PDA

View Full Version : St. Pierre Greasing?!?

Soul_Patch
02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Penn's Camp alleges Pierre's trainers used vasoline on his back between rounds to make him more elusive.

I dont see why, consdering St. Pierre destroyed him, but....it could lead to problems for him eh?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/mma_experts/post/Penn-s-camp-alleges-misdeeds-with-Vaseline-by-GS?urn=mma,138061

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
was discussed in another thread. greased between rd 1 and 2. silly BJ would contest it, because a rematch is no favor to BJ.

FreeMason
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
BloodyElbow reports Chuck Liddel was the "fan" that first noticed it.

Stupid cornerman but no big deal imo. Easy for a GSP fan to say though.

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I doubt if BJ wants a rematch...

but it's still BS and shouldn't be going on...Dana has acknowledged that it was happening.

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
according to evan, it only happened between rd 1 and 2. nevertheless, nothing a $200,000 fine won't cure.

desflood
02-02-2009, 11:48 AM
They won't penalize GSP for it, just the guilty cornerman.

ATRAIN
02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Either way GSP was going to destroy Penn.

TheTruth
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Cheating is cheating, and St. Pierre and his crew deserve whatever punishment is thrown at them. He was still kicking BJ's ass though.

Evan
02-02-2009, 12:26 PM
I bet that cornerman gets banned from Nevada for a year. They wiped it off so no big deal.

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Wouldn't the cornerman be part of GSP's crew??

Soul_Patch
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Ahh, yea i figured it would have been discussed, but didnt see it anywhere.

I think its effects were minimal if any at all, and Penn didnt have a chance, BUT...it's still cheating, and in my opinion should negate the results of the fight.

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh Blah Blah, this is all the Penn nuthuggers are crying about on Sherdog. Something for Penn to cling too i guess, as an excuse. Greg Jackson said this,

MMAWeekly.com

The fighters of Greg Jackson's team are no strangers to ritual inside the Octagon. First there's the "Jackson nipple tweak," a bizarre, if amusing, twist of the nipples his fighters often do before fighting, believed to prepare them for intense battle inside the Octagon. Now, there appears to be a new ritual in Jackson's camp, and it's the source of controversy following Georges St. Pierre's rout of B.J. Penn at Saturday's UFC 94.

St. Pierre's cornermen, including Jackson, were at the center of a storm at UFC 94 after officials from the Nevada State Athletic Commission approached them during the fight to investigate allegations that they were applying Vaseline to St. Pierre in between rounds.

Jackson spoke to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday afternoon and said the misunderstanding arose after Phil Nurse, one of St. Pierre's cornermen, executed a ritual taught by a member of St. Pierre's team, a "witch doctor" named Steven Friend.

"So in between rounds, (Friend) had this little drill that you do -- and Phil Nurse is the one who knows how to do it -- he showed Phil, and this is what Georges wanted, so we did that," Jackson said. "But this is why we were doing it. He rubbed your back and tapped your chest; I don't know exactly how it works. But anyways, what that's supposed to do is get your energy in line, or motivated or whatever. So in between rounds, we had Phil Nurse do that."

Jackson said St. Pierre has worked with Friend for years, since the French Canadian began training at Jackson's academy in Albuquerque, N.M. Jackson says Friend has also worked with Matt Hughes and Randy Couture in preparation for their fights. Friend was featured in the sixth season of The Ultimate Fighter as a guest of Hughes.

"The controversy came because Phil Nurse also was putting Vaseline on Georges' eyebrows," Jackson elaborated. "In between rounds, you always want to put on Vaseline on (a fighter's face). So Phil Nurse put all the Vaseline on his face, so his hands might have had a miniscule amount left over from that, when he went around the side and rubbed a little point on his back, and tapped on his chest.

"At that point, somebody in the audience thought we were greasing George down, and ran over and told the commission that we were greasing his body down. The commission came in and said 'you can't grease him down,' which didn't work. They said 'you're putting Vaseline on his back,' and Phil's like, 'oh, there might be a little on my fingers, but it wasn't intentional at all, and of course they wiped it right off and it was gone, so it wasn't a factor in the fight at all."

