PEDs. But yeah, I really don't care. I remember you hyping him up something major during the Olympics some I'm sure we'll get to see you go to bat for him.

Spurminator
02-02-2009, 07:25 PM

I'm with Whottt on this. Though I'm sure the USADA didn't want its marquee athlete doing any kind of illegal drugs. Anyway, this is only a story because a private photo got leaked to a tabloid which is a symptom of a much larger societal problem than an Olympic swimmer smoking from a bong.

The Reckoning
02-02-2009, 08:03 PM

it helped him injest 12000 calories a day

tp2021
02-02-2009, 08:06 PM
it helped him injest 12000 calories a day

ALVAREZ6
02-02-2009, 09:37 PM
We all know half the NBA rolls joints, at least in the offseason, so who gives a fuck.

whottt
02-02-2009, 10:40 PM
His oath wouldn't have mentioned keeping the sport clean AND drug use if it was just talking about PEDs. But yeah, I really don't care. I remember you hyping him up something major during the Olympics some I'm sure we'll get to see you go to bat for him.

Yeah I hate to break it to you slick...but you know when teams win championships and bathe in champagne?

That is professional athletes engaging in a drug orgy because alcohol is a drug.

A depressant, just like Marijuana...difference is, alcohol is more powerful, more addictive, more imparing, and more damaging.

So unless every one of those athletes is also sober, they are breaking their oaths as well.

whottt
02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
timvp is obviously from the all drugs are the same school...except alcohol.

Disappointing...

JohnnySixString
02-03-2009, 02:48 AM
It actually pissed me off that he did exactly what everyone around him told him to. I can't really blame him though, because of the money to be made or lost. But it was his statement that pissed me off. He made it sound like he got caught feeling up a 6 year old in a kiddie pool under the premise of 'Future Olympic Swimmer' lessons. He smoked some weed for crying out loud. How in the hell is taking a bong hit worse than getting a fricking DUI (he was convicted in 04)? He might as well be a spokesperson for D.A.R.E., recounting how he made this horrible horrible mistake by stupidly smoking marijuana and how it could have ruined his life because it's such a dangerous and evil thing. I thought it was kind of a pussy move to cave in the way he did. But again, I'd say the same thing with a big thumbs up smile if I had millions on the line.

It could have been a giant step in getting the public to actually educate itself on marijuana instead of accepting the myths that have been perpetuated since the 1930's. Remember, marijuana became illegal because Harry Anslinger convinced congress of things like: ""There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others."" That was just one of his 'arguments' why it needed to be illegal. We find them funny now, but films like Assassin of Youth and Reefer Madness were taken as literal truth back then. Why in the FUCK are we as a nation, and a planet for that matter, still fucking thinking the same way NOW??? It boggles my mind when I hear people who have never tried it still spouting the same lines of bullshit rhetoric as those crooked ass racists back in the '30s.

I guess Michael Phelps doesn't share the same sentiment though:lol. Go for the "gold" Mikey boy. And try not to kill someone the next time you drive drunk.:toast

timvp
02-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Yeah I hate to break it to you slick...but you know when teams win championships and bathe in champagne?

That is professional athletes engaging in a drug orgy because alcohol is a drug.

A depressant, just like Marijuana...difference is, alcohol is more powerful, more addictive, more imparing, and more damaging.

So unless every one of those athletes is also sober, they are breaking their oaths as well.
Since when did every athlete on the planet sign that pledge? You need to go back to the drawing board on that post.

whottt
02-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Since when did every athlete on the planet sign that pledge? You need to go back to the drawing board on that post.

No...you need to prove that every athlete that signed that pledge doesn't drink. Since it is entirely about performance enhancing drugs and cheating...good luck.

Rapper
02-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Is it a big deal?

MannyIsGod
02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
No...you need to prove that every athlete that signed that pledge doesn't drink. Since it is entirely about performance enhancing drugs and cheating...good luck.

You just define an argument in any way you please no matter the reality of the situation. Its funny.

whottt
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM

You just define an argument in any way you please no matter the reality of the situation. Its funny.

No...the article defined it for me:

That's pretty self explanatory to me...but if you need more proof:

It's an initiative launched by the US Anti-doping agency...My Victory...

Their slogan is, "I compete clean".

http://www.usantidoping.org/

MannyIsGod
02-03-2009, 09:12 AM
You're right. It is obvious. That hasn't stopped you from misunderstanding why cheating and drug use are separate.

