PDA

View Full Version : Bynum out 8-12 weeks

tlongII
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Torn MCL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns

EL SEGUNDO, CALIFORNIA (TICKER) —Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum has a torn right MCL and will be sidelined eight to 12 weeks, the team announced Monday.

Bynum suffered the injury in the first quarter of Saturday’s victory over the Memphis Grizzlies.

The 7-foot center had his knee examined Sunday in New York but, according to the Los Angeles Times, Dr. David Altchek was out of town and has not had a chance to review the MRI.

z0sa
02-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Bynum's knee is made of glass.

jason1301
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
thanks for the update, lets hope he comes back before the playoffs.

ManuTP9
02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
:toast

loveforthegame
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Tough loss for the Lakers.

Dr. Gonzo
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Oden is next

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 03:19 PM
karma is a bitch

4everSpurFan
02-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Tough loss for the Lakers.

+1

hopefully the spurs can take advantage and try to get the 1 spot. We need it if they want any chance at beating L.A. if we get that far in the PO

lebomb
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Yep............he is done. He will always have knee issues. Too bad, looked like he was gonna be a great player.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
He is not done. There have been guys with major knee surgeries (micro-fracture) to come back and do very well.

PDXSpursFan
02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
So he'll be back for the playoffs, out-of-rythms in the 1-2 round, and should be ready for us on the WCF - no excuses :D

Dr. Gonzo
He is not done. There have been guys with major knee surgeries (micro-fracture) to come back and do very well.

Shawn Kemp is one example.

DPG21920
Amare

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh well.

Zarko's Ghost
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Out 8-12 Weeks per Yahoo

phxspurfan
Wow that sucks for him and the Lakers. It always seems to be the ones that don't look bad in the replay.

SenorSpur
I wonder how Gerald Wallace feels after hearing this news.

Karma most certainly IS a bitch.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm unmoved and indifferent to this news, Wallace meant a lot to Bobcats' fans playoff chances with Larry Brown.

Lakers still have Gasol and Kobe, so wgaf.

lebomb
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Not totally done......but with a history of knee injuries.........that will definitely make him play more passive dont you think? You feel he will be the same Bynum when he returns? Maybe......

noob cake
02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Two faulty knee?

Thats not good for his career. Imagine how much care he will have to take now

Good luck to Bynum, bad luck to the Lakers.

FreeMason
02-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Kobe just couldn't take someone else getting in the spot light.

tmtcsc
02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
sucks. I wanted him in there with the Lakers at full strength. Remember the feeling of us beating down the 3 time champs in '03 ? Nothing better. Oh well, they will still be formidable. Maybe he makes it back in time for the playoffs.

it's me
02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
This is manna from heaven for Hillinger.... dude got an excuse to change all his moronic predictions.

Taco
02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Bynum's knee is made of glass.

Sounds like Mahinmi's ankle.:bang

1Parker1
02-02-2009, 04:09 PM
Ehh, it's bad news, but I think he'll still have plenty of time to make it back for the playoffs. Not only that, but even without him in the regular season, Lakers still have a great team and should be able to sustain their #1 seed.

fyatuk
02-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Ehh, it's bad news, but I think he'll still have plenty of time to make it back for the playoffs. Not only that, but even without him in the regular season, Lakers still have a great team and should be able to sustain their #1 seed.

Bynum being gone might cost them a game or two, which could be the difference. I was already sure the gap between Spurs & Lakers in the standings would shrink by the end of the season.

EricB
02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
This loss hurts them more than people think. 1parker1 remember last year when he was only gonna be out 8 weeks? Never came back. Lakers have to plan for the year as if he's done for the year.

Man of Steel
02-02-2009, 04:39 PM
It is sick to enjoy the injury to ANY player.

Sick.

Good luck to AB--a young player with a terrific future in the NBA.

We got pissed when people rejoiced when Tim got injured before the Phoenix playoffs a few years ago and against Detroit a couple of years ago.

We should remember that.

Manufan909
02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Sounds like Mahinmi's ankle.:bang

Yeah. Except for Bynum not needing 8 MRIs before the real problem was found, they're exactly the same.:nope

Donnie Hathaway
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Although it isnt cool to be joyful about this, it does appear to be a huge break for the spurs, and seeing as this is a spurs forum and seeing as how we do have a sour taste in our mouth from last years WCF, its no surpirse why this thread will be hot hot hot.