Indeed, much of the fight played out with St. Pierre on top of Penn, doling out a vicious ground and pound attack. Jackson said after a little explaining, the commission realized what was going on.

"We told our side of the story, we said didn't mean to put any grease anywhere," he said. "If we were trying to grease the back we'd be greasing up and down, we would make it count. We wouldn't do a little tiny spot in the back. The whole thing doesn't make any sense, so they were fine with it once we gave our explanation. It wasn't like we were taking gobs of Vaseline and slathering on his back. They didn't understand the drill that the witch doctor was having us do, and so it looked that way. It didn't effect the fight at all."

At this point, no formal complaint has been filed with the NSAC. The popular trainer chalks the whole incident up to fan paranoia.

"The whole greasing thing is pretty ridiculous," he said. "You can't grease somebody up. You just couldn't do it. They check your body before you get into the cage, there's an inspector right there. In order for us to grease him up, it would be insane. There are cameras everywhere. We don't cheat. We don't need to cheat to win."

Jackson said he wasn't aware if St. Pierre's ritual was related to the infamous "nipple tweak," as the whole business was "out of his domain." As long as it made his fighter feel better, he was all for it.

"If it works, we're going to use it," he said.

Make fun of GSP for his rituals, but hey i am not judging.. :lol

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh Blah Blah, this is all the Penn nuthuggers are crying about on Sherdog. Something for Penn to cling too i guess, as an excuse. Greg Jackson said this,

MMAWeekly.com

The fighters of Greg Jackson's team are no strangers to ritual inside the Octagon. First there's the "Jackson nipple tweak," a bizarre, if amusing, twist of the nipples his fighters often do before fighting, believed to prepare them for intense battle inside the Octagon. Now, there appears to be a new ritual in Jackson's camp, and it's the source of controversy following Georges St. Pierre's rout of B.J. Penn at Saturday's UFC 94.

St. Pierre's cornermen, including Jackson, were at the center of a storm at UFC 94 after officials from the Nevada State Athletic Commission approached them during the fight to investigate allegations that they were applying Vaseline to St. Pierre in between rounds.

Jackson spoke to MMAWeekly.com on Sunday afternoon and said the misunderstanding arose after Phil Nurse, one of St. Pierre's cornermen, executed a ritual taught by a member of St. Pierre's team, a "witch doctor" named Steven Friend.

"So in between rounds, (Friend) had this little drill that you do -- and Phil Nurse is the one who knows how to do it -- he showed Phil, and this is what Georges wanted, so we did that," Jackson said. "But this is why we were doing it. He rubbed your back and tapped your chest; I don't know exactly how it works. But anyways, what that's supposed to do is get your energy in line, or motivated or whatever. So in between rounds, we had Phil Nurse do that."

Jackson said St. Pierre has worked with Friend for years, since the French Canadian began training at Jackson's academy in Albuquerque, N.M. Jackson says Friend has also worked with Matt Hughes and Randy Couture in preparation for their fights. Friend was featured in the sixth season of The Ultimate Fighter as a guest of Hughes.

"The controversy came because Phil Nurse also was putting Vaseline on Georges' eyebrows," Jackson elaborated. "In between rounds, you always want to put on Vaseline on (a fighter's face). So Phil Nurse put all the Vaseline on his face, so his hands might have had a miniscule amount left over from that, when he went around the side and rubbed a little point on his back, and tapped on his chest.

"At that point, somebody in the audience thought we were greasing George down, and ran over and told the commission that we were greasing his body down. The commission came in and said 'you can't grease him down,' which didn't work. They said 'you're putting Vaseline on his back,' and Phil's like, 'oh, there might be a little on my fingers, but it wasn't intentional at all, and of course they wiped it right off and it was gone, so it wasn't a factor in the fight at all."

Indeed, much of the fight played out with St. Pierre on top of Penn, doling out a vicious ground and pound attack. Jackson said after a little explaining, the commission realized what was going on.

