PDA

View Full Version : TP @ ASVEL @ 36 years old...why not

JP le Requin
02-03-2009, 09:58 AM
maybe a scoop lol but TP said himself "WHY NOT WHY NOT, to play for ASVEL when i will be 36 or 37 years old...for my jubilé"

TP bought parts from french basketball club ASVEL, he wants to do like David Beckam with facilities for training basketball young people, to make ASVEL a big european club, the only one in france to have potential (my opinion) etc..
http://static.itele.fr/itele/index.html
i saw this on Itélé, french infos tv

JPB
02-03-2009, 10:13 AM
He hasn't taken parts yet but is about to. He's gonna be the 2nd biggest shareholder and president of BB operations :wow

stéphane
02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
He hasn't taken parts yet but is about to. He's gonna be the 2nd biggest shareholder and president of BB operations :wow

Edit ok, article sport24

m33p0
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
it's something to do after his life in the NBA.

JP le Requin
02-03-2009, 11:27 AM
je l'ai entendu sur I TELE il y a 2h...
i heard it on french tv

and yes dont worry its his far future...when he will be close to stop basket

Bruno
02-03-2009, 11:43 AM
An article (in French) about it:
http://www.lnb.fr/index.php?pid=50&id_article=15698&cursor_start=0

The big deal is Parker will buy parts of l'ASVEL. Parker did it years ago with a team in Paris (and it ends up as a failure) but it was more a sentimental thing. This time it's more business related. They are trying to build a big BB team in France.

In 2009-2010, the Euroleague format will change. For the first time, 16 teams will be automatically qualified for it and won't have to compete to keep an Euroleague roster spot (like in the NBA where teams are sure to be in the NBA for years).
L'ASVEL (a team near Lyon) will try to get one of these 16 spots and they should be able to get one.

ForeignFan
02-03-2009, 11:58 AM
where is Alain Gilles ?

timvp
02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
There goes the 2019-2020 season :depressed

Spurminator
02-03-2009, 02:15 PM
There goes the 2019-2020 season :depressed

We never would have had a chance anyway. The Barcelona Hornets are going to be too good that year.

Bruno
02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
What is funny/strange is that the coach of L'ASVEL will likely be the coach of French NT. Parker will play for a coach who is his employee. :downspin:

On a side note, Parker has also said that he wanted to join French NT as soon as early July this summer. If things went well, French NT last game of the summer will be on September 20th...

JP le Requin
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
i hope so after we celebrate 09 nba champions i hope to celebrate french victories with NT...go france go!

timvp
02-03-2009, 03:13 PM
What is funny/strange is that the coach of L'ASVEL will likely be the coach of French NT. Parker will play for a coach who is his employee. :downspin:I guess Parker's chances of getting benched by his NT this year will be less :hat

On a side note, Parker has also said that he wanted to join French NT as soon as early July this summer. If things went well, French NT last game of the summer will be on September 20th...Hopefully he has the shortest vacation possible this summer.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
An article (in French) about it:
http://www.lnb.fr/index.php?pid=50&id_article=15698&cursor_start=0

The big deal is Parker will buy parts of l'ASVEL. Parker did it years ago with a team in Paris (and it ends up as a failure) but it was more a sentimental thing. This time it's more business related. They are trying to build a big BB team in France.

In 2009-2010, the Euroleague format will change. For the first time, 16 teams will be automatically qualified for it and won't have to compete to keep an Euroleague roster spot (like in the NBA where teams are sure to be in the NBA for years).
L'ASVEL (a team near Lyon) will try to get one of these 16 spots and they should be able to get one.

How can they get top 16 contract? They do not meet qualification set for this.

ChumpDumper
02-03-2009, 04:38 PM
Do they play in a barn?

Bruno
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
How can they get top 16 contract? They do not meet qualification set for this.

They should get a wild card.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
They should get a wild card.

I don't understand this.

New system is 16 clubs get A license which mean they have lifetime contract for now. Then is 8 clubs get B or C license. B and C is for champions from certain leagues and for teams finish highest in leagues with extra spots like Spain, Greece, Italy and it would be 1 year or 3 years base on record they have in Euroleague.

So only way ASVEL can make this is to win Pro A of France. Otherwise ULEB would be change rules for them. Because way rules is they have no chance of get A license and for B license they do not meet arena requirement or record in previous years requirement. And for A or B teams must have 10,000 arena. I believe they have pretty decent arena but not big enough.

And as what I understand France and also Italy might lose one spot each in Euroleague next year and one place would go to each Russia and Greece.

Bruno
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't understand this.

New system is 16 clubs get A license which mean they have lifetime contract for now. Then is 8 clubs get B or C license. B and C is for champions from certain leagues and for teams finish highest in leagues with extra spots like Spain, Greece, Italy and it would be 1 year or 3 years base on record they have in Euroleague.

