PDA

View Full Version : 61 points in 36 minutes

sook
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
:wow

Killakobe81
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
that was DAMN impressive and i saw Jordan's 60 it was in OT Kobe is teh greatest scorer of my lifetime not saying he is BETTER than MJ Mj and Magic are the best two PLAYERS but for scoring it's Kobe ...

layupdrill
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Where amazing happens...

DrHouse
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Lets bet on the amount of posts it takes before this thread turns into Kobe vs. MJ.

I got 10.

sook
02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
god damn it, how the hell do Kobe and Gasol play so well together? Their FG%s shot the epitome of efficiency

IronMexican
02-02-2009, 10:21 PM
I got 4 after that post.

Chieflion
02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Is that the record in MSG? Last time someone scored 50 against MSG was LeBron or Rip.

sook
02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Is that the record in MSG?

yesh

lil_penny
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Damn kobe went off

MrChug
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Gotta love that Lakers D!!!!

pauls931
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
What's more amazing is it appears Dantoni is coaching both the Knicks and Suns tonight.

YellowFever
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
god damn it, how the hell do Kobe and Gasol play so well together? Their FG%s shot the epitome of efficiency

When Shaq was in L.A., Kobe really couldn't penetrate the way he wanted (pretty much the problem with Phoenix now) and Gasol has a decent inside/outside game where he doesn't have to be parked in the lane all the time.

It allows Kobe to go inside/outside whenever he feels like it, although he is pretty much sticking with the mid-range jumpers now.

At least, that's my take. :p:

Killakobe81
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Gotta love that Lakers D!!!!

watchout now i could the same about the spurs one lately ...bottom line are the w's ...

pauls931
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
When Shaq was in L.A., Kobe really couldn't penetrate the way he wanted (pretty much the problem with Phoenix now) and Gasol has a decent inside/outside game where he doesn't have to be parked in the lane all the time.

It allows Kobe to go inside/outside whenever he feels like it, although he is pretty much sticking with the mid-range jumpers now.

At least, that's my take. :p:

Good point. Looking at teams that have good penetration, the centers are usually setting picks at the top of the key or hanging out on the wing like Duncan. That damn Gasol trade f'd up the entire west except for the spurs.

turiaf for president
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
What's more amazing is it appears Dantoni is coaching both the Knicks and Suns tonight.

hahaha nawww. kings suck. they suck against everyone.....cept la =D

djam_24
02-02-2009, 11:01 PM
kobe got off on a great rythm tonight..61 points is fantastic but i rather wanna see a more balance game among all his teamates..games like this just takes away the confidence off other players..individually its good for kobe..its satisfying to see him go off like that but it's more fun to see the whole team blowing up the opponent with evry1 contributing..

scanry
02-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Kobe looked pissed today, and sadly the Knicks were the victims. :lol

tp2021
02-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Let Kobe score that much. They needed it the way the defense gave up 117 points. That surely isn't a key to success for the rest of the season.

DrHouse
02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Let Kobe score that much. They needed it the way the defense gave up 117 points. That surely isn't a key to success for the rest of the season.

The defense was actually very good. Had you watched the game you would have noticed that. Good defense is not purely measured on ppg. The Lakers held the Knicks to 44.1% FG shooting and 25.9% from 3pt land.

The Knicks scored like 10-15 pts in the last 2 minutes when the Lakers scrubs got in.

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
defense? drhouse plz dont sugarcoat the knicks defense....

antonio once again....ur method sucks

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 11:43 PM
MJ wouldve dropped 75 with a team like the Lakers

Udokafan05
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
The defense was actually very good. Had you watched the game you would have noticed that. Good defense is not purely measured on ppg. The Lakers held the Knicks to 44.1% FG shooting and 25.9% from 3pt land.

The Knicks scored like 10-15 pts in the last 2 minutes when the Lakers scrubs got in.

:lol PPG is the measuring stick of a defense.

Showtime24 LAKERS
02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Kobe is going to score however much his team needs him to, it won't be 60 points every night. But if they need it, better believe he'll give it.

DrHouse
02-02-2009, 11:56 PM
:lol PPG is the measuring stick of a defense.

:lmao. Are you really this dumb?

PPG is not the measuring stick of a defense. PPG does not take into account pace. Teams that score a lot are going to have higher PPG by nature because there are more possessions for the other team and more shots put up.

The measuring stick of a defense is opponent's FG%.

TheMACHINE
02-03-2009, 12:09 AM

IronMexican
02-03-2009, 12:09 AM
And I got to say, it was nice to see vintage Kobe. Of course, I hope it balances out next game.

TheNextGen
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
This guy can do it all.