I do wish andrew bynum to a speedy(well not too speedy) recovery though

benefactor
02-02-2009, 04:48 PM
This could be pretty bad for the Lakers. 10 weeks from today is Apr. 13th, which is the day before their season finale. They really need him back closer to the 8 week mark, which would give him 8 games to get into game shape and get into rhythm for the playoffs. That said, I wish him a speedy recovery.

From our perspective we need to take advantage of this time without Bynum by continuing to win games to try to close the gap. We are only 5 games back and if we can put together a solid second half of the season we could have a shot at the 1 seed.

1usamotorsports.com
02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
When bynum gets back Im sure ian will be in too .

tHe210rObInHoOd
02-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Bynum will be out the rest of the year like last year, but Spurs will still have a tough time with the Lakers in the playoffs unless Ginbili plays like an all-star.

Bruno
02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I wish him a good rehab.

If he is out 8 weeks, he will be able to help significantly Lakers for the playoffs. If he is out 12 weeks, it won't. It's also likely that Lakers have a more precise idea on how long he will be out than just the 8 to 12 weeks diagnostic.

2centsworth
02-02-2009, 05:05 PM
It is sick to enjoy the injury to ANY player.

Sick.

Good luck to AB--a young player with a terrific future in the NBA.

We got pissed when people rejoiced when Tim got injured before the Phoenix playoffs a few years ago and against Detroit a couple of years ago.

We should remember that.

nobody should enjoy it, but there is a sense of justice for what he did to Gerald Wallace.

Brazil
02-02-2009, 05:10 PM
I also wish him a good rehab, I hope to see him again this year, he was playing very well these last weeks.
This is a significant loss for the lakers but even without him they are still the favorites in the West. Now if Lakers make the finals anyway it will be tough for them.

SPURS50
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey Kobe! How my ass taste?

FreeMason
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Drop in the standings and hit them in the 1st round haha

jag
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
sucks. I wanted him in there with the Lakers at full strength. Remember the feeling of us beating down the 3 time champs in '03 ? Nothing better. Oh well, they will still be formidable. Maybe he makes it back in time for the playoffs.

Yes, but i also remember the feeling of '01, '02, '04, and '08.

It's a tough break for Bynum, and you'd never wish that on any player...but i'm not gonna act like it's bad news for the Spurs.

raspsa
02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Suddenly, the Spurs need to upgrade its bigs became a tad less critical..

lrrr
02-02-2009, 05:24 PM
The irony is that if he had been suspended for seriously injuring another player, he wouldn't have been seriously injured.

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I dont see how people are saying the Lakers are still the favorites. We all know the dominant frontcourt of the Lakers was too much for this current Spurs team. With Bynum (probably gone for the season IMO), the Spurs are the favorites to get to the Finals this year.

An healthy Manu,Tim,Tony is too much for Kobe and Pau too handle. Also the Spurs have youth to help them. Dont get me wrong the series will go 6-7 games but i see the Spurs winning.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I dont see how people are saying the Lakers are still the favorites. We all know the dominant frontcourt of the Lakers was too much for this current Spurs team. With Bynum (probably gone for the season IMO), the Spurs are the favorites to get to the Finals this year.

An healthy Manu,Tim,Tony is too much for Kobe and Pau too handle. Also the Spurs have youth to help them. Dont get me wrong the series will go 6-7 games but i see the Spurs winning.

Please explain last year then?

portnoy1
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Out 8-12 Weeks per Yahoo
spurs better take full advantage of this and overtake the lakers now while they are vulnerable.

Spurs Brazil
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
bad news.

I hope he can be back soon

mystargtr34
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM

Mason, Hill, playing 5 on 5 on Offense with Bonner's emergence.

And mostly, the real Manu. Not 12 PPG on 35% Manu.

diego
02-02-2009, 05:38 PM
it's too bad for bynum. this is his career and i cant wish him misery.

but as for the lakers, and their fans... yes, i wish them misery, and am glad they have this injury. how many times did they downplay manu's injury? how many times did they mock us for complaining about the refs? in last years finals they got their asses stomped and all we heard was "if we had bynum", "if the refs didnt let them manhandle us"... this season started and, like every other year, they annointed themselves champs. they suffer from chronic premature ejaculation and once again they've blown their load months too early. I just hope the spurs are the ones to take advantage :ihit

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm unmoved and indifferent to this news, Wallace meant a lot to Bobcats' fans playoff chances with Larry Brown.

