PDA

View Full Version : Hairston over Udoka?

toki9
02-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Has Hairston passed Udoka on the depth chart already? He played 2 minutes tonight vs. DNP for Udoka.

2centsworth
02-03-2009, 02:01 AM
how did he look? I missed it.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-03-2009, 02:02 AM
Has Hairston passed Udoka on the depth chart already? He played 2 minutes tonight vs. DNP for Udoka.

I hope so.

No offense to Udoka, but he's kinda garbage this year..

Austin_Toros
02-03-2009, 02:13 AM
I hope Hairston replaces Udoka in the rotation. Just going by what Hairston's first two games show, this may be the case
:flag:

Quiet Strength
02-03-2009, 02:15 AM
how did he look? I missed it.

He messed up on defense and pop took him out. He didn't really play.

Manufan909
02-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Maybe Pop should put him in with 2 of the Big 3, and have Tim be one of them.

EricB
02-03-2009, 02:20 AM
He didn't play long enough to even say that hes officially passed him.

m33p0
02-03-2009, 02:22 AM
neither udoka nor hairston will play in the playoffs.

angelbelow
02-03-2009, 04:33 AM
it couldnt hurt. lets see what hairstons got.

SenorSpur
02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I was a bit surprised that Pop inserted Hairston over Udoka, even for his short stint. Now that he has, and considering the Denver game will be a B2B, let's see what he can do.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Udoka has spent way too many nights as the worst player on the floor regardless of who else is out there. If he gets any minutes on this trip he'd better make the most of them. He's already got one sneaker out the door.

The Truth #6
02-03-2009, 11:31 AM
He messed up on defense and pop took him out. He didn't really play.

It's hard to take much from two minutes, but he did mess up on defense. However, he did have a drive to the hoop that resulted in drawing a foul.

urunobili
02-03-2009, 11:35 AM
He also had his fist career assist :tu

m33p0
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
sucks to be udoka right now. hard to prove anything if you've got manu, mason, bowen and finley to compete for minutes. and every time he was given a chance, he messes it up. even if you somehow manages to show he can be useful, there's little to no chance he can crack that 2-guard/SF rotation.

tav1
02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Hairston pretty much looked lost. Can't really take anything from 2 minutes.

2centsworth
02-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Udoka simply plays like he doesn't belong most of the time.

DAF86
02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
it couldnt hurt. lets see what hairstons got.

+ 1

The Truth #6
02-03-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't get everyone slamming Udoka to prop up Hairston. I want Hairston to get minutes also, and I want to see what he can do, but I see no reason to pull down Udoka. I'm not saying he's great, but he's in the classic trap of not getting minutes and then feeling he has to shoot as quickly as possible to earn more time. A lot of previous quality Spurs players have fallen into this as well.

manufor3
02-03-2009, 05:27 PM
feel bad for udoka

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2009, 06:04 PM
I don't feel bad for Udoka..he's had plenty of time to prove himself, and he hasn't made the best of it..nothing you can do in that case..

duncan228
02-03-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm disappointed in Udoka. I really hoped he could bring more this season.

Budkin
02-03-2009, 06:17 PM
What the hell happened to Udoka? He played really well for us last year.

porksword
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
It could be that Udoka started to press the fewer and fewer minutes he got. And the more you press the more mistake prone you become. Prolly a lot like Tolliver. You have to let the game come to you, not force things.

angelbelow
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't feel bad for Udoka..he's had plenty of time to prove himself, and he hasn't made the best of it..nothing you can do in that case..

+1

exstatic
02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Hairston will be back in Austin after the RRT for the remainder of the Toros season, just like Ian last year.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't get everyone slamming Udoka to prop up Hairston. I want Hairston to get minutes also, and I want to see what he can do, but I see no reason to pull down Udoka. I'm not saying he's great, but he's in the classic trap of not getting minutes and then feeling he has to shoot as quickly as possible to earn more time. A lot of previous quality Spurs players have fallen into this as well.

It's two separate issues. Udoka fucking sucks this year, and has since preseason with the exception of that little stretch where he was running the point. It seems to be a carryover from how bad he was at times against the Lakers. Udoka has to be pretty damn bad for me to be recommending a rookie replace him in the rotation, no matter how much I might like that rookie. And if you've been watching, you know Udoka has indeed been that bad. How much worse could Hairston be? I've got a bit more confidence in Hairston's upside than I do Udoka's at this point because at least Malik has an excuse.