Rogue
02-03-2009, 12:11 AM
shaq's shit may be the most nutritional fertilizer, Kobe shouldn't have been that good if he hadn't eaten his shit.

DrHouse
02-03-2009, 12:14 AM
shaq's shit may be the most nutritional fertilizer, Kobe shouldn't have been that good if he hadn't eaten his shit.

Terrible fail at comedy. Try again.

dirk4mvp
02-03-2009, 12:35 AM
Terrible fail at comedy. Try again.

Rogue is the best poster on this board.

mogrovejo
02-03-2009, 12:40 AM
:lmao. Are you really this dumb?

PPG is not the measuring stick of a defense. PPG does not take into account pace. Teams that score a lot are going to have higher PPG by nature because there are more possessions for the other team and more shots put up.

Wrong.

The best measuring stick of a defense is points allowed per possession (defensive efficiency, generally measured as points per 100 possessions). Opponent FG% is just a factor, like, say, turnovers caused.

MI21
02-03-2009, 12:46 AM
He's a talented mofo.

Nobody in the league can match Kobe in pure scoring explosion. Amazing.

DrHouse
02-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Wrong.

The best measuring stick of a defense is points allowed per possession (defensive efficiency, generally measured as points per 100 possessions). Opponent FG% is just a factor, like, say, turnovers caused.

Agreed. Points allowed per possession is perhaps the best statistic to use because it accounts for things like pace.

But typically teams that have the best PPP stat also have the lowest opponent FG%.

Just wildly basing how good a team is defensively by ppg isn't a terribly bright thing to do though.

ehz33satx
02-03-2009, 12:51 AM
This guy can do it all.

He is just trying to make it up to Lakers fans for what he did to Bynum.

Kobulingam
02-03-2009, 01:11 AM
Agreed. Points allowed per possession is perhaps the best statistic to use because it accounts for things like pace.

But typically teams that have the best PPP stat also have the lowest opponent FG%.

Just wildly basing how good a team is defensively by ppg isn't a terribly bright thing to do though.

Not it doesn't account for pace at all.
It accounts for 2 extra things that OPP FG% does not, which is causing opponent turnovers and the fact that giving up a 3 is worse than giving up a 2.

Trainwreck2100
02-03-2009, 01:21 AM
MJ wouldve dropped 75 with a team like the Lakers

Wilt would have 150+ points with this Lakers team playing that Knicks team. Then he'd spend the second half banging the knicks dancers

dirk4mvp
02-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Wilt would have 150+ points with this Lakers team playing that Knicks team. Then he'd spend the second half banging the knicks dancers

Well David Lee is an undersized white guy playing center, so it's possible Wilt would drop a load of points.

ElNono
02-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Where are these 60+ point games when you need them? Imagine he pulls this shit in that Boston game they lost by 40... Lakers would have won by 20!

DPG21920
02-03-2009, 01:43 AM
It was truly an amazing feat. Nothing else to say really.

Cane
02-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Back to back MVP's might be in order :toast:

anakha
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
No Laker fan guarantees about Kobe's performance this season? Maybe you guys can go 2 for 2 on your inadvertent jinx attempts so far. :lol

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-03-2009, 01:57 AM
I hate Kobe as much as the next guy and will never root for him individually but some non-Laker fans definitely take him for granted because of all the haterade.

As much as a punkass bitch he is...no one can score like him in this league.

Def Rowe
02-03-2009, 02:14 AM
I hate Kobe as much as the next guy and will never root for him individually but some non-Laker fans definitely take him for granted because of all the haterade.

As much as a punkass bitch he is...no one can score like him in this league.

:flag:

Showtime24 LAKERS
02-03-2009, 02:57 AM
And according to some fans of his own team, Kobe "just doesn't have it anymore."... :lmao

21_Blessings
02-03-2009, 03:08 AM
kobe got off on a great rythm tonight..61 points is fantastic but i rather wanna see a more balance game among all his teamates..games like this just takes away the confidence off other players..individually its good for kobe..its satisfying to see him go off like that but it's more fun to see the whole team blowing up the opponent with evry1 contributing..

Hey retard Gasol scored 30

mystargtr34
02-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Bill Russell could score 100 against those Knicks.

Today.

angelbelow
02-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Lets bet on the amount of posts it takes before this thread turns into Kobe vs. MJ.

I got 10.

dude MJ>KOBE!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE BURN IN HELLL!!!!!!!

Allanon
02-03-2009, 04:40 AM

Leave it to Angelbelow to F* shit up. :lol

Great performance, it's cool shit, just meant to be enjoyed, probably won't see too many like these in our lifetimes, no matter what team you root for.

