PDA

View Full Version : Pop is a genius..

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2009, 11:20 PM
he's a fucking genius..

I don't care if we lose this game or not, he did the right thing..

Malik Hairston gets to play extended minutes, since the big 3 and Finley aren't playing..he got to actually get shots, and get in a rhythm..and what happens? Pop gets to see that he has a guy that can make an impact as a role player..his first game getting extended minutes, and he shows a lot vs. a good Denver team..

not only did we get to rest our key players, but we got to see Malik Hairston..

SequSpur
02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
whatever.. there is no geniality in losing

m33p0
02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
4pointgame.

alchemist
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
:toast

because resting on a back-2-back = immune to injuries. :bang

dastrey
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Pop's only bad decision was letting Udoka play tonight. The Nuggets are a joke.

xtremesteven33
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Pop shouldve gone for the kill in the 4th quarter by bringing Tim and Tony in.

HarlemHeat37
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I hope Hairston stays...we need a player like him this season..

Mason can't finish at the rim, and Finley can't move at all..so it's only logical that we have a different option at the 2/3..it would be a huge luxury if Manu isn't our only swingman that can go to the basket..

Hairston can put the ball on the floor, as he showed tonight..more importantly, he gets inside, and he has a lot of balls..

j.dizzle
02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
what the hell? the spurs next game is sunday so why didn't he play duncan & parker for a half atleast?..Every win is important in the west cuz the standings are so close but pop always has his reasons..

Austin_Toros
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
I hope Hairston stays...we need a player like him this season..

Mason can't finish at the rim, and Finley can't move at all..so it's only logical that we have a different option at the 2/3..it would be a huge luxury if Manu isn't our only swingman that can go to the basket..

Hairston can put the ball on the floor, as he showed tonight..more importantly, he gets inside, and he has a lot of balls..

Hairston looks really good and the spurs should play him when they can.
Hopefully Mike Fin will retire and Hairston will play a bigger role next season

xellos88330
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Hairston seems to have a knack for working on the offensive glass. He got alot of easy buckets because of his awareness and quick leaping ability. Reminds me a little bit of Malik Rose.

Yorae
02-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I think I should name my son malik.

Bender
02-03-2009, 11:52 PM
too bad hairston's ability to get to the line is wasted. He can't make a FT.

ManuTP9
02-03-2009, 11:55 PM
hairstons a keeper

Ice009
02-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Hairston seems to have a knack for working on the offensive glass. He got alot of easy buckets because of his awareness and quick leaping ability. Reminds me a little bit of Malik Rose.

Well Malik Hairston played tough and was physical. He also played bigger than his height. He's got some similarities to Malik Rose. I'm not sure about his defense yet, but I thought Malik played a pretty good game.

spurastic
02-04-2009, 12:00 AM
I like that Pop can think outside of the box. Make him a winner.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-04-2009, 12:02 AM
whatever.. there is no geniality in losing

QFT.

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 12:11 AM
As someone said earlier, watching Hairston made enduring this game more enjoyable.

I never realized how much this team was lacking a player who, other than Ginobili, can put the ball on the floor and aggressively go to the basket. Until I got a first-look at Hairston. He's got a quick first step and can really work the offensive glass. Seems to have a knack for being around the ball.

He certainly justified the Spurs faith in him. I definitely want to see more of him during the RRT. With a few more games like that, perhaps he'll earn a spot for the remainder of the season. Heck, maybe he'll even crack the rotation.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Hairston has some meat on him. I hope he gets in players heads like he did with Melo'.

EricB
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Hairston isn't even close to being in the rotation.

phyzik
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
It was dissapointing that we tanked the game, sure, But there are a few things I took away with this game. Our BENCH took a 33-16 (I think thats their record) team almost down to the wire. I think it was a statement game besides the loss.

1. Our bench isn't nearly as bad as we, and others, have made it out to be.

2. The experience for our 2nd stringers only helps the team prepare for the future.

3. Nuggets HAVE to feel dejected for BARELY beating a Spurs team without Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Finley while having their entire starting line-up.

4. Other teams are undoubtedly going to take note of our depth. This could be good or bad. Either way, its going to make people think twice about the Spurs.

5. We got to see what the Spurs will look like after Tim Duncan retires, and I have to say Im not THAT disapointed. We wont be title contenders but we wont exactly be the Clippers either.