Bandwagon Spurs Fan
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Udokant has failed miserably in considerable minutes this season. If he never plays again, its too late. He's already played far too much.

barbacoataco
02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
I think after Udoka's failure defending Kobe in last year's playoffs, the team realized he would never be the Bowen replacement. if he had played better this year maybe they would have stuck with him. But Mason has kind of made him obsolete.

I see Hairston replacing Udoka in next year's roster as the 5th SF/SG in the rotation. If he continues to play well that is.

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2009, 08:50 PM
tonight will be interesting without the big 3..Udoka and Hairston might be playing for minutes in this game..

loveforthegame
02-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Hairston should see a ton of minutes tonight. Pop almost has to let him work out errors with the big 3 out resting.

AFBlue
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
After tonight, I'm not sure this is even a question...Hairston with a ton of hustle plays, making the most of his opportunities on offense.

He looked a little lost out there from time to time, but that's to be expected.

AFBlue
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
BTW, I just sat through some horrific basketball to see how Hairston would do...his performance (and maybe Fab's) is about the only good thing to come from tonight.

Manufan909
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
Damn, I want Hairston over Fin. He is a beast, imagine what he could do with an actual star(or 2) by his side???

Yorae
02-03-2009, 11:38 PM
But wtf is wrong with his fts?

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2009, 11:40 PM
the guy played great, despite having NOBODY on his team that could draw any kind of double team..

I want to see how he plays with 3 guys that draw double teams, so he can focus on finishing, rebounding, and playing D..

he gives us a new dimension..

AFBlue
02-03-2009, 11:41 PM
But wtf is wrong with his fts?

Small sample size I'm guessing. He hit them at a decent clip in the D-league.

And if that's the worst thing you can say about his second game and first real minutes with the big club....I think that's indicative of a pretty solid showing by the kid.

xellos88330
02-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Hairston looked really solid tonight. I believe he has the goods to crack the rotation. I wonder how many games it will take until Pop is sold on him.

benefactor
02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Hairston - 17min, 12pts, 5 reb(4 off), 6-8 FG

Udoka - 28min, 6pts, 5reb, 4st, 3-11 FG

Besides the 4 steals, Hairston owned Udoka tonight. Even though he got in some foul trouble I thought his physicality on defense was big. He also used his size and strength to get to the rim and crash the offensive glass. If his game continues to develop to match his physical gifts he will be a big addition to this team.

tp2021
02-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Spurs 2008 draft pwns all n00bs.

remingtonbo2001
02-03-2009, 11:56 PM
So, tonight's game made it abundently clear that Udoka is more than expendible.

What type of bargining power do the Spurs have with Udoka?

In combination with another player, what type of trades are possible?

Or do you think Hairston is not muture enough to handle 3rd string SG duties.

Thoughts?

AFBlue
02-04-2009, 12:03 AM

Thoughts?

Udoka's contract is at/near minimum and he doesn't hold much value as a player, since he's been virtually invisible this year. So he most likely won't be traded.

I still think there's an outside shot that Hairston beats him outright for the job though.

As much as Hairston needs to continue his development (catch 'n shoot, 3pt range), I don't think that development is going to take place in a league where he can just use his athleticism to blow past a defender and either get fouled or finish at the rim uncontested...something he'll be less successful at in the NBA.

No, I think his best option is to cut his teeth with the big boys. He appears to be smart enough and have the work ethic/determination. The only question is will he get the chance? I'm hopeful, but only time will tell.

DPG21920
02-04-2009, 12:05 AM
This is far too early to say anything about Malik. He did well tonight, but it was an awkward game. We do not know if he can make an impact this year.

Ice009
02-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Thoughts?

Maybe you could package Bonner and Udoka. You'd have to get a decent big back in return though.

manu_maniac
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Hairston definitely has a better future with our Spurs than Udoka. Udoka had no room for improvement, and will only decrease in his output as he continues to age (going to be 32 this year). Hairston is just beginning his professional career and will continue to improve on his skill set. To me, this is a no-brainer.

scanry
02-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Maybe you could package Bonner and Udoka. You'd have to get a decent big back in return though.

I'd say ship those two for Joe Smith or Wilcox...

The Thunder aren't using two so might as well get something in return.

Spur-Addict
02-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Someone should make a Gif of Hairston blocking out Carmelo and knocking him over in the process.

Manufan909
02-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Someone should make a Gif of Hairston blocking out Carmelo and knocking him over in the process.

That was shittastic. How stron to you have to be to knock over someone with your ass, and NOT be named Shaq???

underdawg
02-04-2009, 12:45 AM

Thoughts?

