PDA

View Full Version : I'm Pissed. This was a must win game....

SequSpur
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
and Pop tanked just like Ghostwriter said he would. That is piss poor. Oh, let me guess.. Ginobili wasn't going to show up because he earned some keep, so Pop pulled out the good ol, we got in late wah excuse and blamed the nba schedulers..

smb... there are kids in the stands that paid to see parker, duncan and manu and nothing...

they got to see jacque vaughn.

you see, there is no entertainment.. when is the next time I waste money on a ticket and show up and Pop decides to tank????

Fucking ridiculous.. I would rather bowl than waste money on this team.

So much for last night. Ridiculous. I am pissed. Some of you dumbfucks think its cool and Pop pulled a fast one. Well that's fucking gay.. you were probably the dumbfuck that couldn't go out to recess and play kick ball because you were a retard and couldn't say your abcs. Just like ducks..

fuck... why do I have cable to see this shit... Jacque Vaughn? it's over..

:pctoss

Shastafarian
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Why was it a must win game?

ducks
02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
why could you not post this in the other thread attention whore

SequSpur
02-03-2009, 11:30 PM
why could you not post this in the other thread attention whore

fuck off and go take your retard medicine.

ducks
fuck off and go take your retard medicine.
ladies first

Obstructed_View
Drunk attention whore midget with nothing interesting to say forum.

m33p0
you're pissed. big deal.

Shastafarian
02-03-2009, 11:31 PM
:lol You know you suck when you get owned by ducks.

CubanSucks
and Pop tanked just like Ghostwriter said he would. That is piss poor. Oh, let me guess.. Ginobili wasn't going to show up because he earned some keep, so Pop pulled out the good ol, we got in late wah excuse and blamed the nba schedulers..

smb... there are kids in the stands that paid to see parker, duncan and manu and nothing...

you see, there is no entertainment.. when is the next time I waste money on a ticket and show up and Pop decides to tank????

So much for last night. Ridiculous. I am pissed. Some of you dumbfucks think its cool and Pop pulled a fast one. Well that's fucking gay.. you were probably the dumbfuck that couldn't go out to recess and play kick ball because you were a retard and couldn't say your abcs. Just like ducks..

shut up
http://rhinestonesportswear.com/sitebuilder/images/Drama_Queen-360x347.jpg

Jayem
tie breaker

pop should be fined and suspended for this

Shastafarian
02-03-2009, 11:32 PM
tie breaker

Oh I forgot the Spurs can't beat the Nuggets in Denver.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
tie breaker

Dumbass comment pirate video sharing picture stealing forum.

SequSpur
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
tie breaker

exactly.

Shastafarian
02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
exactly.

Excuse me but don't post a dumbass thread based on no information, then steal someone else's idea and act like it was yours the entire time.

tlongII
02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
A suspension and a large fine would be in order here.

jag
02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Why was this a "must win" game, sweetheart?

I'd honestly like to know why you care?

703 Spurz
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
A new day, a new negative thought. I dunno how this board has put up with this whiny motherfucker this long

Shastafarian
02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
A new day, a new negative thought. I dunno how this board has put up with this whiny motherfucker this long

Trolls create traffic.

Austin_Toros
02-03-2009, 11:38 PM
why did Pop rest TP and Duncan?
couldn't he just give them less game time instead of resting them the whole game?

m33p0
02-03-2009, 11:38 PM
they had the cold. see how easy it is to make an excuse?

ss1986v2
02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Well that's fucking gay.. you were probably the dumbfuck that couldn't go out to recess and play kick ball because you were a retard and couldn't say your abcs.

it actually goes "abcd"...

:downspin:

braeden0613
02-03-2009, 11:40 PM
this thread sucks forum

benefactor
02-03-2009, 11:40 PM
lol this thread....

Thompson
02-03-2009, 11:43 PM
tie breaker

Are we really worried about owning the tie breaker with the Nuggets? Unless we get injured, I don't see the tie breaker having any impact on the standings this year.

exstatic
02-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Sequ - If you've been drinking, stop. If you haven't, have about 4 Crown and Cokes and crash.

