PDA

View Full Version : **Official** 2009 Houston Texans thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

traitoravery
02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Great Article to start things off.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/PabloDeTejas/182553

This Sunday, Lone Star football fans from El Paso to Texarkana will tune into Super Bowl XLIII. And for the thirteenth straight year, we will watch two teams from other states play in the NFL’s premier event.

This current drought now matches the longest period in Super Bowl history without a Texas entry; the other dry spell being the stretch from 1979-1992.

There is good news, however.

We have an NFL franchise within our borders headed in the right direction. If this organization stays the course, the present downward cycle in Texas professional football could be coming to an end soon.

This is hardly a newsflash. Football fanatics from Amarillo to Brownsville all agree that a Texas team will be playing for a title in the near future. Where I differ from the majority is my prediction of which team will return us to pigskin glory.

Yes, my silver-and-blue-clad brethren, we are backing the wrong horse. In fact, the Dallas Cowboys have never been as far away from the Super Bowl as they are right now.

Even when the Pokes went 1-15 in Jimmy Johnson’s inaugural season, there was a sense of hope. You had a young coach with a vision, a stockpile of draft choices, and two solid ‘team first’ building blocks in Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin.

If you look around Valley Ranch now, you will find a powerless, lame-duck coach and a collection of selfish, gutless, prima donnas. If you wonder how bad it has gotten, ask yourself two questions – Would Tom Landry have allowed his final roster spot to be filled by the winner of a reality television show? Would Drew Pearson have ever agreed to appear on a cable television program to discuss his life with his therapist?

Of course not. Landry would not have let a television crew past the door of his locker room. I’m also willing to wager that Pearson never needed a therapist to help him work through his ‘issues.’

This is not to say the entire Cowboy roster is beyond redemption. Jason Whitten and Marion Barber are solid guys. WR Roy Williams is an incredible talent, providing someone figures out how to use him properly.

As for Tony Romo, the jury is still out. This much is clear though – too much pressure has been placed on his young shoulders. It is too early in his development to anoint him the franchise’s savior.

These are, of course, all just symptoms of the real problem. And the real problem with the Dallas Cowboys begins and ends with the man who signs the checks.

Every Dallas fan must get out of denial and come face-to-face with one incontrovertible truth – the Cowboys will never win a title as long as Jerry Jones is making the football decisions. He seems unable to let go of the notion that playing college football in the early 1960’s qualifies you to be an NFL general manager in 2009.

It is an axiom in professional sports that while championships are won on the field, the foundation for those titles are won in the off-season by the brains in the front office. This has never been truer than in the salary-cap era of the NFL, where all teams are on equal footing. Unlike baseball, where an owner can write a check to overcome a personnel mistake, an error in professional football is magnified and lingers for several years.

If you don’t believe me, just ask Daniel Snyder.

That is why our best hope for a Super Bowl rests with the Houston Texans. Here is a franchise that, after a few missteps, appears to be doing things the right way.

I wonder how many people outside of Harris County know that Bob McNair owns the Texans. My guess is not too many. By way of comparison, there are first-graders in New Hampshire who know Jerry Jones’ name.

McNair began Houston’s journey by putting Charley Casserly in the front office and Dom Capers on the sideline. When this did not produce the desired results, he took a cue from Clint Murchison, Jr., the original owner of the Cowboys, and hired a bright, untested young assistant coach, Gary Kubiak. Next he hired Rick Smith, a bright, relatively unknown personnel man with the Broncos, to serve as General Manager. Then he did what good owners do – he stayed out of the way.

Since his arrival in 2006, Smith has been steadily putting a very talented roster together. He got rid of David Carr and replaced him with the cerebral Matt Schaub. He picked up WR Andre Johnson and drafted RB Steve Slayton, DT Amobi Okoye and LT Duane Brown.

Kubiak’s coaching has improved in each of his three years at the helm. His quiet, yet commanding, approach reminds some of Landry. While that might be an unfair comparison, those of us who were fans of the old Southwest Conference can attest to the football savvy of the former Texas A&M quarterback.

When Jerry Jones conned the taxpayers of Arlington into building his new football temple, he convinced the league to bring the Super Bowl to Dallas in 2011. True to his oversized and grandiose ego, Jones no doubt envisions his hometown Cowboys playing in that game.

I, on the other hand, picture something quite different.

I predict the Houston Texans will make the journey north on I-45 and take on the Atlanta Falcons in Super Bowl XLV. Matt Schaub will lead his new team past his old team, and be named the MVP.

True to form, even though his team won’t be playing, Jones will try to steal the spotlight with a reckless and daring personnel move. At halftime, he will announce that he has signed Michael Vick to quarterback the Cowboys.

Granted, it might be too early in the Smith-Kubiak era to make such bold predictions. However, Houston has shown real signs of taking the next step and becoming a contender. Their cousins in Dallas, on the other hand, are a train wreck waiting to happen. The smart money says the Texans, not the Cowboys, reach the Super Bowl first.

These are two franchises heading in opposite directions

stretch
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
LMAO texans

sook
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
texans are the thunder of the NFL

They are fucking sorry as hell

ClingingMars
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
lol, texans

GO COWBOYS!

-Mars

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Raiders beat them.

ATRAIN
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
That is why our best hope for a Super Bowl rests with the Houston Texans. Here is a franchise that, after a few missteps, appears to be doing things the right way.

Granted, it might be too early in the Smith-Kubiak era to make such bold predictions. However, Houston has shown real signs of taking the next step and becoming a contender. Their cousins in Dallas, on the other hand, are a train wreck waiting to happen. The smart money says the Texans, not the Cowboys, reach the Super Bowl first.

These are two franchises heading in opposite directions

I still feel we are at least 2 or 3 seasons away from that but then again you never know. Look at what the Cards did.

ATRAIN
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Raiders beat them.

Yeah they did congrats

djohn2oo8
02-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Texans will make playoffs next year. Slaton turns out to be better than reggie bush, and mario williams was the better pick over vince. All we need now is another DE to go along with mario, a ballhawking safety, and a power running back.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/83207596.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19303D83A05122D23696B4852EC092534A3 5A5397277B4DC33E

The Cowboys = http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/uploaded_images/APTOPIX-Giants-Cowboy_Corm-715728.JPG

Dr. Gonzo
02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
The most impressive thing about last season was coming back from 0-4 to finish 8-8. They were one Rosencopter away from beign 9-7.

TheProfessor
02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
one Rosencopter away
:lol Nice. There will be no excuses for Kubiak next year if they come out of the gate slow. Playoffs or bust.

BSofA04
02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Cowboys fans should be ashamed at what they've become. Why would they be Super Bowl contenders when the owner is more concerned with lining his pockets than putting a team together? The Texans arn't going to be contending for a Super Bowl next season, but there's no doubt they're going about business the right way and are the better team.

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Its about damn time

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6257344.html

Texans say goodbye to RB Green
LB Greenwood also cut as team clears cap space

By waiving running back Ahman Green and outside linebacker Morlon Greenwood on Tuesday, the Texans saved $8.5 million on the salary cap.

Green (2007) and Greenwood (2005) signed with the Texans as free agents, and both lost their starting jobs last season. Green, 31, would have counted $6.5 million against the cap, but after two injury-plagued seasons, the Texans did what just about everyone expected and released him.

The emergence of rookie Steve Slaton, who rushed for 1,282 yards and had 1,659 from scrimmage, made Green expendable.

“Ahman was a different deal because of the injures,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. “Slaton’s performance helped us make this decision.

“I told Ahman I appreciated what he gave us and that I was sorry it didn’t work out. He wants to keep playing, and I wished him the best.”

Greenwood, 30, would have counted $6.2 million against the cap. Xavier Adibi replaced Greenwood in the starting lineup. He joined the Texans after playing his first five seasons with Miami.

“Morlon’s one of the finest guys I’ve ever coached,” Kubiak said. “He worked his tail off and played well for us.

“He’ll play for somebody, but as I told him, we’re going in a different direction with Adibi.”

Green came to the Texans from Green Bay and signed a four-year contract worth $23 million. He suffered a knee injury in his first game and finished his first season on injured reserve. He suffered groin and knee injuries last season.

In two seasons, Green carried 144 times for 554 yards and five touchdowns. He made $10.5 million.

The Texans saved $4.5 million on Greenwood and $4 million on Green.

While Green and Greenwood will be looking for jobs because they both want to continue their careers, one prominent member of last year’s team — defensive coordinator Richard Smith — is off the job market.

Smith was hired by Carolina to coach linebackers. Smith, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin were fired after the season. Hoke has been hired by the Chicago Bears and Franklin by USC.

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Commentary: Signing Robinson priority for Texans

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6257321.html

If the Texans are unable to re-sign cornerback Dunta Robinson, it will change their philosophy entering the draft.

Rather than pursuing a defensive end who can provide a pass rush opposite Mario Williams with their first-round pick, general manager Rick Smith would have to look for a cornerback to replace Robinson.

Ohio State’s Malcolm Jenkins, the best cornerback in the draft, will be gone before the Texans make a pick. To acquire him would require moving up and sacrificing a valuable draft choice, possibly even a second-round selection.

Although the Indianapolis scouting combine pro days and private workouts remain in the evaluation process, as it stands now, no other cornerback is worth the 15th pick.

That’s why re-signing Robinson is imperative. Robinson, who turns 27 in April, wants to re-sign with the Texans. The Texans want him back.

Robinson and his agent, Jason Chayut, have a figure they believe he’s worth.

The Texans have a figure they believe Robinson is worth.

Smith and Chayut are negotiating on a new deal. Both sides have been tight-lipped about the negotiations.
Big guarantee in offing

Robinson’s contract expires Feb. 27. He’ll be a free agent available to the highest bidder, including the Texans, of course.

The Texans had plenty of salary cap room to sign Robinson before they saved $8.5 million Tuesday when they waived running back Ahman Green and outside linebacker Morlon Greenwood.

It doesn’t take a genius to get an idea of what Robinson wants.

He views himself as an elite cornerback, one who overcame career-threatening injuries last season when the Texans were 1-4 without him and 7-4 with him, including 5-1 down the stretch. And he played at only 80 percent because of the operations on his knee and hamstring.

Benchmarks for Robinson are extensions signed during the season by Carolina’s Chris Gamble and the New York Giants’ Corey Webster. Gamble’s six-year, $53 million extension included $23 million in guaranteed money. Webster’s five-year, $43.5 million extension included $20 million in guarantees.

It stands to reason that Robinson wants guaranteed money in the $20 million to $23 million range.

The only player to receive that kind of guaranteed money from the Texans was Williams.

As the first pick in the 2006 draft, the defensive end signed a six-year, $54 million contract, including $26.5 million guaranteed.

Usually, negotiations heat up after the combine, which ends Feb. 24. Watch a lot of teams work around the clock that week to re-sign their players before they hit the open market.
Cornerbacks coveted

Here’s something both sides have to consider. Feb. 19 is the last day a player can be tagged with the franchise designation. That’s the day after the combine begins.

If Smith isn’t close enough by Feb. 19 to believe he can get a deal done before Robinson’s contract expires, he can franchise Robinson.

The franchise tag for cornerbacks is $9.957 million. To show you how valuable cornerbacks are, their franchise tag is second to quarterbacks ($14.651 million).

Think about that.

Cornerbacks are valued higher than receivers, pass rushers, offensive tackles and running backs.

That’s why coaches say they can never have enough good corners.

If the Texans slap the franchise tag on Robinson, it would buy them more time to negotiate a long-term deal. Robinson wouldn’t be happy with it because he’ll want guaranteed money more than twice that amount.
Signing a mutual goal

If you’re a Texans fan, keep your fingers crossed. If you’re Robinson, keep the pen handy.

When both sides want to get a deal done and both are willing to compromise to get what they want, it usually ends up as a win-win situation.

leemajors
02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
might wanna start extension talks with jacque too. he was integral.

Dr. Gonzo
02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
I think they get the deal with Dunta done but I feel he will be a bit over paid. He played well after coming back but he doesn't seem to have the same speed and explosion after the injury. I like him and want him back but not for "elite" corner money.

Harry Callahan
02-11-2009, 05:00 PM
The post starter is a chump and has a massive inferiority complex about the Cowboys. There's a lot of that in Houston. Why don't you post an article about the Texans and leave it at that.

I see as many Dallas fans as I do Texan fans when I visit Houston. No one cares about the Texans except for their little fan base. If taking shots at the Cowboys makes you feel better, than you need to grow up.

Harry Callahan
02-11-2009, 05:06 PM
BTW,
What has Matt Schaub done? Romo has 62 TDs / 27 INT in his 2.5 years of starting. Schaub gets outplayed by Rosenfelds at times.

This article is penned by another dumb ass hater. There's a lot of them right now.

ATRAIN
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
The post starter is a chump and has a massive inferiority complex about the Cowboys. There's a lot of that in Houston. Why don't you post an article about the Texans and leave it at that.

I see as many Dallas fans as I do Texan fans when I visit Houston. No one cares about the Texans except for their little fan base. If taking shots at the Cowboys makes you feel better, than you need to grow up.

ok you said your peace now gtfo

possessed
02-11-2009, 07:53 PM
A few questions for Texans fans...

Who was your team 8 years ago?

Do you find it easy to switch loyalties with regards to sports teams?

That is all for now.

djohn2oo8
02-11-2009, 08:24 PM
BTW,
What has Matt Schaub done? Romo has 62 TDs / 27 INT in his 2.5 years of starting. Schaub gets outplayed by Rosenfelds at times.

This article is penned by another dumb ass hater. There's a lot of them right now.

Yet as many playoff wins as the Texans - 0

I hated when they drafted Mario over reggie and vince, so at least they have a clue to what they are doing. David Carr set this team back so much when he played here, and he says the texans ruined his career when he was garbage all along. If rosenfels wouldn't have decided to fly through the air and get flipped three ways to sunday, colts would have lost that game. Oh well, the hurricane did set them back as well, but life goes on.

BSofA04
02-11-2009, 09:27 PM

That is all for now.
Anyone who played the Titans.

traitoravery
02-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Whoa buddy sounds like this article struck a nerve. Sorry man

I might have a complex for the Cowboys but that is only because I root for the underdog. It sucks to see Teams like the Lakers and Cowboys get so much attention while teams doing things the right way get overlooked year in and year out. Its great to see people are finally figuring that out. I think seeing shit backfire in Jerry's face is the greatest thing to happen to the Cowboys.

traitoravery
02-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Anyone who played the Titans.

Oilers and any team playing the Cowboys so fuck off

Dr. Gonzo
02-11-2009, 11:44 PM

That is all for now.

I was an Oilers fan for as long as I can remember. After they left I didn't have a team. I just watched as a casual fan but didn't root for any team. When the Texans came around I became a Texans fan. I don't switch teams in any sport. No matter how much they suck. I'm and Aggie and Astros fan too. And I always will be.

ATRAIN
02-12-2009, 08:05 AM
I was an Oilers fan for as long as I can remember. After they left I didn't have a team. I just watched as a casual fan but didn't root for any team. When the Texans came around I became a Texans fan. I don't switch teams in any sport. No matter how much they suck. I'm and Aggie and Astros fan too. And I always will be.

Same here, when the Oilers left I didnt have a team (I didnt root for the Titans, but I had friends that did. I cheered for the bucs because I liked John Lynch and I have some buddies that are bucs fans, but I was never a "fan". I have been a loyal Astros fan and Longhorn fan since I was a kid.

BSofA04
02-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Oilers and any team playing the Cowboys so fuck off
heh? Oilers wern't around 8 years ago.

Fuck the Titans and that SOB Bud Adams.