Whisky Dog
02-03-2009, 01:12 PM
You mean marijuana won't make me a loser like the after school specials told me?

Extra Stout
02-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Star Athlete Cultivates Squeaky-Clean Image in Order to Make More Money, Without Any Intention of Living Up to It

Film at 11

Boris
02-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Cut the guy some slack. He may have simply forgotten for a moment how much his millions depend on his image.

JudynTX
02-03-2009, 05:29 PM
This is turning into a mess.
-----------------------------------

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) - Olympic superstar Michael Phelps could face criminal charges in the fallout from a photo showing the swimmer smoking from a marijuana pipe at a University of South Carolina house party.

A spokesman for Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, who is known for his tough stance on drugs, said Tuesday the department was investigating.

"Our narcotics division is reviewing the information that we have, and they're investigating what charges, if any, will be filed," said Lt. Chris Cowan, a spokesman for the agency.

The photo first shown in British tabloid News of the World on Sunday was snapped during a November party while Phelps was visiting the university, according to the paper.

Phelps, 23, and his team have not disputed the photo's accuracy. Phelps has issued a public apology, acknowledging "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after the photo appeared.

One of Phelps' agents, Drew Johnson, said Tuesday authorities had not contacted the swimmer. "So we really can't speculate," he said.

Last fall, Phelps was introduced to large applause at South Carolina's football game with Arkansas. He met with players and visited with Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier, who gave Phelps one of the ball coach's trademark visors.

Phelps also spoke at a university class on sports' role in society.

Where exactly the party occurred isn't clear. The university said its police have no evidence it was on campus, and city police said they won't pursue criminal charges unless more information comes forward.

The Richland County sheriff can pursue charges as long as the party was in the county, the spokesman said.

"The bottom line is, if he broke the law, and he did it in Richland County, he's going to be charged," Cowan said. "And there's no difference between Michael Phelps and several other people that we arrest for the same type of a charge everyday."

Under South Carolina law, possession of one ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor that carries a fine of up to $200 and 30 days in jail for the first offense. Possession of paraphernalia is a $500 fine.

Meanwhile, another of Phelps's big-name sponsors — credit-payment processor Visa Inc. — said it supports him.

"We have spoken with Michael, and he has expressed regret for the situation, has committed to being accountable and improving his judgment in the future," Visa said. "We intend to support him as he looks to move forward."

On Monday, sponsors including apparel company Speedo, luxury Swiss watchmaker Omega and sports beverage PureSport's maker Human Performance Labs also said they stand behind the athlete, even if they don't condone his behavior.

Some of Phelps sponsors still weren't commenting on Tuesday. A spokeswoman at Kellogg Co. said the cereal maker declined to comment. The company put Phelps on boxes of its Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9163964/SC-sheriff-investigating-Phelps'-bong-photo&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

Spurminator
02-03-2009, 05:58 PM
"And there's no difference between Michael Phelps and several other people that we arrest for the same type of a charge everyday."

Yes there is. Michael Phelps had a photo published in a tabloid and that's the only reason you knew about it.

tp2021
02-03-2009, 06:03 PM
A spokesman for Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, who is known for his tough stance on drugs, said Tuesday the department was investigating.

He must have nothing better to do. Seriously, WGAF? Sheriff just wants to make a name for himself.

JohnnySixString
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) - Olympic superstar Michael Phelps could face criminal charges in the fallout from a photo showing the swimmer smoking from a marijuana pipe at a University of South Carolina house party.

"Our narcotics division is reviewing the information that we have, and they're investigating what charges, if any, will be filed," said Lt. Chris Cowan, a spokesman for the agency.

The photo first shown in British tabloid News of the World on Sunday was snapped during a November party while Phelps was visiting the university, according to the paper.

Phelps, 23, and his team have not disputed the photo's accuracy. Phelps has issued a public apology, acknowledging "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after the photo appeared.

One of Phelps' agents, Drew Johnson, said Tuesday authorities had not contacted the swimmer. "So we really can't speculate," he said.

Last fall, Phelps was introduced to large applause at South Carolina's football game with Arkansas. He met with players and visited with Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier, who gave Phelps one of the ball coach's trademark visors.

Where exactly the party occurred isn't clear. The university said its police have no evidence it was on campus, and city police said they won't pursue criminal charges unless more information comes forward.

The Richland County sheriff can pursue charges as long as the party was in the county, the spokesman said.

