PDA

View Full Version : Bynum out 8-12 weeks

tlongII
02-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Torn MCL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txlakersbynumhurt&prov=st&type=lgns

EL SEGUNDO, CALIFORNIA (TICKER) —Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum has a torn right MCL and will be sidelined eight to 12 weeks, the team announced Monday.

Bynum suffered the injury in the first quarter of Saturday’s victory over the Memphis Grizzlies.

The 7-foot center had his knee examined Sunday in New York but, according to the Los Angeles Times, Dr. David Altchek was out of town and has not had a chance to review the MRI.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Is 8-12 weeks standard for a torn MCl? Does that require surgery?

02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
he's young, he'll recover quickly.

tlongII
02-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Is 8-12 weeks standard for a torn MCl? Does that require surgery?

A torn MCL does not necessarily require surgery.

Red Hawk #21
02-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Hey Lakers fans remember this " We're gunna break the Bulls 72 wins" and "70 win exctasy". Whatever happened to that?

timvp
02-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Torn MCL isn't very severe compared to a torn ACL. There are ~11 weeks until the playoffs start so chances are he'll be back by then.

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
About what I expected

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Sucks for the LA fans but at least your sports weekend wasn't nearly as crappy as Arizona's.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Much better than and ACL tear. He should be able to get back in shape in time for the P.O's.

Pistonfan1
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Lakers may be okay but their lack of depth for bigman is going to bite them in the ass. Powell/Mihm are worthless scrubs. They should of kept Turiaf. This was the last guy they could afford to lose due to their shitty bigman depth.

DAF86
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Much better than and ACL tear. He should be able to get back in shape in time for the P.O's.

I don't expect him to play like he was doing it before the injury once he comes back, the rest of the west gets a mayor break IMO.

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Lakers may be okay but their lack of depth for bigman is going to bite them in the ass. Powell/Mihm are worthless scrubs. They should of kept Turiaf. This was the last guy they could afford to lose due to their shitty bigman depth.

Powell isn't a scrub.

Banzai
02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey Lakers fans remember this " We're gunna break the Bulls 72 wins" and "70 win exctasy". Whatever happened to that?
not all Laker fans...I sure as hell didn't say that.

Pistonfan1
Powell isn't a scrub.

Yeah he is. The guy is worthless. You should have kept Turiaf.

sribb43
Powell isn't a scrub.

yes he is

Banzai
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Sucks for the LA fans but at least your sports weekend wasn't nearly as crappy as Arizona's.

I must say Fitzgerald is awesome.:toast Had Arizona got the touchdown to end the half they probably would have won...amazing what an interception can do.

sribb43
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
he's young, he'll recover quickly.

heard alot of that last year and his return date keep getting pushed back multiple times until they finally did surgery

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Mihm, before he got hurt, was playing pretty well. He is a nice athlete and a decent defender. He would help the Spurs, I know that much.

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Powell has a better mid-range game, but doesn't bring the heart Turiaf brought.

Pistonfan1
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Mihm, before he got hurt, was playing pretty well. He is a nice athlete and a decent defender. He would help the Spurs, I know that much.

Mihm cant even get rotation minutes. The guy is a scrub as well. This was one weakness that will be a glaring one now that Bynum is hurt.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I must say Fitzgerald is awesome.:toast Had Arizona got the touchdown to end the half they probably would have won...amazing what an interception can do.

They def. would have won their passing game was picking Pittsburg apart oh well I get to meet Fitz in a few weeks which should be cool but I feel really bad for him Warner went through one of his annoying, "I forgot Larry Fitzgerald plays for the Cardinals" phases for the entire 1st half," when he was open countless amounts of times. Poor guy deserved to win the game and win superbowl MVP for probably the best playoff performance by a receiver in NFL history.

