PDA

View Full Version : Daschle-bag withdraws as nominee

DarrinS
02-03-2009, 03:31 PM
"No, we can't."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D964904G0&show_article=1

WASHINGTON (AP) - Tom Daschle withdrew his nomination on Tuesday to be President Barack Obama's Health and Human Services secretary, dealing potential blows to both speedy health care reform and Obama's hopes for a smoother start as president.
"Now we must move forward," Obama said in a written statement accepting "with sadness and regret" Daschle's surprise request to be removed from consideration. A day earlier, Obama had said he "absolutely" stood by Daschle in the face of problems over back taxes and potential conflicts of interest.

Daschle, the former Senate Democratic leader and a strong backer of Obama's presidential bid, said he would have been unable to operate "with the full faith of Congress and the American people."

"I am not that leader, and will not be a distraction" to Obama's agenda, he said.

Obama had given Daschle two jobs—to be White House health czar on top of the post leading the Health and Human Services Department—and Daschle is relinquishing the czar post too. The developments called into question whether Obama will be able to move as quickly as he has promised on sweeping health care reform—one of the pillars of his first 100 days agenda.

"It really sets us back a step," said Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill. "Because he was such a talent. I mean he understood Congress, serving in the House and Senate he certainly had the confidence of the president."

Daschle's stunning statement came less than three hours after another Obama nominee also withdrew from consideration, and also over tax problems. Nancy Killefer, nominated by Obama to be the government's first chief performance officer, said she didn't want her bungling of payroll taxes on her household help to be a distraction.

Daschle was the third high-profile Obama nominee to bow out. Obama initially had tapped Bill Richardson to be Commerce secretary, but the New Mexico governor withdrew amid a grand jury investigation into a state contract awarded to his political donors.

Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Daschle's former Democratic colleagues had rallied to his defense in the wake of questions about his failure to fully pay his taxes from 2005 through 2007. Last month, Daschle paid $128,203 in back taxes and $11,964 in interest.

"Tom made a mistake, which he has openly acknowledged," Obama said. "He has not excused it, nor do I. But that mistake and this decision cannot diminish the many contributions Tom has made to this country."

"I was a little stunned. I thought he was going to get confirmed," said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, the panel that would have voted on Daschle's nomination. "It's regrettable. He's a very good man."

Daschle also was facing questions about potential conflicts of interests related to the speaking fees he accepted from health care interests. Daschle also provided advice to health insurers and hospitals through his post-Senate work at a law firm.

It all proved too bitter a pill for senators to swallow, even for a former member of their club. Last week, the Senate confirmed Timothy Geithner as Treasury secretary despite his tax problems.

The controversy also has undercut Obama's promise to run a more ethical, responsible and special interest-free administration.

The withdrawal came after Republicans and major newspapers had been questioning Obama's initial decision to stick with Daschle.

Republican Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina said Obama was "losing credibility" with his statements in support of Daschle. "Part of leadership is recognizing when there has been a mistake made and responding quickly," the Republican said.

In an editorial, The New York Times described Daschle's ability to move "cozily between government and industry" as a cloud over any role he might play in changing the nation's health care system.

The Chicago Tribune opined that "Daschle is dispensable" and suggested that "to proclaim high standards and then suspend them exposes Obama to charges that he is either hypocritical or obtuse."

In a letter released Monday, Daschle sought to explain how he overlooked taxes on income for consulting work and the use of a car service. He also deducted more in charitable contributions than he should have. He also met with Senate Finance Committee members behind closed doors.

"It was completely inadvertent, but that's no excuse," he said. "I apologize to President Obama, to my colleagues and to the American people."

FreeMason
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Dood! You neo-con, don't you understand that this is the highest bar the White House Administration has EVER set in the history of this country?

:downspin:

ChumpDumper
02-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Good. He had too much baggage for the kind of agenda Obama seems to have for health care and a it's nice for folks upset about the tax thing. His "oversight" was more difficult to explain away than Geithner's.

DarrinS
02-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Good. He had too much baggage for the kind of agenda Obama seems to have for health care and a it's nice for folks upset about the tax thing. His "oversight" was more difficult to explain away than Geithner's.

Was he not properly vetted? <gasp> :wow

ChumpDumper
02-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Was he not properly vetted? <gasp> :wowI don't know how a vetter would know about the car service unless/until Daschle disclosed it.

If I read correctly, his "amending" of his charity deductions may have potentially been a worse problem, depending on how big the difference was.

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 03:48 PM
If I read correctly, his "amending" of his charity deductions may have potentially been a worse problem, depending on how big the difference was.You did. Daschle appears to be guilty of exaggerating his largesse on his tax forms.

MannyIsGod
02-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Why can't these sorry sons of bitches pay their fucking taxes?

MannyIsGod
02-03-2009, 03:51 PM
The funny thing is this is a legit gripe the right wingers should have and they didn't post about it. In fact they got beaten to the punch by the most self loathing obama supporeter i've ever seen.

