PDA

View Full Version : Malik Hairston!

timtonymanu
02-04-2009, 01:24 AM
To those who watched the game, how was Hairston tonight?

crc21209
02-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Fucking awesome for FIRST FULL NBA GAME standards. He was aggresive to the basket, his one jumper was good, he hit the offensive boards alot and put them back in for and-1's. The one weakness of his game tonight were his free throws.

raspsa
02-04-2009, 01:46 AM
I liked his energy and athleticism.. like a frisky puppy let loose to play. I hope he absorbs enough of the Spurs system over the next several months.. we'll see.

Banzai
02-04-2009, 02:01 AM
At first when I saw "Malik" I thought of Malik Rose.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2009, 04:52 AM
i wish i was able to see him play. from what you guys have described him, he's like a player who can provide instant spark to our team. how was his one-on-one defense?

ManuTP9
02-04-2009, 07:30 AM
he played nice yesterday he needs to work on his free throws though

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 08:11 AM
He had a very sweet, two-handed throwdown off a fast-break pass. Yes, as Sean likes to say, he went "top-shelf". Made it look easy too. When is the last time we've seen an athletic play like that made by someone not named Ginobili? This dude brought a level of energy, toughness and physicality to the swing position.

He does need to work on his free throws and probably needs to settle down a bit. However, he played with a level of desparation and enthusiasm that you'd expect from someone coming in from D-League.

naico
02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
He had a very sweet, two-handed throwdown off a fast-break pass. Yes, as Sean likes to say, he went "top-shelf". Made it look easy too.

When is the last time we've seen an athletic play like that?

George Hill in the same game

BlackSwordsMan
02-04-2009, 08:41 AM
he's better than vaughn

dougp
02-04-2009, 09:56 AM
he's better than vaughn

Not even the same position, and Vaughn was pretty good defensively last night. On the pick-n-rolls against Anthony, he always recovered and got a hand in his face.

silverblackfan
02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Malik showed a lot of energy and toughness out there. His free throws were bad, but that looked like nerves to me. He is a ball hound and came up with a few loose ball put backs (off Ime misses) that were big.

mexicanjunior
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I liked his energy and hussle. He really seems to battle for boards and loose balls, something this team definitely needed with Udoka not panning out. That said, I was not impressed at all with his ball handling skills, he looks like Stephen Jackson in 2003 when it comes to dribbling...

Flux451
02-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Any video of the Malik Dunk?

bigdog
02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
I thought Malik played a good game last night despite the fouls and bad free throw shooting. I don't think any of us are expecting him to come in and be this amazing God-like player coming in from the D-league, but he did impress me with his hustle and aggressiveness.

angelbelow
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
i like what im reading guys. malik sounds like a real nice player. with some extra time in the gym and some luck he could easily become a rotational player.

NFGIII
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
On one hand he played a good game with energy and and all around hussle. He seems to have a knack for being around the ball and getting to the loose ones. That is something that comes naturally and really can't be taught IMHO. This can be a very good sign for the Spurs if he continues to get minutes and produces at this level.

On the other hand he needs to work on the FTs and he was out of defensive position many a time. But that should be normal considering his lack of PT with the Spurs even though the Toros play a similar type of D. Hopefully he gets the minutes and we get to see what he has. Only PT will give us a clue if he is going to stick or not.

Good all around effort for the Spurs against the Nuggets. Actually had a chance to win it in the end but didn't. Those guys have nothing to be ashamed about. I only see this as a boost in confidence for those players and a better and more productive bench in the second half. Or at least one can only hope.

bigSabonis
02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Hello spurs fans, I thought Id' chime in. I went to U of O and just graduated. I was a freshman when Malik was a freshman and spent 4 years watching every game he played here is what I have to say.