"The bottom line is, if he broke the law, and he did it in Richland County, he's going to be charged," Cowan said. "And there's no difference between Michael Phelps and several other people that we arrest for the same type of a charge everyday."

Under South Carolina law, possession of one ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor that carries a fine of up to $200 and 30 days in jail for the first offense. Possession of paraphernalia is a $500 fine.

Meanwhile, another of Phelps's big-name sponsors — credit-payment processor Visa Inc. — said it supports him.

"We have spoken with Michael, and he has expressed regret for the situation, has committed to being accountable and improving his judgment in the future," Visa said. "We intend to support him as he looks to move forward."

On Monday, sponsors including apparel company Speedo, luxury Swiss watchmaker Omega and sports beverage PureSport's maker Human Performance Labs also said they stand behind the athlete, even if they don't condone his behavior.

Some of Phelps sponsors still weren't commenting on Tuesday. A spokeswoman at Kellogg Co. said the cereal maker declined to comment. The company put Phelps on boxes of its Frosted Flakes and Corn Flakes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9163964/SC-sheriff-investigating-Phelps'-bong-photo&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

Wow. Just fucking WOW.:wow

I'd like to see how they are going to find him guilty of possession of marijuana based on a picture. If they're able to...how fucking scary is that? Anyone in a picture shown to be smoking marijuana, or even pretending to be, could be charged with possession? What the fuck? Where's the "possession" after the fact? Illegal use of a drug, maybe. This isn't a picture of him holding a gun to a teller's head while he's robbing a bank or something. Are they going to find the ashes from the bowl and submit it as evidence? :lol

This is just a case of an asshole trying to make a bigger name for himself. He looked down at his cock and recognized it was small and it left him feeling insignificant and inadequate. So he decided to give his small-dick crushed ego a boost by proving how much of a bad-ass drug busting cop he really is. His dick must be awfully small these days to be going after a 14 time Gold medalist, based on a picture, for a charge that is ultimately less significant than his own sorry ass.

spurs_2108
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
^ Just came here to share. Thats stupid that they want to charge him based on a picture.

baseline bum
02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Would have been more impressive if he was winning golds after dropping acid.

Ginobilly
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM

This is diabolically disgusting and scary! I'm slowly losing my hope in humanity...What's next, is the gov going to start taxing us for the air we breathe?

whottt
02-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Would have been more impressive if he was winning golds after dropping acid.

Unlike marijuana, I think LSD may have the potential to be classified as a performance enhancing drug...depending on the situation.

For instance, on June 12th 1970 Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter on LSD for the Pittsburgh Pirates against the San Diego Padres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis

baseline bum
02-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Unlike marijuana, I think LSD may have the potential to be classified as a performance enhancing drug...depending on the situation.

For instance, on June 12th 1970 Dock Ellis pitched a no-hitter on LSD for the Pittsburgh Pirates against the San Diego Padres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dock_Ellis

:lmao That's fucking awesome. I can't imagine pitching a game on acid. Maybe in an empty stadium, but not with fans and flashbulbs and all other kinds of crazy shit going on. :lol

http://nomas-nyc.com/uploaded_images/dock-735124.jpg

Re-Animator
02-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't see how a picture can convict a person after photo shop came around.

If that was true, they should have arrested this vato long ago,

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/mouse-1.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/LJ-terror.jpg

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 08:42 AM
South Carolina, the same state that wants to ban cussing. :lmao Good luck with that too!

Sorry to anyone from South Carolina, but that state sucks.

florige
02-04-2009, 08:50 AM
I bet the next time he does that he will have the smarts to go into a bathroom or something. Especially a party where there's people there you don't know. I know he would love to get his hands on the asshole who took that picture. The DWI he got in 04 was pretty unavoidable from being leaked to the media by it being public information.

TimothyLeary
02-04-2009, 08:51 AM
:lmao That's fucking awesome. I can't imagine pitching a game on acid. Maybe in an empty stadium, but not with fans and flashbulbs and all other kinds of crazy shit going on. :lol

http://nomas-nyc.com/uploaded_images/dock-735124.jpg

You'd be surprised what I've done while on acid. Any drug can alter one's performance good or bad. It is all in the mind.

mouse
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
The upside is he can always get a Job hosting Fear Factor.