So only way ASVEL can make this is to win Pro A of France. Otherwise ULEB would be change rules for them. Because way rules is they have no chance of get A license and for B license they do not meet arena requirement or record in previous years requirement. And for A or B teams must have 10,000 arena. I believe they have pretty decent arena but not big enough.

And as what I understand France and also Italy might lose one spot each in Euroleague next year and one place would go to each Russia and Greece.

First, B and C license must only have a 5,000+ arena.

16 teams will get a license A. 14 will get it through criteria and up to 2 will get it with a wild card. ASVEL is trying to get one of these 2 wild cards. TP is really confident about their ability to get it. They are currently playing in a quite small arena but they should have a new one for 2011 with a 15,000 or 16,000 capacity. IMO, ASVEL and Alba Berlin will get a wild card for the license A.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-03-2009, 09:41 PM
First, B and C license must only have a 5,000+ arena.

16 teams will get a license A. 14 will get it through criteria and up to 2 will get it with a wild card. ASVEL is trying to get one of these 2 wild cards. TP is really confident about their ability to get it. They are currently playing in a quite small arena but they should have a new one for 2011 with a 15,000 or 16,000 capacity. IMO, ASVEL and Alba Berlin will get a wild card for the license A.

If they get new arena they have chance maybe. But no B teams also need 10,000 arena. Remember new rule is ALL 24 teams must have 10,000 arena within 2012 time. There is only 2 years allow time for teams to get new arena. For next year A clubs need 10,000 but by 2012 even C clubs would need this.

This I know is true because in Greece Panellinios is converting 10,000 arena and they already play now in 15,000 one. Maroussi now also play in 20,000 arena. These clubs is paying like 400K euros in cost just to rent these arenas.

Aris was supposed to have A license and did not get it because they only have 5,000+ arena and new arena of theirs would not be ready by next year. I cannot see then how club like Aris cannot get even a wild card but ASVEL can. Because ASVEL will not have such arena next year either.

Aris and Dynamo were both turn down for A license I think because of this. And Aris even this year not play in Euroleague has budget of something like 18 million. Then there is some Spanish clubs like Unicaja and Joventut and even they cannot get A license. It seems hard to imagine ASVEL can do this. If it happen they must be bribe ULEB. Because in Greece it was say by Aris that it would be 5 million euros to secure this wild card spot and names of clubs much bigger than ASVEL were said to want it. Like Khimki, Dynamo Moscow, Aris, Lietuvos Rytas, Unicaja Malaga, DKV Joventut, AJ Milano, ALBA Berlin and some other clubs like this. It does not make sense how ASVEL can get this contract then to me.

GSH
02-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Think about how many international players the Spurs have had that have learned under this system. And the Spurs tend to sign guys who are smarter than the average bear. They could have a long-lasting impact on international ball by carrying that knowledge back home.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ex-Spur players start being in demand as coaches in a few years.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-04-2009, 05:51 AM
French teams will never have success in euroleague with their current budgets

JPB
02-04-2009, 06:01 AM
Tony got to know ASVEL's FO in 2006 during spurs preseason in Lyon (ASVEL's city).
ASVEL's president travelled numerous times the last months to fix the deal.
TP should become president himself at mid-term.

I think it could have could have a direct impact for the spurs.
As Bruno mentioned, ASVEL should have a wild card (to have the biggest possible market, Euroleague has to include a french and a german club).

So, with TP involved in the club, spurs could send picks there and have a special eye on french or euro prospects.

mogrovejo
02-04-2009, 07:58 AM
French teams will never have success in euroleague with their current budgets

Ditto. However, I think ASVEL will eventually land one of the wild cards. Canal+ is on their side and Bertomeu isn't crazy. I think only a strong candidature from a UK club (not happening) would avoid that.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Ditto. However, I think ASVEL will eventually land one of the wild cards. Canal+ is on their side and Bertomeu isn't crazy. I think only a strong candidature from a UK club (not happening) would avoid that.

http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/france/budgets-in-the-french-league/

mathbzh
02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
I wonder if the ASVEL really want to be a top team in 4 or 5 years.
To do it, they need at least a 15-20M$ budget (similar to Maccabi Tel Aviv, Montepaschi Siena... ). This is a huge step for a team living with 6-7 M$.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I still cannot see how ASVEL will get 1 of 2 wild card permanent franchises.

There is only 16 available. 14 is regular and 2 is wild card.