ATRAIN
02-19-2009, 03:22 PM
HOUSTON (AP) -The Texans plan to put the franchise tag on cornerback Dunta Robinson, the first time Houston has used the designation.

A person familiar with the decision confirmed the move to The Associated Press on Thursday. The person requested anonymity because the team had not made an official announcement.

The move gives Robinson a salary for 2009 at the average of the NFL's five highest-paid cornerbacks. Other teams can still make an offer to Robinson, but the Texans could match it or receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

Robinson, the 10th player taken in the 2004 draft, started each game in his first three seasons and developed into one of the top young cornerbacks in the league. Injuries have slowed him the past couple seasons.

Dr. Gonzo
02-19-2009, 03:33 PM
It's official.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5150

The Texans placed the franchise player designation on unrestricted free agent cornerback Dunta Robinsonhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5150#), the team announced Thursday. Robinson is the first player in team history on whom the Texans have used the franchise tag.

The team placed the 2009 franchise player designation for right of first refusal/draft choice compensation. The franchise tag guarantees a player, upon signing the franchise tender offer, a one-year salary equal to the average of the five highest-paid players at his position in the NFL or 120 percent of his prior year’s salary, whichever is greater. For a cornerback, that average is $9.957 million in 2009.

“Dunta is an important part of our team and organization,” general manager Rick Smithhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5150#) said. “We worked extremely hard to try to get a long-term contract done with him; however, we were unable to reach an agreement. We hope to reach a long-term deal that ensures that Dunta will remain a Houston Texan for years to come.”

A player designated with the non-exclusive franchise tag has until the Tuesday following Week 10 of the regular season (Nov. 17, 2009) to sign an offer sheet from another club. If a franchised player signs with a new team, his former club will receive two first-round draft choices as compensation.

Robinson (5-10, 182) is the franchise’s all-time leader in interceptions with 13 in his five-year career. He tied for second on the team in 2008 with two interceptions despite missing the first five games of the season while recovering from a severe knee injury suffered late in the 2007 season.
The Texans' defense saw marked improvement after Robinson returned to the starting lineup for the final six games, allowing 11 fewer points per game than in the first 10 games. Houston went 5-1 in games that Robinson started last season.

"We’re happy we get to keep him in the fold for another year," defensive coordinator Frank Bushhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5150#) said. "We know what type of player he is. We like the way he plays football. We think he’s going to really help this team, help this defense, so we’re excited to get him back."

The 10th overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft out of South Carolina, Robinson has played in 68 games with 63 starts in five seasons. In addition to his franchise-record 13 interceptions, he ranks fourth in team history with 277 career solo tackles, and his 331 total tackles ranks fifth.

Bush said that the hard-hitting Robinson, an emotional leader within the Texans locker room, epitomizes the attacking style that he expects to see out of his defense next season.

"That’s what he brings," Bush said. "He brings passion. He’s a guy that’s accountable. He’s tough. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and has a burning desire to win. You want him to be around; you want him to affect the rest of the players with that type of attitude. You want that type of attitude to permeate throughout your defense. We’re excited as hell to get him back."

ATRAIN
02-19-2009, 03:36 PM
So what do you think Steven for the first round pick? DE or LB?

Dr. Gonzo
02-19-2009, 05:16 PM
So what do you think Steven for the first round pick? DE or LB?

Without a doubt it has to be a DE. The LB crew isn't bad. Zack Diles was playing well before he broke his leg and Xavier Adibi played well for a rookie and has tons of promise. Plus we still got DeMeco who is going to be a perennial All-Pro for many years. He played pretty well last year considering he was hurt the whole year. When he's healthy he's one of the best in the league.

The D-line desperately needs a pass rusher opposite Mario.

IronMexican
02-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Micheal Johnson would be awesome for you guys. Or maybe Orakpo can fall a little and Ya'll trade up.

BSofA04
02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Micheal Johnson would be awesome for you guys. Or maybe Orakpo can fall a little and Ya'll trade up.
I like Michael Johnson, but in the second round. He has such a negative rap for taking plays off. If anyone falls to us, hopefully Everette Brown does. That guy can play!

About Dunta, it sucks we couldn't get a long term deal done but if he proves to play a Pro Bowl level, the guy will get his money one way or another. Hopefully it's from Bob McNair.

IronMexican
02-19-2009, 11:02 PM
No way Johnson falls to the second. Raiders better draft him if he does.

Jmoney
02-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm really interested to see Amobi Okoye's growth this year. He's fixing to turn 21. This will be the season that I think we will really see this kid shine. It's hard to comprehend that at 19 he was taken in the draft and he was already huge. Now that he's hitting the 21 mark he is really gonna start to mature. I'm with that the Texans are closer than the cowboys. However the O-Line needs to be seriously retooled. It's still horrible.

Dr. Gonzo
02-20-2009, 01:51 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5148

Last year did not go according to plan for Amobi Okoyehttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5148#). After recording 32 tackles and 5.5 sacks in his rookie season, the defensive tackle suffered a high ankle sprain and finished with just 24 tackles and one sack in 2008.
“I started out the season just OK, but as soon things stared getting right for me was when the injury occurred,” Okoye said. “I came back earlier than most expected because the team needed me to come back and I toughed it out for the season. Toward the end of the season, I was happier with my play. Overall, I think the 2008 season wasn’t the season I wanted statistically, but play-wise, I think I took a step forward.”

Okoye, the Texans’ 10th overall draft pick in 2007, would like to make a giant leap forward next season. A month off has allowed his ankle to heal, and since he returned from the Pro Bowl, he has been hitting the gym with newfound motivation.

“I took January all the way until the Pro Bowl off,” Okoye said. “I went to the Pro Bowl with Mario (Williams)http://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5148#), and obviously with that, there is a lot of motivation to go on your own.
“Last year, coming off my rookie year, I didn’t want to do something unless I was forced to do it. So last year, I didn’t do anything until April. I’m taking a different approach this year. Like I said, I went to the Pro Bowl and it motivated me seeing the guys there knowing that I could be there also. So after the Pro Bowl was over, I came back and started working out.”
Okoye has been focusing on improving his conditioning and increasing his core strength and is working his way toward heavy press lifting sessions. On Tuesday, he met with new defensive line coach Bill Kollarhttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5148#) to review his offseason program.
Kollar is regarded by many in the league as a hard-nosed coach who gets the most out of his players, and Okoye thinks Kollar can help get him to the next level, especially when it comes to technique.
“I watched the work he (Kollar) did with the D-line in Buffalo,” Okoye said. “I like the way they came off the ball. I liked the way they got after it. I am looking forward to working with him. I think he’ll be a great addition to the team.”
Okoye plans to ramp up his workouts until mid-March, when he leaves for a community-building trip in is native Nigeria. InVictus91 Sports Marketing group and the Amobi Okoye Foundation are sponsoring a second mission to the country entitled, "Athletes in the Diaspora:Community Interventions (ADCI)."
“This program is dear to my heart,” Okoye said. “We have five parts of this program, which include scholarship programs and health care programs. We are starting in Nigeria, but we are planning to expand to different countries.”
This year, Okoye will be joined by his teammate linebacker Xavier Adibihttp://assets.houstontexans.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?STORY_ID=5148#), as well as Chicago’s Tommie Harris, Israel Idonije and Adewale Ogunleye, the New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora and Oakland’s Nnamdi Asomugha.
“The program is getting bigger and bigger,” Okoyw said. “When I meet athletes, a lot them say that they want to go back to Africa, and our program is one way they can do that and give back.”

djohn2oo8
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Cowboy fans = http://regehr.com/warren/warren_in_truck_2.jpg

traitoravery
02-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Derrick Ward listed Houston as a possible Team he wants to go to.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m2d19-Giants-Ward-says-Texans-are-a-possible-destination

ATRAIN
02-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Derrick Ward listed Houston as a possible Team he wants to go to.

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m2d19-Giants-Ward-says-Texans-are-a-possible-destination

That would be a nice compliment to Slaton.

traitoravery
02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Him or Fred Taylor but I am tired of the old washed backs the Texans bring in. Gimme some Derrick ward :hungry:

traitoravery
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Texans trading Rosenfails to the Vikings for a fourth rounder.... meh I wish we could get a little bit more for him...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3928630&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

stretch
02-23-2009, 03:57 PM
LMAO texans

IronMexican
02-23-2009, 04:09 PM
traitoravery, you say no washed up backs, but mention Fred Taylor. I personally think he is done. I hope not, since he is one of my favorite players. But I personally think he is done.

Dr. Gonzo
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Texans trading Rosenfails to the Vikings for a fourth rounder.... meh I wish we could get a little bit more for him...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3928630&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

I think a 4th is decent but it makes me wonder who will backup Schaub now. Brink wasn't all that great in the preseason last year and I can't remember who else is on the roster as a QB.

djohn2oo8
02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
LMAO texans

ROFLMAO Cowboys

stretch
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
ROFLMAO Cowboys

LMAO 5>0

however, I'm actually a raiders fan, therefore...

LMAO 3>0

traitoravery
02-23-2009, 08:07 PM
LMAO 5>0

however, I'm actually a raiders fan, therefore...

LMAO 3>0
Actually you're a douchebag...

stretch
02-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Actually you're a douchebag...

LMAO texans

ATRAIN
02-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I think a 4th is decent but it makes me wonder who will backup Schaub now. Brink wasn't all that great in the preseason last year and I can't remember who else is on the roster as a QB.

Yeah I think they are prob going to draft someone. Either that or try to get a free agent.

djohn2oo8
02-24-2009, 09:48 AM
probably pat white, to run some wildcat offense with slaton

Dr. Gonzo
02-24-2009, 09:55 AM
probably pat white, to run some wildcat offense with slaton

He would be a good pickup. Hopefully he falls to round 3. Before the trade I thought there would be a greater need for a DB in the second round but now I think backup QB is a great need.

ATRAIN
02-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I wonder if the 4th rounder was obtained for draft day trading?

Dr. Gonzo
02-24-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking it was probably picked up just in case the league takes away a 4th rounder for the mini camp shit that those faggy players bitched about.

IronMexican
02-24-2009, 12:33 PM
He would be a good pickup. Hopefully he falls to round 3. Before the trade I thought there would be a greater need for a DB in the second round but now I think backup QB is a great need.

Pat White in the 3rd? He is a 4th round prospect at best.

Dr. Gonzo
02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
I've ready some articles about his stock going up after the combine. They could be bullshit though.

ATRAIN
02-26-2009, 08:23 AM
The Texans are coming and going through a revolving door as NFL teams approach the start of free agency Friday.

On Wednesday, the Texans reached an agreement on a three-year contract with starting free safety Eugene Wilson and released defensive end Anthony Weaver, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and safety Will Demps.

Quarterback Sage Rosenfels is going to be traded to Minnesota for a fourth-round draft choice Friday.

By releasing Weaver, Salaam and Demps, the Texans saved $3.995 million against the salary cap.
Help wanted

The Texans are looking for a left defensive end in free agency or the draft to replace Weaver, who started the last three seasons after playing his first four seasons at Baltimore.

“I’m saddened because I built a lot of good relationships in Houston and made a lot of friends,” Weaver said. “I’m disappointed because I didn’t get to finish what we started, and that was to make the playoffs.

“I have no animosity, zero hard feelings. It was a blessing to be here. We just had a difference of opinion. I wanted to be here, and they wanted to go in a different direction.”

Weaver could end up with the New York Jets or Denver Broncos. His defensive coordinator in Baltimore was Mike Nolan, the Broncos’ new defensive coordinator. Weaver’s defensive line coach at Baltimore was Rex Ryan, the Jets’ new head coach.

“It’s too early to say right now,” Weaver said. “This just became official. I do think I’ll play somewhere, but I just don’t know where.”

Like Weaver, Salaam signed with the Texans as a free agent in 2006. He was scheduled to back up rookie Charles Spencer, but Spencer suffered a season-ending injury and Salaam replaced him for 14 games. He started every game in 2007.

Last season, Salaam received a lot of playing time as a backup to rookie Duane Brown.

“It’s a business, and I can’t control it,” Salaam said. “It’s something that happens. I’m sorry I didn’t reach my goal of helping the Texans make the playoffs.”
Opportunity for Butler

Rashad Butler, who has been with the Texans the last two seasons, will have to step into Salaam’s role as the swing tackle behind Brown and Eric Winston.

“Gary (Kubiak) told me they want to see how he (Butler) develops,” Salaam said. “I didn’t know I was getting in the way of his development. I believe I’m still capable of playing and playing at a very high level when I get another chance. Right now, I don’t know where that chance will be.”

Demps played two seasons with the Texans. When Wilson and Nick Ferguson were inserted as starters last season, Demps was demoted and didn’t resurface. The Texans expect to re-sign Ferguson as a backup to Wilson and second-year strong safety Dominique Barber.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6281724.html

ATRAIN
02-26-2009, 08:25 AM
Im gladed we re-signed Wilson and tagged Dunta. Those were the top two that I didnt want to leave so now till tomm and see who we sign. I know he is old and doesnt really fit our scheme but I would like to see Derrick Brooks over here, what do you guys think?

Dr. Gonzo
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
After the Rosevelt Colvin disaster I don't want to see any more old LBs get signed. Although Brooks would be a good veteran to look to for leadership on the young D.

I also heard rumblings that DeMeco is unhappy with his contract. He is scheduled to make 900k this season but I think he should mellow out. He was a second rounder, of course his pay isn't going to be great. I'm sure Rick Smith is going to offer him an extension this season. I hope they lock him up for 6 years.

Dr. Gonzo
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/daniels-gets-highest-possible-tender/

D (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/02/26/daniels-gets-highest-possible-tender/)ANIELS GETS HIGHEST POSSIBLE TENDER

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2009, 11:45 a.m. EST
The Houston Texans have a very good tight end. And they know it.
So, with Owen Daniels ready to become a restricted free agent, the Texans has tendered to him a one-year contract that will require the highest possible compensation, if he receives an offer elsewhere that the Texans choose not to match.
According to Adam Caplan of Scout.com, the Texans issued a one-year, $2.792 million contract offer (http://profootball.scout.com/2/842524.html) to Daniels.
If Daniels switches teams, the new team will have to give the Texans a first-round pick and a third-round pick in the 2009 draft.

Dr. Gonzo
02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm sure that's just a temporary offer until they bang out a long term deal. That's great news. Daniels is quickly becoming one of the elite TEs in the game.

ATRAIN
02-26-2009, 12:28 PM
After the Rosevelt Colvin disaster I don't want to see any more old LBs get signed. Although Brooks would be a good veteran to look to for leadership on the young D.

I also heard rumblings that DeMeco is unhappy with his contract. He is scheduled to make 900k this season but I think he should mellow out. He was a second rounder, of course his pay isn't going to be great. I'm sure Rick Smith is going to offer him an extension this season. I hope they lock him up for 6 years.

Yeah I was reading up on that, I think he will get a contract ext once free agency dies down a bit and before the draft. He will get his money but there were those talking about his numbers going down after his rookie season.

Well we need a good pass rushing OLB and I think we are going to address that in the draft. Im pretty sure we are going to get DE Antonio Smith and possibly another RB (I wouldnt mind Ward) to help Slaton.

Dr. Gonzo
02-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah I was reading up on that, I think he will get a contract ext once free agency dies down a bit and before the draft. He will get his money but there were those talking about his numbers going down after his rookie season.

Well we need a good pass rushing OLB and I think we are going to address that in the draft. Im pretty sure we are going to get DE Antonio Smith and possibly another RB (I wouldnt mind Ward) to help Slaton.

I think a big reason that DeMeco's numbers were down this past season was because he was playing injured most of the season (ankle if I recall correctly). He is a very good linebacker and deserves to get paid, which I'm sure he will.