Jayem
02-03-2009, 11:48 PM
why did Pop rest TP and Duncan?
couldn't he just give them less game time instead of resting them the whole game?exactly. imma punch pop in the face next time i see him...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2dnt4y.gif

ducks
02-03-2009, 11:49 PM
if you were pissed why did you wait to start this thread to find out if spurs won or lost
should not matter the outcome of the game

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-03-2009, 11:54 PM
exactly. imma punch pop in the face next time i see him...

Excellent, you'll go to jail and we won't have to read your dross.

Cry Havoc
02-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Weakest thread ever crybaby forum.

ManuTP9
02-03-2009, 11:59 PM
i agree with the part about the fans who went to that game who were spurs fans got a fucking bad game lol no tim manu or parker.

ducks
02-04-2009, 12:09 AM
if you were pissed why did you wait to start this thread to find out if spurs won or lost
should not matter the outcome of the game

waiting

EricB
02-04-2009, 12:17 AM
Attention whore forum..

MannyIsGod
02-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Sequ >>>>>> Most posters here

ducks
02-04-2009, 12:21 AM
waiting

ehz33satx
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM

He doesn't really mean it. He is just trying to get a rise out of people. He is probably at home, propped up in his booster seat, having a chuckle.

phyzik
02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
It was not a must win game, calm down Sequ and drink some more Crown. Spurs are second in the West, they dont NEED to be first.

Manufan909
02-04-2009, 12:29 AM
exactly. imma punch pop in the face next time i see him...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2dnt4y.gif

Worst Super Bowl commercial EVER.

vander
02-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Aren't these guys athletes? how fucking hard is it to play 70 minutes of basketball in 24 hours.
I'm fat and lazy, and I can still roll down to the park and play 2 hours of basketball after playing 2 hours of basketball the night before.

:rolleyes

ss1986v2
02-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Worst Super Bowl commercial EVER.

was one of my favorites of the night, actually. but it was a weak crop this year...

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-04-2009, 12:36 AM
thanks for the tiebreaker Pop, it may come in handy for the Nuggets :smokin

NRHector
02-04-2009, 12:38 AM

:pctossI think you need some seriuos anger management therapy

ElNono
02-04-2009, 12:40 AM
Whiny little bitch pussy ass backwards pathetic thread forum...

tp2021
02-04-2009, 12:43 AM
and Pop tanked just like Ghostwriter said he would.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Sequ is a member of the Church of GW now!

:rollin

YoMamaIsCallin
02-04-2009, 12:50 AM
If I'd gone to the game I would have enjoyed it and felt I got my money's worth. Seeing Mason make the Nuggets whizz their shorts in fear that they would lose. Seeing Malik Hairston, who will play in this league, have his first meaningful NBA game. Seeing that punk ass retarded criminal 14-year-old who can only do one thing, shoot the ball, get owned by Spurs defenders multiple times. (Carmelo Anthony if you haven't figured it out). And watching him jog upcourt as his man streaks for a dunk, and watching Karl put his head in his hands on the bench and then gaze up towards the ceiling. That game would have been extremely entertaining.

KaiRMD1
02-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Why so serious?

Ghost Writer.
02-04-2009, 12:55 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Sequ is a member of the Church of GW now!

:rollin

No, Sequ is not allowed in the church of GW!

Kori Ellis
02-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Trolls create traffic.

That would be a good argument, if we made money of the traffic here.

Anyway, people are allowed to rant during/after games. That's how it's always been here. In the wee hours of the morning, I go thru and merge threads together to clean things up.

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-04-2009, 04:55 AM
LEAD: On the eve of the opening of the National Basketball Association playoffs, Commissioner David Stern yesterday fined the Los Angeles Lakers $25,000 because Coach Pat Riley failed to play two healthy starters Sunday night in Portland in the Lakers' final game of the season.

On the eve of the opening of the National Basketball Association playoffs, Commissioner David Stern yesterday fined the Los Angeles Lakers $25,000 because Coach Pat Riley failed to play two healthy starters Sunday night in Portland in the Lakers' final game of the season.

Magic Johnson and James Worthy suited up for the game and participated in pregame warm-ups, but did not play in the game, which the Lakers lost, 130-88, to the Trail Blazers. The defeat was the worst in Laker history, but the outcome had no effect on playoff matchups.