I, for one, am not concerned with catching the Lakers in the standings, Spurs have showed me in the past that they dont NEED home court to win a series. This was not a "Must win" as much as Sequ makes it out to be. Let them rest, there is still alot of time in the season to turn on the jets.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2009, 12:32 AM
people really need to get the idea of catching LA out of their minds..we aren't catching them..this game wouldn't have made a difference..incase you guys forgot, they were a great team without Bynum last year too..they aren't going to lose enough to kill a 5-game lead in the conference..

Manufan909
02-04-2009, 12:36 AM
As someone said earlier, watching Hairston made enduring this game more enjoyable.

I never realized how much this team was lacking a player who, other than Ginobili, can put the ball on the floor and aggressively go to the basket. Until I got a first-look at Hairston. He's got a quick first step and can really work the offensive glass. Seems to have a knack for being around the ball.

He certainly justified the Spurs faith in him. I definitely want to see more of him during the RRT. With a few more games like that, perhaps he'll earn a spot for the remainder of the season. Heck, maybe he'll even crack the rotation.

Taking 10 or so of Fin's minutes, and all 2 of Ime's would be great.

And TP can go physically to the basket, or are you singling it down to players who can throw their body around as well?

Yorae
02-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I noticed when malik starts to drive, he gets fouled a lot.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-04-2009, 12:53 AM
what the hell? the spurs next game is sunday so why didn't he play duncan & parker for a half atleast?..Every win is important in the west cuz the standings are so close but pop always has his reasons..

He's making a statement to the league that the schedule makes this a meaningless game because Denver's going to win anyway, and the fact that Ginobili was banged up puts the icing on the cake.. So why not treat it for what it is, a practice game.

From a strategy point of view, it takes the air out of Denver's balloon. They wanted a big statement win over the Spurs, and now they don't have it.

And... what if the Spurs managed to win without their big 3? Not likely (maybe a 1 in 10 chance) but it could happen. Now THAT would be something.

Bender
02-04-2009, 12:53 AM
...and he can't make his FTs

Solid D
02-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Zo Mourning commented on NBAtv that Pop is an Einstein...always looking at the Big Picture, getting his role players ready for the playoffs. He also told Payton and Ahmad Rashad that the Spurs are ready for the playoffs, bench is rock solid, and nobody would want to face the Spurs in the first round.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2009, 01:05 AM
I noticed when malik starts to drive, he gets fouled a lot.
reading at some posts here, there are contrasting opinions how malik played. how did he play? what are his strengths/weaknesses?

exstatic
02-04-2009, 01:14 AM
3. Nuggets HAVE to feel dejected for BARELY beating a Spurs team without Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Finley while having their entire starting line-up.

Pop just mentally destroyed Denver tonight. No big 3, and they barely beat us? :lmao The tiebreaker with them means nothing if we don't get it. They're through, even if they host the second round.

raspsa
02-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Zo Mourning commented on NBAtv that Pop is an Einstein...always looking at the Big Picture, getting his role players ready for the playoffs. He also told Payton and Ahmad Rashad that the Spurs are ready for the playoffs, bench is rock solid, and nobody would want to face the Spurs in the first round.

I thought Mourning came across as credible and insightful. Payton is just horrible.. he's toned it down a bit but likes to say outrageous statements just to create controversy but just winds up looking stupid.. at least barkley could pull it off with some humor.. Payton just sounds bitter.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2009, 01:17 AM
I didn't watch Malik play in the D-league, so you'd have to get Chump(or somebody else) opinion on him..

as for tonight..

he drew 4 or 5 fouls off the dribble(none of them resulted in FTs though)..he pushed whoever he was matched up with around down low..he had a nice transition dunk..he wrestled a rebound away from one of Denver's bigs(can't remember who) that led to an and-1..

on D, he wasn't great, but he was matched up with Anthony..3 of his 5 fouls were bullshit IMO..2 of them were ticky tack due to covering Anthony, and the other BS one was an offensive foul where Dahntay Jones was clearly moving..

he's athletic, tough as hell, and he played physical tonight..he finished well at the rim..

it was very encouraging because of who he was playing with/against..he did this vs. a good team and against their starters too..he did it while playing with a bunch of other role players..there wasn't ONE guy on the Spurs lineup that could draw a double team in any way, yet he managed to produce..that's a big boost for a guy like Hairston..

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2009, 01:19 AM
'Zo is one of my favorite all-time players, I wish he would have considered playing for us this year..he would have been a solid addition..even at this age, he could have provided shot blocking, strength, and toughness..

crc21209
02-04-2009, 01:19 AM
Pop is the man, how in the fuck did this team with no TP, TD, Manu, and Fin almost steal this game? It was amazing how hard they played tonight and I give em big props I love this team. Pop did multiple things tonight, he:

1. Messed with Denver's mind, they should be really fucked in the head now thinking they barely beat a Spurs team without their Big 3 + Fin.