I think Antoino Smith will be alright. IMO he got off his ass towards the end of last season and during the playoffs to get a fat contract. If they do go after him I'm just hoping they don't overpay. Casserly overpaid for many free agents and it really hurt the cap situation for too many years. I would hate to see that happen again.

ATRAIN
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
I think a big reason that DeMeco's numbers were down this past season was because he was playing injured most of the season (ankle if I recall correctly). He is a very good linebacker and deserves to get paid, which I'm sure he will.

I think Antoino Smith will be alright. IMO he got off his ass towards the end of last season and during the playoffs to get a fat contract. If they do go after him I'm just hoping they don't overpay. Casserly overpaid for many free agents and it really hurt the cap situation for too many years. I would hate to see that happen again.

Yeah im sure D Ryans will get his pay day and yes he desearves it. Yeah I remember reading that he played hurt most of the season so hopefully he will get his fat contract before camp starts. I am glad we franchised Dunta cause if he doesnt produce this year he might be gone. As much as I like him, he hasnt been the same since his injury. Yeah Smith really stepped up and i just hope he keeps that up if we get him. One thing I think we need is another DT. I dont think the guys we have right now (other than Amobi of course) are going to cut it. Okam needs to step it up and i pretty much have given up on T. Johnson. As much as I hate Hayneswoth it would be fucking hilarious if we signed him (which I know we wont because he will too damn expensive.)

Dr. Gonzo
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Johnson is ok but by no means is he the run stuffer that is needed. Okam is just weak. He got pushed around way too much, but he was drafted as a project and hopefully Kollar can coach him up and get something positive out of him.

I really liked what I saw from DelJuan Robinson. He played better at the end of the season than at the beginning. I think he will be a nice DT.

dws009
02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Read on Fannation that the Texans are looking at Chris Simms as a backup. Thoughts on this? Any other suggestions for a b/u QB?

ATRAIN
02-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Read on Fannation that the Texans are looking at Chris Simms as a backup. Thoughts on this? Any other suggestions for a b/u QB?

I think he would be a decent backup and the mfer played with a ruptured spleen. He has my respect.

djohn2oo8
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
I heard they were lookin at darren sharper to play safety, I hope they get him

Article highlights what they plan to do in free agency

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6283856.html

ATRAIN
02-27-2009, 09:20 AM
I dont see us grabbing Sharper.

Dr. Gonzo
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM

I really doubt the Titans let him go. He's the future QB of the team once Collins is gone. I see a run at Brian Griece. He's a former Bronco that Kubiak knows and he will be a cheap "veteran" QB.

Dr. Gonzo
02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Looks like I was wrong. They are going with another ex-Bronco.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=116

The Texans are expected to sign free agent Patrick Ramsey to replace Sage Rosenfels as Matt Schaub's backup.
This is a severe downgrade. Ramsey knows Gary Kubiak's offense after his stay in Denver, but the former first-round pick had elbow problems in 2008 and has never been a good player. Alex Brink couldn't be that much worse.

Dr. Gonzo
02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
That is a terrible move. Patrick Ramsey sucks balls. I'd rather them have Jacque Reeves playing backup QB.

Dr. Gonzo
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Granted he does know Kubiak's system and there won't be much of a learning curve but come on, Patrick Ramsey?

ATRAIN
02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Granted he does know Kubiak's system and there won't be much of a learning curve but come on, Patrick Ramsey?

Well lets just hope Matty doesnt get hurt.

Dr. Gonzo
02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Well lets just hope Matty doesnt get hurt.

I'm going to light a Virgin Mary candle at the start of preseason.

ATRAIN
02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm going to light a Virgin Mary candle at the start of preseason.

Fuckin A man ill be there right with you. Maybe we can talk Matty into letting us rub the egg on him to remove the ojo.

traitoravery
02-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Patrick Ramsey?:vomit: I would rather have Grossman over Ramsey.

BSofA04
02-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Ramsey sucks ass. Not too happy he's Schaub's backup but with Fat Albert out of the AFC South, things should get easier..well at least for two games. Wish we would've considered Orvlasky. Just sayin'....

Dr. Gonzo
02-28-2009, 07:50 PM
Ramsey sucks ass. Not too happy he's Schaub's backup but with Fat Albert out of the AFC South, things should get easier..well at least for two games. Wish we would've considered Orvlasky. Just sayin'....

Looks like Orlovsky is still an option.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6286086.html

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Orlovsky is the guy. At least it's not Ramsey.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6288399.html
Texans sign ex-Lion Orlovsky as backup quarterback
By JOHN McCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
March 1, 2009, 1:57PM

The Texans have signed former Detroit quarterback Dan Orlovsky to replace Sage Rosenfels, who was traded to the Vikings for a fourth round draft choice.
Orlovsky started seven games for winless Detroit last season.
He was the second free agent quarterback brought in by the Texans. Patrick Ramsey was the first.

Dr. Gonzo
03-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I don't really care much for this move. At least he is a young QB with a good arm. Hopefully he won't be in any situations from their own 1 yard line so he doesn't run out of the end zone. I heard it's a three year deal for 9mil with 2mil guaranteed. Seems like a bit much for a backup but at least it's not Patrick Ramsey.

BSofA04
03-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Orlovsky is the guy. At least it's not Ramsey.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6288399.html
Texans sign ex-Lion Orlovsky as backup quarterback
By JOHN McCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
March 1, 2009, 1:57PM

The Texans have signed former Detroit quarterback Dan Orlovsky to replace Sage Rosenfels, who was traded to the Vikings for a fourth round draft choice.
Orlovsky started seven games for winless Detroit last season.
He was the second free agent quarterback brought in by the Texans. Patrick Ramsey was the first.
Well, it could've been worse. At least Orlovsky is young and mobile.

djohn2oo8
03-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Texans are bringing in Cedric Benson for a visit
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6288717.html

Dr. Gonzo
03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6295105.html (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6295105.html)

The Texans are bringing in Dallas Cowboys linebacker Kevin Burnett for a visit today.
Burnett, 26, is an unrestricted free agent who has been a reserve linebacker in the Cowboys' 3-4 during his four-year career. A second-round pick from the University of Tennessee in 2005, Burnett played outside linebacker his first two years and inside linebacker his last two seasons. He had four starts the last two seasons and posted a career-best two sacks last season.

Dr. Gonzo
03-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy? I've never heard of him.

mardigan
03-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Anyone know anything about this guy? I've never heard of him.

SHit, this is the guy I thought they might go after. Came in on pretty much every passing down. Had problems staying on the field early in his career because of injury and depth. But he is big (6-2, 240), really fast, still young, and was by-far the Boys best coverage linebacker, and it wasn't even close. If he stays healthy, he will be a great pickup for whoever gets him.

Dr. Gonzo
03-05-2009, 12:19 PM
He visited Oakland and San Diego before going to Houston today. I think here is a legit shot of him getting signed. The Texans need depth at LB. I'm just curious about his transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

Is he a MLB or OLB?

mardigan
03-05-2009, 12:27 PM
He visited Oakland and San Diego before going to Houston today. I think here is a legit shot of him getting signed. The Texans need depth at LB. I'm just curious about his transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3.

Is he a MLB or OLB?

He played mlb in the 3-4 for the Boys, and was pretty much their main cover guy on passing downs. He would pretty much be the only linebacker they had all year who didn't blow coverages, always seemed to be in the right spot. I wouldn't worry about him making a transition either, as the only time he really played was when the Boys would use 4 man fronts in their passing defense. He can play either outside spot with his size and speed, so imo, if they did get him, he would probably be their starting strong side lb, just because he can cover, get off of blocks, and is fast enough to make plays in the backfield.

Dr. Gonzo
03-05-2009, 12:33 PM
He played mlb in the 3-4 for the Boys, and was pretty much their main cover guy on passing downs. He would pretty much be the only linebacker they had all year who didn't blow coverages, always seemed to be in the right spot. I wouldn't worry about him making a transition either, as the only time he really played was when the Boys would use 4 man fronts in their passing defense. He can play either outside spot with his size and speed, so imo, if they did get him, he would probably be their starting strong side lb, just because he can cover, get off of blocks, and is fast enough to make plays in the backfield.

Sounds like what the wanted Morlon Greenwood to be. He sounds like a solid guy. It could be good if he comes at a good price.

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4008922

The Houston Texans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou) reached a three-year contract agreement with Detroit Lions (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=det) defensive tackle Shaun Cody (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8451) that should be finalized Tuesday, according to a source.
To get a three-year deal this late in the free-agency period is a little rare, but Cody fits into the Texans' plans to upgrade the defensive line. He can play the nose tackle position along with being a "three-technique" defensive tackle.
Cody was a second-round pick of Detroit in 2005. Injuries held him back during a portion of his Lions career. A dislocated toe cost him 10 games in the 2006 season. He had 11 starts during his four seasons with the Lions and appeared in 31 games over the past two seasons.

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2009, 08:42 AM
I like that they are adding some depth to the D-line. I doubt they go d-line in the draft now, unless a DE falls to them that they just can't pass up. I see a DB or OLB going first round.

djohn2oo8
03-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Some people have them taking either brian cushing OLB USC, OR CLAY MATTHEWS LB USC. They might trade down and recieve extra picks.

djohn2oo8
03-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Or Malcolm Jenkins

Dr. Gonzo
03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
Clay Matthews seems likely simply because his uncle is now a coach.

Dr. Gonzo
04-23-2009, 11:27 AM
This is from a press conference with Rick Smith yesterday. I found it interesting.

(on if the team’s focus is on defense going into the draft) “I’ve said that what I think we’ve done over the last few months in free agency, I think, gives us an opportunity to let the process and let our board dictate where we go. I think if you look at our football team, the one glaring issue that we felt like we needed to address was some help on the other defensive end, and I think we’ve done that in free agency with Antonio Smith. I like that addition. I think he’s going to help our pass rush and so I think that, coupled with we’ll have (FS) Eugene Wilson. We got him re-signed. We signed (SS) Nick Ferguson for depth at safety. We’re counting on (LB) Zac Diles to come back and be a productive player. Prior to his injury last year, he was playing at a very high level. We’re counting on (LB) Xavier Adibi to take that next step this year, and so we signed (LB) Cato June as a guy who can come in and compete at that position. He’s played in Super Bowls; he’s a guy who has started in this league for years. And so I feel like we’ve done what we needed to do via free agency to give us a chance to go and pick the best player. We still need some help all over our football team. I think, offensively and defensively, there are areas that we can improve on, so that’s the way I try to go into it and I try to trust the process. We have evaluated these players and rated them in value and ranked them, and that’s the way we’re going to hopefully pull them off the board.”
(on if the team still has a “glaring need”) “I don’t think so. I think that we’ve helped ourselves. I think the glaring need that I think we had is that I think we had to help our defense, and I think we’ve done that in free agency. I think we need a complementary back, at some point, would be nice. Everybody’s talking about the fact that we need another back with (RB) Steve (Slaton), a bigger back, a third-down back, and they forget that we’ve got a guy walking around in our building right now that could fill that role, and that’s (RB) Chris Brown. He was hurt, obviously, last year, but he’s still on our team and so there’s a possibility for him to fill that role. So I don’t think that we have a glaring need anywhere. I think that we can improve our team in a lot of different areas, and that’s what we’re going to try to do Saturday and Sunday. But to say that I’m sitting here and that I am in a position where I feel like if we don’t come out of the draft with any one particular position, we’re in trouble, I don’t feel like that.”

Dr. Gonzo
04-23-2009, 11:28 AM
It sounds like he is pretty happy with the off season moves they made to help the D. I have a feeling they will be either trading down or going with BPA, which just might be a WR.

ATRAIN
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
It sounds like he is pretty happy with the off season moves they made to help the D. I have a feeling they will be either trading down or going with BPA, which just might be a WR.

interesting I still hope we get Matthews in the 1st.

Marcus Bryant
04-23-2009, 03:07 PM
The conventional media wisdom has Matthews as a lock at #15.

EricB
04-24-2009, 05:29 PM
I like Cushing or Matthews, but its disturbing that they are not addressing the offensive line needs that they have needed since, oh, the inaugural season?

Dr. Gonzo
04-25-2009, 10:57 AM
The line isn't that bad. According to the stats they are average. They allowed 32 sacks last year which was the average. I have faith in Gibbs.

OLB would be ideal for this pick, although I wouldn't mind seeing Moreno or Wells picked. From what I've heard I like the Matthews kid. If he has any of his uncle's qualities it would be perfect. Bruce Matthews is my all-time favorite Oiler.

Marcus Bryant
04-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Texans had a solid draft.

1 Brian Cushing LB USC
2 Connor Barwin DE Cincinnati
3 Antoine Caldwell G Alabama
4 Glover Quin CB New Mexico
4 Anthony Hill TE NC State
5 James Casey TE Rice
6 Brice McCain CB Utah
7 Troy Nolan S Arizona St.

j-6
04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
5 James Casey TE Rice

I loved this pick.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/the_bonus/04/23/james.casey/index.html

No matter how much information teams gather, they still have a hard time figuring out how a college player's skills will translate into the NFL. Every year the first round is loaded with busts, while gems fall to the draft's second day. In 2009 perhaps no prospect is harder to figure out than Rice tight end James Casey.

* Casey finished second in the nation with 111 catches last season and is considered one of the top five tight end prospects in this year's draft. But it's not that simple. Casey doesn't fit well into the traditional mold that some NFL teams like. His résumé raises more questions than answers for his prospective employers:

• He's not a tight end in the traditional sense. He has little blocking experience.

• He would have likely played quarterback if he had returned to Rice for his junior season.

• He played seven positions in one game as a freshman.

• He will turn 25 in September.

• He played four years of minor league baseball.

• Rice didn't recruit him. He recruited them.

* Teams don't seem to agree on which position the 6-foot-3, 245-pound Casey will ultimately play. Some have worked him out as a fullback, while others consider him an H-Back. He also frequently took direct snaps and ran with the ball at Rice, so he could be a Wildcat weapon in the NFL.

For an old-school offensive coach, Casey's oddities might be a deal-breaker. For a more open-minded staff, they may be his greatest strength. A closer look at Casey reveals a thoroughly unique prospect that could be hitting the NFL at exactly the right time.
The rise of spread tight ends

No team throws the ball more than Rice, which helps explain Casey's 111 receptions for 1,329 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2008. Casey was too busy catching the ball to block in the Owls' spread offense. Turns out he's not alone. Most of the top tight end prospects in this year's draft class didn't block out of a three-point stance and won't necessarily have to do so at the next level.

"The spread offense in college makes it harder for the NFL to define what a kid may be at the next level," NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock says. "Tight end has been impacted as much or more than any other position. Outside of Oklahoma State's Brandon Petigrew, who's the No. 1 tight end in the country, none of the top prospects have shown they can block."

Casey falls into a group of catch-first tight ends that includes South Carolina's Jared Cook, Southern Miss' Shawn Nelson, Florida's Cornelius Ingram, Missouri's Chase Coffman and Wisconsin's Travis Beckham. They all project as "move" tight ends or H-backs, who can line up in various places in the offense to create mismatches. None of them came close to matching Casey's numbers at Rice.

"Casey might have the best ball skills of anyone at his position," Mayock says. "Some people catch the ball naturally. Other people fight it. He catches the ball very naturally. The real value of this kid is getting him lined up with linebackers and safeties in the pass game."

Casey was originally recruited to play linebacker, and then was moved to defensive end, quarterback and eventually tight end/H-back. Rice's coaching staff was surprised by his pass-catching ability, and revamped their offense to feature Casey in 2008.

"He's got the greatest hands I've ever seen," Rice coach David Bailiff says. "I can't tell you how many catches I've seen him make that he shouldn't have."