ClingingMars
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM

that won't last, the only shots he made in the game in SA were WIDE OPEN because no one knew he could make them

turiaf for president
02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
i miss turiaf but lakers will be fine. as long as drew comes back for the playoffs all's well

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I dont think Bynum will be back...and if he does, he wont be the same.

turiaf for president
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
I HOPE Bynum wont be back...and if he does, I HOPE he wont be the same.

fixed =D

maybe he doesnt come back, lakers were able to get within 2 games without him and ariza last year. if they play smart i dont think a championship this year is out of the question. its just alot more difficult

djohn2oo8
02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
What happened to just a sprained knee??? At least this time he might be able to play in playoffs

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Sprained knee was the initial with the X-ray. All that shows is the bones. Now, the MRI is out.

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
fixed =D

maybe he doesnt come back, lakers were able to get within 2 games without him and ariza last year. if they play smart i dont think a championship this year is out of the question. its just alot more difficult

Im calling it as i see it. They said the same thing last year.."Hell be back for the playoffs"...."Hell be back for the 1st round"....."Hell be back for the 2nd round".....

Im not fully convinced he will be 100% even if he does come back. Two bad knees is never a good thing.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Is that 8-12 weeks before he can start rehabbing? Or is this total including the time it would take to rehab?

turiaf for president
02-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Im calling it as i see it. They said the same thing last year.."Hell be back for the playoffs"...."Hell be back for the 1st round"....."Hell be back for the 2nd round".....

Im not fully convinced he will be 100% even if he does come back. Two bad knees is never a good thing.

last year he dislocated his knee and had sufferred a bone bruise.

MCL's are bad but not nearly as bad as an ACL tear. he said he can walk on it already but does have some discomfort. i think he'll be back in april and be in game shape come playoff time in the end of april

J Zone
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Man I feel like throwing up, out for the season again. Hurt against the same piece of shit team..

This guy has the worst fucking luck.

DrHouse
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Andrew Bynum suffered a Grade 2 MCL tear.

Grade II MCL Tear
Grade II injuries are also considered incomplete tears of the MCL. These patients may complain of instability when attempting to cut or pivot. The pain and swelling is more significant, and usually a period of 3-4 weeks of rest is necessary.

I think 8 weeks is what it's realistically going to take before we see Andrew back, if he is coming back this season.

TheNextGen
02-02-2009, 04:50 PM
he'll be back next season after we beat the Cavs in the Finals. Lebron vs TD part 2!

J Zone
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
A doctor on Ireland's show said the 8-12 weeks estimate was conservative and could be back sooner than that. Depending on the severity of the tearing. Wasn't a complete tear so it's possible..

oh and he needs to fucking sit out every game against Memphis(POS franchise) from now on.

sook
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
i don't think Bynum was the piece anyways, Lakers need to tank and go to the lottery :)

TheNextGen
02-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Grade II MCL Tears - Treatment
When a grade II MCL sprain occurs, use of a hinged knee brace is common in early treatment. Athletes with a grade II injury can return to activity once they are not having pain over the MCL. Patients with a grade II injury often return to sports within 3-4weeks after their injury.

layupdrill
02-02-2009, 05:08 PM
The only thing in question now is if the Lakers can hold off the Spurs and Nuggets for best overall record in the West. Thats the only thing that is important to them. LA would love to get the home court advantage throughout the playoffs, including the Finals, but that doesnt look probable now.

The Finals will go through the East again.

TheNextGen
02-02-2009, 05:12 PM
The only thing in question now is if the Lakers can hold off the Spurs and Nuggets for best overall record in the West. Thats the only thing that is important to them. LA would love to get the home court advantage throughout the playoffs, including the Finals, but that doesnt look probable now.

The Finals will go through the East again.

LA will probably keep Home Court in the West, but i do not think they can get best record against teh East without Bynum. They'll probably lose to Cavs and Celtics this week.

djohn2oo8
02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Man I feel like throwing up, out for the season again. Hurt against the same piece of shit team..

This guy has the worst fucking luck.

