PDA

View Full Version : GM to hourly employees: Quit, we'll give you $20K and a coupon for a cheap car

CubanMustGo
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Doubt they'll have many takers - where are these guys going to find a new job?

http://www.freep.com/article/20090203/BUSINESS01/902030360

General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, both racing to cut costs and shed workers, are each starting new rounds of buyouts and early retirement packages for UAW workers.

GM is expected to announce new packages today that include $20,000 cash payments and $25,000 new vehicle vouchers, people familiar with the plan told the Free Press.

Most of GM's 62,000 UAW members are expected to get the offers.

Tony Sapienza, a GM spokesman, declined to comment.

Chrysler is also offering new buyout and retirement packages to most of its UAW members.

"Given the difficult economic and market conditions in the U.S., Chrysler LLC determined ... that it would offer another phase of special programs," a Chrysler statement said Monday. "The window election period for the majority of hourly represented skilled and nonskilled employees is between Feb. 2 and Feb. 25."

Chrysler will offer $50,000 and a vehicle voucher for people with enough seniority to be eligible for retirement. Others will be offered $75,000 and a vehicle voucher, a person familiar with the offers said.

Drachen
02-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Doubt they'll have many takers - where are these guys going to find a new job?

http://www.freep.com/article/20090203/BUSINESS01/902030360

General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, both racing to cut costs and shed workers, are each starting new rounds of buyouts and early retirement packages for UAW workers.

GM is expected to announce new packages today that include $20,000 cash payments and $25,000 new vehicle vouchers, people familiar with the plan told the Free Press.

Most of GM's 62,000 UAW members are expected to get the offers.

Tony Sapienza, a GM spokesman, declined to comment.

Chrysler is also offering new buyout and retirement packages to most of its UAW members.

"Given the difficult economic and market conditions in the U.S., Chrysler LLC determined ... that it would offer another phase of special programs," a Chrysler statement said Monday. "The window election period for the majority of hourly represented skilled and nonskilled employees is between Feb. 2 and Feb. 25."

Chrysler will offer $50,000 and a vehicle voucher for people with enough seniority to be eligible for retirement. Others will be offered $75,000 and a vehicle voucher, a person familiar with the offers said.

I can see this working because a certain amount of employees will think that they may be laid off if they don't take this. I mean the big three don't have to worry about the jobs bank anymore. I wonder if the voucher is transferrable.

Blake
02-03-2009, 04:31 PM
yeah, do I have to buy an American vehicle with my voucher?

Drachen
02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
yeah, do I have to buy an American vehicle with my voucher?

Ha, that would be great! No I meant can they sell it and get more cash.

JoeChalupa
02-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Damn, that sucks.

Blake
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Ha, that would be great! No I meant can they sell it and get more cash.

I'm betting no.

they'd probably have to buy the car and then turn and sell it.