Lakers still have Gasol and Kobe, so wgaf.

We give a fuck because Bynum was the guy we couldn't match up on.

As for all you people saying he's done, get a fucking grip. He's 21 for fucksake. Plenty of players have come back from knee injuries - Kidd, Stoudamire, Kenyon Martin just off the top of my head. I really don't understand the attitude of many posters on this board towards injury.

ClingingMars
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM

http://i42.tinypic.com/t8qn4k.jpg

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM

Can't you read? He said: "An healthy Manu,Tim,Tony is too much for Kobe and Pau too handle."

Manu was playing on one leg.

mingus
02-02-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd like to see the Spurs face la w/ a healthy bynum, but in all honesty it's not THAT hard not to feel sorry for them when their team is still capable of beating anybody w/ or w/o him. It's not like w/ the spurs, where if one of their big 3 is out or playing 50% (like manu last year), everything is over.

the way I see it is this pretty much levels the playing field. It negates that bs trade last year w/ memphis.

W/ a heathy manu, a bonner that was better than last years' horry (if he can keep doing what he's doing, but also in big games/crunch time), a way better finley, mason this team is pretty good.

If they can not shoot 5/24 from three land I like there chances against anyone, and that inlcuded La w/ or w/o Bynum.

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Duncan OWNS Gasol. and i can see Bonner staying in front of Odom and see Bowen even get some time on him while Mason guards Kobe for awhile.

Im telling you guys, with Bynum out (while its unfortunate for LA) the playoffs really favor the Spurs now.

hater
02-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Lakers are deep, and have Kobe + Gasol. they still have great chance to beat Spurs. Spurs still have to play a flawless series to get by

whottt
02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Fug

FromWayDowntown
02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Sucks for Bynum. Here's hoping he has a complete recovery.

word
02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Bummer. I hate seeing people hurt. I'd rather beat 'em full strength to see the tears flow with no excuses.

mystargtr34
02-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Duncan OWNS Gasol. and i can see Bonner staying in front of Odom and see Bowen even get some time on him while Mason guards Kobe for awhile.

Im telling you guys, with Bynum out (while its unfortunate for LA) the playoffs really favor the Spurs now.

I think we will see at least 30 MPG from Bowen in a series against LA. Hes the only guy that can remotely slow Kobe. Mase is not the answer. It may look like hes sticking with Kobe, but Kobe elevates and shoots right over the top of him whenever he feels like it and he cant get a hand up past his chin to effect his shot. And when he drives, as soon as Mason bumps him the slightest or lays a finger on him - you will hear the whistle.

Im ok with Mase on Kobe for short stretches, say 10-15 minutes total, but no more. Too small.

Bowen is the answer.

word
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Bynum would be back come playoff time, wouldn't he ?

cool hand
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
keep looking for that big man...........fucking spurs.

timvp
02-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I think the Lakers are being conservative with the 8-to-12 week estimate. Last week, Bynum drew some heat from fans and the media for not meeting the timeline the Lakers set for him. This time, I'm guessing the Lakers gave an ulta conservative timeline to make sure that doesn't happen.

An MCL tear, as long as it isn't completely torn, is usually about a 4 week injury.

word
02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
By the time we met them, with things as they are of course, he'd be back either way. Being they beat us without him I don't see any great advantage for the Spurs.

I just want OUR guys to be healthy. And no broken down planes sitting on the runway for a back to back game 7 to game 1 of the WCF. That was ridiculous.

Creation88
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
ouch. hopefully the Spurs can make up some ground and take home court advantage.

word
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
They have a shot immediate term...Lakers have the Cavs and Boston coming up, after NY.

But we still have our RRT to contend with.

porscha
02-02-2009, 06:42 PM
I wonder how Gerald Wallace feels after hearing this news.

Karma most certainly IS a bitch.

well, is the unfairer selfish Stern would have suspended bynum for even just one game, this would not be happened.
how long will the G.Wallace will be out?
god is watching....stern!