DrHouse
02-03-2009, 04:41 AM

:lmao

I wish people would just appreciate Kobe's talent for what it is. Yes he's not MJ, but the dude is fucking phenomenal and one of the best scorers (if not the best) in the game today.

He had one move today where he pump faked his man than did a 180 degree pivot off his left foot and sunk a hanging floater. I mean very few players can pull off the moves he does. His footwork is impeccable.

Knick fans LOVE Kobe because they just love basketball.

timvp
02-03-2009, 04:45 AM
When Kobe gets in a zone where he can't be denied he is the best!

Fernando TD21
02-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Bryant’s 61 will grow in Garden’s history

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Kobe Bryant climbs off the bus on 33rd Street in New York and into that old, creaky freight elevator that lifts the players to the floor level. This still gets to him. Just Monday night, he was thinking about the history, about Jerry West and Willis Reed, about the way that Madison Square Garden still stands for a forever time in the National Basketball Association.

“This is the last one left,” Bryant said. “This is the last one that holds all the memories.”

Yes, he thinks about those Lakers-Knicks NBA Finals, and he thinks about Michael Jordan’s 55, and he thinks about leaving his legacy there. He wants to be remembered as the greatest player of his time – maybe ever – and understands that an important part of that always goes through New York.

So, Bryant donated 61 points to the shrine Monday night, embarrassing the New York Knicks with the greatest offensive performance the Garden had ever seen. Perhaps it was inevitable that he had to go for everything. Jordan scored 55 points there. LeBron James had 50. Bryant had a couple 40-point games but never chased the ghosts at the Garden. Here was a perfect storm for that to happen. Bryant’s sense of nostalgia met a simmering rage over the loss of Lakers center Andrew Bynum.

Bryant had crashed into his teammate Saturday night, torn his MCL, and the diagnosis of a two- to three-month recovery ripped through the Lakers on Monday. Bryant’s bid for a fourth NBA title had been delivered a difficult, if not devastating, blow. Bynum will likely be gone for the start of the playoffs, and upon his return, could struggle to regain his rapidly rising dominance.

All that turned Kobe’s disposition dark and brooding. If the Lakers knew anything about Bryant, they knew there would be hell to pay for the Knicks. Across this brilliant night – long jumpers and twisting turnarounds and breathless drives – there was still such a somberness to him. Maybe it was a message to his teammates, to the rest of the league, that the Lakers were still chasing a championship. Maybe he just wanted to change the story line overnight from Bynum’s knee to his own greatness.

Without Bynum, Bryant’s burden grows immensely, and so, there was no joy in him. No frivolity, no jabbering with Spike Lee. There was no acknowledgement of the Knicks fans chanting “MVP … MVP” until he left the 126-117 victory with 2½ minutes left in the game.

“He wouldn’t speak to anyone on the court tonight,” the Knicks’ David Lee said. “He was very quiet.”

It was the greatest scoring night in Garden history. Jordan had 55 points in 1995, and Bernard King had 60 in 1984 and now Bryant passes everyone with 61. Now, LeBron comes to the Garden on Wednesday night with the Cleveland Cavaliers, but he doesn’t have the stomach for such single-minded shooting nights. James always wanted to be more Magic than Michael. Only Jordan did it three games into his comeback from a year and a half in minor league baseball, and Phil Jackson remembered, “He wasn’t really totally himself as a player. We just stuck him in the post that night.”

Bryant has become a better teammate, a better team player, but his core is unchanged: Ultimately, he goes it alone. As well as anyone since Jordan, he creates high drama and elevates himself to reach it. He started scoring fast and never stopped. The Knicks were props. They looked as liable to ask him for his autograph as they did try to defend him.

“He kind of had this dazed look on his face,” Lamar Odom said. “Some call it the zone. He was just in another world. I don’t think it probably mattered what shot he took or how he took it. It probably would’ve went in.”

For the Lakers, these scoring binges aren’t always the best in the long run. Pau Gasol had 31 points, yes, but there was a lot of standing around, a lot of watching Bryant. As much as ever, Bryant will need to honor the lessons learned a year ago on the way to the Finals. He needs his teammates and they need him. Jackson, an old Knick, was respectful of Bryant’s bid for Garden history, but seemed wary of its lingering impact on a team that has to learn to play differently again.

Mere moments into the game, Jackson could see where Bryant wanted to go Monday night. At halftime, he had 34 points and Jackson wanted to see the ball move a little better, see Odom and Derek Fisher a bigger part of the picture. “I just told him to get everybody involved, which didn’t happen,” Jackson said.