Joe Rogan
02-04-2009, 12:59 PM
The upside is he can always get a Job hosting Fear Factor.

florige
02-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Damn, Phelps said he may not even swim in 2012 because of this crap....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/olympics/bal-michael-phelps-talks-204,0,7428864.story

Michael Phelps leaves the Meadowbrook Athletic Club Wednesday. "It's definitely not what I wanted, and it's clearly not what my mom wanted," Phelps of the tabloid photo showing him apparently smoking marijuana. (AP photo / February 4, 2009)

In his first interview since a photo surfaced showing him smoking from a marijuana pipe, Michael Phelps said today that the intense public scrutiny has him contemplating whether he will swim in the 2012 Olympics.

Phelps, who said he "clearly made a mistake," and that the past week has been both embarrassing and uncomfortable for him, spoke with The Baltimore Sun inside Meadowbrook Athletic Club after finishing his daily workout. While he still has goals he wants to achieve in the sport, he said he's going to discuss it over with his family and his coach, Bob Bowman.

"This is a decision of mine that I'm not going to make today and I'm not going to make tomorrow," Phelps said. "It's going to require a lot of time and energy and a lot of thinking for myself. But also talking to Bob and talking to my family and just deciding what I want to do.

"Yeah, there are still goals that I have in the pool, 100 percent. But I'm not going to let anything stand in my way. If I decide to walk away, I'll decide to walk away on my own terms. If it's now, if it's four years, who knows. But it is something I need to think about and decide what I want to do."

Bowman said he doesn't foresee Phelps retiring until after the 2012 Olympic Games, but that he understands how difficult it is for Phelps to live up to the public's high expectations.

The 23-year-old Rodgers Forge native said he realizes that his actions seem that much more foolish considering this is his second public slip up, following a DUI in 2004. Phelps said it "definitely wasn't easy" to tell his mother, Debbie, a principal at Windsor Mill Middle School, about the picture.

"Seeing my mom reminded me of how it was the day after I got my DUI, and I swore to myself I'd never do that again," Phelps said. "This is just a stupid thing of mine that I did, and I have to live with it."

Phelps said he's spent the past few days with his mom and his two sisters, Hilary and Whitney, after the photo was published in a British tabloid over the weekend.

"We've been talking a lot," Phelps said. "I've been able to get back to my family. It's part of my life I need back."

When asked if he is a regular marijuana smoker, Phelps said he was not.

"This was stupid, and I know this won't happen again," he said. "It's obviously bad judgment and it's something I'm not proud of at all. I will say that with the mistakes that I've made in my life, I've learned from them. Every one of them. And I've become a better person. That's what I plan to do from here. It's definitely not what I wanted, and it's clearly not what my mom wanted."

It's been an intense week for Phelps, who won eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. A majority of his sponsors have vowed to stick with him despite the controversy, and today FINA, swimming's governing body, praised his apology. But the scrutiny of Phelps' already public life has become that much more prominent.

South Carolina Sheriff Leon Lott told reporters he will press charges against Phelps if he can prove the swimmer actually smoked marijuana in Richland County, where the party allegedly occurred. The pursuit of Phelps' first public comments has been fierce.

"I've been waking up to guys yelling into megaphones outside my window at 7 o'clock in the morning," Phelps said. "I've been through just about everything you can go through. I've had paparazzi people following me from my house to my mom's house. People knocking on the door. It's crazy."

Returning to the pool, and training every day, has brought a certain calm back to his life, Phelps said. He spent this afternoon swimming laps with a kickboard, working on his butterfly, doing dry-land training with a medicine ball, and joking around with Bowman and fellow Olympian Katie Hoff.

"It makes me happy," Phelps said. "It's a part of me I've always had, and I always been happy doing it. I like getting up in the morning and having something to do. On Monday we get back to two-a-day [practices] and I'm looking forward to that. I feel more comfortable here. This is my home."

Phelps, who started a foundation to help teach kids how to swim after the Olympics, acknowledged that he does feel like he's let some people down, especially younger fans who look up to him.

"I think this is like the DUI, in that it's something I can talk more about and make sure that nobody makes the same mistakes I made," Phelps said. "What I've gone through in the last week, no one wants to go through."

While he doesn't condone Phelps' actions, Bowman said everyone makes mistakes.

"Nobody's perfect," Bowman said. "It's not acceptable, and this is not to excuse it. He definitely, from this point forward, has to decide what he wants to do. But for Michael to go through our trials, our training camp, and then the Olympics, which is unbelievably stressful, without any down time, that's hard. Still, it's not an excuse."

