PDA

View Full Version : Yao on the State of the Rockets

Indazone
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
http://sports.sohu.com/20090121/n261881970.shtml

The Houston Rockets have only lost 1 game to the Los Angeles Lakers in the past 6 outings. Every indication was that there had been a increase in team play with the Houston Rockets and the team had found its rhythm.

Prior to the game with Utah Jazz, Andy Yao caught up with Yao Ming for this interview.

Andy Yao: I remember from our previous interview, that you mentioned the atmosphere with the team was not that good. So how you feel right now?

Yao Ming: It has sort of reversed for the better. The atmosphere and the comraderie of the players have returned to the locker room. The level of trust between the players is getting better and we are heading towards a much better trend.

Andy Yao: What are some of the reasons you can think of for this recent cohesiveness?

Yao Ming: We now play with a relatively stable line-up. Once it was decided that Tracy and Ron could not play, the starting players learned to increase their level of trust with each other. Of course, when they return, we will have a much more stable and formidable line-up.

Andy Yao: Who do you think will be impacted most as the line-up is now relatively stable?

Yao Ming: The impact should be seen in every aspect to the team. We now have 10 healthy players that can play, and everyone played in that game with LA Lakers. This will let the younger players get experience and they will be ready and able to contribute anytime and anywhere.

Andy Yao: What kind of influence/impact you think Uncle Mutombo’s return had on this team? It seems that all these things are about a stable line-up and the team began to gel after he returned.

Yao Ming: I think Uncle Mutombo has with him some kind of magic. (Laugh). His return did bring back some life for the team.

Andy Yao: Can you appraise for us your own performance? In yesterday’s game with Denver Nuggets, during the clutch stretch of the game, the coach still allowed you to attack the basket continuously. Have you adapted to this at all?

Yao Ming: It all depends on my efficiency. Of course, there were times in previous games that I was also the go-to-guy, but I only made 2 out of 10+ shot attempts. I think different match-ups warrants different game plan/set plays.

Andy Yao: Now that the season is halfway over, can you give us your assessment on the overall performance of the team so far?

Yao Ming: I would have to say we were a little off to our original expectation; but I think considering all the injuries, it is still acceptable. I hope our performance in the second half of the season will be better once we have our full-strength line-up.

Andy Yao: How about an appraisal of your own performance?

Yao Ming: My conditions is much better. I sure hope I can get get stronger as the season goes on.

Andy Yao: What changes (you think) will happen to the team when Tracy McGrady returns to the line-up?

Yao Ming: Undeniably, Tracy had been playing through his injury and pain. When he sat and took some rest, we had to put the bench players into the starting line-up. This somewhat weakened our bench depth. Once he returns, our bench will become much deeper, and this will help to make my efficiency on offense better but I think we will need to bring Tracy into our rhythm when he returns.

Andy Yao: Thanks.