2. He helped the bench/role players get some groove/confidence by going out there and competing.

3. I think he tried to establish a rotation. At this point, Hill should continue to be the backup, and Hairston has got to take Udoka's spot in the rotation. So something like this:

PG- TP, Hill, Vaughn.
SG- Mason, Ginobili.
SF- Finley, Bowen, Hairston, Udoka.
PF- TD, Thomas.
C- Bonner, Oberto.

Overall I think this game was a win for us. Our bench competed against a playoff caliber team that was healthy, we got some much needed rest for the big 3, and also no one got hurt.

crc21209
02-04-2009, 01:21 AM
ONE thing that pissed me off about tonight was the free thow disparity. I mean sure a +10 towards the home team maybe, but Denver shot 37 free throws to the Spurs 14. It's not like the Spurs were not being aggresive because they were, and Denver (most notably Carmelo) could not even be laid a finger on. What kinda shit is that? And most fouls on the Spurs were ticky tack bad calls also, while the Spurs were getting hacked at the other end, most notably I think Hill and Vaughn on drives.

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2009, 01:32 AM
it was definitely poorly officiated..

Anthony got every ticky-tack call possible..Roger got called for 3 push-off fouls, while they let Anthony fucking Carter get away with one that would have been crucial, since there wasn't much time left..they took Bowen out of the game in the 1st on a horrible call, which allowed Anthony to face our other defenders and get in a good rhythm..

urunobili
02-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Pop shouldve gone for the kill in the 4th quarter by bringing Tim and Tony in.

I thought that from the very first minute when at least TP and TD were on the bench with playing gear on... :depressed

in another note... Damn i like Malik's game a lot... :downspin:

AntiChrist
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
There's a reason why Pop has been so successful in the last 10 years. I'll leave it at that.

Those guys played their asses off for Pop.

Dave McNulla
02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
pop did this to the suns in 2005. the owner of the suns, sarver i think, was doing some kind of chicken dance. he wasn't dancing after they were almost swept.

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 09:17 AM
There's a reason why Pop has been so successful in the last 10 years. I'll leave it at that.

Those guys played their asses off for Pop.

I don't believe another coach in the league would have the foresight and cahones to make that decision.

hater
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
you fools

Pop did this because he was sick of the "we will catch the lakers" BS threads that have been going around. that and to piss off sequ

JWest596
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
5. We got to see what the Spurs will look like after Tim Duncan retires, and I have to say Im not THAT disapointed. We wont be title contenders but we wont exactly be the Clippers either.

The Spurs since coming into existence have missed the post season only 4 times. It's the Best in the NBA (Lakers in second place, once with Kobe). We have always been a very winning team.

We stank in the post Ice-Pre DROB and were very close to being sold until the Admiral saved the franchise. We got Tim the 4th time. We have been a very blessed team from Ice to DROB to TD.

TampaDude
02-04-2009, 11:53 AM
CIA Pop :hat :flag:

NugzFan
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Pop just mentally destroyed Denver tonight. No big 3, and they barely beat us? :lmao The tiebreaker with them means nothing if we don't get it. They're through, even if they host the second round.

he didnt mentally destroy us. we werent 100% either and we still won.

in the nba, a win is a win.

but now without billups, we are in trouble tonight vs OKC. :(

NugzFan
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Pop is the man, how in the fuck did this team with no TP, TD, Manu, and Fin almost steal this game? It was amazing how hard they played tonight and I give em big props I love this team. Pop did multiple things tonight, he:

1. Messed with Denver's mind, they should be really fucked in the head now thinking they barely beat a Spurs team without their Big 3 + Fin.

had we lost, i could see that but come april/may if we do meet in the playoffs, this team wont remember nor care about this game in early february.

it wont make us more confident that we won 2 of 3 nor less confident knowing it was against the spurs without the big 3. you guys are going way to psychological into this.

lefty
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Pop IS a freaking genius

He sat out our big 3, and we nearly won on the road

Poooooooooooooooooooooooooop, I love you :toast

crc21209
02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Hmmmm maybe Pop knows something we dont and he is a genius lol. Right now, alot of West teams are in action losing to lesser teams.

LA just squeaked by Toronto.
Chicago hammering New Orleans 71-49 in the 3rd.
OKC beating Denver 77-66 in the 3rd.
Memphis beating Houston 78-64 in the 3rd.
Dallas also beating Portland 57-45 at half.