Phelps said, if anything, this has reminded him that he's going to be watched, photographed, talked about, and whispered about every time he walks into a room. He said he does employ drivers and he does have bodyguards that travel with him to places. That is part of the trade-off his life requires.

"There are always people you can't trust," he said. "During the whole thing, I've really been able to see who my friends are, who my family are, and who really loves and supports me. They've stood by my side, from the countless text messages, phone messages, e-mails, those are your friends. All those people who are around during the good times? Those aren't your friends."

whottt
02-05-2009, 04:17 AM
"There are always people you can't trust," he said. "During the whole thing, I've really been able to see who my friends are, who my family are, and who really loves and supports me. They've stood by my side, from the countless text messages, phone messages, e-mails, those are your friends. All those people who are around during the good times? Those aren't your friends."

Translation: That ahole who took that picture and got me busted is on my shitlist.

Seriously though...the way he's hitting that bong, that's no amateur there. I call BS that it's a one time thing, then again you have to say that or else you go to jail.

I think he should pull out of the Olympics too...he's already made his history and is a millionaire...he could send a huge message to our controversy hungry country by telling everyone to fuck off and enjoy the 4-7 fewer gold medals without him in 2012, "nice job assholes, now look what you accomplished". The only reason he's probably not coming out with a stronger opinion is, A. Because of that jail thing and B. Because his Mom will probably kick his ass.

florige
02-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Translation: That ahole who took that picture and got me busted is on my shitlist.

Seriously though...the way he's hitting that bong, that's no amateur there. I call BS that it's a one time thing, then again you have to say that or else you go to jail.

I think he should pull out of the Olympics too...he's already made his history and is a millionaire...he could send a huge message to our controversy hungry country by telling everyone to fuck off and enjoy the 4-7 fewer gold medals without him in 2012, "nice job assholes, now look what you accomplished". The only reason he's probably not coming out with a stronger opinion is, A. Because of that jail thing and B. Because his Mom will probably kick his ass.

Really. I'm willing to bet you that it was someone he never would have suspected. Probably someone who is hating on all his fame and attention he is getting from girls everywhere he goes. You'd be amazed what jealousy would push some people to do.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 08:51 AM
You don't have to have years of pot smoking experience to use a damn bong.

johngateswhiteley
02-08-2009, 12:44 AM
another story...blown out of proportion. congrats America...you're stupid.

The Reckoning
02-08-2009, 01:10 AM
if he gets jail time for this, they should arrest every single person who has been mentioned in High Times

mouse
02-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Doesn't Amsterdam have swim team?

Nbadan
02-08-2009, 02:47 AM
I don't know about the rest of you.... but - I have a newfound respect for Phelps...I'd buy his shit now...

baseline bum
02-08-2009, 03:23 AM
I don't know about the rest of you.... but - I have a newfound respect for Phelps...I'd buy his shit now...

I lost it when he apologized and let that bitch who interviewed him on tv get judgmental and call him stupid for smoking. I'm with whottt; Phelps should tell the USOC to fuck off and win their own damn medals if they're going to let him get thrown under the bus for doing something virtually every person in this country does in his own way: get high. I'd love it if he would have looked into the camera and told the nation "See, weed is not for losers, weed does not make you lazy, there's nothing wrong with it you hypocrite fucks!".

PixelPusher
02-08-2009, 09:55 PM
http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/video/clips/really-michael-phelps/999101/

tp2021
02-08-2009, 10:05 PM

another story...blown out of proportion. congrats America...you're stupid.

I lost it when he apologized and let that bitch who interviewed him on tv get judgmental and call him stupid for smoking. I'm with whottt; Phelps should tell the USOC to fuck off and win their own damn medals if they're going to let him get thrown under the bus for doing something virtually every person in this country does in his own way: get high. I'd love it if he would have looked into the camera and told the nation "See, weed is not for losers, weed does not make you lazy, there's nothing wrong with it you hypocrite fucks!".

QFMFT

florige
02-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow, they actually are going to try and pursue this thing further off of pictures.

http://www.cbssports.com/worldsports/story/11370685

S.C. lawyer: Arrests being made in Phelps case
Feb. 12, 2009
CBSSports.com wire reports

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Police in the South Carolina county where Michael Phelps was photographed smoking from a marijuana pipe have been arresting people as they seek to make a case against the superstar swimmer, a lawyer for one arrested person said Thursday.