"We told our side of the story, we said didn't mean to put any grease anywhere," he said. "If we were trying to grease the back we'd be greasing up and down, we would make it count. We wouldn't do a little tiny spot in the back. The whole thing doesn't make any sense, so they were fine with it once we gave our explanation. It wasn't like we were taking gobs of Vaseline and slathering on his back. They didn't understand the drill that the witch doctor was having us do, and so it looked that way. It didn't effect the fight at all."

At this point, no formal complaint has been filed with the NSAC. The popular trainer chalks the whole incident up to fan paranoia.

"The whole greasing thing is pretty ridiculous," he said. "You can't grease somebody up. You just couldn't do it. They check your body before you get into the cage, there's an inspector right there. In order for us to grease him up, it would be insane. There are cameras everywhere. We don't cheat. We don't need to cheat to win."

Jackson said he wasn't aware if St. Pierre's ritual was related to the infamous "nipple tweak," as the whole business was "out of his domain." As long as it made his fighter feel better, he was all for it.

"If it works, we're going to use it," he said.

Make fun of GSP for his rituals, but hey i am not judging.. :lol

If it makes Penn and his fans feel any better, maybe they should fight again.:rollin

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Ahh, yea i figured it would have been discussed, but didnt see it anywhere.

I think its effects were minimal if any at all, and Penn didnt have a chance, BUT...it's still cheating, and in my opinion should negate the results of the fight.

You don't negate the results of a huge main event fight beceause GSP had a little grease on his back that got wiped off. The ref wasn't even made aware of what was going on. IF this was such a big deal, why didn't they halt the action and take the time to wipe GSP down thourougly?? The Commission was standing there in between RDS 2 and 3 and 3 and 4. Nothing got applied at all there and whatever was, got rubbed off..

Soul_Patch
02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
If you are cheating, it negates the results. Regardless of what the other circumstances are.

Im not saying he was, or that BJ stood a chance either way...just saying.

I don't care for either fighter to be honest.

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
If you are cheating, it negates the results. Regardless of what the other circumstances are.

the point is they weren't cheating. a little vasoline slipped on his back and it was wiped off. BJ fans (not you) are freakin delusional.

BlackSwordsMan
02-02-2009, 04:06 PM
grease on GSP's back = bj penn being dominated 4 rds?

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Question?

What is so different about this than what i have seen in boxing 100 times over when either in the middle of a round or the end of the RD the Ref goes to the corner and says" Too much greese on the face, wipe if off" Then the action resumes.. How many No contests are there, when it's wiped off and the fight resumes? I've never seen that in boxing. Part of this was Dana doing his typical ranting and raving at the press conference about how his "Cornerman should be dealt with" GSP was not found covered head to toe, in Vaseline after the fight was over. If you watch the fight again, maybe a spec got put on for RD 2, it was all wiped off and nothing was applied in RD 3 and 4. This is just stupid if the commission steps in and does something about it. Like anyone wants to pay 45 bucks to watch GSP massacre BJ again..

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Jackson is minimizing quite a bit...

rubbed a "little point" on his back...not so much...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qk8gae.gif

Check the videos here...the commission was all over it after the 1st rd...
http://www.fightlinker.com/gsp-corner-video-from-the-event.mma

Dana and ringside fighter's reaction at 9:30 here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd2PmSss_h4

Mayhem Miller says he experienced the same from GSP...
http://www.fightlinker.com/jason-miller-claims-gsp-greased-against-him-too.mma

Serra and Sherk have said similar things too...

the point is they weren't cheating. a little vasoline slipped on his back and it was wiped off. BJ fans (not you) are freakin delusional.

Slipped??

I'm not caring as a BJ fan because it wouldn't have had a big impact...I like GSP too (and picked him to win). But if there is cheating going on somebody needs to get slapped...

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
grease on GSP's back = bj penn being dominated 4 rds?

If they fight again, it won't even go that long, GSP will get him out of there in less than 3..

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Anybody wanting a rematch because of this is a dumbass...that's not the point...