Casey ran a 4.74 40 at the combine and doesn't have the speed to be a downfield threat like the Colts' Dallas Clark, but he can make the necessary plays in a ball-control passing offense. Rice frequently lined Casey up in the slot and ran bubble screens and other short and intermediate plays to get the ball in his hands. With his sure hands he should help an offense move the chains even if he's not going to break off many long touchdowns.

"Running down the middle of the field into a cover two, catching the ball, having a safety hit you and still hold on to the ball," Casey says. "That may be what I do best."
Posted: Thursday April 23, 2009 3:25PM; Updated: Friday April 24, 2009 7:23AM
The Bonus The Bonus >
ARCHIVE
James Casey (cont.)
The measure of a man

The hardest thing to judge in any draft is character. It doesn't show up on game tape, it can't be measured with a stopwatch and it's not always easy to assess in an interview, especially when a player has been coached on what to say.

No one who meets Casey has any doubt about his character. His difficult past has drawn a lot of media attention after he burst on to the scene with an impressive workout at the NFL combine in February. Casey's mother died in a house fire when he was 16, leaving him with nothing but the clothes he was wearing and his backpack. He turned to athletics to get him out of a tough spot growing up outside of Fort Worth, Texas.

"Everything bad that has happened to me has led to another opportunity that has been incredible," Casey says. "When my mother died, I almost gave up on everything. But then I thought of her and I knew she wouldn't want to see me moping around. Since then, I've thrown myself into everything I do."

Casey was a two-sport star at Azle High. His football career was cut short by a knee injury, so he ended up focusing on baseball his senior year. He developed a 95-mph fastball and was a seventh-round draft pick by the White Sox in 2003. With no money, he had to sign a baseball contract and abandon any dreams of playing college football.

His career with the White Sox started off promising. Then the coaching staff started tinkering with his mechanics and he lost his control. "When it left my hand, I didn't know where it was going to go," Casey says. "It didn't get to the point where it would go over the backstop every time, but it got close to that."

Once again, adversity provided a new route to success for Casey. He had always carried a football around with him in the minors and wanted to continue his education. He contacted several programs in Texas, and received mostly walk-on offers after showing them a grainy tape from high school and some photos. Rice saw something other schools did not and offered him a scholarship.

"James Casey does not have bad days," Bailiff says. "He realizes what a blessing life is. What opportunities he's been given academically and athletically. As he gets out of bed, he's highly motivated to live his life to his fullest."

Casey quickly developed a reputation as a hard worker on and off the field. The coaching staff was always surprised by how early he arrived at the weight room and how late he left. Professors were surprised by seeing him showing up regularly a half hour before class to make sure he didn't miss anything.

Casey is an academic All-America who is already approaching the number of credits required to graduate. "Most people arrive at Rice and have trouble adjusting academically," says Rice safety Andrew Sendejo, who roomed with Casey for a semester. "He comes in here and takes a really heavy course load and gets a 4.0 his first semester."

Casey has few interests outside of football and his studies. He doesn't like to watch movies, because he feels like he should be doing something productive instead of just sitting there. He spends most of his free time with his wife, Kylie, and rarely socializes with teammates.

Sendejo described some of Casey's rituals at Rice: "Every night I'd come home and smell Folgers. It meant James was going to stay up late studying or finishing a paper. He would also work out at night. I'd be in the other room and hear heavy breathing and wonder to myself what was going on. James was in there doing pushups. And that's after we just did a huge bench press workout at the gym."

Casey hates being late and promises he'll be the first to show up at meetings in the NFL. A Tom Coughlin-like disciplinarian will have no luck collecting fines from Casey.

"For the most part the teams that have done well have been high character teams over the last six, seven eight years," Mayock says. "I've seen much more of an impact placed on character than I did before that. Casey should benefit from that."
The age old question

One of the potential knocks on Casey is that he's 24. By the time he reaches his all-important second contract he could be 29. In a league that covets youth, that's scary for a potential first-day pick.

Casey didn't even think he'd reach the draft this quickly. He's technically a true sophomore, and could rewrite the record book as a receiver or quarterback at Rice. He wasn't on the NFL's radar entering the season and his success came as a surprise to many.

"Nobody knew anything about him," Bailiff says. "We thought he was going to come back so we didn't get his name out there. He was only 29 [course] hours away from graduating. Then it just hit a point with the number of receptions and his age."

Casey's age is also seen a plus by his supporters. He's likely to be the most mature rookie on any team he joins, and will likely avoid the pitfalls that distract other first-year players.

"Everything James does is for his family," Kylie says. "He didn't grow up with a lot and he's really dedicated to making things better for himself and those around him."

Casey's first pro payday with the White Sox gave him a bonus worth about $120,000. He'll likely earn a considerable amount more as a mid-round NFL pick, but he won't break the bank like a first-round pick, so teams can afford to overlook his age.
The legend grows

Casey's unusual background made him a celebrity at Rice and has turned him into a bit of a mythic figure in some NFL circles. He surprised a lot of scouts at his pro day when he finished off his workout by rocketing spirals all over the field in an unexpected passing drill.

"They call him the Natural because he can do anything," Green Bay Packers scout and former NFL running back Alonzo Highsmith says. "He can throw. He can catch. Anything he tries he can do. He could probably pick up cricket and be a star."

But just like Roy Hobbs, a lot of NFL teams still have doubts about his unusual path to the pros. One NFC scout says that Casey was too small for a tight end and wasn't sure what position he would play. Another scout says that he could definitely contribute, but he may be too slow to be a star.

Those close to Casey say any potential negatives won't stop him because he always finds a way to succeed.

"I have no doubt Casey will have a successful NFL career and then go on to be CEO of a major corporation," Bailiff says. "He's that kind of guy. He's going to out-work everybody and find a way to get it done."

The real mystery of Casey's draft status will unravel this weekend. If he goes in the fourth round or below, that means teams likely focused on his lack of blocking experience, age and timed speed. If he goes in the second round, they probably looked more at his receiving ability and character.

Either way, Casey is eager to start his NFL career. "It took me a long time to get here," he says. "I don't plan to let this opportunity slip away."

EricB
04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Antoine Caldwell is a beast. If he can start on opening day that would be awesome.

Caldwell I believe was up for the Ribington award for best center in the nation.

If they can put up a good offensive line in front of Schaub and Slaton and Cushing, Williams, Okoye, Ryans and others step up, this team has a shot health permitting of course.

I like the sneaky good CB pick of Glover Quin in the second round as well.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/sports/logos/football/circlelogo-hou.gif
Houston

A+

Quality from top to bottom. Top: Cushing was an All-Pac 10 linebacker and leader of the Southern Cal defense. Bottom: Nolan started only two seasons but intercepted 10 passes. Barwin and Casey bring versatility, and Brice has 4.33 speed.

link (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/columnists/rgosselin/stories/042709dnspodraftanalysis.41a7b13.html)

I don't know about a A+. It looks like a solid A-/B+ kind of draft. Lots of athleticism, versatility, and skill. I like that the picks in the first three rounds were used on positions near the line of scrimmage. The Texans generally don't seem to reach in the early rounds on glamour spots. When they do make such a pick, they've done well (ie Slaton).

They've also made some nice UDFA signings (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5263), including two RBs (Johnson from Oregon and Foster from Tennessee).

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 11:09 AM
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/teamlogos/nfl/sml/trans/hou.gif
Houston Texans
GRADE: B+

This was a very productive draft, as the Texans' first five picks (Brian Cushing, Connor Barwin, Antoine Caldwell, Glover Quin and Anthony Hill) will all contribute quickly. These are solid football players and I really like the Barwin pick. Look for sixth-rounder Brice McCain and seventh-round selection Troy Nolan to also compete for playing time.

link (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=4103819&action=login&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story%3fcolumnist%3dkiper_jr_mel%26id%3d4103819)

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I agree with Kiper, I think we got a great steal with Barwin (and I saw it on a site somewhere that was one of the top 5 steals of the draft). Texans fans things are starting to fall together. I wasnt sure about the whole 2 TE back to back but im sure they were getting the best avail. All in all I think we have had a GREAT off-season, now hurry up and give Demeco and Daniels thier money!!

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Houston

Several teams told me that the Texans picked some very athletic players, starting with USC outside linebacker Brian Cushing. Cincinnati defensive end Connor Barwin is a converted tight end who led the Big East with 11 sacks in his senior season. Barwin sounds like the next Mike Vrabel. Alabama's Antoine Caldwell started 34 of his 48 career games at center. He's a great long snapper and can also play guard.

New Mexico cornerback Glover Quin had a record 40 3/4-inch vertical jump while also squatting 500 pounds; he may be the strongest athlete at the position. Quin could end up being a free safety. Anthony Hill is a blocking tight end from North Carolina State, while everyone will be curious about Rice's James Casey, who had 111 receptions last season. Casey is a former baseball player who is a very special athlete. Grade: A

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/9505082_36_2.jpg
Rice tight end James Casey is a former baseball player. (Scott Boehm / Getty Images)

link (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9501382?GT1=39002)

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree with Kiper, I think we got a great steal with Barwin (and I saw it on a site somewhere that was one of the top 5 steals of the draft). Texans fans things are starting to fall together. I wasnt sure about the whole 2 TE back to back but im sure they were getting the best avail. All in all I think we have had a GREAT off-season, now hurry up and give Demeco and Daniels thier money!!

Breuner is gone so they needed a blocking TE like Hill. Perhaps Casey will eventually replace Daniels. The Texans had one of the bottom 10 defenses in the league last year so I'm glad to see that they used their two top 50 picks on the front 7. That, along with signing Smith and June in free agency should result in some significant improvement.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Then again, Daniels + Casey would give Kubiak and Shanahan some added wrinkles to the offensive playbook. People are reading way too much into the fact they drafted two TEs.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Breuner is gone so they needed a blocking TE like Hill. Perhaps Casey will eventually replace Daniels. The Texans had one of the bottom 10 defenses in the league last year so I'm glad to see that they used their two top 50 picks on the front 7. That, along with signing Smith and June in free agency should result in some significant improvement.

Yeah I knew Breuner was gone I wonder if they are going to use both depending on situations?

IronMexican
04-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Cushing is a beast. Trust me on that.

EricB
04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I think quin has the potential also to be a starting cb on opening day. That vertical is crazy.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Then again, Daniels + Casey would give Kubiak and Shanahan some added wrinkles to the offensive playbook. People are reading way too much into the fact they drafted two TEs.

I agree. I don't think the FO is dumb enough to let one of the top TEs in the league go because they picked up a TE in the 4th round. I have a feeling Casey is going to be a slot receiver and wildcat guy.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 11:57 AM
I think quin has the potential also to be a starting cb on opening day. That vertical is crazy.

He would have to have a great training camp. Dunta, Reeves (fucking Jacque Reeves :pctoss) and Bennett are already their top 3 CBs. Bennett made strides last season and I think he will eventually be a starter. Quin will be the dime CB/special teams guy this season. However, if they trade that piece of shit Dunta, I think he will get a chance.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah I knew Breuner was gone I wonder if they are going to use both depending on situations?

Could be. Could also be insurance, could be to use in part as leverage in negotiations with Daniels.

The Casey pick to me seems like an opportunistic pick given where they rated his talent.

I'd rather see them use their 3rd and 4th rounders to improve the Oline than to reach on a RB just for the sake of drafting a RB. It seems like they had a couple RBs they were interested in for their 3rd rounder, but when those were off the board they went with a high quality, 4 year starting center who has played every position on the Oline. I'd also rather see them drafting for talent with a bias towards the defense in the early rounds. The fault I see would be that they didn't use one of their picks in the first 3 rounds on the secondary, but if they can get an above average front 7, then they can rely on ballhawking corners and safeties from later rounds.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 12:03 PM
He would have to have a great training camp. Dunta, Reeves (fucking Jacque Reeves :pctoss) and Bennett are already their top 3 CBs. Bennett made strides last season and I think he will eventually be a starter. Quin will be the dime CB/special teams guy this season. However, if they trade that piece of shit Dunta, I think he will get a chance.

We should trade Dunta and Reeves together for a first Rounder and give Moulden and Quin some time.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 12:04 PM
I really don't think they can get a 1st for Dunta. They should try and get at least a 3rd.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 12:12 PM
I really don't think they can get a 1st for Dunta. They should try and get at least a 3rd.

I want to want Dunta can do this season. He will be playing for free agent money so lets use him all we can. Reeves damn I hate him soo much!!

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
A little snippet from a Houston Chronicle article.

Robinson would settle for a deal like defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth received from Tennessee. He would report on time, but if he reached certain incentives, the Titans wouldn’t franchise him. He signed with Washington during the offseason as a free agent.
“That would be wonderful,” Robinson said. “I hope they do it, but you never know. I didn’t think I’d be franchised, but I was.”
Before he was franchised, Robinson turned down a multiyear contract that included $23 million guaranteed.
“I want to play football,” Robinson said. “I love Houston. I love running out on the field on Sundays with my teammates. I think this is going to be a great year for us. ... I’d love to finish my career here, but I’m not going to take anything less than what I think I deserve.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
"Not going to take anything less than what I think I deserve" lol

Heis coming off a MAJOR knee injury and even before it he wasn't a shut down corner. 23 million guaranteed is probably more than he deserves. Fuck him. I hope he goes.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I dont know about you guys but I would love to see what Orlovsky can do with Talent around him. I am going to try to catch a pre-season game for that reason even though he wont be taking reps with the starters. Given Matt's track record im going to get my wish im sure.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I dont know about you guys but I would love to see what Orlovsky can do with Talent around him. I am going to try to catch a pre-season game for that reason even though he wont be taking reps with the starters. Given Matt's track record im going to get my wish im sure.

Yeah, the big "if" next season will be the health of the offense. If that's not a concern, they should be able to make the postseason. I also expect to see some marked improvement on the defensive side, with Frank Bush taking over and the personnel moves they've made so far. Overall, the franchise's been headed in the right direction the last three seasons, but now's the time to start cashing in.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah, the big "if" next season will be the health of the offense. If that's not a concern, they should be able to make the postseason. I also expect to see some marked improvement on the defensive side, with Frank Bush taking over and the personnel moves they've made so far. Overall, the franchise's been headed in the right direction the last three seasons, but now's the time to start cashing in.

Yeah I agree, our time was coming the last few seasons, NOW our time has started. I wont settle for anything less than 1st or 2nd in the div and a wild card spot.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Yeah I agree, our time was coming the last few seasons, NOW our time has started. I wont settle for anything less than 1st or 2nd in the div and a wild card spot.

Let's also hope that Okoye's sophomore slump was a blip and that perhaps Travis Johnson can contribute something. I guess ultimately it will be who is on the depth chart to push them?

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Okoye played most of the season with a high ankle sprain. He came on at the end of the season when it got a little better. I expect him to be huge next year. Especially with Mario and Smith getting so much attention.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Okoye played most of the season with a high ankle sprain. He came on at the end of the season when it got a little better. I expect him to be huge next year. Especially with Mario and Smith getting so much attention.

Hope so. Any word on how Okam is progressing?

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Hope so. Any word on how Okam is progressing?

I havent heard anything but I say her give him a shot, he cant do anyworse than Johnson lol. I hope with all the talent we got in the draft and free agency that will push some of these guys to work harder.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=493&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=5815141

Insert Peyton Manning here!!!

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I havent heard anything but I say her give him a shot, he cant do anyworse than Johnson lol. I hope with all the talent we got in the draft and free agency that will push some of these guys to work harder.

...or at least that Smith and Williams make it easier for the DTs to contribute.