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
The funny thing is this is a legit gripe the right wingers should have and they didn't post about it. In fact they got beaten to the punch by the most self loathing obama supporeter i've ever seen.Who please would that be?

MannyIsGod
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Who please would that be?

Who started the thread?

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Who started the thread?It never occurred to me.

I think DarrinG's an obvious lukewarm. Buyer's remorse. Why assume he hates himself? Maybe he just hates Obama.

Wild Cobra
02-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Dood! You neo-con, don't you understand that this is the highest bar the White House Administration has EVER set in the history of this country?

:downspin:
Dud...

Learn what a neocon is. Neither Darrin, myself, or most others you apply that to, aren't!

Wild Cobra
02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Why can't these sorry sons of bitches pay their fucking taxes?

Because they are elitists.

One of their motto's: Do as I say, not as I do.

Wild Cobra
02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
It never occurred to me.

I think DarrinG's an obvious lukewarm. Buyer's remorse. Why assume he hates himself? Maybe he just hates Obama.
But you guys would be all over such a topic four or eight years ago! Wouldn't you?

FreeMason
02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Dud...

Learn what a neocon is. Neither Darrin, myself, or most others you apply that to, aren't!

I was being sarcastic, because I know my good friend Chump was getting a comment like that ready.

That is in fact, the excuse the White House PR put out today LOL

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Dud...

Learn what a neocon is. Neither Darrin, myself, or most others you apply that to, aren't!Psst, Wild Cobra.

FreeMason's on your side. He's one of yours.

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
But you guys would be all over such a topic four or eight years ago! Wouldn't you?Never let your zeal for incoherence interfere with a good story.

Or is that, always let your zeal for incoherence ...

WTF does that mean, anyway? Four and eight years ago? You want to relitigate the early days of GWB?

By all means suit yourself, WC. I pass.

Winehole23
02-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Turn the effing page. Move on.

Wild Cobra
02-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Psst, Wild Cobra.

FreeMason's on your side. He's one of yours.
If you haven't noticed, I'm an equal opportunity offender. I don't just rag on libtards.

ChumpDumper
02-04-2009, 12:09 AM
:lol You guys don't know what neocons or elitists are.

ploto
02-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Definitely a new day in Washington:

President Barack Obama on Tuesday admitted he made a mistake in handling the nomination of Tom Daschle as his Health and Human Services secretary, saying Daschle's tax problems sent a message that the politically powerful are treated differently than average people.

Daschle, the former Democratic leader in the U.S. Senate, withdrew earlier Tuesday as news that he failed to pay some taxes in the past continued to stir opposition on Capitol Hill.

"I think I screwed up," Obama said in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper. "And, I take responsibility for it and we're going to make sure we fix it so it doesn't happen again."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/03/obama.daschle/index.html

Winehole23
02-04-2009, 01:20 AM
If you haven't noticed, I'm an equal opportunity offender. I don't just rag on libtards. You do nothing but. If ragging on FreeMason is your widow's mite to evenhandedness, count me unimpressed.

PixelPusher
02-04-2009, 01:24 AM
"I think I screwed up, and, I take responsibility for it and we're going to make sure we fix it so it doesn't happen again."
No, no, no...that's not how you handle the situation. Never apologize, that's a sign of weakness! Instead, stick to your guns, no matter what the consequences. Then, towards the end of your presidency, you go on a legacy tour where you give yourself several sanctimonious, self-congratualtory pats on the back for "making the tough decisions".

Winehole23
02-04-2009, 01:29 AM
But you guys would be all over such a topic four or eight years ago! Wouldn't you?I was all over it (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115863) yesterday.

florige
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
No, no, no...that's not how you handle the situation. Never apologize, that's a sign of weakness! Instead, stick to your guns, no matter what the consequences. Then, towards the end of your presidency, you go on a legacy tour where you give yourself several sanctimonious, self-congratualtory pats on the back for "making the tough decisions".

:lol

possessed
02-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Why can't these Democrats just be content with paying their "fair share"? :nope

MannyIsGod
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
But you guys would be all over such a topic four or eight years ago! Wouldn't you?

Do you know what prompted him to remove his name from consideration? It was an editorial in the NYT. You know, that paper that is sooooooooooooooo biased.

possessed
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Do you know what prompted him to remove his name from consideration? It was an editorial in the NYT. You know, that paper that is sooooooooooooooo biased.

Hmmm, they chose to report the news one day. Get them a big fat cookie.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm sure you read the NYT on a daily basis and are therefore the perfect person to comment on the coverage they give.

DarrinS
02-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Whoever wrote it will probably get fired soon.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Whoever wrote it will probably get fired soon.

The editorial board? Sure - they'll probably fire themselves.

DarrinS
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
The editorial board? Sure - they'll probably fire themselves.

They'll commit suicide if it harms lord Obama (sarcasm poored on extra thick so that even Manny will catch it).

Winehole23
02-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Counterpoint to the OP:

http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=605e31e2-d130-4f17-894d-409a1871cc8b

jack sommerset
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMaMT52CQtk

The guy is a douche bag