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Jackson is minimizing quite a bit...

rubbed a "little point" on his back...not so much...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2qk8gae.gif

I taped the fight and watched it all back, looking at these things. Nurse had a little left on his hands, when he went to the back but most of it went on GSP's face. What Jackson says is right, they didn't put it all over his back, like crazy and whatever got on was all that got on, because they were all over it and watching them 2 rd on.. He was clearly wiped down, at the start of the 3rd and 4th..

Soul_Patch
02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I think St. Pierre outclasses Penn, regardless of grease. I just think that if it is against the rules, you have to disregard the results.

Either way, whatever. i dont care enough to argue about it....lol...

BlackSwordsMan
02-02-2009, 04:28 PM
I'd laugh if this fight was over turned and ruled a N/C. That's how a sakuraba fight ended cause akiyama used too much grease

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
..that's not the point...

I didn't say it was.. But it gives Penn the excuse he needs to cry for one..

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 04:35 PM
I really don't expect Penn to use this as an excuse, or to ask for a rematch...it would shock me...

Bottom line: GSP's boy knows what is and what is not accepted in the corner and shouldn't be wiping vaseline on and then going to the back and chest...

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 04:40 PM
And what happens when guys are clinching and the greese gets on the chest from the face?? Do you wipe is all off?? See how ridiculous this all is?? I get that it is a rule, i'm just saying..

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
And what happens when guys are clinching and the greese gets on the chest from the face?? Do you wipe is all off?? See how ridiculous this all is?? I get that it is a rule, i'm just saying..

That's something totally different and irrelevant...obviously...

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
sounds like a penalty is in order. question is severity.

i guess it could range from a 1 year suspension to a slap on the wrist.

To me, a $50k fine seems like it should do the trick.

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
No suspension...just a fine. Something should be done to keep others from doing something similar...

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 04:55 PM
That's something totally different and irrelevant...obviously...

Different yes, Irrelevant depends on what side you fall on with this. If you are talking about just the rules that is one thing and Phil Nurse screwed up, but if we are talking about greese being the main reason GSP pummeled Penn on the ground, like some idiots are doing, then you have to dive further into all the specifics.. GSP wasn't heavily greesed in all the rds, it was clearly wiped off, so i say throw some fines out, maybe a suspension for Nurse, but that's about it.

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Anybody wanting a rematch because of this is a dumbass...that's not the point...

The point is that the rules need to be followed and the cornerman for one of the top fighters in the world knows the rules...

Evan
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't the cornerman be part of GSP's crew??

yeah of course....I bet his license gets revoked.

Oh Blah Blah, this is all the Penn nuthuggers are crying about on Sherdog. Something for Penn to cling too i guess, as an excuse.

Why the hell do you still go to that site?

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Formal complaint coming...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/2/2/745008/b-j-penn-files-complaint-a

but BJ still gives GSP credit for being the better fighter
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/2/2/744728/bj-penn-says-georges-st-pi

TheTruth
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Totally different things.

If his corner knowingly "cheated" then it's a huge deal. In no way do I think it changed the outcome of the fight, but in a sport where being able to grip and get leverage is a huge thing this should never happen.

GSP's corner cheated and should get a pretty stiff penalty. Whoever it is that takes the fall for this should be suspended.

Evan
02-02-2009, 06:14 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/65067/pennongsp_medium.jpg

Evan
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/65079/bjvskenflo_medium.jpg

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
and that's not the fake BJ Penn that was on Facebook using that picture. He's gone. Doesn't mean BJ is hitting the keyboard, but that page is his camp...

BlackSwordsMan
02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
so many people sucking his balls
why is no one complaining that they wasted 50$ to watch him fight and he looked like shit

LEONARD
02-02-2009, 07:35 PM
He was out-gunned...why complain about it?

BlackSwordsMan
02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
he was out gassed

Evan
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
he was out gassed

Out classed in every aspect

Evan
02-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Keith Kizer via mmajunkie.com

While the matter remains unresolved for now, Kizer said the NSAC has already dealt with the matter as best it can up this point.

"We wiped [St. Pierre] down very, very hard," Kizer said. "And even after the end of the third round, even though there was no touching of his back with Vaseline, we still wiped him down again after that round, too, just to be safe. You do the best you can to make it back to an even playing field and go from there.