I ask some Euroleague reporter and they are so far like this (but is not final yet)

1. CSKA Moscow
2. TAU Vitoria
3. Maccabi Tel Aviv
4. Panathinaikos Athens
5. Olympiacos Piraeus
6. Real Madrid
7. FC Barcelona
8. Montepaschi Siena
9. Fenerbache Ulker
10. Efes Pilsen
11. Lottomatica Roma
12. Partizan Belgrade
13. Unicaja Malaga
14. Cibona Zagreb

Wild card candidates is need 4 Euroleague appearances and are

ASVEL, Olimpija Ljubljana, AEK Athens, Prokom, Fortitudo Bologna, Virtus Bologna, Zalgiris Kaunas, Benetton Treviso

Then there is candidates can get chance base on size of club, arena or new arena plans, how rich is club, how much budget they can have, and can pay 5 million euros fee and they are

Aris Thessaloniki, Dynamo Moscow, Panionios Nea Smyrni, Khimki Moscow Region, DKV Joventut, ALBA Berlin

So 2 spots is between ASVEL, Olimpija Ljubljana, AEK Athens, Prokom, Fortitudo Bologna, Virtus Bologna, Zalgiris Kaunas, Benetton Treviso, Aris Thessaloniki, Dynamo Moscow, Panionios Nea Smyrni, Khimki Moscow Region, DKV Joventut, ALBA Berlin

This 2 spots will be pick on arena, size of club, how much budget will clubs spend, how much attendance they can get, current state of clubs and budgets and such things.

Panionios Nea Smyrni, DKV Joventut, and ALBA Berlin already should be able to get spot ahead of ASVEL base on this criteria. Only way ASVEL would get it is if they get it just so France can have 1 place.

duncan228
02-05-2009, 05:27 AM
TONY PARKER BUYS A BASKETBALL TEAM (http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur50648.cfm): San Antonio Spur purchases second largest share of French squad and takes executive gig.

San Antonio Spurs point guard Tony Parker has just purchased the second largest share of France's most titled professional basketball team and will begin serving immediately as the club's Director of Operations, according to People.com.

During an interview that aired on France's Infosport cable network, the 26-year-old also said he will expand his current Tony Parker Basketball Clinic operations around ASVEL's home base in Villeurbane, a Lyons suburb, citing another celebrity athlete as model. "I'd like to center them as a training center in Lyons, something like David Beckham's [soccer program]."

When asked if he would consider playing for his French club, he answered, "Why not, why not ? When I'm 36, 37 years old, who knows how my NBA will go. Why not play one more farewell year in France afterwards? I've raised the subject with Eva, and she has nothing against living in France."

Parker, whose contract with San Antonio runs until 2011, said he has long planned to "invest in a club, to take part in one after my playing days," reports People.com.

JPB
02-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I saw the complete interview.
TP wants to build a team wich could be a candidate for a franchise in the NBA Europe in 10 years and whose model would be... the spurs.

He's gonna create an academy with Nike and the french federation (a mini INSEP for those who knows what it is).

He talked with RC about his new attributions and RC told him he could use spurs scouts.

As I mentioned earlier, I think there could be strong connexions between SA and ASVEL.

Go ASVEL éperons !

tav1
02-06-2009, 04:02 PM
These posts are late to the party, but here (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/02/06/getting-his-buford-on/), here (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/02/06/lasvel-and-the-toros/) and here (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/02/06/postscript-on-parker-and-villeurbanne-with-jonathan-givony-of-draftexpress/).

Brazil
02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
didn't see posted a complete tp interview regarding his projects with l'asvel, the asg and the game against GSW.

Tony, when did you first speak with the people at ASVEL ?
About a year ago I was approached by various clubs in France. Talks were initiated with Rouen, Lille and ASVEL. Following careful review my choice lead towards Villeurbanne. The team’s key personnel came to see me in mid-January in San Antonio and it is then that we’ve decided to work together.

Why choose ASVEL ?
I’ve analyzed the various possibilities. I knew ASVEL’s project since my visit during the NBA Europe Live in 2006. The team has strong foundations and it is a good mix between tradition and modernity. What is truly exciting is that there are still a lot to do. I like challenges and the challenges ahead with ASVEL are good.

You had already invested with Paris Basket Racing but the outcome was not what you had expected…
You cannot compare. In Villeurbanne there is already a complete structure with a solid project. I am coming with the idea to accompany this project because we share the same visions and values. These are two forces that need to be united. I will work closely with the team’s management and in particular with Pierre Grall who has built the team with the coach, Vincent Collet.

Why invest in a club while you are only in the midst of your career ?
It is a project that I always had in me; managing a club and if possible in France in order to give back to basketball what it has given me. Villeurbanne has been the key club in France for a number of years and this club has a history. As the will to grow is there this is moment ot invest and to launch myself in this great adventure.