If so, the next draft can be biased towards the secondary early on.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 01:23 PM
LOL This guy wants some of VY

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/86712/brian_cushing.jpg

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Deljuan Robinson will be a player next season. I think he will eventually be a starter in place of TJ.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
...or at least that Smith and Williams make it easier for the DTs to contribute.

If so, the next draft can be biased towards the secondary early on.

Yeah plus with out LB squad can now help back them up and provide less pressure for them. Either way I see our def line being WAY bettter now. So who do you guys see as our season LB squad? Is Adibi going to get the boot the the bench?

dirk4mvp
04-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Have fun continuing to suck.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah plus with out LB squad can now help back them up and provide less pressure for them. Either way I see our def line being WAY bettter now. So who do you guys see as our season LB squad? Is Adibi going to get the boot the the bench?

I think he is going to be the starting Will LB and it will be a competition between Cushing and Diles for the other spot. June will be a situational LB.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
THE NEW TEXANS
NFL, Texas always in Cushing’s plans

As a third-grader, Brian Cushing came up to his father, Frank, one evening and told him matter-of-factly, “Dad, I’ve got a plan.” The elder Cushing put down his newspaper, eyed the boy and replied, “You’ve got a plan? OK, Brian, then tell me, what’s your plan?”

Brian had things neatly laid out. He said: “I’m going to Bergen Catholic High School, I’m going to be all-state and All-American, then I’m going to Notre Dame and then — you’re not going to like this part, Dad —I’m going to play for the Dallas Cowboys and be the best player in the whole NFL.”

Residing in North Jersey, New York Giants country, Frank Cushing was required to be a sworn enemy of the Cowboys. Worse, calling himself “a baseball guy,” his dream was to see his youngest make it to the major leagues. At least the Notre Dame part sounded good.

“I’m Irish Catholic,” Cushing said.

But that didn’t work out despite a major push from Charlie Weis, who called the Cushings the day after he landed the Notre Dame head-coaching job. After receiving some 75 scholarship offers, Brian wound up choosing USC instead. And now he’s moving to Texas.
Family visit

But his father can relax. He’ll be playing in Houston, not Dallas.

After the Texans made Cushing the 15th pick of the NFL draft Saturday, the family flew in Sunday to meet owner Bob McNair and the coaching staff. Addressing the media, the rookie outside linebacker promised not to disappoint, saying he will be “a player that brings a lot of excitement and intensity and anything that helps the team win.”

Cushing’s father advises you take him at his word.

“Brian has always known what he wanted and how to get it,” he said. “He’s such a great athlete — I think he would have been a better baseball player than football player — and he’s relentless. You could put him on offense and he’d be unstoppable there, too.”

That’s Cushing’s reputation: A full-bore maniac on every play, may the devil take the hindquarter. But his über-intensity has caused him to get injured frequently and raised suspicions of what was really fueling the white-hot fire in his flat belly. Rumors of steroid use have nagged the 6-3, 246-pound Cushing since high school despite his having never failed a drug test.

Frank Cushing can tell you why the stuff started.

“Between his junior and senior years (in high school), Brian gained 25, 30 pounds,” he said. “But he also grew taller, and he gets his size from the Polish side of the family. Compared to his cousins, he’s average. They’re all as big or bigger than he is.”
Tired of rumors

The doping suspicions, not to mention the criticism of his agility, football instincts and adaptability within the flow of the game, frustrates Cushing no end.

“It’s been difficult,” he said. “There are people out there trying to slam you and tarnish your name. I don’t know how many more drug tests or anything else I can go through to prove that I’m a hard-working guy and don’t take anything illegal.

“The Houston Texans believe in me and that’s what’s most important. I’m just going to keep proving people wrong.”

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 01:34 PM
Have fun continuing to suck.

Somehow, Jerrald's meddling and millions hasn't provided much more.

dirk4mvp
04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Somehow, the Texans will continue to suck.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 01:36 PM
"That’s Cushing’s reputation: A full-bore maniac on every play, may the devil take the hindquarter."

That's exactly the kind of fire the D needs. Hopefully all the other players will feed off it it.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 01:38 PM
That’s Cushing’s reputation: A full-bore maniac on every play, may the devil take the hindquarter. But his über-intensity has caused him to get injured frequently and raised suspicions of what was really fueling the white-hot fire in his flat belly. Rumors of steroid use have nagged the 6-3, 246-pound Cushing since high school despite his having never failed a drug test.

Frank Cushing can tell you why the stuff started.

“Between his junior and senior years (in high school), Brian gained 25, 30 pounds,” he said. “But he also grew taller, and he gets his size from the Polish side of the family. Compared to his cousins, he’s average. They’re all as big or bigger than he is.”
Tired of rumors

The doping suspicions, not to mention the criticism of his agility, football instincts and adaptability within the flow of the game, frustrates Cushing no end.

“It’s been difficult,” he said. “There are people out there trying to slam you and tarnish your name. I don’t know how many more drug tests or anything else I can go through to prove that I’m a hard-working guy and don’t take anything illegal.

“The Houston Texans believe in me and that’s what’s most important. I’m just going to keep proving people wrong.”

Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be a roid head. He hasn't failed a test, but he did bulk up a lot at SC. The prevalence of steroids does tend to cast a shadow over those who have simply busted their ass.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 01:39 PM
"That’s Cushing’s reputation: A full-bore maniac on every play, may the devil take the hindquarter."

That's exactly the kind of fire the D needs. Hopefully all the other players will feed off it it.

Got to love him and DeMeco as starters in the linebacking corps for the foreseeable future.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 01:49 PM

Got to love him and DeMeco as starters in the linebacking corps for the foreseeable future.

Yeah thats going to kick all kinds of ass. What number is Cushing going to have I wonder? Who is number 10 right now?

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Clearly the Texans needed to draft SC's placekicker in the 5th round.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah thats going to kick all kinds of ass. What number is Cushing going to have I wonder? Who is number 10 right now?

Not sure. When he visited after the draft he was displaying a #56 jersey. I don't believe he could get a #10 jersey in the NFL as a linebacker.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 02:16 PM
Not sure. When he visited after the draft he was displaying a #56 jersey. I don't believe he could get a #10 jersey in the NFL as a linebacker.

Yeah I was sure thats a QB number. Depending on his season I might have to get a cushing jersey to go with my Andre Johnson Blue or Super Mario Battle red.

samikeyp
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Brad Van Pelt wore 10 with the Giants for years but only because he was the backup kicker in his rookie year. Tell the NFL that Cushing is the 3rd string QB so he can wear 10. :)

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Brad Van Pelt wore 10 with the Giants for years but only because he was the backup kicker in his rookie year. Tell the NFL that Cushing is the 3rd string QB so he can wear 10. :)

LOL I should start a Cushing lover thread to make ThunderDan jealous and put that Cushing has more muscle lol.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I also like that they were able to get two RBs as UDFAs who are likely just as good as who they could have gotten from the 5th round on. Apparently they were ready to take a RB with their 3rd rounder but the two they targeted for that pick were off the board, so they went with Caldwell instead.

Foster apparently was projected to go as a 2nd rounder last year before he got injured. That was after a 1,000 rushing yard junior season at Tennessee.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I also like that they were able to get two RBs as UDFAs who are likely just as good as who they could have gotten from the 5th round on. Apparently they were ready to take a RB with their 3rd rounder but the two they targeted for that pick were off the board, so they went with Caldwell instead.

Foster apparently was projected to go as a 2nd rounder last year before he got injured. That was after a 1,000 rushing yard junior season at Tennessee.

Damn what kind of power does he have? Will he be a good 3rd down back?

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Arian Foster bio on nfldraftcountdown.com (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/Arian-Foster.php)
Jeremiah Johnson, RB, Oregon (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/Jeremiah-Johnson.php)

They also got a WR from Arizona St who's pretty good as an UDFA.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Arian Foster bio on nfldraftcountdown.com (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/Arian-Foster.php)
Jeremiah Johnson, RB, Oregon (http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/rb/Jeremiah-Johnson.php)

They also got a WR from Arizona St who's pretty good as an UDFA.

Seems like Johnson would be a better 3rd down and goal line guy for us.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Their draft looks even better with these UDFA signings.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Seems like Johnson would be a better 3rd down and goal line guy for us.

Yeah, power back to complement Slaton. I think they'll still need to pick up a veteran RB in free agency.

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah, power back to complement Slaton. I think they'll still need to pick up a veteran RB in free agency.

Who would you like to see? Isnt Shaun Alexander a free agent?

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
FWIW, nfldraftcountdown.com had Barwin going #34 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-2.php) to the Pats.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Who would you like to see? Isnt Shaun Alexander a free agent?

Yeah, he's a name. Denver has quite a few and may cast off one. I think I could handle them counting on Brown to get healthy, seeing if they strike gold with one of these UDFAs, and perhaps picking up a lesser known power back.

Remember when Denver had all those backs rush for 1,000 yards behind Gibbs' Olines...

ATRAIN
04-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah, he's a name. Denver has quite a few and may cast off one. I think I could handle them counting on Brown to get healthy, seeing if they strike gold with one of these UDFAs, and perhaps picking up a lesser known power back.

Remember when Denver had all those backs rush for 1,000 yards behind Gibbs' Olines...

Yeah man Denver always produced those 1000 rushers and I am waiting for that to rub off over here. Brown has a lot of upside when he stays healthy so hopefully he does.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Kubiak and Smith are real high on Brown. I'm sure they have seen him working out and rehabbing his injuries so they would know if he's good to go or not. I was shocked he wasn't cut during the offseason with Green but if he can be good for 3rd down and goal line carries that would be great.

If not, I say bring back the Dayne Train!!

stretch
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
LMAO texans

Artest93
04-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Cushing will wear Number 56

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Kubiak and Smith are real high on Brown. I'm sure they have seen him working out and rehabbing his injuries so they would know if he's good to go or not. I was shocked he wasn't cut during the offseason with Green but if he can be good for 3rd down and goal line carries that would be great.

If not, I say bring back the Dayne Train!!

Yeah. I'm not sure they could've drafted a RB with their 3rd through 7th rounders that would've been any better.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Here are a couple of videos of the UDFAs

Jeremiah Johnson
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8dc13

Arian Foster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfvypWLokk&NR=1

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Here are a couple of videos of the UDFAs

Jeremiah Johnson
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f8dc13

Arian Foster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfvypWLokk&NR=1

Thanks. I think Foster may be a keeper.

benefactor
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the updates on the draft and other roster moves fellas. I saw that we drafted Cushing and Barwin but beyond that I haven't kept up with much as I have been pretty focused on Spurs stuff. Quin looks like a promising prospect too.

No more disappointments. Playoffs '09 are coming.

InRareForm
04-27-2009, 07:37 PM
any of you guys post at texanstalk.com?

BTW, i love the picks we got, our defense just got better, just hope cushing can stay healthy and be quick enough. Like his aggression and mindset tho, it will rub off on others.

benefactor
04-27-2009, 07:48 PM

BTW, i love the picks we got, our defense just got better, just hope cushing can stay healthy and be quick enough. Like his aggression and mindset tho, it will rub off on others.
I used to but I got banned from there and HT.com because Vinny is a bag of douche.

I go to headsplint's site if I want to talk Texans anywhere but here.

http://texansfootball.proboards.com/index.cgi

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 09:09 PM
I like what the FO is putting together. Thank God Casserly is nowhere near Houston.

Dr. Gonzo
04-27-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm registered at texanstalk but don't ever really post there.

And I love the way the FO is building this team through the draft. Casserly loved spending money on free agents and that just didn't work. This team is really set up well for the future. They will win a Super Bowl before the other Texas team.

Oh and Bob McNair is one of the best owners in the NFL.

Marcus Bryant
04-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Foster and Johnson are very intriguing. Hopefully one of them can stick and at least turn into a decent backup. When you look at who was available at RB when they were drafting in the 3rd round versus those two, I'd say the talent is comparable. Yet more shrewd moves by the FO.

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2009, 09:21 AM

I do! Same name here as there.

ATRAIN
04-28-2009, 09:25 AM
I do! Same name here as there.

Same here but I think some of you have seen me there.

stretch
04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
lol texans

GuerillaBlack
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Why did Connor take Antwan Peek's old number! They went to the same college, too! Let's hope it won't be bad luck. :toast

ATRAIN
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Why did Connor take Antwan Peek's old number! They went to the same college, too! Let's hope it won't be bad luck. :toast

Whatever happened to Peek?

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I think he went to Cleveland.

Dr. Gonzo
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
lol

http://manofest.com/images/joomgallery/img_pictures/funny_62/the_2009_nfl_draft_celebrity_look-alikes_169/the_2009_nfl_draft_celebrity_look-alikes_20090426_1653371290.jpg

SpuronyourFace
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm registered at texanstalk but don't ever really post there.

And I love the way the FO is building this team through the draft. Casserly loved spending money on free agents and that just didn't work. This team is really set up well for the future. They will win a Super Bowl before the other Texas team.

Texans have the right philosophy now that Casserly is gone. Just build through the draft. Cowboys have done that in recent years too. Most of their stars and probowlers are guys they drafted. Kubiak has been paitent building and I think it will pay off possibly this season.

I like the Cushing pick, but would of liked Clay Matthews better for obvious reasons, lol. Hopefully the guy can stay healthy for the Texans. Seems like he could be a stud.

bugoy
04-29-2009, 03:24 PM

why do people keep saying that and no one ever gives exaples. im curious

Dr. Gonzo
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
I think it's because he has built an organization with character people from top to bottom. He lets the people he hires do their job, like the GM and coach. He is happy to dish out contracts if need be but doesn't try to lose money in the process. He has built on of the most valuable franchise despite the fact that they have yet to have a winning season.

He knows it takes patience and time to build a team the right way and he stays out of the way. That's why I think he's one of the best owners in the NFL and definitely the best owner in Texas.

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Texans consider options at RB
Returnees,
college free agents 
in the running
as Slaton’s backup

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6402464.html

Unless they sign a free agent like Selvin Young, who was waived by Denver on Thursday, the Texans will be five deep at running back.

The Denver Post reported that Young is suffering from a herniated disc, so he'll have to get healthy before a team is interested in signing him.

The search for the ideal complement to Steve Slaton is an ongoing process that, at some point, probably will include more players waived by other teams since the Texans didn’t fill that need in the draft.

Beginning with 14 organized team activities that start May 18, continuing through the minicamp June 15-17 and into training camp and preseason, it’s going to be interesting to see what player wins the backup job.
Targeted backs taken

Shonn Greene (Jets) and Glen Coffee (49ers), backs targeted by the Texans as good value in the third round for what they were looking for, were taken before they chose center Antoine Caldwell with the 77th overall pick.

As of today, there are four candidates to earn the top backup job behind Slaton (5-9, 204), who set a team record with 1,282 yards rushing, averaged 4.8 yards a carry, totaled 1,659 yards from scrimmage and scored 10 touchdowns as a rookie in 2008.

Ideally, the coaches would like a bigger back who fits their one-cut system, a back like Ahman Green (6-0, 218), who was waived, or Cedric Benson (5-11, 220), who was courted by the Texans before re-signing with Cincinnati.

Ryan Moats (5-8, 210) did well playing behind Slaton last season. Chris Brown (6-3, 220) would be ideal because he’s familiar with the system but is injured a lot. He spent last season on injured reserve.

“I like both of them,” offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said. “If Chris can stay healthy, I feel very good about it (running back situation). He’s healthy now, and we’re counting on him. I expect a lot out of Chris this year.

“Ryan’s very talented. He really came on last season. He’s perfect for our system. He could be what we’re looking for, also.”