"And I did tell the cornermen that if we ever see this again, that's it for them. I don't know the outcome of this specific incident, but we definitely gave them a warning that if we ever see that happen again that's probably the last time they'd be cornering in Nevada. As far as cornering in the UFC elsewhere, I'll leave that to the owners of the UFC."

Kizer also said it was a shame that such a dominating performance by the UFC's welterweight champion may always have an asterisk beside it in many fans' minds.

"It's just an unfortunate incident," Kizer said. "No fight needs it, especially a fight of this caliber.

"The fans can make their own conclusions on what they felt from their aspect. They saw what I saw for the most part based on some of the .gifs (small video clips) out there showing what happened.

"This may have tainted [St. Pierre's] victory in the eyes of many fans, and it's his cornerman's fault for that. It doesn't take away his victory, but it does take away from his victory in the eyes of many fans, I believe."

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Keith Kizer via mmajunkie.com

While the matter remains unresolved for now, Kizer said the NSAC has already dealt with the matter as best it can up this point.

"We wiped [St. Pierre] down very, very hard," Kizer said. "And even after the end of the third round, even though there was no touching of his back with Vaseline, we still wiped him down again after that round, too, just to be safe. You do the best you can to make it back to an even playing field and go from there.

"And I did tell the cornermen that if we ever see this again, that's it for them. I don't know the outcome of this specific incident, but we definitely gave them a warning that if we ever see that happen again that's probably the last time they'd be cornering in Nevada. As far as cornering in the UFC elsewhere, I'll leave that to the owners of the UFC."

Kizer also said it was a shame that such a dominating performance by the UFC's welterweight champion may always have an asterisk beside it in many fans' minds.

"It's just an unfortunate incident," Kizer said. "No fight needs it, especially a fight of this caliber.

"The fans can make their own conclusions on what they felt from their aspect. They saw what I saw for the most part based on some of the .gifs (small video clips) out there showing what happened.

"This may have tainted [St. Pierre's] victory in the eyes of many fans, and it's his cornerman's fault for that. It doesn't take away his victory, but it does take away from his victory in the eyes of many fans, I believe."

It sounds like they are letting the win stand, (I hope) which is really the only thing i care about. fine and suspend guys if you want but calling it a No Contest would seriously damage GSP's reputation and that would just be unfair to him, given how hard he's worked and how good a guy by all accounts he is..

dallaskd
02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Fedor doesnt use grease.

dbreiden83080
02-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Why the hell do you still go to that site?

I know i know, Bad Dbreiden, Bad!!! :p:

angelbelow
02-04-2009, 01:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8oJPuq2tvU

angelbelow
02-04-2009, 01:15 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2cftg0m.gif

im a huge gsp fan but this was just too funny.

Evan
02-04-2009, 08:05 AM
lol

dbreiden83080
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
IT's a shame the biggest win of his career is being tainted a little with this nonsense. GSP has to be frustrated, i wonder if Greg Jackson is going to get smacked hard for this?? I hope not..

Evan
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
IT's a shame the biggest win of his career is being tainted a little with this nonsense. GSP has to be frustrated, i wonder if Greg Jackson is going to get smacked hard for this?? I hope not..

IMO that trainer needs to be banned for 6 to 12 months. Put a stop to this sh*t right away.

desflood
02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I just love how Matt Hughes has come out now with his statement that GSP felt greasy for their last fight (which, of course, Hughes lost badly) but not their first (which, of course, Hughes won).

That guy was a great champ. It's unfortunate that his mouth is now turning him into one of mma's biggest jokes.

dbreiden83080
02-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I just love how Matt Hughes has come out now with his statement that GSP felt greasy for their last fight (which, of course, Hughes lost badly) but not their first (which, of course, Hughes won).

That guy was a great champ. It's unfortunate that his mouth is now turning him into one of mma's biggest jokes.

Hughes also said "He was bored during the Fitch and GSP fight so he left early", he takes little jabs at GSP now and then, likely because he is now the man at 170, and Hughes is no longer relevant. He needs to beat Serra and retire already..