I think your maximum trade value for Udoka lies with Portland. However, I don't think they'll trade with SA.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2009, 01:11 AM
wow, malik did exactly that? i think the spurs got something here with this type of player. hope pop can give him minutes to for malik to show his wares.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2009, 01:33 AM
there's absolutely no way Pop doesn't give him a few more tries after the game he had tonight..he's Pop's type of player..

hater
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
well Udoka had a nice game too. nice ball movement and good D on Melo. I would not say Hairston is better yet.

chreph
02-04-2009, 09:43 AM
The only reason I watched tonight was to see Hairston. I think he can be a contributor if given minutes but, like most, would like to see what he can do with at least one of the big 3 on the floor with him. Hopefully he won't defer to a fault (Hill) and just become invisible on the floor :nope

silverblackfan
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Other than Udoka knowing the system better, I did not see a big reason for him being out there over Malik. Malik put back a few of Udoka's misses with strong rebounding and good finish. Missed the and 1 both times, but that is more nerves than anything. His drives to the hoop were pretty good and he has the strength to get the shot up after getting fouled. He is slightly taller (6'6") than Ime, too.

TheDarkSide.
02-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Udoka played well tonight on the defensive side of things, his shooting was cold but what do you expect from someone riding the bench all year, hopefully this game boosted his confidence

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Udoka played well tonight on the defensive side of things, his shooting was cold but what do you expect from someone riding the bench all year, hopefully this game boosted his confidence

I expect him to practice harder and be ready when he gets minutes to earn his way back into the rotation. Instead he got outplayed by a rookie.

xtremesteven33
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Ime has the better name.

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Other than Udoka knowing the system better, I did not see a big reason for him being out there over Malik. Malik put back a few of Udoka's misses with strong rebounding and good finish. Missed the and 1 both times, but that is more nerves than anything. His drives to the hoop were pretty good and he has the strength to get the shot up after getting fouled. He is slightly taller (6'6") than Ime, too.

Did you see how much bigger Carmelo was that every other Spurs SF/SG? He literally towered over Hairston and he's 6'6" 220.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, SS, but Carmelo is at least 6'8".

hater
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM

thats the way I saw it. You can't expect someone shooting lights out when they been riding the bench all season.

He was aggressive and good defensively. not bad

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, SS, but Carmelo is at least 6'8".

Right, but he just looked so much bigger than every Spur guarding him. He looks about 230. Maybe it's me.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Right, but he just looked so much bigger than every Spur guarding him. He looks about 230. Maybe it's me.

No, I agree. Hairston isn't a big guy but then he makes a block or attacks the rim and surprises people. That said, guys like Melo are the reason the Spurs need someone closer to Bowen's size to replace him. As much as I like Hairston's defensive game, he's not going to be the answer for guys like Anthony and James.

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
No, I agree. Hairston isn't a big guy but then he makes a block or attacks the rim and surprises people. That said, guys like Melo are the reason the Spurs need someone closer to Bowen's size to replace him. As much as I like Hairston's defensive game, he's not going to be the answer for guys like Anthony and James.

Agreed. In fact, my fear is they may have waited too long to incorporate such a player of that size and skill. They took gambles on Udoka, White and Williams and none have really panned out. I'm hoping the Spurs will go back to the 2nd round draft well and nab, yet another swingman.

EJK5032
02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Udoka just looks rusty.......not sure if it's the lack of playing time this year, or just a lack of preparation and focus on his part.........might be the latter, which is why Pop isn't playing him. His shot has been real flat.......maybe he's not in shape? I do give him credit for at least looking for his shot, albeit sometimes it's not the best choice, cause some of the guys on the bench are too gun shy.

Hairston is exactly what we need.......he was a serious spark - hustled, crashed the boards, ran the floor hard, and didn't take shit from anyone, especially Carmelo, who the Nuggets inexplicably had guarding Hairston.

Bartleby
02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Agreed. In fact, my fear is they may have waited too long to incorporate such a player of that size and skill. They took gambles on Udoka, White and Williams and none have really panned out. I'm hoping the Spurs will go back to the 2nd round draft well and nab, yet another swingman.

Gist? Or is he too slow to play SF?

barbacoataco
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I think it just isn't that easy to find long, quick, good, aggressive, skilled, SF's who play great defense and are cheap. Every team in the nba is looking for that type of player.