What are your goals ?
Over the long term it is to build one of the best club in Europe. We know that it will take some time but I am used to follow road maps and to stick to them. It is hard to compete with other European clubs with bigger financial means; thinking about Greeks and Russian team for example. Of course we will not be able to play head to head with them at the beginning but we are various ideas to perform well on the sporting side.

What are some of the ideas ?
We will develop the Tony Parker Academy. A large training facility will be launched in the Fall of 2010. This facility will include the pro team and the young players from the training academy. We are now conscious that the best European players have high salary expectancies. In order to face this we wish to rely on training new talents. France is an example of this and we won’t cut this out of the project.

What are some of the key priorities now ?
To get the best results possible from this year on but we must prepare the future like closing on the new area for the resident team and the Euroleague licence. We cannot imagine for one second that these two projects won’t come to life. We thus have to work now on building a team that can aim at the Euroleague Top 16 as early as next season.

Can you talk about the Euroleague license, synonymous with qualifying for the most important European competition ?
If the Euroleague President, Jordi Bertomeu, is now being tentative about French basketball it is for the second licence in France that shall be given on sporting criterias (the French league champion is automatically qualified for the competition). ASVEL is now a candidate for this wild-card and has a strong case. I am confident.

A new stadium is in the works.
Gilles Moretton (ASVEL’s president) and Antony Thiodet (VP) are following this closely. I see no reason why we could not have in France the facilities that you can see everywhere in Europe. France deserves this arena.

How much have you invested in ASVEL ?
I do not wish to go into details but I can tell that I also have an option to take the majority of the club and to become its president. This is no in the news today and I have the opportunity to start with Gilles Moretton and Antony Thiodet who both have a great experience at this level. I thus wish to learn at their side prior to taking more responsibilities.

Tony Parker playing for ASVEL; is this a possibility ?
It can happen. At the end of my NBA career I could very well play on more year at the highest level with ASVEL. I will be happy to end my career in France, in front of my fans. It will be a nice going out party. We’ve discussed this with Eva (Longoria Parker, his wife) and she won’t be against living in France for a year. We are far from this today as I still have ten years to play in the NBA.

ABC
03-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Parker is now majority shareholder of ASVEL and will make himself President of Basketball Operations.

http://projectspurs.com/2014-articles/tony-parker-to-become-president-of-french-team-asvel.html

team-work
03-22-2014, 09:24 AM
TP is going to take a page or two from the Spurs to run his own team. Guess it is funny to be an employee on a team while being the owner of another one.

Baam
03-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Maybe 5-10 years from now Asvel becomes part of NBA Europe...

weeks
03-22-2014, 09:48 AM
I'm glad to see France embracing the basketball thing, I hope it grows and grows in popularity, I'd love to watch some serious competition in Europe

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2014, 11:03 AM
maybe a scoop lol but TP said himself "WHY NOT WHY NOT, to play for ASVEL when i will be 36 or 37 years old...for my jubilé"

TP bought parts from french basketball club ASVEL, he wants to do like David Beckam with facilities for training basketball young people, to make ASVEL a big european club, the only one in france to have potential (my opinion) etc..
http://static.itele.fr/itele/index.html
i saw this on Itélé, french infos tv
Parker is now the President of ASVEL :tu

ace3g
06-14-2016, 06:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/719657781951799298/lSHlxDNT_bigger.jpg Marc J. Spears Verified account ‏@MarcJSpearsESPN (https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN)

Tony Parker and Corey Maggette celebrate their first title as @ASVEL_Basket (https://twitter.com/ASVEL_Basket) owners.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck8fD_ZXEAI8wOs.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/719657781951799298/lSHlxDNT_bigger.jpg Marc J. Spears Verified account ‏@MarcJSpearsESPN (https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN)

Spurs star @tonyparker (https://twitter.com/tonyparker), owner of French League champ @ASVEL_Basket (https://twitter.com/ASVEL_Basket), talked about his NBA dreams with @TheUndefeated (https://twitter.com/TheUndefeated).

https://t.co/ZzmRyvSrmd

TheGoldStandard
06-14-2016, 06:49 PM

Tony Parker and Corey Maggette celebrate their first title as @ASVEL_Basket (https://twitter.com/ASVEL_Basket) owners.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck8fD_ZXEAI8wOs.jpg

Spurs star @tonyparker (https://twitter.com/tonyparker), owner of French League champ @ASVEL_Basket (https://twitter.com/ASVEL_Basket), talked about his NBA dreams with @TheUndefeated (https://twitter.com/TheUndefeated).

https://t.co/ZzmRyvSrmd

This will give TP the confidence to do the one thing that has eluded him his career... be League MVP

Kawhitstorm
06-14-2016, 07:18 PM
This will give TP the confidence to do the one thing that has eluded him his career... be League MVP

Like Gervin went to Europe to win a chip.:lol