First of all, Malik is a very humble, nice kid guy. I didn't know him personally, but I feel like I do after following him so closely at Oregon. When he signed with Oregon his dad made a comment to the media that he was going to "Carmeloize" Oregon. IE lead the team to a national championship then bolt to the NBA. Not quite... I remember the first game I saw him play he put up like 28 points on like 10-12 from the field and I thought he was jesus. For his HS class he was the 7th or so rated HS player in the country 1-6 went pro. So he has had a lot of pressure to live up to.

A lot of people said he never lived up to the hype he had around him in high school. I would say he was often way underrated at U of O. He often played the 4 and even the 5 because oregon would try to run other teams out of the gym and didn't use a traditional center. This hurt his stats to some degree. He was also about 20 lbs heavier so that he could bang around with the bigger players if he needed to. I remember reading that he lost like 15 to 20 lbs before the NBA draft because he would not be playing the 4 or 5 in the NBA.

Last night he did look a lot like he was going 150% the entire time he was in there, which as someone else pointed out was what you should expect from a dleageue player who has been called up. It was weird because he definitely played a little different than he did at Oregon. Maybe it was because he has lost some weight, but he looked quicker.

Malik is great at getting to the hoop and finishing. Also an above average rebounder for someone his size. He played pretty well vs Noah and Horford his jr year in the Elite Eight. He can also get up!
I'm sure some of you have seen this, http://youtube.com/watch?v=cAm6XWEyH4I

To address his FTs they were a problem for him while at U of O, but i figure a lot of it last night was nerves. Some night he hit them all and some nights they were clankin' of the rim.

I will admit that I am a diehard Blazers fan, and traditionally despise the spurs :ihit However, I now am a semi-closet spurs fan and hope that Malik continues to do well for you guys and the toros.

urunobili
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Hello spurs fans, I thought Id' chime in. I went to U of O and just graduated. I was a freshman when Malik was a freshman and spent 4 years watching every game he played here is what I have to say.

First of all, Malik is a very humble, nice kid guy. I didn't know him personally, but I feel like I do after following him so closely at Oregon. When he signed with Oregon his dad made a comment to the media that he was going to "Carmeloize" Oregon. IE lead the team to a national championship then bolt to the NBA. Not quite... I remember the first game I saw him play he put up like 28 points on like 10-12 from the field and I thought he was jesus. For his HS class he was the 7th or so rated HS player in the country 1-6 went pro. So he has had a lot of pressure to live up to.

A lot of people said he never lived up to the hype he had around him in high school. I would say he was often way underrated at U of O. He often played the 4 and even the 5 because oregon would try to run other teams out of the gym and didn't use a traditional center. This hurt his stats to some degree. He was also about 20 lbs heavier so that he could bang around with the bigger players if he needed to. I remember reading that he lost like 15 to 20 lbs before the NBA draft because he would not be playing the 4 or 5 in the NBA.

Last night he did look a lot like he was going 150% the entire time he was in there, which as someone else pointed out was what you should expect from a dleageue player who has been called up. It was weird because he definitely played a little different than he did at Oregon. Maybe it was because he has lost some weight, but he looked quicker.

Malik is great at getting to the hoop and finishing. Also an above average rebounder for someone his size. He played pretty well vs Noah and Horford his jr year in the Elite Eight. He can also get up!

To address his FTs they were a problem for him while at U of O, but i figure a lot of it last night was nerves. Some night he hit them all and some nights they were clankin' of the rim.

I will admit that I am a diehard Blazers fan, and traditionally despise the spurs :ihit However, I now am a semi-closet spurs fan and hope that Malik continues to do well for you guys and the toros.
GR8 1st post!
Welcome to the forum :king

tp2021
02-04-2009, 02:58 PM

It's nice to have insiders for so many of the Spurs' players.

Welcome.

:toast

SenorSpur
02-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Welcome to 'da club!

Wonderful post. Good insight.

Perhaps one day you'll feel like coming out of the closet. :lol

tp2021
02-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Welcome to 'da club!