That would be Mcgrady

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Spurs are 5 games behind them and now is about when they begin their 2nd half role. Interesting to see if they get home court advantage or if LA maintains the roll they're on. Also it will be interesting to see if/what trades La and San Antonio make.

tlongII
02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
The Blazers are without a doubt the darkhorse now. If we get hot we might just blow through everybody.

hater
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
dang, sucks for the Lakers. I'm sure 8 is very optimistic #. a realistic number probably 10-12 weeks. yeah, I say 50-50 chance he makes playoffs.

even if he doesn't, Lakers have chance to get #1 spot and beat spurs.

sucks for the kid but that is karma on a team that decided to cheat their way to a championship.

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
As much of a homer tlong is, he is right.

scanry
02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
A doctor on Ireland's show said the 8-12 weeks estimate was conservative and could be back sooner than that. Depending on the severity of the tearing. Wasn't a complete tear so it's possible..

oh and he needs to fucking sit out every game against Memphis(POS franchise) from now on.

:lol:lol:lol

The same piss ass franchise that gift wrapped Gasol to you guys. It's not like some one on that team injured Bynum. Kobe fucked up, and it happens.

Bynum is a weird 7 footer. His movement & especially his footwork is ugly as hell. BTW does anyone else notice Bynum's knees, they kind of bulge in.

scanry
02-02-2009, 06:02 PM
The Blazers are without a doubt the darkhorse now. If we get hot we might just blow through everybody.

:lol

The only team that will blow come playoffs in the West is the Blazers. You guys will need more than talent to win in the playoffs.

A well rested Spurs, Lakers, Hornets (at full strength), & Nuggets will whoop your sorry asses out of the playoffs.

gmartin02
02-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Lakers may be okay but their lack of depth for bigman is going to bite them in the ass. Powell/Mihm are worthless scrubs. They should of kept Turiaf. This was the last guy they could afford to lose due to their shitty bigman depth.Turiaf has a great heart, but isn't that good (still another bench scrub).
He is averaging the exact same minutes with GSW as he was on the Lakers last year (18.7 mpg) and his FG% is down (.465 vs. .474), rebounds are down (3.7 vs. 3.9) and points are down (4.6/game vs. 6.6/game) - those are pretty shitty stats for a power forward playing almost 20 minutes a game - Lakers would have had to pay him $4.5 million to match the GSW offer, and they already have 3 other scrubs making that kind of money (Walton, Vujacic, & Radmanovic)

jonnybravo
02-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Your avatar...who is it? It'll help me deal with the injury.

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 07:18 PM

Remember when you used to be a Mavs fan then a Hawks fan when they stopped sucking. then you said "So what I am a bandwagon fan" then you called Hornets fans bandwagon fans?

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 07:23 PM
where are yall getting that it is a partial tear?

DrHouse
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
where are yall getting that it is a partial tear?

It's a Grade II MCL tear from what I've heard and read.

Grade III would be a complete tear and rupture of the MCL and would mean Bynum is out for the season.

Internally the Lakers seem optimistic that Bynum can make it back in 8 weeks. The normal recovery time is 4-6 weeks for a Grade II tear, so 8-12 is a very cautious prediction. I believe Matt Bonner suffered a similar MCL tear and was out 5 weeks before returning.

The Lakers are very fortunate it's only a Grade II tear and nothing else. This could have been much worse.

Spur-Addict
02-02-2009, 08:35 PM
6-8 Max. I don't trust anything they say.

DrHouse
02-02-2009, 08:37 PM
^One can only hope.

With Bynum you never know. He's not exactly a fast healer. That's why I'm cautiously optimistic.

If we start hearing about Bynum's recovery being setback a week here and there he's done.

m33p0
02-02-2009, 10:03 PM
yeah, blazers blow big time.

sook
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Kobe can take on the offensive load, words can not describe him as a player. Nobody should be fooled into thinking he's anything but the best player in the nBA

Killakobe81
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Diasgree lots of hear not as much energy though and shot-blocking great rebounder you will see if he gets minutes great well maybe more like good mid range jumper

Killakobe81
02-02-2009, 10:49 PM
yeah, blazers blow big time.

Blazers and blow flows together so nice ...

duncan228
02-03-2009, 02:04 AM
The latest, forgive me if it's already in here and I missed it. :)

Bynum has torn MCL, out 8-12 weeks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txlakersbynumhurt&prov=st&type=lgns)

The Los Angeles Lakers once again will have to make do without Andrew Bynum.

