PDA

View Full Version : US Military Planning For Next Round of Torture - YOU!

Nbadan
03-03-2005, 05:53 PM
19:00 02 March 2005

The US military is funding development of a weapon that delivers a bout of excruciating pain from up to 2 kilometres away. Intended for use against rioters, it is meant to leave victims unharmed. But pain researchers are furious that work aimed at controlling pain has been used to develop a weapon. And they fear that the technology will be used for torture.

"I am deeply concerned about the ethical aspects of this research," says Andrew Rice, a consultant in pain medicine at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, UK. "Even if the use of temporary severe pain can be justified as a restraining measure, which I do not believe it can, the long-term physical and psychological effects are unknown."

The research came to light in documents unearthed by the Sunshine Project, an organisation based in Texas and in Hamburg, Germany, that exposes biological weapons research. The papers were released under the US's Freedom of Information Act.

One document, a research contract between the Office of Naval Research and the University of Florida in Gainsville, US, is entitled "Sensory consequences of electromagnetic pulses emitted by laser induced plasmas".

more...

New Scientist (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7077)

Exactly what rioters are these weapons aimed at? The ones who bothered to show up on the streets at all protesting the recent fraudulant Presidential election, or the ones who will soon be on the street protesting the forced indoctrination of their kids into the U.S. military?

Spurminator
03-03-2005, 05:54 PM
The rioters they're targeting are probably the ones that riot.

Nbadan
03-03-2005, 05:56 PM
The rioters they're targeting are probably the ones that riot.

What riot is that Sperminator?

smeagol
03-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Man, great invention. I would take a number of those weapons to be used against rioters in my home country.

There is plenty of them and they definetely need to experience a dose of excruciating pain.

Spurminator
03-03-2005, 06:02 PM
What riot is that Sperminator?

Do you know what a riot is?

Other than a day of NBADan posts?

Nbadan
03-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Do you know what a riot is?

I know what a riot is, I just want one example where this type of weapon would have a 'ethical' use.

Nbadan
03-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Due to be ready for use in 2007, the Pulsed Energy Projectile weapon is designed to trigger extreme pain from a distance of one-and-a-quarter miles.

It fires a laser pulse that generates a burst of expanding plasma - electrically charged gas - when it hits something solid. Tests on animals showed it produced "pain and temporary paralysis".

Just in time for the 08 Election? Rapture? NCAA Championship?

Hook Dem
03-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Just in time for the 08 Election? Rapture? NCAA Championship?
What if it was used on Republicans? Would you be for it then? :lol

exstatic
03-03-2005, 06:31 PM
What is the spread on this thing? If you're zapping, say, the LA riots, is it dissipating enough to hit children on the same city block? Questions need to be asked before this bitch is unleashed. Who determines what is a riot and what is a protest?

Spurminator
03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Many questions should be asked. And it should not be used until every possible problem is addressed. And I would imagine that's what the funding is for.

What is the spread on this thing? If you're zapping, say, the LA riots, is it dissipating enough to hit children on the same city block?

I didn't read anything in the article that indicated it was a "spread". It sounds to me like a long distance taser. I don't think we're talking about something that affects everything in a 2 kilometer radius. I would agree that would be dangerous.

desflood
03-04-2005, 12:50 PM
What is the spread on this thing? If you're zapping, say, the LA riots, is it dissipating enough to hit children on the same city block? Questions need to be asked before this bitch is unleashed. Who determines what is a riot and what is a protest?
I'd think that a riot would include violence, a protest not.

GoldToe
03-04-2005, 01:00 PM
What's wrong with the rubber bullets?

Useruser666
03-04-2005, 02:13 PM
What's wrong with the rubber bullets?

They kill people. They also can not effectively control large groups of people.

The weapon in question is not an area effecting device. It is an aimed device, that can hit small groups of people. The pain stops as soon as the device is turned off or the people leave the area off effect. That is why it is a novel idea. And if I was a protestor, I rather have non-leathal things being used against me. But maybe I'm crazy.

Clandestino
03-04-2005, 02:17 PM
i'm sure cops would take the same precautions with this device as they do with their lethal weapons...

bigzak25
03-04-2005, 02:22 PM
no, not for me dan, for tree hugging liberals that get violent or unorderly during their 'protests'.

Clandestino
03-04-2005, 02:26 PM
no, not for me dan, for tree hugging liberals that get violent or unorderly during their 'protests'.

:lol