Wonderful post. Good insight.

Perhaps one day you'll feel like coming out of the closet. :lol

He should take a look at this thread.
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113276

Old School 44
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I was impressed with his overall quickness, especially on the boards. He really did a great job of tracking the balls coming off the glass.

jdev82
02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
it'd be great to have him put some hustle into the bench. nobody on our team besides manu chases long rebounds and loose balls. not till the last minute anyways.
i liked what i saw of him going to hte basket. honestly i didnt watch him on d that much. i am just hoping that we can make our bench like LA's and Bostons, thinking they're better than they are, and thus igniting their play to be that good.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2009, 08:33 PM

welcome aboard. nice post. thanx dude. from what i have read on this thread, malik has more upside that downside-that's a good sign for the spurs. i like players who are always tring to go after loose balls like what malik did last night.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
The Phoenix Suns: Where trading all the good picks and keeping all the bad picks happens.

boutons_
02-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Pretty raw, but is fearless, rugged, and just knows how to play the damn game, how to move to where the action is.

I'm curious as to how he scored so well in DL? paint? jumpers? both?

only 22 but the very heavy beard shadow makes him look a lot older.

Manu-of-steel
02-04-2009, 11:04 PM
i hope bruce will teach him some tricks of the trade, he can be our kobe/lebron/melo stopper. he's strong and athletic. project udoka did not turn out as expected.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 11:05 PM
The Phoenix Suns: Where trading all the good picks and keeping all the bad picks happens.

If you actually think that is how the draft works then getting Barbosa pretty much kills your argument.

Manufan909
02-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Pretty raw, but is fearless, rugged, and just knows how to play the damn game, how to move to where the action is.

I'm curious as to how he scored so well in DL? paint? jumpers? both?

only 22 but the very heavy beard shadow makes him look a lot older.

IIRC, Chump said he drives alot, and I also think he said he's decent at 3.

Chomag
02-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Man, I have been pulling for this guy to have a roster spot on our team since training camp. I was pretty pissed when they gave his spot to farmer lol. Anyway, yes he has so much he still needs to improve on but he has so much upside to his game.

Although he may never be a super freak at a certain stat, I see him as an "all purpose" kind of player. A player you can put on the floor that can give you both offense and defense while out there without much lose from either or. Seeing him with a spurs jersey on shows alot of promise for years to come.

What I think he seems to have improved on the most (since going to d-league) is he seems to be turning into an energy kind of player. One thing that I have noticed about last nights game is that he seems to not be forcing his game but he is letting his game come to him which is very good to see.

Bottom line IMO he is an NBA player

pensive
02-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Man, I have been pulling for this guy to have a roster spot on our team since training camp. I was pretty pissed when they gave his spot to farmer lol. Anyway, yes he has so much he still needs to improve on but he has so much upside to his game.

Although he may never be a super freak at a certain stat, I see him as an "all purpose" kind of player. A player you can put on the floor that can give you both offense and defense while out there without much lose from either or. Seeing him with a spurs jersey on shows alot of promise for years to come.

What I think he seems to have improved on the most (since going to d-league) is he seems to be turning into an energy kind of player. One thing that I have noticed about last nights game is that he seems to not be forcing his game but he is letting his game come to him which is very good to see.

Bottom line IMO he is an NBA player

Malik, is this you?

EricB
02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
If you actually think that is how the draft works then getting Barbosa pretty much kills your argument.

Barbosa is pretty worthless now a days.

xellos88330
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Malik Hairston. Malik Rose??? They kind of play the same around the rim. Would be nice to see if Hairston can get a dunk like Rose over Mutombo.

EricB
02-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Except one is a power forward and the other is a guard.

xellos88330
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Malik Rose was only 6'7". He could have been a guard. :p:

Obstructed_View
02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Barbosa is pretty worthless now a days.

So is the team he plays for. Doesn't make him a bad draft pick by any stretch of the imagination.