Riley also held out the veteran center Mychal Thompson, who is also a starter but had been out earlier this month because of a knee injury. Riley said after the game that he rested the three because he didn't want to risk injury to significant players before the playoffs.

Jerry Buss, the Lakers' owner, apologized yesterday to Trail Blazer fans and added in a statement that ''our fans would have been disappointed if the same thing happened here.''

Rod Thorn, the league's vice president for operations, said the N.B.A. had also fined the Lakers in 1985 when Riley held Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar out of the team's regular-season finale.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE2DF133CF936A15757C0A9669582 60

That would suck, i hope he would do it again next time against the Nuggets. In fact, if they meet in the playoffs, can the big 3 rest for about 4 games? :lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-04-2009, 04:57 AM
oh, and of course im joking. No way can the NBA do anything about it. Teams rest players all the time when it's coming around to the playoffs, so why can't a team do it after a b2b OT win?

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-04-2009, 05:00 AM
He could have just said they had flu or something. Pop wanted to make a statement on fan's night. Even if he's fined, which I doubt, it'd still be a good move.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2009, 05:03 AM
25k doesnt mean much anyway....

obama is going to bail out pop anyway by purchasing 25k bottles of his finest wine

m33p0
02-04-2009, 05:19 AM
why would he? nuggets fans are happy coz their team won. spurs fans come home with a moral victory. pop was able to rest his big guns. scrubs able to play with meaningful minutes. anthony was able to say it was a statement game(huh?). except for a few fakers fans who seemed irked about it, everybody is happy.

Xylus
02-04-2009, 06:01 AM
why would he? nuggets fans are happy coz their team won. spurs fans come home with a moral victory. pop was able to rest his big guns. scrubs able to play with meaningful minutes. anthony was able to say it was a statement game(huh?). except for a few fakers fans who seemed irked about it, everybody is happy.

Not me. It'd be nice for us fans of lower-seeded teams if the Nuggets lost some games.

cool hand
02-04-2009, 07:28 AM
This smells real bad.

m33p0
02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
:rolleyes

cool hand
02-04-2009, 07:37 AM
it was weird, a day off? then when they could have won in the fourth he doesn't send in tony or tim.

I guess this is pop's way of saying (fuck you league) I will win my way.

Shastafarian
02-04-2009, 07:51 AM
That would be a good argument, if we made money of the traffic here.Never said it was about money. Traffic keeps sites up and running. I mentioned it before but Sequ is kinda like LadySpur in that regard. He posts these inane threads which get people posting. :tu

YODA
02-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Props to POP for even trying this. LEts try and get inside just a little bit here. On a back to back, where PoP publicly said he didnt like the NBA scheduling on on this these current games, eh decides to make a statement.

1. Manu really does get banged up. Decides that on a back to back, he obviously will be held out In Denver.

2. Timmy And Parker, having played in OT a night earlier and been playing big minutes of late, Pop thinks he needs to reel in those minutes. Decides not to put the pressure on Timmy to perform on a Back to back and sits them both. While he his at it, decides Fin too might as well take a rest.

3. Gee, this gives me a chance for a few players to get some playing time and some confidence, most notibly, ROGER MASON, who of recent, has been lost in how to blend in with tony and Manu.

4. Also gives him an oppertnity to see new player Malic Harriston to what he can do in an NBA game.

5. Ime, given the oppertunity...will he perform?

6. what can my bigs do without Timmy?

7. The NBA will think twice about making some wild schedules for POP...We cant have teaMS FANS watching the Spurs wondering if the Stars will be playing on back to backs.
This is very important to the NBA.

8. Over all, I love the move, rests his stars, gets time for his bench and gets to see how they play with no help from the Big Three.

9. The outcome, ? Rogers confidence back, and Malic might be a good project. and a few pissed off spur and nugget fans.

Bigzax
02-04-2009, 08:48 AM
healthy and a ticket to the playoffs...all we should care about.