Because they didn’t select a back in the draft, the Texans signed two undrafted free agents — Tennessee’s Arian Foster (6-1, 227) and Oregon’s Jeremiah Johnson (5-9, 209). Both had injuries in college.

“In four years at Oregon, his worst average per carry was 6.1 yards,” Shanahan said about Johnson, who averaged 6.7 yards a carry in his career. “After Jonathan Stewart left (for Carolina), as a senior, he averaged 7.1 yards a carry.”

Johnson missed most of his junior year after undergoing surgery to repair a torn knee ligament. He returned last season to rush for 1,201 yards and 13 touchdowns.

“He’s got good vision,” Shanahan said. “He slid in the draft because he’s undersized and not very fast, but he’s quick. ”

Foster played with knee, shoulder and ankle injuries at Tennessee. As a junior, he rushed for 1,193 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Drop-off as a senior

After his junior season, Foster underwent knee surgery. His performance as a senior slipped dramatically. He played in every game but had only 570 yards.

“Foster’s talented enough to have been a third-or fourth-round (pick),” Shanahan said. “He has everything we’re looking for. He’s a big back who’s not going to mess around. He’s going to get downhill quick.

“He looks the part. His running style is what we’re looking for, very similar to Chris Brown, and that’s what we really need to complement Steve.”

Dr. Gonzo
05-01-2009, 02:50 PM
Looks like Chris Brown will be getting those snaps. I don't see them using the two undrafted guys unless they have a huge training camp and preseason.

They will be practice squad guys much like Darius Walker.

ATRAIN
05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Looks like Chris Brown will be getting those snaps. I don't see them using the two undrafted guys unless they have a huge training camp and preseason.

They will be practice squad guys much like Darius Walker.

Yeah I agree...what do you think about Young? I dont mind if he is cheap. I dont want us to over pay for a RB that is hurt like Brown and Green.

Dr. Gonzo
05-01-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't think they should spend any more money on running backs, especially injured ex-Broncos.

BSofA04
05-01-2009, 11:16 PM

I'm registered there and post often with the same name. Also registered at the official message board but rarely post there. I've noticed that the true Texan fans stick to texanstalk.com.

Also to the person who ask why Bob McNair is considered one of the best owners, there are some very good examples. First, he lets his coaches coach. Obviously that has got him in trouble in the past because trusting people can bite you in the ass, but with Coach Kubiak and GM Rick Smith running the show, we've gone from 2-14 to 8-8 in back-to-back years. This season is the first realistic playoffs or bust. With the 3rd ranked offense in the NFL, it's up to the defense to step up.

Second, McNair is willing to dish out the big bucks to get players into Houston. Again, this has bit him in the ass with the previous regime. Now that things are going well, he has opened up his wallet and allowed the GM to do his job and bring in quality players.

Third, McNair has always been a class act. From the stadium, to the locker rooms, to the treatment of the players wives everything is first class. McNair has the attitude of "people first", and employees respect that. Wouldn't we all? Even when the Texans wern't worth watching, everything behind the scenes was and always will be first class.

No matter what club you root for, there's no denying that the Texans are a class organization. There's a reason why they're in the top 5 of Forbes most valuable NFL teams.

BSofA04
05-01-2009, 11:23 PM
James Casey will make the Texans offense ridiculous. What a gem that was in the 5th round?! Just putting him on the field with Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton, Kevin Walter and of course Andre Johnson makes it nearly impossible to guess where we're going. Matt Schaub's gotta be pissing his pants for the opportunity to put those 5 players against any defense in the NFL. Fantasy Championship!

benefactor
05-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't think they should spend any more money on running backs, especially injured ex-Broncos.
Agreed.

Even though the FO seems to love him, I am so not sold on Chris Brown. For me it's just like Green...it's not about if he will get injured, it's when. With our luck that would be a game before the playoffs. Hopefully we keep our options open behind Slaton.

Dr. Gonzo
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Reeves focuses on technique
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5280

The Texans’ pass defense endured a bumpy ride in 2008, employing different rotations at defensive back and waiting for the mid-season return of cornerback Dunta Robinson (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5280#). Ultimately, Houston finished the year ranked 17th in the league by allowing 213.9 passing yards per game.
An average performance on defense won’t cut it this season. The Texans are again awaiting the return of Robinson. This time, it's because he is sitting out the team's voluntary offseason workout program due to contract issues after receiving the franchise tag. All signs indicate that he will suit up for the season opener, but the burden of the being the team's No. 1 corner once again could fall on the shoulders of Jacques Reeves (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5280#).
After signing with Houston as a free agent last offseason, Reeves won a starting spot at left corner. He started all 16 games and notched a career-high four interceptions, including one that he returned for a touchdown at Minnesota
Reeves often was picked apart by the media for not making plays on the ball, but his stats show that he played better than people realized. In 2008, Reeves was thrown at 109 times and gave up 53 completions and three touchdowns. The completion percentage he allowed was better than that of players such as San Diego’s Antonio Cromartie, Tennessee’s Cortland Finnegan and Arizona’s Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Reeves also played behind a weak pass rush that didn’t help quarterbacks force many bad throws. Still, Reeves knows he has his work cut out for him this season, especially when it comes to technique. He has been in constant meetings with defensive backs coach David Gibbs (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5280#), who is known for riding cornerbacks on their hand and eye placement in coverage.
“(Gibbs) is a technique freak, and that’s what I need,” Reeves said. “I need to get a whole lot better with my technique, and I think he is going to challenge me at that.”
With improved technique, Reeves thinks he will flourish in defensive coordinator Frank Bush (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5280#)’s new defensive scheme, which will call for aggressive man coverage.
“We are going to play tighter on the receivers, play a few different coverages, confuse offenses more and get after the ball a little bit more,” Reeves said.

“Playing tighter on receivers gives me a chance to utilize my speed instead of playing nine or 10 yards off, which doesn’t really give me that opportunity. I get to be aggressive, and that’s what I like to do.”
Reeves has a main objective in 2009, and that’s to be playing in the postseason. He said he hopes Robinson will be playing opposite of him to help make that happen, but he understands that right now his teammate is handling the business side of the job.
“My only goal is make this team a playoff team; that is it,” Reeves said. “I don’t have any goals as far as interceptions. I just want to help this team make it to the playoffs.”

Dr. Gonzo
05-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I like the direction the D is going. No more 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 2.

Oh and Fuck Jacque Reeves.

benefactor
05-14-2009, 02:38 PM
“(Gibbs) is a technique freak, and that’s what I need,” Reeves said. “I need to get a whole lot better with my technique, and I think he is going to challenge me at that.”
With improved technique, Reeves thinks he will flourish in defensive coordinator Frank Bush’s new defensive scheme, which will call for aggressive man coverage.
“We are going to play tighter on the receivers, play a few different coverages, confuse offenses more and get after the ball a little bit more,” Reeves said.

“Playing tighter on receivers gives me a chance to utilize my speed instead of playing nine or 10 yards off, which doesn’t really give me that opportunity. I get to be aggressive, and that’s what I like to do.”
Reeves has a main objective in 2009, and that’s to be playing in the postseason. He said he hopes Robinson will be playing opposite of him to help make that happen, but he understands that right now his teammate is handling the business side of the job.
“My only goal is make this team a playoff team; that is it,” Reeves said. “I don’t have any goals as far as interceptions. I just want to help this team make it to the playoffs.”
STFU Reeves. You suck and no amount of technique adjustments will help that. You can help this team by taking a cruise and getting off at one of the ports and staying there.

ATRAIN
05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
STFU Reeves. You suck and no amount of technique adjustments will help that. You can help this team by taking a cruise and getting off at one of the ports and staying there.

LMAO fucking Reeves!! At least the bitch thinks he can get better. PLEASE DALLAS TAKE HIM BACK!!!

ATRAIN
05-14-2009, 02:43 PM
I like the direction the D is going. No more 10 yard cushion on 3rd and 2.

That basically means that Reeves is going to get burned on 3rd down more often. No cushion means he is going to get beat off the line.

manufan10
05-14-2009, 02:53 PM
LMAO fucking Reeves!! At least the bitch thinks he can get better. PLEASE DALLAS TAKE HIM BACK!!!

There's a reason why he wasn't a real starter in Dallas. :toast

manufan10
05-14-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm looking forward to a great season from Andre Johnson. That guy is a BEAST! I want to see him get 10 or more TD catches though.

manufan10
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I can realistically see the Texans going 11-5 or 12-4 this year. Looking at their schedule, they have some games that are VERY winnable. However, for all of those very winnable games, they're going to have just as many TOUGH games. They're still games that can be won. So I'm going with the Texans going 11-5 and making the playoffs.

ATRAIN
05-15-2009, 02:10 PM
I can realistically see the Texans going 11-5 or 12-4 this year. Looking at their schedule, they have some games that are VERY winnable. However, for all of those very winnable games, they're going to have just as many TOUGH games. They're still games that can be won. So I'm going with the Texans going 11-5 and making the playoffs.

SO what do you predict as far as AFC south standings?

manufan10
05-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Ind: 12-4
Hou: 11-5
Ten: 8-8
Jac: 7-9

I think Houston will get in with a wildcard. From the looks of the schedules they could even win the division, but it's going to be difficult. The Colts are a good team. I think the Titans are going to drop off from last year and the Jags will be a little better than last year, but still not that great. It's realistic to say the Texans have a very good chance this year.

ATRAIN
05-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Ind: 12-4
Hou: 11-5
Ten: 8-8
Jac: 7-9

I think Houston will get in with a wildcard. From the looks of the schedules they could even win the division, but it's going to be difficult. The Colts are a good team. I think the Titans are going to drop off from last year and the Jags will be a little better than last year, but still not that great. It's realistic to say the Texans have a very good chance this year.

Titans losing Haynesworth hurts them a lot. The only thing that scares me is Chris Johnson, that bitch is quick. We gave Indy a fght twice last year and SHOULD have won both of those games without our improved def and I dont think Indy did much to improve that team so I think if we pass up anyone in the South its going to be Indy.

NewJerSpur
05-15-2009, 02:33 PM
So if Schaub goes down again, does Houston finish 8-8 one more time?

manufan10
05-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Titans losing Haynesworth hurts them a lot. The only thing that scares me is Chris Johnson, that bitch is quick. We gave Indy a fght twice last year and SHOULD have won both of those games without our improved def and I dont think Indy did much to improve that team so I think if we pass up anyone in the South its going to be Indy.

I would say that the Texans should have a realistic chance at winning the division. It CAN happen. They would have to win some tough games on the road to do so, but it can happen. I'm also giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will win at home.

ATRAIN
05-15-2009, 02:47 PM

Maybe hard to say. Orlovsky put up decent numbers with limited talent in Det. He will have better coaching, a better line, better wr, and a running game. I really want to see what he can do in pre-season. Sage really fucked up some of those games last year and everyone knows about Rosencopter when Matt was out. Maybe Orlovsky is a better QB than sage, its hard to tell. Having Dan be a starter for most of the season for a NFL team should really help him prepare in case we need him. If Schaub goes down for more than half of the season then yeah we will be lucky to finish 8-8 but again you never know lol.

LOL i totally tip toed around that answer huh?

manufan10
05-15-2009, 02:58 PM

Like with any team it will be hard for them to win without their starting QB.

Dr. Gonzo
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
The loss of Moore and Dungy will be huge for the Colts. I wonder how much of an effect it will have on the team. Those guys were big factors in the Colts being where they are. The AFC South might be up for grabs for the first time since they messed with the divisions.

NewJerSpur
05-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Maybe hard to say. Orlovsky put up decent numbers with limited talent in Det. He will have better coaching, a better line, better wr, and a running game. I really want to see what he can do in pre-season. Sage really fucked up some of those games last year and everyone knows about Rosencopter when Matt was out. Maybe Orlovsky is a better QB than sage, its hard to tell. Having Dan be a starter for most of the season for a NFL team should really help him prepare in case we need him. If Schaub goes down for more than half of the season then yeah we will be lucky to finish 8-8 but again you never know lol.

LOL i totally tip toed around that answer huh?

Yes, yes you did. :p:

-Schaub's a good passer on the move but he leaves himself exposed if he does it excessively.

-If Orlovsky has to start and he's backed up in his own endzone, make sure he doesn't step out of bounds.

-Don't count the Seahawks as an automatic W. We were crappy last season because we had way too many injuries on both sides and a lame duck coach situation. We have a new regime in place which creates question marks in and of itself, but we could just a easily return to form this year....especially if our Pro-Bowl QB is healthy and receivers don't drop like flies.

Dr. Gonzo
05-15-2009, 03:08 PM
lol Seahawks

NewJerSpur
05-15-2009, 03:11 PM
lol Seahawks

Sure, sure.

Marcus Bryant
05-15-2009, 03:57 PM
If Schaub, AJ, and Brown are healthy next season a playoff appearance is doable.

Dr. Gonzo
05-18-2009, 04:22 PM
For those interested:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/LiveChat.asp

Sheryl - houston, TX, US: Did anyone stand out today.

Brooke Bentley: OK, this is the last email of the day. Thank you to everyone who sent in questions. I'm sorry if I didn't get to you, but today we had a very full mail bag.
Hi Sheryl,
All eyes were on the rookies today. Brian Cushing jumped right in with the first team and tight end James Casey had a great diving catch. Also, Antoine Caldwell got worked hard by assistant head coach Alex Gibbs. Defensive back Brice McCain, Glover Quin and Troy Nolan are getting a lot of technique work from defensive backs coach David Gibbs. They need a little polishing, but they have a lot of potential. McCain is fast and Quin's got size.

ben - spring, TX, US: With 3 solid 'true' tight ends ahead of him, do you think James Casey's biggest impact this season will be as a receiver moreso than a tight end on the line of scrimmage

Brooke Bentley: Hi Ben,
James Casey is going to work out as a tight end. He's a pass-catching tight end, but he's got the size and work ethic to become a solid blocker. If he can improve his blocking skills and excel on special teams, he'll find a way on the field. The Texans also can use Casey as a fullback or in the "Wildcat" formation. I think we'll see a lot more two tight-end sets this season.

doug - houston, TX, US: Brook....first great job on the website...enjoy your stories and interviews with players and coaches...... What are you looking forward to seeing with OTA's?

Brooke Bentley: Alright fans, I'm going to take a couple more questions, then I have to call it a day.
Hi Doug,
Thanks for the shout out. I have to say that I am most excited to see who wins the weakside LB spot. The competition there is stiff. I'm also want to see how linebacker Brian Cushing uprgrades the defense and how Amobi Okoye responds to new defensive line coach Bill Kollar. I think this defense will have a new attitude in 2009.

nicholas hartnett - galveston, TX, US: Do you think the texans might change things up a little by switching back in forth between some 3-4 and 4-3 fronts? i know anotonio smith can drop back in coverage

Brooke Bentley: Hi Nicholas,
Coach Gary Kubiak keeps saying that the Texans will remain a 4-3 team, so I don't see them switching. But I do think they will be more creative. D-coordinator Frank Bush talked to me about moving Antonio Smith to the inside to rush the passer and he pointed out that Smith could drop back in coverage. I think this defense really is going to be built around Mario Williams' pass rushing skills, and Bush is going to get creative so that teams have trouble double-teaming or figuring out what to do with Mario.

Troy - Chicago, IL, US: It seems like there is a lot of pressure on Amobe to pick it up a notch this year. After the first OTA, does Amobe seem to be more focused and ready to contribute as expected?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Troy,
I talked to GM Rick Smith about Amobi Okoye before OTAs. Smith told he that Amobi has to step up for the defense to execute and that Amobi knows this. Today, new defensive line coach Bill Kollar was all over his unit and he had Amobi running at a high gear. I think Kollar will be riding Amobi hard and it will be interesting to see the results.