Attorney Joseph McCulloch said he has a client who was charged with possession of marijuana and questioned about the now-infamous party Phelps attended near the University of South Carolina campus in November. He said his client's roommate also was arrested.

McCulloch did not name his client, who faces up to 30 days in jail and a $200 fine if convicted on the pending charge.

The Richland County Sheriff's Office would not comment on the lawyer's remarks.

"As soon as we're ready to release information on this case we will and we're still in the middle of this investigation," said Lt. Chris Cowan.

After the photo was published Feb. 1, Sheriff Leon Lott said his office would investigate and possibly bring a charge against Phelps, though his spokesman has not specified what the offense might be.

McCulloch said his client and the roommate used to live at the house where the party that Phelps apparently attended took place, but they have since moved out of the city. Richland County deputies searched the alleged party home and then searched the roommates' new home in Irmo and made the arrests, he said.

He said his client was out of town when the swimmer visited the city and said he doubted that anything the client or his roommate -- who has a different lawyer -- told police would assist them in the case against Phelps.

"Our clients answered questions but I don't know that their information would be helpful to law enforcement," he said. "It seems to me that Richland County has a host of its own crime problems much more serious than a kid featured in a photograph with a bong in his hand."

Under South Carolina law, possession of one ounce or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor that carries a fine up to $200 and 30 days in jail for the first offense. Possession of drug paraphernalia is a $500 fine.

Columbia television station WIS-TV was first to report earlier this week that eight arrests had been made, but did not cite a source. McCulloch said college students and lawyers have told him that about eight arrests have been made.

Copyright 2009 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

JudynTX
02-12-2009, 09:47 AM
:hat

Michael Phelps might have a way to get back some of that serious endorsement cash he's losing from that bong smoking scandal -- and all he's gotta do is switch up his smoking device.

Smokey McSpeedo's "extracurricular activities" have perked the interest of a Gurkha Cigars, who just offered Phelps a cool $25,000 to be their official "smokesperson."

In a letter to Phelps, Gurkha said, "We would like to provide you with the opportunity to do what you do best - smoke and swim. And while we can't help you with your swimming skills, we can definitely offer you the best of the best when it comes to the cigar world."

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/10/phelps-offered-25k-to-blaze-it-up/

johngateswhiteley
02-18-2009, 05:05 AM

didn't see it...and i'm glad. what a crock of shit.

baseline bum
02-18-2009, 05:19 AM
Phelps is a national treasure and a lot of the nation is ungrateful as fuck; gotta have someone to point their fucking finger at and say that's the bad guy.

whottt
02-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Phelps is a national treasure and a lot of the nation is ungrateful as fuck; gotta have someone to point their fucking finger at and say that's the bad guy.

Let's organize a boycott of every company that stops sponsoring Phelps as a result of this.

JoeChalupa
02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Phelps will be just fine.

florige
02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Let's organize a boycott of every company that stops sponsoring Phelps as a result of this.

Here in Baltimore one of the radio stations had port-a-potties filled with Kelloggs corn flakes and they were inviting people down to take dumps in them.

baseline bum
02-19-2009, 04:06 AM

I'd boycott Kellog's if there was anything of their's that I ate (the only cereals I like are made by Post and General Mills). What else did he used to endorse, besides Guitar Hero?

Here in Baltimore one of the radio stations had port-a-potties filled with Kelloggs corn flakes and they were inviting people down to take dumps in them.

:lol Nice to see someone is going to bat for the guy.

Spur|n|Austin
02-19-2009, 05:46 AM
smells like someones been hittin the devils lettuce.

whottt
02-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I'd boycott Kellog's if there was anything of their's that I ate (the only cereals I like are made by Post and General Mills). What else did he used to endorse, besides Guitar Hero?

I know he endorses Rosetta Stone but I don't know if they've dropped him or not.

I'll tell you one thing, if Rosetta Stone drops him I won't be dloading any more of their shit with bittorrent. That's for damn sure. :tu

balli
02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I think Subway dropped him, which works out, because I was already tepidly boycotting them anyways.

That's fucking funny about the Kelloggs in Baltimore. I just wrote them an e-mail.

I'll tell you one thing, if Rosetta Stone drops him I won't be dloading any more of their shit with bittorrent. That's for damn sure.
:lol +1

anonymous_fan
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Michael Phelps really dissapointed me.

JoeChalupa
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Rosetta Stone has a course on stoner language?