IMO that trainer needs to be banned for 6 to 12 months. Put a stop to this sh*t right away.

Greg Jackson or Phil Nurse?? If someone gets slapped i would put my money on Nurse, since Jackson has such a great rep. We'll see though, people are still talking about this, so the NSAC may feel compelled to make an example..

2centsworth
02-04-2009, 03:25 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2cftg0m.gif

im a huge gsp fan but this was just too funny.

Fat BJ cracks me up.:lmao:lmao

desflood
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
I have to say it - it would have been better if Matt Hamill had been the one accused.

Evan
02-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Agree, desflood.

db, yes, Phil Nurse.

Evan
02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
And thats pretty sorry of Hughes....either accuse somebody of something when it happens or STFU and don't complain later.

I have always defended Hughes and he is without question a hall of famer but that's simply garbage. I hate it when athletes complain so far after something happened.

Hughes would have come off far better had he simply said, "I have no comment" and not defend GSP.

oligarchy
02-04-2009, 07:47 PM
And thats pretty sorry of Hughes....either accuse somebody of something when it happens or STFU and don't complain later.

I have always defended Hughes and he is without question a hall of famer but that's simply garbage. I hate it when athletes complain so far after something happened.

Hughes would have come off far better had he simply said, "I have no comment" and not defend GSP.

I don't see the problem. Maybe, at the time, he didn't want to draw negative attention to MMA. Since everything was already out in the open, why not add in what you know/witnessed?

Evan
02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I guess I don't see the point..either you do something about it or you don't. Whats the point of waiting if its a problem?

If you don't say anything bad about it when it happens to protect something...why do something at all especially when the problem has reached a attention point that surpasses his fight 100 times over ?

As a huge fan of Hughes....I just don't like this at all.

oligarchy
02-04-2009, 11:42 PM
I guess I don't see the point..either you do something about it or you don't. Whats the point of waiting if its a problem?

If you don't say anything bad about it when it happens to protect something...why do something at all especially when the problem has reached a attention point that surpasses his fight 100 times over ?

As a huge fan of Hughes....I just don't like this at all.

if it was directly after, people might think he's making excuses.

people also find it easier to come forward after someone else speaks up. I know it's a bad analogy, but look at people who come forward about priests after the first person speaks up.

Evan
02-05-2009, 07:44 AM
I certainly see what you're saying, oligarchy. I simply don't agree.

desflood
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
if it was directly after, people might think he's making excuses.
That's pretty much what he's doing now anyway - making an excuse.

tsb2000
02-06-2009, 01:01 AM
BJ's issue is that he's just not an effective fighter at 170. He's unstoppable at 155, though. GSP had him beat; it's too bad all of this is overshadowing what was otherwise a MMA clinic from GSP.

Evan
02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Following a week of controversy after the Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn fight in which Vaseline was applied to the Canadian by one of his cornermen in between rounds, the UFC has instituted new policies regarding cut men and how the corners are allowed to enter during the breaks in between rounds for this weekend's UFC Fight Night 17 show in Tampa, Fla.

According to sources close to the situation, the UFC has now instructed that cornermen associated with the fighters will no longer be allowed to handle the Vaseline used in between rounds to treat and prevent cuts.

The UFC will now provide one cut man for each corner for the fight. Only two people are allowed to enter the Octagon between rounds so if a cut man is necessary to apply Vaseline or work on a cut, one of the other cornermen working with the fighter must exit the cage to allow the cut man to work.

This is all following the controversy surrounding St. Pierre cornerman, Phil Nurse, applying Vaseline to his fighter's face in between rounds and then moving his hands to the Canadian's chest and back to help with a breathing technique at UFC 94. Because his hands may have still had Vaseline left on them, Penn's camp was compelled to file a letter with the Nevada State Athletic Commission asking for an investigation into the matter.

Though there has been no official word from the UFC if this ruling will be instituted in other states or if Florida previously approved the matter, several MMAWeekly.com sources indicated that the new rules regarding Vaseline use have been presented as permanent.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more on this story as it develops.