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I think the Lakers are being conservative with the 8-to-12 week estimate. Last week, Bynum drew some heat from fans and the media for not meeting the timeline the Lakers set for him. This time, I'm guessing the Lakers gave an ulta conservative timeline to make sure that doesn't happen.

An MCL tear, as long as it isn't completely torn, is usually about a 4 week injury.

Kobe just said "They can win a championship without Bynum"

sounds to me like its really serious and there is a VERY good chance he might be out the whole season.

peskypesky
02-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Although it isnt cool to be joyful about this, it does appear to be a huge break for the spurs, and seeing as this is a spurs forum and seeing as how we do have a sour taste in our mouth from last years WCF, its no surpirse why this thread will be hot hot hot.

I do wish andrew bynum to a speedy(well not too speedy) recovery though

:toast

The Spurs had to face the Lakers in the WCF with a gimpy Manu, and then had to start the season with no Manu. On top of that, we were missing Tony for a chunk of the season, so I have to hope this balances the playing field a little and helps us gain a little ground on the Lakers. I doubt it'll be enough to let us catch up, but we'll see.

And maybe it's all a bit of karma, not only for the Gerald Wallace injury, but for the very suspect Gasol trade.

timvp
02-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Kobe just said "They can win a championship without Bynum"

sounds to me like its really serious and there is a VERY good chance he might be out the whole season.
Eh. Gasol, Fisher and Odom could retire tomorrow and Kobe would say a championship is well within his grasps.

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Eh. Gasol, Fisher and Odom could retire tomorrow and Kobe would say a championship is well within his grasps.

Nah i think theyre really anticipating the worst. And they get a feeling it might be the end for Andrew.

EricB
02-02-2009, 06:47 PM

An la sports DJ brought up that the injury is severe enough to hold him out the full 12 weeks.

mystargtr34
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Nah i think theyre really anticipating the worst. And they get a feeling it might be the end for Andrew.

Kobe said that before the MRI was released. It looked pretty bad with the way Bynum went down - but he was probably just being Kobe.

I think after last years debacle, id be inclined to agree with timvp and say they were a little more conservative with the prognosis this time around. It puts less pressure on Bynum too.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Can't you read? He said: "An healthy Manu,Tim,Tony is too much for Kobe and Pau too handle."

Manu was playing on one leg.

Can't you not be a dick?

timvp
Nah i think theyre really anticipating the worst. And they get a feeling it might be the end for Andrew.A quote of Kobe being confident doesn't mean anything. That's like finding a quote about rain saying it's wet.

An la sports DJ brought up that the injury is severe enough to hold him out the full 12 weeks.When Bonner tore his MCL, he missed five weeks. And that's playing for Pop, who always gives at least an extra week of recovery cushion.

8-to-12 weeks doesn't make sense unless it's completely torn ... and it doesn't sound like it is.

Thomas82
By the time we met them, with things as they are of course, he'd be back either way. Being they beat us without him I don't see any great advantage for the Spurs.

I just want OUR guys to be healthy. And no broken down planes sitting on the runway for a back to back game 7 to game 1 of the WCF. That was ridiculous.

Yeah, I still can't get over that one. Us getting #5 this year would make that a lot easier to deal with.

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 06:58 PM
A quote of Kobe being confident doesn't mean anything. That's like finding a quote about rain saying it's wet.

My point was how the team is preparing for the loss of Bynum. Kobes confidence is not in question.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Maybe the Spurs win with a healthy Manu last year, that is a big assumption. Just because Manu is healthy does not mean the Spurs are the better team or the favorites, even with Bynum out.

It helps the chances, but by no means automatically catapults the Spurs over the Lakers who did not have Bynum last year with a healthy Ariza this year and Pau playing even better.

timvp
02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
"The Spurs' latest victory, however, came at a cost: Matt Bonner, whose playing time had increased in recent weeks, tore the medial collateral ligament in his left knee early in the second half. Team officials project Bonner to miss anywhere from two to six weeks."A tear in the MCL is similar to a sprained ankle. Out two to three months? Don't buy it.