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Never said it was about money. Traffic keeps sites up and running. I mentioned it before but Sequ is kinda like LadySpur in that regard. He posts these inane threads which get people posting. :tu

Why do you have to drag my name into this? :lol

Shastafarian
02-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Why do you have to drag my name into this? :lol

Well it's sorta true. Take a look at the Cantina now. It's hilarious how there are no posts. Sequ and some others here help keep the posts flowing sometimes. This place has more members though, so I'm not sure it's always needed.

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 08:59 AM
The only thing me and Sequ have in common is that we both like Crown Royal. The end.

spurster
02-04-2009, 09:13 AM
It's not a must win, but there are several days rest until the next game. I don't see why TD and TP could not play reduced minutes.

It's fine to poke the eyes of NBA schedulers, but poking the eyes of the fans leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

wildbill2u
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Considering the NBA is entertainment and the fans and sponsors expect to see the stars play as part of the entertainment offered, I'd be surprised if the league didn't do something.

Imagine a TV exec explaining to sponsors that the reason the ratings are down on the time purchased for their ads is because teams are withholding stars from the games for strategic purposes.

Teams have been able to get away with resting stars at the end of the season if the team is already locked into a spot in the playoffs. I'm not sure that will extend into regular season games.

traitoravery
02-04-2009, 09:25 AM
also nationally televised on NBA TV. Pop sending a big FUCK YOU to the NBA. :rollin

hater
02-04-2009, 09:27 AM
fuck NBATV

gary payton makes that halftime show look cheap

Odin-Loon
02-04-2009, 09:39 AM

Look Cheap? He is CHEAP, I have never liked the "glove"

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
fuck NBATV

Gary Payton makes any TV appearance look cheap.

rascal
02-04-2009, 09:51 AM
I can't believe the spurs tanked the game. They can't play Duncan and parker because they are too tired? Thats crazy, suck it up and play, thats why you get paid millions.

honestfool84
02-04-2009, 09:53 AM
I can't believe the spurs tanked the game. They can't play Duncan and parker because they are too tired? Thats crazy, suck it up and play, thats why you get paid millions.

+1

ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY HAVE TILL SUNDAY TO PLAY THEIR NEXT GAME.

i don't understand that.

Rogue
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
spurs are still stably sitting in the leading seat of SW devision, so there's no "must win" game for the spurs, at least before the all-star weekend.

TheDarkSide.
02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Must win? Fuck you to the fans? I'd rather rest Timmy and Tony because they really have no all star break, also seeing the big 3 benched made me excited as a fan so i could see our 2nd unit at work to see how we fare against a top team in the west.

lefty
02-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Sequ

Pop has to give some rest to his key players from time to time.

Do you want to have one the big 3 memebers to be injured come playoff time?

I guess not

koriwhat
02-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I would rather bowl than waste money on this team.
get out the bumpers 'cause the kids wants to play.

you were probably the dumbfuck that couldn't go out to recess and play kick ball because you were a retard and couldn't say your abcs.
and you were probably the dumbfuck that couldn't get on any of the rides at fiesta texas 'cause you had to be "this" tall in order to ride. retard!

why do I have cable to see this shit...
so you can waste a ton of money... i have no cable and still watched the game in hd on my big screen. money in the bank!

is spurstalk your only outlet to act like an even bigger douche? i don't get it... everyday there is a new thread started by you and every time i open your threads nothing but negativity spills out. i hope pop withholds our big3 again someday and where's a "fuck you sequ" shirt during that game.

Flux451
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Man, does any one understand the higher probability of some getting injured in a back to back after a hard fought, tiresome game. If it was against a half court team, then it would be different, but the pace of the Warriors makes it even more difficult.

Suck it up, its a lost that was worth taking. Plus, Malik got the PT he needed to prove himself, now he may get inserted into the rotation occasionally based off his energy.

temujin
02-04-2009, 11:54 AM

There are two types of NBA players.

Those that get payed millions to play. The majority.
Those that get payed millions to win. A minority.

Enjoy the minority while you can.