Manufan909
02-04-2009, 06:40 PM
I think, if Hairston games is an indication of what he good bring every night come next season, the Spurs have found their SF. He might not be 6'8, but he sure as hell played like it. He might've been called for a foul in the first half, but he blocked Melo clean. And all he has to do is back up The Gist.:lol

But seriously, if Hairston can look like this in his first real NBA game after how he looked in the SL and pre-season, imagine what Gist will bring. Damn, next year Pop will have at least 4 guys that look to dunk(Manu, Ian, Gist, Hairston, maybe Hill) getting minutes next season. Hope he doesn't spontaneously combust from all the excitement.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Udoka just looks rusty.......not sure if it's the lack of playing time this year, or just a lack of preparation and focus on his part.........might be the latter, which is why Pop isn't playing him.

Udoka was terrible in the playoffs last year, and has stunk it up all through training camp and the regular season. Looks to me like he's just collecting a paycheck.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Gist? Or is he too slow to play SF?

i think gist can play sf. he's also 6'8", but is athletic. i think we have an answer when it comes to defending melo and lebron. i know no one can stop melo and lebron one-on-one, but having malik/:toastgist in our team, plus our team defense, we can neutralize them.

Old School 44
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Maybe Udoka's tanking a bit...just until the trade deadline has passed.
If he shows any value, he might end up in package deal with the Clippers for Camby.:lol

Manufan909
02-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Hairston is too cool to score on anything but dunks today. Just wish he'd made his 2 layups. And what was his 6th shot, anyways?

02-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Did you see how much bigger Carmelo was that every other Spurs SF/SG? He literally towered over Hairston and he's 6'6" 220.

hairston is 6'5. i remember the spurs preview always list hariston at 6'5. still he's much better athletically than udoka.

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2009, 11:44 PM
is udoka tankn so he doesnt get traded?

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2009, 11:45 PM
he's much better at everything than Ime, except looking scary..that's the only thing Ime knows how to do, look intimidating..

Manufan909
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
Poor Hairston has the face of a fat guy. Hope he loses the baby fat, but as long as his vert equals all the Spurs' bigs plus 1 foot, I'm happy.

EricB
02-10-2009, 11:59 PM

:lol

What player have they passed over and not given a chance?

You guys act like these players grow on trees.

bigfan
02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Udoka is truly having a crappy year but I still think the guy can play. Maybe he's stuck in a rut like Barry was when he first got here for a year or so.

superbigtime
02-11-2009, 12:43 AM

After watching the Nets game answer is definitely Yes! Absolutely and without a doubt! Hairston has definitely got more leaping and rebounding ability and can finish at the rim. He had a nice assist under the basket. And he's not a defensive liability. He has made Ime entirely obsolete. If any deal gets done, I can't see how Ime would not be included. Hairston will play well if he gets the PT.

Whisky Dog
02-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Hairston has 4 more games to show consistency and improvement and possibly stay up past the road trip. Either way he'd have to play like a madman to be of any use in April/May/June. Doubt he sniffs the postseason rotation except for maybe fouls. He can hack a shaq.

Manufan909
02-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Idk, I think he'll crack the PO rotation, but he'll have a VERY short leash.

ManuTP9
02-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Hairston FTW

GSH
02-11-2009, 02:38 AM
I guess I'm one of the few who still believe that Ime could get it together and live up to the potential everyone saw when the Spurs signed him. (But I was one of the few who believed in Bonner, too.) I think Ime's problems are all about confidence. The problem is that as this season gets older, there is going to be less and less chance for him to work his way into the lineup. I feel for the guy right now. He's better than this.

I'd be happy for the Spurs, though, if Hairston could earn some solid minutes. Because that would mean that he is ready to handle the defensive rotations consistently. (The only way Pop lets him see daylight in the playoffs.) Regardless of what happens with Ime, Hairston getting minutes for the Spurs is a good thing.

Just remember - when Ime had played about 10 games for the Spurs, lots of people were talking about him taking minutes away from Bruce. I like Hairston, but what you are talking about is a tall order.

gospursgojas
02-11-2009, 02:41 AM
Ime is done.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Manufan909
02-11-2009, 02:55 AM
Ime is done.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Truer words were never spoken. So are you the cutie in your avatar, or did I just hit on a dude?:rollin

SenorSpur
02-11-2009, 04:45 AM
I had a lot of high hopes for Ime. I was hoping for a much better showing from him this season, but that hasn't been the case. It does seem like his confidence is down. In fact, I would go as far as to predict Udoka will be part of any potential trade that goes down in the next week.