Jason Shelton - Kuwait City, TX, KU: Greetings Brooke from Kuwait, Which running backs are the Texans most likely to keep?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Jason,
Thanks for reaching out from Kuwait! Well, Steve Slaton is a given. The Texans want to find a bigger back to complement Slaton in short-yardage situations. If Chris Brown can convince them that he will be healthy all season, he'll be around. But I also was impressed with Arian Foster, a rookie free agent out of Tennessee. He's got the size and the speed to play in the Texans' one-cut running scheme.

nicholashartnett - galveston, TX, US: What is up with the texans at safety?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Nicholas,
Right now, it looks like the starters are Eugene Wilson (free safety) and Nick Ferguson (strong safety). But look for Dominique Barber to compete with Ferguson for starting honors. The coaches liked Barber's progress last season and he's got a size advantage on Ferguson.

Geoff - Charlottesville, VA, US: Hi Brooke, I think you are doing an awesome job! I rely on you for all my Texans coverage since I live out of state. Keep up the good work! I was curious about the running back situation. Do you have any insight into who the Texans are thinking of bringing into the season? Are the Texans content with the group they've got now, or do you see them trying to trade or bring in additional free agents? Did you get a chance to see any of the UDFA rookie running backs, and if so, how did they look? Thanks!

Brooke Bentley: Hi Geoff,
There are four people competing to be "the" complement to Steve Slaton: Chris Brown, Ryan Moats, Arian Foster and Jeremiah Johnson. Chris Brown certainly looks the part because he is big and fast, but he has a history of injuries. I was impressed with Arian Foster's size. He looks like someone who could excel in the Texans' one-cut scheme. I think the coaches are excited to see what they have in him. Moats also is very quick and has a great work ethic- he's the perfect backup guy. However, GM Rick Smith told me they will continue to look at who is available and see if they can upgrade their talent. So there could be some additions to this group.

robert - Houston, TX, US: Any word on how Justin Brantly looked on this first day of OTA?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Robert,
Justin Brantly is a big guy for a punter. I was really impressed with his size coming out of Texas A&M. He worked out with incumbent punter Matt Turk doing individual drills, so it was hard to get much of a read on him.

Michael Hill - Houston, TX, US: Do you think Antoine Caldwell could push Chris Myers out and be the starter next season. Is he good enough?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Anthony,
The coaches have said that Caldwell will back up Chris Myers and it's hard to see a rookie starting right away. Plus, they like that this offensive line started all 16 games together last season, so they are very comfortable with the zone blocking scheme. That being said, I think Caldwell will make a big push. He's a big guy and a quick learner (graduated in three years). Caldwell was getting worked hard in practice today, but I think he'll have a steep learning curve and will push Myers.

Tim OBriant - Cypress, TX, US: Is the new backup QB, Dan Orlovsky, in camp? Is he considered a hidden gem (i.e., as "good" as Sage was) or just a semi-capable body filling a uniform? Also, are than any other notables not attending OTAs other than D-Rob?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Tim,
QB Dan Orlovsky was taking reps behing Matt Schaub in OTAs today, and I think he's very impressive. Orlovsky is taller than Schaub and he gets great zip on the ball. He started for the Lions last year. And, yes, they were terrible, but I think Orlovsky has a ton of potential and is much more than a jersey-filler. As for no-shows, CB Dunta Robinson wasn't there because of his contract holdout and DE Connor Barwin, the second-round draft pick, is still in school. Everyone else, including DeMeco Ryans, was there.

Stanley Tucker - Fort Lee, VA, US: Are you gonna get some coverage of how cornerback Glover Quin is doing during the OTA's?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Stanley,
We are going to cover each of the Texans' draft picks. I actually just wrote about Glover Quinn being one of the most interesting prospects. He's a big cornerback at 5-11, 204 pounds. He has the potential to a big-hitting cornerback and he has the build to play safety. I am curious to see how he progresses.

Gerold Williams Ii - Bryan, TX, US: How do you see Jacoby Jones doing this season. Before his injury last season it looked like he was developing into a nice wide receiver.

Brooke Bentley: Hi Gerold,
This is going to be an interesting year for Jacoby Jones. He struggled last year with fumbles. Jones fell on the depth chart and was listed as the fifth receiver on the team with Andre Johnson, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis and David Anderson before him. Right now, he's the best punt returner, but he's got his work cut out for him at receiver. He still needs to improve his route running and he's got to get better at holding onto the ball.

David - Harrison, NY, US: As of now, who is most likely to be the Texans #2 tight end?

Brooke Bentley: Hi David,
As of today, it would be Joel Dreessen. Owen Daniels is clearly No. 1. Dreessen knows the playbook, he's caught touchdown passes for this team and he can block. There isn't another tight end on the team that has as complete of a game. Anthony Hill, a fourth-round draft pick, looks like he could contribute right away as a blocking tight end. And James Casey, a fifth-round pick, can do it all. Casey's more of a receiver, but he's got the size and work ethic to become a solid blocker.

ben - spring, TX, US: Does Cato June have any chance of starting at the WILL linebacker position? I think with his experience and knowledge of the position should give him an edge over guys like Diles and Adibi. Also, he was playing the WILL in Indianapolis when he had his best seasons in the league.

Cato June will be competing at WILL against Zac Diles and Xavier Adibi. The Texans signed June to give them depth, but he very well could win the position. The Texans want more speed and durability there. June is up there in years, but he did have a Pro Bowl season with the Colts and he knows what it takes to get to the Super Bowl. If he out plays Adibi and Diles, the position is his.

Kortney - Missouri City, TX, US: We didnt add any DBs expected to make an immediate impact during the draft or in FA, so what are we looking like on the back end. Reeves played well last year, but Bennett seemed to have a sophmore slump after an impressive rookie campaign. With his size, could we be looking to try him at FS?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Kortney,
You make a good point about the situation at DB. The Texans didn't add an immediate impact player because they are banking on Dunta Robinson to have a career year and for Fred Bennett to step up in year three. Bennett has the size and the range to be a physical player at corner, and I don't see him moving to safety. Jaq Reeves had a better year in 2008 than a lot of people gave him credit for and finished with four interceptions, but he has to get out of the habit of just facing his receiver and not turning to make a play on the ball. I do think it will be interesting to see how fourth-round draft pick Glover Quinn develops. At 5-11, 200 pounds, he looks big enough to play safety.

raven casey - Richmond, TX, US: is it true if u dont make the playoffs it layoffs for the coaching staff

Brooke Bentley: Hi Casey,
The Texans are a trendy pick this year as a team that can make a splash in the playoffs. The expectations are high in Reliant Stadium, and the pressure is on the coaches to make sure the team lives up to those expectations. But I can't make a blanket statement like "playoffs or pink slips" - too much happens during the course of an NFL season to make that claim. Let's just say that the pressure is on, and if the team doesn't make the playoffs heads could roll.

ben - spring, TX, US: Will Travis Johnson automatically be the starter next to Okoye this season? I'm hoping that Shaun Cody or Deljuan Robinson can push him for that 2nd DT starting spot.

Travis Johnson does NOT have the nod as the starting D-tackle. In fact, Johnson didn't practice today because of an injury. Watch for Shaun Cody and DelJuan to battle for starting honors. DelJuan started several games last season when Amobi Okoye was injured and the coaches like his work ethic and play against the run. Cody is more of a pass-rushing D-tackle, but he will get the chance to compete for the job.

stephen gibson - spring, TX, US: why don't the texans give gram harrell a shot at backup qb?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Stephen,
The Texans are taking three quarterbacks into OTAs: Matt Schaub, Dan Orlovsky and Alex Brink. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said that the team didn't draft or sign another QB because they want to get Brink reps and see what they have in him. So I think they will go with Brink during the offseason workouts and then assess the situation before training camp.

ben - spring, TX, US: how do the rookies look in the OTAs?

A lot of these rookies look that part of pros right away. Brian Cushing was the biggest linebacker on the field by far. The Texans aren't tackling right now, but Cushing looked like he wanted to lay some people out. He's going to have to work on his technique and learn the defensive schemes, but the learning curve should be steep for him. Third-round draft pick Antoine Caldwell was holding his own at center. He can play both guard or center, but assistant head coach Alex Gibbs worked him hard at center. Caldwell is sharp and he should pick up the zone scheme quickly. Tight end Anthony Hill has long arms and looks like he could develop into a good blocker. James Casey layed out to make a catch that was impressive. Defensive end Connor Barwin wasn't there because he is in school until June13.

Tim OBriant - Cypress, TX, US: The Texans seem overloaded at LB. Who stands out and who stands to lose out?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Tim,
There are 2 definite starters at LB: DeMeco Ryans (Mike) and Brian Cushing (strongside). Last season, Zac Diles started at SAM until he suffered a season-ending leg injury in Novemeber. He is going to move to the weakside and compete against Xavier Adibi. Really, those two have the most to lose, since both were starters for stretches in 2008. Cato June gives the Texans depth at both the WILL and SAM spots ans Kevin Bentley can back up Ryans.

traci - LEAGUE CITY, TX, US: any news on DUNTA?????????

Brooke Bentley: Hi Traci,
There is no news on Dunta Robinson's contract negotiations with the team. Dunta didn't come to OTAs, which are not mandatory workouts. But coach Gary Kubiak said that Dunta assured him that he will be at the first mandatory workout, which are mini-camps in the middle of June. Linebacker DeMeco Ryans said after practice that he wanted to call Dunta and let him know that practice went well and they are looking forward to getting him back. It seems like Dunta has the support of his teammates and they are counting on him to show up for mini-camps.

Javier - Houston, TX, US: Hello Brooke my question to you is if coach Gary Kubiak does not take the texans to the playoffs this upcoming season. do you think he will be on the hot seat to keep his job when the 2009 season is over.

Brooke Bentley: Hi Javier,
If the Texans don't make the playoffs this year, I think everyone in Reliant Stadium will be on the hot seat. Even the team's cafeteria crew. Owner Bob McNair is setting the bar at playoffs this year and he doesn't want to be let down.

Carmen Hix - Friendswood, TX, US: I heard that one of the new draftees to the Texans went to High School at Clearbrook HS in Friendswood. Which one?

Brooke Bentley: Hi Carmen,
It's tight end Anthony Hill. The Texans drafted him in the fourth round out of NC State and he could get playing time right away as a blocking tight end.

Kortney - Missouri City, TX, US: With all the depth that we now have add OLB since we've added Cato June and Brian Cushing, it should be interesting to see where everyone is lining up. Are Cush and Diles just battling for SLB or is Diles going to move over and play WLB.

Brooke Bentley: The Texans just walked off the field after their first practice during organized team activities (OTAs). These non-mandatory workouts run on May 18-21, May 26-28, June 1-4 and June 9-11 and they give coaches a chance to evaluate the team, especially the rookies and new free agents, before training camp. I wrote about the five big questions that the Texans have going into OTAs. After Day 1, you already could see that two of the biggest storyline will be: Who will start at weakside LB and who will be the backup to RB Steve Slaton. Without further ado, let's dive into it.
Hi Kortney,
The competition at LB started the moment the Texans drafted Brian Cushing No. 15 overall. D-coordinator Frank Bush wants Cushing starting at the strongside. There's going to be a lot expected of him right away. Last year, Zac Diles moved from backup MIKE to SAM. Now, he is working out on the weakside and competing against Xavier Adibi, who won a starting spot there last season. Bush told me he felt like Diles was the most consistent player on defense until he was injured last November. I think Diles will find his way on the field. Cato June has played both the SAM and WILL positions and will provide depth. Also, look for Kevin Bentley to back up DeMeco Ryans at middle linebacker.

BSofA04
05-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Would be better if Dunta Robinson got his ass to OTA's.

Dr. Gonzo
05-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Dunta is a whiny little bitch. He shouldn't get anything for acting this way. He was a damn good CB but never elite. He doesn't deserve elite money, especially after that injury. He turned down a good contract that would've paid him something like 23 million guaranteed and he thinks he's worth more than that.

I think they should trade him for anything.

ATRAIN
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Dunta is a whiny little bitch. He shouldn't get anything for acting this way. He was a damn good CB but never elite. He doesn't deserve elite money, especially after that injury. He turned down a good contract that would've paid him something like 23 million guaranteed and he thinks he's worth more than that.

I think they should trade him for anything.

Did Ryans or Daniels get their contracts yet?

Dr. Gonzo
05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
They haven't gotten contracts but they showed up to OTAs.

benefactor
05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the chat transcript Steven. :tu

I don't understand why Dunta is acting like this. He had a near career ending knee injury...and at the very least it will be career altering. Being an ass makes no sense if he steps back and takes a look at the situation from every angle.

Dr. Gonzo
05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6432377.html

Kubiak disappointed by Johnson’s absence

Injuries are already keeping Antonio Smith, Chester Pitts and Travis Johnson from participating in the start of organized team activities.
Smith, the Texans’ top free agent signing in the offseason, has been hampered by a hamstring injury for two weeks. He likely will return to the field before OTAs end.
Pitts may miss the entire session of OTAs after having his elbows “cleaned out,” said coach Gary Kubiak.
Johnson’s absence was the one Kubiak was the least specific about. Johnson has watched practice the past two days and then done some conditioning afterward.
“Travis was doing fine throughout the offseason,” Kubiak said. “Last week, he started on a few different things, so he’s got to catch up physically .
“It’s not good. He needs to be out there. He needs to be out there helping the football team, and he’s got a long, long way to go as a player. But he’s got issues, so we’ll get the issues solved and then we’ll let him get out there .”

Dr. Gonzo
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I think Travis Johnson needs to be traded for whatever they can get. Send him out with Dunta. He never lived up to his high draft pick and will never live up to it. I think Dejuan Robinson, Bulman, Cody and Okoye will be a nice DT rotation.

Dr. Gonzo
06-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Commentary: Just minicamp, but it’s never too early to impress

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6485737.html

It was not football. It was not even football practice. That’s right —we’re not even talking about practice.
It was a minicamp. Pretty much a rookie camp.
Veterans had the option of sitting out the Texans’ three-day mandatory camp this week, and most chose to do just that. It’s June.
The next time (roughly six weeks from now) the Texans take to the practice fields, we will be talking about real practice.
That’s when we’ll learn if Arian Foster, the good-looking football player, is a good football player.
But in June, the rookie free agent from Tennessee, who is hoping to earn a spot as a reserve running back with the Texans, looks like a player.
At 6-1, 225 pounds, Foster has the look of someone you want to give the ball to.
In OTAs, Foster got a solid head start on fellow undrafted free agent Jeremiah Johnson, who didn’t join the team until this week because his semester at Oregon was in session.
But again, it’s June.
“We’re not in pads, so it’s hard to tell,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said of the newcomers. “You find out a lot about backs when you put the pads on, start picking up blitzes and taking that pounding every day.”
That should be fun to watch. The Texans are in good shape at the top with Steve Slaton looking to improve on a wonderful rookie season. The other tailbacks on the depth chart might as well wear question marks on their jerseys.