NugzFan
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
If I'd gone to the game I would have enjoyed it and felt I got my money's worth. Seeing Mason make the Nuggets whizz their shorts in fear that they would lose. Seeing Malik Hairston, who will play in this league, have his first meaningful NBA game. Seeing that punk ass retarded criminal 14-year-old who can only do one thing, shoot the ball, get owned by Spurs defenders multiple times. (Carmelo Anthony if you haven't figured it out). And watching him jog upcourt as his man streaks for a dunk, and watching Karl put his head in his hands on the bench and then gaze up towards the ceiling. That game would have been extremely entertaining.

huh? melo played great - 35 pts (on good shooting), 9 boards, couple steals. mason played well but didnt scare the nuggets into thinking they would lose.

i still dont get why pop didnt play duncan and manu but good game guys. :toast

rascal
02-04-2009, 12:19 PM
There are two types of NBA players.

Those that get payed millions to play. The majority.
Those that get payed millions to win. A minority.

Enjoy the minority while you can.

You can't win if you don't play.

Bartleby
02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
You can't win if you don't play.

You can't win if you can't play.

bus driver
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM

+1

rascal
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
You can't win if you can't play.

And why could they not play?

Bartleby
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
And why could they not play?

They could have played, but they were already tired and banged up from the previous night. Chances of injury go up with fatigue, and if one of the big three gets seriously injured then they aren't winning anything. Try to see the big picture here.

rascal
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM
They could have played, but they were already tired and banged up from the previous night. Chances of injury go up with fatigue, and if one of the big three gets seriously injured then they aren't winning anything. Try to see the big picture here.

I knew you would throw out that bullshit about getting injured.

Bartleby
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I knew you would throw out that bullshit about getting injured.

So the Spurs should go balls out during the regular season because they rarely get injured, and when they do they can always play through it, just like last year, right? :rolleyes

spurster
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Undoubtedly, there is a lot of griping in the league about away back-to-backs and Pop's decision is a protest. I don't buy the injury angle.

DrHouse
02-04-2009, 01:20 PM
So the Spurs should go balls out during the regular season because they rarely get injured, and when they do they can always play through it, just like last year, right? :rolleyes

Yes playing a b2b game is going balls out. I mean no other team in the NBA has to do that.

DAF86
02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
It wasn't a must win game, but I wouldn't have rested the big 3 (well Manu maybe if he was trully banged up). I don't see how playing Tim and Tony for 25/28 minutes would had been so terrible for their bodies.

Bartleby
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Yes playing a b2b game is going balls out. I mean no other team in the NBA has to do that.

Playing your starters to win a game in Denver the night after getting an overtime win in which your starters get major minutes is going balls out. If other teams don't manage the minutes of their key players, that's their problem. If, on the other hand, they sit them out to rest them, it's fine with me.

big daddy russ
02-04-2009, 01:35 PM
tie breaker

For real? That's why this was a 'must-win game?'

2007-3rd seed in West, 2nd place in Division
2005-2nd seed in West

In '05 and '07 we visited the Suns in the playoffs. We beat them both times. That turned out well for them.

Don't worry about an early-February game. We were missing Ginobili and Parker for a while and we're still in the thick of it. We'll be just fine.

Brazil
02-04-2009, 02:19 PM

Yeah but to begin with playing back to back game is a fucking total non sense !

All the NBA teams should do the same and tank these games to oblige Stern to eradicate this crazy shit.

Some of the fans here regret the pop decision because kids are paying their ticket to see TD TP and Manu but in the same time we know that the teams playing a btb game 20 hours are at 50%.

The wrong here is to oblige professional team to play BtB games not pop decision to rest his guys.

Chomag
02-04-2009, 02:31 PM

And guys get injured in just practice...
Look, injurys can happen at anytime no matter what game it is so I can't really buy the whole "protecting from injury thing"

I don't know... I think I can understand why Pop decided to rest the stars and it really was nice to see our bench get some minutes burn

However these guys are professional athletes and are payed very well to be entertainers. Would you be pissed if you bought tickets to a music concert and the lead singer or band decided to take that night off?