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Lakers are deep, and have Kobe + Gasol. they still have great chance to beat Spurs. Spurs still have to play a flawless series to get by

timvp
02-02-2009, 07:01 PM
My point was how the team is preparing for the loss of Bynum. Kobes confidence is not in question.What are they doing to prepare for Bynum's loss?

j-money24
02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey Kobe! How my ass taste?

what a douche.

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 07:04 PM
What are they doing to prepare for Bynum's loss?

sheeshhh...

"We can win without Bynum"

Sounds to me like Kobe knows its gonna be really serious. And theres a high chance he can be out for the playoffs.

word
02-02-2009, 07:08 PM
What are they doing to prepare for Bynum's loss?

They've played more without him, than with him the last 18 months so my guess is, not much.

Pelicans78
02-02-2009, 07:08 PM
This sucks. I really feel bad for the Lakers fans. They had a great chance to win it all. They can still win it all, but its a blow. Its not the same feeling watching the Hornets battle them.

SpursFanFirst
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
karma is a bitch

InK
02-02-2009, 07:25 PM
They said the exact same thing about his last years injury as well, didnt they?

DPG21920
02-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Where is everyone getting that it is partially torn?

InK
02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Not totally done......but with a history of knee injuries.........that will definitely make him play more passive dont you think? You feel he will be the same Bynum when he returns? Maybe......

Yeh i agree, there is allways a chance ppl dont come back the same after the surgery. It would be a shame, if his career would be plagued with injuries and operations.

Bruno
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-andrew-bynum3-2009feb03,0,234733.story

He will rest the knee for the next seven to 10 days and will then begin rehabilitating it. Surgery is not required for this type of injury, said Lakers spokesman John Black.

I'm not a knee expert but if he start the rehab 7-10 days after the injury, it looks like it wasn't that bad.

timvp
02-02-2009, 07:36 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-andrew-bynum3-2009feb03,0,234733.story

I'm not a knee expert but if he start the rehab 7-10 after the injury, it looks like it wasn't that bad.Yeah, 7-to-11 weeks of rehab for an injury that keeps him off the knee for a week? Don't buy it.

I'll say he's back by March 15th.

Manufan909
02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
If he's out as long as TP Manu were combined, I hope the Spurs can break even with them, at least.

NRHector
02-02-2009, 08:52 PM

Lakers still have Gasol and Kobe, so wgaf.:tu

exstatic
02-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I disbelieve anything the Lakers say on this. They flat lied to their season tix holders last year.

DrHouse
02-02-2009, 10:16 PM
This injury is decidedly less complicated than the one Andrew sustained last year. Last year it was a combination of a dislocated knee cap and a deep bone bruise. They thought he could rehab the knee without surgery but it turned out there was still debris in the knee causing him pain. He finally had to get arthroscopic surgery to get that removed. Had they done the surgery right away he may have been able to come back during the playoffs.

This time around, from what the Lakers have disclosed, it appears to be only a Grade II MCL tear. These kind of injuries are very common in football and actually the Spur's own Matt Bonner had a similar MCL tear last January. He came back in 5 weeks. The Lakers were cautious with the 8-12 week timeframe, hoping to avoid the backlash that occured last season. Internally it appears most expect him back by 8 weeks, which I think sounds about right assuming there are no further complications.

That being said, the Lakers are still a very good team without Bynum. Don't expect them to fold like a leaf now that he's gone. The Spurs do have a great chance to catch up, but 5-6 games is a pretty good cushion for the Lakers.

DAF86
02-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Seeing an article that says that Karl wants Denver to get the 2nd or 3rd seed to avoid the Lakers till the finals made me think what would be best to the Spurs? (outside of the number one seed of course) And it crossed my mind the thought of beign the 8th seed. I know you're all thinking that I'm fucked up in the head right about now, but give it a thought, is it really that crazy?

To me the only team that the Spurs can lose to in the West are the Lakers, all the others, with or without HCA they should beat handily. And we know we only care about winning it all, to us losing in the first round or in the NBA finals is the same so why don't face the Lakers when our veteran guys are a lot more rested and Bynum may not even be playing (and if he does he'd be a little bit rusty)?

P.S: I put this here 'cause I didn't want to start a thread with a crazy idea that is never going to happen, but I still wanted to share the thought and I didn't know where else to put it.