The Lakers’ worst fear was confirmed Monday when Bynum was diagnosed with a torn MCL in his right knee, an injury that could sideline the star center for the remainder of the regular season and into the playoffs.

Bynum suffered the injury, which the Lakers initially termed as a sprained knee, in Saturday’s victory over Memphis and underwent an MRI the following day at New York’s Hospital for Special Surgery.

The 7-foot Bynum was examined Monday by team physician Dr. David Altchek, who stated that the 21-year-old will miss between eight and 12 weeks. The Lakers will complete their regular season in just over 10 weeks.

“Well … we’re going to try to put it into perspective,” Lakers forward Lamar Odom said. “It’s going to be a little harder now without ‘Drew. He’s going to be missed. We have to continue to get better without him. We’re just going to hold it down until he comes back.”

Bynum, one of the NBA’s top young centers, missed the final 46 regular-season games in 2007-08 due to a left knee injury. He also was sidelined for the entire postseason as the Lakers were defeated by the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals.

The long-term absence of Bynum could prove devastating for the Lakers (37-9), who own the league’s second-best record and once again are vying for the top overall seed and home-court advantage in the Western Conference playoffs.

Widely perceived as a soft team, the Lakers have benefited from the interior presence of Bynum, who has averaged 14.0 points, 8.2 rebounds and a team-leading 1.9 blocks in 46 contests this season.

“He was playing as well as anybody in the NBA, as far as what he was doing defensively, his presence, scoring, rebounding and dominating the middle,” Odom said. “He was playing like a true center.”

Bynum had been one of the NBA’s most productive big men of late, averaging 26.2 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks in the five games prior to Saturday’s 115-98 rout of the Grizzlies.

But that hot streak came to an abrupt end when the 285-pound Bynum was hurt while crashing into teammate Kobe Bryant just over five minutes into the contest.

“We know we’re going to miss his presence, his rebounding ability, but this is a very capable team,” head coach Phil Jackson told the Orange County Register.

Bryant said during Monday’s shootaround that the Lakers still are talented enough to win an NBA title without Bynum.

“There’s been plenty of teams who lost in the Finals that go back and win the next year,” Bryant said. “I think having Andrew in the lineup makes us a very dominant team. (With) him out of the lineup, we’re still a great team. You put him in the mix and it takes us to another level.”

The Lakers will play their first game without Bynum on Tuesday when they visit the New York Knicks. Pau Gasol figures to replace Bynum at center while Lamar Odom, who has been used as a reserve this season, likely will start at power forward.

Bryant said that Gasol’s experience as a starting center last season will prove invaluable this year, especially if the Lakers are without Bynum in the playoffs.

“Pau, it was his first time out of the first round,” Bryant said. “A lot of things were new. I think having a year of experience and also learning a lot from the (NBA Finals), now we take those lessons and apply them to this season.”

ElNono
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Here's the thing... Say he can't make it in great/good shape or at all for the 1st round, and the Lakers draw the Suns... Who's going to get Shaq? And don't you think he'll be extra motivated to try to out Kobe?
Man... that would be a great series...

mogrovejo
02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
ElNono Re: Bynum out 8-12 weeks
Here's the thing... Say he can't make it in great/good shape or at all for the 1st round, and the Lakers draw the Suns... Who's going to get Shaq? And don't you think he'll be extra motivated to try to out Kobe?
Man... that would be a great series...

Bynum will be ready for the play-offs. 8-12 weeks is an extremely conservative estimative for a gradeII torn MCL. The Lakers announced this timetable due to last season's debacle, I guess; but Bynum will be back in 6 weeks or so and in good shape for the 1st round.

Anyway, even in the worst case scenario, the Suns can't defend the pick'n'roll. That alone makes them very beatable for every team in the POs, let alone the Lakers. Then they don't have a backup pg, a backup big or a wing defender. Motivated Shaq or not: residual chances of beating a good team in 7 games.