Position could be key

We make more of this backup position than it warrants. That we can talk about their backups is a sign the Texans have improved. Still, the position could become important.
Slaton has a scat-back quality that could stand a big-back complement. Not to mention he is more likely to wear down during the season if he doesn’t have a competent reserve. (Last season, he had more than twice as many carries as all the other running backs on the roster.)
Can Foster be that new power supply?
Chris Brown (6-3, 234) has an impressive big-back look, too, but he spent last season on injured reserve. Health has almost always been an issue with the seven-year veteran, who is in his second season with the Texans.
Ryan Moats (5-8, 208) and Johnson (5-9, 210) are smaller. Moats was solid as a reserve late last season — and with his special teams contribution should earn a roster spot — but he doesn’t scare anyone. Scouts wonder if Johnson has the burst to be effective at this level.
There were questions about Foster as well. He was slowed by injuries (he has had shoulder and knee surgeries), and though he isn’t a fumbler, he had a couple of costly drops in his career with the Vols. But he is a smart player and could be a good fit with the Texans.
“It’s a one-cut system, and I’m a one-cut back,” Foster said. “I feel like I can compete with any back in this league.”
Reading just the words, you might think Foster sounds a bit immodest, but that was hardly the tone. His tone was more of a smart young man looking to make it in the NFL.
He had better believe he can do it. NFL teams waste little time on undrafted rookies who don’t shine.
That is why it is interesting that running backs coach Chick Harris spent so much time with Foster during the Texans’ OTAs the past couple of weeks.

Wanted: Tough minds

After Wednesday’s work-out — long after the other players had left the field — Harris talked at length to Foster. During a spread offense session, Foster dropped a dump-off pass.
“I haven’t dropped a wide-open pass since probably early in my college years, if then, but I guess that happens,” Foster said. “(Harris) was talking to me about letting the mistakes go and focusing on the next assignment. It’s a tough league. You have to have a tough mentality.”
We’ll see how tough his mentality is when the Texans get to training camp. He says he’ll be ready.
“Some guys will play golf between now and then; some will be focusing on their craft. That’s what I‘ll be doing,” Foster said. “I’m trying to make it. I don’t think I can waste a day or a snap.”

BSofA04
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
http://www.sports-collectibles-store.com/media/houoilers81-96.jpg A real Houston team, not the Cows.
Them and their snake bitten franchise can stay in Possum Hollar. Memories were awesome, but they're always going to disappoint.

ATRAIN
06-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Them and their snake bitten franchise can stay in Possum Hollar. Memories were awesome, but they're always going to disappoint.

I heard that the Tits got permission to use the Oilers throwback this year!!! MOTHER FUCKERS!!!:ihit

Artest93
06-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I heard that the Tits got permission to use the Oilers throwback this year!!! MOTHER FUCKERS!!!:ihit

The first game they wear them against THE BILLS :rolleyes

They wear them 2 more times, anyway rumor has it that Bud Adams offered Bob Mcnair the rights to the Oilers name before he started the Texans franchise in exchange for 10 million dollars

ATRAIN
07-07-2009, 01:00 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-9-29/AFC-s-breakout-players.html

AFC's breakout players

The Houston Texans believe a sturdy, rugged linebacker who could rush the passer and drop into coverage would have made a big difference for them in 2008.

They believe they've added him to the mix in 2009, and I do too. Thus the selection of Brian Cushing as the breakout candidate for the AFC South.

From strongside linebacker, where he should be able to fight off or stick with a tight end, Cushing should be able to help the defensive line and the secondary. The defensive backfield didn't get any big additions, but the Texans seem to think the group will be fine with the improvements on the front that result from the insertion of Cushing and free-agent lineman Antonio Smith.

New defensive coordinator Frank Bush has promised a more aggressive style, and the 6-foot-2, 243-pound Cushing should fit it with his intensity and passion. They expect he can help harass Peyton Manning, Kerry Collins and David Garrard while helping contain tight ends such as Dallas Clark, Bo Scaife and Marcedes Lewis.

"I haven't seen him in the pads yet, but I just feel like he's going to be that hard-nosed, tough, physical guy doing a lot of punishing out there," middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans said at the team's minicamp in June. "I'm looking forward to him bringing that aspect of the game. I think he has the natural ability to rush off the edge and I'm just eager to see him in game-time action and see how it goes."

Keep in mind, please, that we steered clear of players such as Colts receiver Anthony Gonzalez, who had 57 catches last season, Titans receiver Nate Washington, who had 40 for Pittsburgh, and Texans defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, who was strong as a rookie in 2007 but struggled last year with an ankle injury. They and others are too established to be considered possibilities as breakout candidates.

Cushing was drafted 15th overall out of USC, ahead of college teammate Clay Matthews, also a linebacker.

Coach Gary Kubiak said the team's top pick was a starter as soon as he got off the bus. But even if he's not an impact player right away, he'll have plenty of time to make his mark with the Texans.

Dr. Gonzo
07-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm psyched about Cushing on the field but I can never be a fan of his. He looks way too much like a big douchebag for me. I think he is going to be a stud though.

ATRAIN
07-07-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm psyched about Cushing on the field but I can never be a fan of his. He looks way too much like a big douchebag for me. I think he is going to be a stud though.

You know you already have a Cushing jersey

Dr. Gonzo
07-07-2009, 01:33 PM
No way dude. I can't afford NFL jerseys. If I do get a Texans jersey it will be a Chester Pitts jersey.

ATRAIN
07-07-2009, 01:42 PM
No way dude. I can't afford NFL jerseys. If I do get a Texans jersey it will be a Chester Pitts jersey.

Nice

I always thought it was funny for all the guys that had carr jerseys and they changed it to Schaub hahaha. I want a Mario Battle Red.

BSofA04
07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Go to any Ross store and you'll find a Texans jersey for like $20. I got my battle red AJ jersey at the Ross on Bandera and 1604. Much cheaper than anywhere else.

benefactor
07-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Nice

I always thought it was funny for all the guys that had carr jerseys and they changed it to Schaub hahaha. I want a Mario Battle Red.
Just do what I did...you can't go wrong. The wife got if for me two Christmases ago. It is my crown jewel.

https://www.ecoupons.com/show_image.php?n=http://www.fansedge.com%2FImages%2FProduct%2F31-75%2F31-75082-F.jpg

IronMexican
07-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Man, Oiler jerseys were sick. Texans aren't bad. They just can't really compete with the Oilers jerseys.

djohn2oo8
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Just do what I did...you can't go wrong. The wife got if for me two Christmases ago. It is my crown jewel.

https://www.ecoupons.com/show_image.php?n=http://www.fansedge.com%2FImages%2FProduct%2F31-75%2F31-75082-F.jpg

I feel you on that one, I got that same jersey, just in white

djohn2oo8
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Man, Oiler jerseys were sick. Texans aren't bad. They just can't really compete with the Oilers jerseys.

I know, It's time for the Texans to change theirs

LOL texans
07-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Reading through this thread, don't you all feel like you are overrating your team....I think you are. Shaub sucks balls, Slaton cannot carry an entire load the whole season. Mario is overrated, the defense sucks, Owen Daniles wants to be the highest paid TE in the league while being slightly above average at best, Dunta Robinson doesn't want to play for you all and wont sign a contract, the secondary blows more than Shaub blows, and Andre Johnson can't wait for his contract to end so he can get the hell outta dodge.

I don't know, just trying to help you all see the light. No thanks necessary, I do what I can to help : )

ATRAIN
07-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Reading through this thread, don't you all feel like you are overrating your team....I think you are. Shaub sucks balls, Slaton cannot carry an entire load the whole season. Mario is overrated, the defense sucks, Owen Daniles wants to be the highest paid TE in the league while being slightly above average at best, Dunta Robinson doesn't want to play for you all and wont sign a contract, the secondary blows more than Shaub blows, and Andre Johnson can't wait for his contract to end so he can get the hell outta dodge.

I don't know, just trying to help you all see the light. No thanks necessary, I do what I can to help : )

Better than the raiders Stretch

LOL texans
07-20-2009, 10:01 AM
The raiders are on their way bud, but thats neither here nor there,this is a texans thread, so lets try and keep the topic texans, okay. We would all appreciate you doing that for us and going off on tangents.

Jeez, some people.

Dr. Gonzo
07-20-2009, 10:16 AM
lol atrain
lol mma

James Ford
07-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Kubiak can do with James Casey, he can be a wildcard in this offense that defenses are going to have to worry about. I have seen him play in person a couple of times, he is a baller.

benefactor
08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houston-Texans-Examiner~y2009m7d31-Texans-training-camp-report-Day-1

* Practice started with defensive unit walk-throughs on Field 1 (the field closest to the bleachers). QBs and WRs worked on Field 2 while the Hogs worked in their corner of paradise on the north end of Fields 2 and 3. Fans are able to stand beyond the endzones of Field 1 and 2, or sit in the bleachers along the east sideline of Field 1 (where the photos above were taken).

* Brice McCain won the 'first on the field' award for Day 1. He was accompanied by Glover Quin, Matterral Richardson, and John Busing.

* Troy Nolan and John Busing stood out size-wise among the safeties (similar to Brandon Harrison). We'll see if they can cover and run.

* Individual unit walkthroughs were followed by the 'movement' warm-up routine that was put in place last season. I saw no organized stretching after practice.

* Johnny Holland put the linebackers through agility drills along the lines of three-cone drills.

* Frank Bush had the look of a coordinator as he did his MBWA's (managing by walking around) among the defensive units.

* The Hogs are back in their little corner of heaven, trying to out-finesse and out muscle one another. Duane Brown appears to be ripped up compared to this time a year ago.

* David Gibbs tossed long balls to his DBs in simulated coverage. The first ooh-ahh of the day went to David Pittman who made a great one handed snag of a ball well over his head.

* The first groans came when Busing and Nolan consecutively brick-handed balls on simulated 10 yard outs thrown by Gibbs.

* The first look at the first team defense in a unit walk-through on Field 1 had Antonio Smith, Deljuan Robinson, Amobi Okoye, and Mario on the line with Chaun Thompson at Sam, DeMeco at Mike and Diles at Will. Smith and Mario flip flopped depending on offensive set.

* Tim Bulman and Shaun Cody shared second team reps behind Amobi.

* Second team LBs were Cato June at Sam (surprise), Kevin Bentley in the middle and Adibi at the Will.

* Barber and Harrison were second team safeties.

* The RB pecking order appears to be Slaton, Moats, Chris Brown, and Foster.

* Orlovsky throws a pretty tight ball. Strong arm. There's tools in that toolbox. It will be interesting to see if Kubiak can get the consistency he wants out of the U-Conn kid.

* Rex looks lost, but remember he's working with third stringers and throwing outs to Boomer Grigsby.

* Sighted: Some guy wearing a Favre Jets jersey and cap. When will it end?

* Connor Barwin made his dramatic entrance about 40 minutes into practice.

* First team offense and defense spent a lot of time running 7 on 7. Andre Johnson literally left Jacques Reeves in the dirt on a 50 yard bomb/TD.

* Heard in the crowd: "Mario just has this other gear" as he blew by Eric Winston and Duane Brown on consecutive pass rushes. Yes, Mario looked like an All Pro today.

* Heard in the crowd II: "He's a lot quicker than I thought" as fans watched Arian Foster take a screen down the far sideline.

* Not heard: Bill Kollar. I was waiting for something Richard Smith-like out of him but never really heard him over the curious soundtrack which featured Michael Jackson, Queen and The Who. Same with David Gibbs. He appears to be more of a teacher and less of a screamer than his predecessor Jon Hoke.

* Unfortunately, backup running back Clifton Dawson suffered what appeared to be a serious knee/leg injury. He was in a short pattern and went down without contact - looked like a knee giving way as he made a cut.

* The first team punter today was a Juggs machine operated by Kris Brown. Obviously they are saving Matt Turk's old leg reps.

* Jacoby, David Anderson and Andre Davis fielded punts.

* The practice ended after full team 11 on 11.

benefactor
08-01-2009, 10:57 AM
First team offense and defense spent a lot of time running 7 on 7. Andre Johnson literally left Jacques Reeves in the dirt on a 50 yard bomb/TD.

:lmao :bang

James Ford
08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I heard Cushing just got signed and is on his way back according to the chron.com I guess they plug him in at starting Sam.

benefactor
08-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah...they mentioned it in the article.

LOL texans
08-01-2009, 12:06 PM
You all's secondary blows ass.

lol texans

GuerillaBlack
08-01-2009, 12:41 PM

Schaub does not suck. He just has had freak injuries these past two years. Three different players were fined for their hits on Schaub. He doesn't get those hits, the dude will pass for over 4,000 yards and 25+ TDs this season. Slaton can't carry the load, you're right, but the Texans have gotten a number two back that will get 10 carries a game (around there). Arian Foster is that back. Dude looked great yesterday. Mario is not overrated at all. Nothing needs to be said about him. He's a beast. Owen Daniels' situation is fine as of now. Dunta Robinson has disappointed the entire fanbase with this crap that he is pulling. Hopefully he gets his act together. He needs to realize he is not the elite CB he thinks he is, and settle for the contract the Texans were offering him.

LOL texans
08-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Schaub does not suck. He just has had freak injuries these past two years. Three different players were fined for their hits on Schaub. He doesn't get those hits, the dude will pass for over 4,000 yards and 25+ TDs this season. Slaton can't carry the load, you're right, but the Texans have gotten a number two back that will get 10 carries a game (around there). Arian Foster is that back. Dude looked great yesterday. Mario is not overrated at all. Nothing needs to be said about him. He's a beast. Owen Daniels' situation is fine as of now. Dunta Robinson has disappointed the entire fanbase with this crap that he is pulling. Hopefully he gets his act together. He needs to realize he is not the elite CB he thinks he is, and settle for the contract the Texans were offering him.

Lets stay away from the injury excuse. I use cold hard facts in my assesment of Shaub, like his abysmal effort in the redzone. Werent you all like ranked 32 in redzone efficiancy or something. Mario is not a beast. Hes an above average starter, thats about it. Nothing special there.

BSofA04
08-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Lets stay away from the injury excuse. I use cold hard facts in my assesment of Shaub, like his abysmal effort in the redzone. Werent you all like ranked 32 in redzone efficiancy or something. Mario is not a beast. Hes an above average starter, thats about it. Nothing special there.
I supposed 30 sacks the past three years happens by chance. :rolleyes I believe that only two other players have more sacks the past three years than Mario.

You don't have to like the Texans, but don't say things that make you look dumb.

Spursfan092120
08-02-2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/7/784916/finding-the-winning-factor

Try 12th in Red Zone efficiency. :rolleyes
And Mario is a monster...one of the best LBs at getting to the QB in the league.

Dr. Gonzo
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
lol baited by trolls

Hi Stretch!

Dr. Gonzo
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/7/784916/finding-the-winning-factor

Try 12th in Red Zone efficiency. :rolleyes
And Mario is a monster...one of the best LBs at getting to the QB in the league.

Mario isn't a linebacker stupid.

Spursfan092120
08-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Mario isn't a linebacker stupid.
LMAO..my bad...I was just thinking about DWare, and for some reason had LBs on the brain...He's a DE...I know...just typing stupid.

SpuronyourFace
08-02-2009, 11:15 PM
LMAO..my bad...I was just thinking about DWare, and for some reason had LBs on the brain...He's a DE...I know...just typing stupid.

DWare, now there is a beast of a defensive player right there friends!

Mario is a pretty good player by the way. He should have another solid year. I like the development of the texans D so far. A couple of more drafts heavy on the D, or some defensive FA landings, and they'll take that division over.

djohn2oo8
08-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Thank God Cushing finally cut his hair

http://www.chron.com/photos/2009/08/03/17753021/260xStory.jpg

djohn2oo8
08-03-2009, 06:51 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/brian-cushing-720x350.jpg

GuerillaBlack
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
He would have done it anyway. Houston heat.

Dr. Gonzo
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/brian-cushing-720x350.jpg

He looks a little crazy. Like Private Pile crazy. I like that.

Dr. Gonzo
08-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Anyone know if they will show the game on Saturday here in SA?

ATRAIN
08-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Anyone know if they will show the game on Saturday here in SA?

I was wondering the same about Austin.

ATRAIN
08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I was wondering the same about Austin.

I checked TVguide.com and Austin is going to show the game on the CW!!!! SWEET!!!