Heh,I wish I could call in to work everytime I felt tiered, but then again that would be alot of days off. lol

e20dylan
02-04-2009, 03:11 PM

fuck... why do I have cable to see this shit... Jacqu? it's over..

go fucking bowl then you short faggot. all you do is trash your own team. pop is a genius get off his nuts get off the spurs nuts get off ginobilis nuts go be a god damn laker fan your posts are fucking pathetic as are you. you are the biggest chump fuck on this board and there are actually laker fans on here that are nothing compared to you

seriously after our rodeo road trip. id love to meet you at a spurs game. if you even live in the area. bandwagon faggot

koriwhat
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
go fucking bowl then you short faggot. all you do is trash your own team. pop is a genius get off his nuts get off the spurs nuts get off ginobilis nuts go be a god damn laker fan your posts are fucking pathetic as are you. you are the biggest chump fuck on this board and there are actually laker fans on here that are nothing compared to you

seriously after our rodeo road trip. id love to meet you at a spurs game. if you even live in the area. bandwagon faggot

Go SPURS Go! :lmao

EJK5032
02-04-2009, 05:13 PM
idiot

SequSpur
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM

lol

Spurs Brazil
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
PER Diem: Feb. 4, 2009Comment Email Print By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

Say this about Gregg Popovich: He's not afraid to be unorthodox.

I can't think of a single other coach in the league who would do what he did last night. Of course, it helps to have the job security that comes with wining four championships. Only Phil Jackson is as confident in his future as Popovich is.

Daily Gems
Here are John Hollinger's top five NBA observations for Wednesday. Insider

Hinrich a solution in Orlando?
Potential H-O-R-S-E participants
Bogut's injury affecting playoffs
Finally healthy in Houston
Boston back on top
Still, it's pretty amazing to see three All-Star-caliber players sit out a game, given how tightly packed the Western Conference seeding race is. It's even more amazing when that game is against the Spurs' likely rival for the conference's second seed, or when you just saw all three players looking spry and healthy a night earlier in an overtime win against Golden State.

Nonetheless, Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Tony Parker all sat out last night's 104-96 loss to Denver, a game the Nuggets tried very hard to give away, and probably would have had the Spurs sent in the varsity.

The loss pulled Denver within a game of San Antonio in the race for the West's No. 2 seed; since the two don't play again this season, it also handed the Nuggets the season tiebreaker at 2-1.

Here's the really weird part: The Spurs have four days off before playing in Boston on Sunday, and next week they get the All-Star break.

OK, now for the part I can understand: Duncan and Parker played 43 minutes and Ginobili played 35 in an overtime win in Golden State the night before. That game started at 7:30 p.m. Pacific Time; the one last night in Denver started at 6 p.m. Pacific, so the team only had 22½ hours between games and a very long flight; going Oakland to Denver is about as far-flung a back-to-back as you'll see. Throw in the altitude and it was going to be a very rough night for the Spurs' three stars.

Popovich also manages the big picture as well as any coach in the league, which is why his teams always hit their peak in the spring. So you have to respect his track record in this department.

Nonetheless, this game in particular was an odd time to make this choice, as it could end up putting the Spurs on the road in the second round of the playoffs.

Of course, perhaps it was all a ploy to avoid giving Denver a psychological advantage. The Spurs have had the Nuggets' number in recent playoff series, and perhaps Popovich thought taking a tired team into Denver and losing would embolden the Nuggets come May. Thus, perhaps he figured a calculated gamble in February was worth potentially losing a Game 7 at home in the playoffs.

One other idle thought: I'm not sure if Spurs fans are upset by what happened last night. But I guarantee Blazers fans are.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090204

DPG21920
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Sequ, will you party with DPG?

Brazil
02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
One other idle thought: I'm not sure if Spurs fans are upset by what happened last night. But I guarantee Blazers fans are.

Pop wanted to fuck Tlong

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm bothered more with the martyrs/Stan Marshes for Pop, than Pop's decision, (since it was just one measly regular season game.)
Anyone who wants to hide behind the "championship coach! name me one coach you'd rather have for the Spurs...if you don't like it than you cannn getttouutt" cop-out, is missing the point. I'll take Jordan's side when he would say it's about the fans, and giving their money's worth when it came to playing every night. Q

uestioning Pop on this is no different than disagreeing with him, from a fan standpoint, on his surrendering of games before the 4th quarter.
Pop could have easily tested both the new players, and preserved our players, and gotten a win by sending Timmy or Tony in the second half to help get us another win.
It is an example of Pop going overboard with the "big picture" philosophy. And I don't buy it because the Boston game isn't even on Thurs or Fri, it's on Sunday! :lol

Reducing players minutes, in their twilight like Bruce, Horry and Shaq is one thing, arbitrarily taking out prime players who were usable for no reason other than an arbitrarily motivated ones is another.
Last time I checked, there's a difference between sitting players out AFTER teams have clinched their division or whatever, and doing it in the very middle of the regular season competition. Unorthodox is an understatement. It was just a wasted game for fans to watch.