After all these years of coaching Michael and Kobe on these trips to New York, Jackson knows that resistance is futile. Wisely, he let Kobe go. Jackson will worry about coaching the rest of the team tomorrow.

Nevertheless, history was calling Monday night. Kobe Bryant stepped out of that old freight elevator and could see the center-court tunnel down the hallway, see the lights of Madison Square Garden. He stepped out of that dark place and into the forever lights of the last pro basketball gym that holds all the history, all the memories. All that nostalgia, all that rage – resistance was futile. These were 61 points to stand the test of time.

Rapper
02-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Don't be cocky kobe

lebomb
02-03-2009, 08:13 AM
That was nice, I have to admit. I watched the highlights.........dude was on fire. 19-31 from the field and 20-20 fts? DAmn.

Sportstudi
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
I agree. Damn impressive, no doubt about that.

ElNono
02-03-2009, 09:22 AM
He just made the shots he was supposed to make. No surprises there.

lefty
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
The Knicks........

Big deal

DAF86
02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
:lmao

I wish people would just appreciate Kobe's talent for what it is. Yes he's not MJ, but the dude is fucking phenomenal and one of the best scorers (if not the best) in the game today.

He had one move today where he pump faked his man than did a 180 degree pivot off his left foot and sunk a hanging floater. I mean very few players can pull off the moves he does. His footwork is impeccable.

Knick fans LOVE Kobe because they just love basketball.

If you wish that, then why did you bring MJ to the discussion?

DrHouse
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Because idiot douches like yourself can't stand seeing a thread giving Kobe props and always have to interject with "MJ WAS BETTA!!!". So I just get that shit out the way so you faggots shutup.

cool hand
02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
great Knick defense

http://img.timeinc.net/time/potw/20020712/matador.jpg

JoeTait75
02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Who shorts Kobe on his props, Gregory? Hell, you're the one who brought MJ into the discussion in the first place!

02-03-2009, 03:12 PM

don't take Drhouse's bait. well all know the truth. no point in arguing with a deluded kobe worshiper.

DAF86
02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Because idiot douches like yourself can't stand seeing a thread giving Kobe props and always have to interject with "MJ WAS BETTA!!!". So I just get that shit out the way so you faggots shutup.

When did you see me dissing Kobe? I just give my opinion in a thread that is arguing about that particular point.

The fact that I think that Lebron is better than Kobe right now and that MJ is better than Kobe (and everybody else that played this sport) doesn't make me a Kobe hater. In fact I enjoy Kobe's game very much.

P.S: Just to let you know, I think that Kobe is a better player than Duncan right now.

it's me
02-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Overrated sucker... he can put up 80some again... but will die ringless without O'Meal

02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
^ LOL that's the first time i heard "O'meal"

comparisons of kobe and MJ, like this thread, are always brought up by a laker fan first. everyone else knows MJ > Kobe and won't even bother brining it up because it's like stating the sky is blue.

DrHouse
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
When did you see me dissing Kobe? I just give my opinion in a thread that is arguing about that particular point.

The fact that I think that Lebron is better than Kobe right now and that MJ is better than Kobe (and everybody else that played this sport) doesn't make me a Kobe hater. In fact I enjoy Kobe's game very much.

P.S: Just to let you know, I think that Kobe is a better player than Duncan right now.

Did I say you?

Unless you refer to yourself as an idiot douche than I wasn't talking to you.

Thunder Dan
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
that was a sweet performance. Kobe is the best player right now....but not the MVP this year

DAF86
02-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Did I say you?

Now english isn't my first lenguage but...

cool hand
02-03-2009, 03:52 PM
Tim Duncan is the MVP every year.

Bandwagon Spurs Fan
02-03-2009, 03:54 PM

MJ >>>> Kobe

you're the only faggot who needs to shutup here

BWS-1994
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Thankfully, none of my current rivals in Head-to-head Fantasy Basketball have Kobe in their teams.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
19-31 from the field!

anakha
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM

Did I say you?

And the good doctor ends up owning himself again. :lmao

DrHouse
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
And the good doctor ends up owning himself again. :lmao

It's hard to keep track of you maggots :lmao

Spur fan reaction to Kobe scoring 61 last night

http://i36.tinypic.com/es2mis.gif

Blatantly ripped from RealGM

TheNextGen
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
that was a sweet performance. Kobe is the best player right now....but not the MVP this year

right on! TD for MVP!

anakha
02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I have nothing else to offer up, in light of my self-ownage, so I'll just go back to insulting Spurs fans.

Medvedenko
02-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Kobe=MJ

angelbelow
02-03-2009, 08:53 PM
man i just watched the game on fsn. brilliant performance by kobe.