Meanwhile, I absolutely love what Hairston brings to the table. I have no problem with him taking up Udoka's minutes and passing him in the rotation. Heck, he's earned it. Want ot see more of him.

urunobili
02-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Ime gets blocked by guards like Farmar, Rondo etc... Hairston jumps VERY high and there is NO WAY he is going to get blocked on his way to a dunk... that vs an Ime lay up? No way...

Hairston>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ime

ElNono
02-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Hairston needs to work on his finishing at the rim. He can get to the hole, but if he can't dunk it, he has problems laying it in. We missed two gimmies last night just because of that.

DynastyBuilder
02-11-2009, 10:07 AM
If it pleases the court, I submit exhibit A

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/wallpaper_090210_1024.jpg

benefactor
02-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Hairston needs to work on his finishing at the rim. He can get to the hole, but if he can't dunk it, he has problems laying it in. We missed two gimmies last night just because of that.
This will come with time and experience at the NBA level. It's the whole "crawl before you walk, walk before you run" thing.

SenorSpur
02-11-2009, 10:12 AM
This will come with time and experience at the NBA level. It's the whole "crawl before you walk, walk before you run" thing.

There's no question, Hairston has talent and a lot of upside.

On the other side, Udoka has appeared to max out.

yavozerb
02-11-2009, 10:28 AM

Great shot...Hairston definatly is not afraid to mix it up inside.

tp2021
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM

VC- Who dat boy?

gospursgojas
02-11-2009, 10:57 AM

IIRC Hairston's last lay up attemp was a drive into the lane, splitting 2 defenders at the rim, and then keeping the ball away from those defenders while in the air to get a shot up.

I wouldn't call that a gimmie... The upside and potential is there. :hat

The Truth #6
02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Malik has played well enough when given minutes. I didn't think he'd get any time at all on the RRT, which is either a statement on his progress, or perhaps the coaches are trying him out, so to speak, before they consider trading Ime.

xellos88330
02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Hairston is a mini Malik Rose. Watching him under the basket brings back fond memories. I just want to see him posterize someone like Rose did to Mutombo

SenorSpur
02-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Hairston is a mini Malik Rose. Watching him under the basket brings back fond memories. I just want to see him posterize someone like Rose did to Mutombo

Provided he gets continued playing time, I'll be willing to bet that a poster dunk is coming.

The Truth #6
02-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Ime's issues are confidence, like many players on the Spurs who get lost on the bench. However, the improved play of Bonner has allowed him to stay on the court and we're doing less of the small ball game. Ime used to have a niche as the small ball 4 and for the last few weeks there hasn't been a need for that.

Also, Ime can't hit the side of a barn these days, so that isn't going to help.

On a side note, I've noticed some good chemistry between Ime and Oberto with a lot of give and go's, possibly because all the end-of-the-benchers put in lots of practice together.

Chomag
02-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Provided he gets continued playing time, I'll be willing to bet that a poster dunk is coming.

Doesn't he have one on Yao Ming in Pre-season?
At least I think I remember him having one.

Chomag
02-11-2009, 05:27 PM
ahhaa I found it hehe..

http://nimg.sulekha.com/Sports/original700/2008-10-9-23-36-41-a51fc50d22564ff3ae1a8795dcac7371-a51fc50d22564ff3ae1a8795dcac7371-1.jpg

yavozerb
02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Ime's issues are confidence, like many players on the Spurs who get lost on the bench. However, the improved play of Bonner has allowed him to stay on the court and we're doing less of the small ball game. Ime used to have a niche as the small ball 4 and for the last few weeks there hasn't been a need for that.

Also, Ime can't hit the side of a barn these days, so that isn't going to help.

On a side note, I've noticed some good chemistry between Ime and Oberto with a lot of give and go's, possibly because all the end-of-the-benchers put in lots of practice together.

Since those 2 are playing so well together maybe it will increase their trade value if they are packaged together...:lol

SenorSpur
02-11-2009, 05:30 PM
ahhaa I found it hehe..

http://nimg.sulekha.com/Sports/original700/2008-10-9-23-36-41-a51fc50d22564ff3ae1a8795dcac7371-a51fc50d22564ff3ae1a8795dcac7371-1.jpg

Wow!

Manu-of-steel
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Hairston has future star potential, Udoka is a hard worker but is not a skilled guy at all. If Ime was 3 inch taller he could be a bowen type but Hairston reminds me of a Joe Dumars type.

ime would never be like bowen because ime's lateral movement is slower. although ime is stronger, he will never be a good match up for agile players like kobe, nash, mayo. i'll put my money on hairston-he's stronger and has a greater athletic ability than ime. give him some time to pick up the spurs system and he'll be a valuable addition.