Pop's sixth man strategy was good, and other teams have adopted it since. This strategy however for the sake of "guaranteed health" (heaven forbid it shows up again) being adopted by others would be a nightmare.

Josepatches_
02-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Lakers had a lot of problems to win today against the reps without Calderon and Bosch.They were down when Bosch wasn't injured.They will play tomorrow in Boston.They are going to have more problems to win games without Bynum and this year they don't have Turiaf in the bench.
Maybe we are not going to be the 1st of the west but it's early to quit the fight.

When we have to play agaisnt them in the playoffs we will see how important it's to be the best team of the west.Last year we need 7 games against the Hornets because they had home court advantage.I'm pretty sure we could win before 7 games if we had began the series in SA.And I'm pretty sure 6 games against Phoenix with those 7 games were important to be tired against the Lakers.
It's not the same to be 1st than 2nd or even 3rd.It's February and yesterday we only had 5 games lost more than them.And we will play one game against them in SA.

TD and Tony didn't need to be 40+ minutes against the Warriors and none against Denver.They could play 30 minutes both games.

K-State Spur
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
PER Diem: Feb. 4, 2009Comment Email Print By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

Say this about Gregg Popovich: He's not afraid to be unorthodox.

I can't think of a single other coach in the league who would do what he did last night. Of course, it helps to have the job security that comes with wining four championships. Only Phil Jackson is as confident in his future as Popovich is.

Daily Gems
Here are John Hollinger's top five NBA observations for Wednesday. Insider

Hinrich a solution in Orlando?
Potential H-O-R-S-E participants
Bogut's injury affecting playoffs
Finally healthy in Houston
Boston back on top
Still, it's pretty amazing to see three All-Star-caliber players sit out a game, given how tightly packed the Western Conference seeding race is. It's even more amazing when that game is against the Spurs' likely rival for the conference's second seed, or when you just saw all three players looking spry and healthy a night earlier in an overtime win against Golden State.

Nonetheless, Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan and Tony Parker all sat out last night's 104-96 loss to Denver, a game the Nuggets tried very hard to give away, and probably would have had the Spurs sent in the varsity.

The loss pulled Denver within a game of San Antonio in the race for the West's No. 2 seed; since the two don't play again this season, it also handed the Nuggets the season tiebreaker at 2-1.

Here's the really weird part: The Spurs have four days off before playing in Boston on Sunday, and next week they get the All-Star break.

OK, now for the part I can understand: Duncan and Parker played 43 minutes and Ginobili played 35 in an overtime win in Golden State the night before. That game started at 7:30 p.m. Pacific Time; the one last night in Denver started at 6 p.m. Pacific, so the team only had 22½ hours between games and a very long flight; going Oakland to Denver is about as far-flung a back-to-back as you'll see. Throw in the altitude and it was going to be a very rough night for the Spurs' three stars.

Popovich also manages the big picture as well as any coach in the league, which is why his teams always hit their peak in the spring. So you have to respect his track record in this department.

Nonetheless, this game in particular was an odd time to make this choice, as it could end up putting the Spurs on the road in the second round of the playoffs.

Of course, perhaps it was all a ploy to avoid giving Denver a psychological advantage. The Spurs have had the Nuggets' number in recent playoff series, and perhaps Popovich thought taking a tired team into Denver and losing would embolden the Nuggets come May. Thus, perhaps he figured a calculated gamble in February was worth potentially losing a Game 7 at home in the playoffs.

John Hollinger writes for ESPN Insider. To e-mail him, click here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090204

Did you leave out the section where he talks about how disastrous that loss will be in his power rankings?

mookie2001
02-04-2009, 09:51 PM
I was thinking after three good games for manu is was time for him to be "banged up"