PDA

View Full Version : should big 3 sit out the next 3 games?

nkdlunch
02-04-2009, 11:12 AM
why not do it right and let them rest until after allstar break? they would be super-fresh and ready to go for a small 30 game season after 15 days rest!

do it Pop!!!

nkdlunch
02-04-2009, 11:14 AM
shit manu could go back to Argentina for some good old fashioned, battery charging, home cooked BBQ

DarrinS
02-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Denver's right on our heels. I don't know if we can afford that.

nkdlunch
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Denver's right on our heels. I don't know if we can afford that.

Denver??? please, like Spurs can't win in Denver :rolleyes

LA24
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
do it Pop!!!

m33p0
02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Denver??? please, like Spurs can't win in Denver :rolleyes
gone are the days when the spurs murdered the nuggets in denver in the playoffs.:rolleyes

SPURS21
02-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Why not just sit them out the entire season, maybe even skip the playoffs so they are fresh for next season.

They are professional athletes in tip top shape, unless you have an injury you do not need more than 2-3 days rest. This time off between GS and Boston is more than enough, the AS break will provide another solid break.

All this talk of resting players is complete bull shit and goes against this teams competitive nature. If anything last night was about Pop acting out in spite, trying to teach the NBA and the scheduling goofs a lesson. If I was Peter Holt I'd have him fined for keeping out Parker and Duncan.

Bartleby
02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
If anything last night was about Pop acting out in spite, trying to teach the NBA and the scheduling goofs a lesson.

And you know this because . . . ?

If I was Peter Holt I'd have him fined for keeping out Parker and Duncan.

:lmao

koriwhat
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
i find it funny in about 3 threads now concerning what pop did last night that out of those threads i keep reading that people think pop should be fined. why? a fine for withholding his players from being showcased on national tv? i don't get it...

if pop thinks his players need rest then who the hell are we to question it? you all seem to forget what pop has done in the last 10+ yrs he's been with the spurs. how about we go back to larry brown who just got our panties wet every PO's just to get kicked out in the 1st and 2nd rounds yr in and yr out. or better yet the 20+ yrs before pop came on board.

whether it was strategy, much needed rest for the big3(+fin), a mental game vs denver, or a big "fuck you" to the nba schedulers, it is pop and we really shouldn't question him considering what he has brought to this ball club over his tenure.

rascal
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM
i find it funny in about 3 threads now concerning what pop did last night that out of those threads i keep reading that people think pop should be fined. why? a fine for withholding his players from being showcased on national tv? i don't get it...

if pop thinks his players need rest then who the hell are we to question it? you all seem to forget what pop has done in the last 10+ yrs he's been with the spurs. how about we go back to larry brown who just got our panties wet every PO's just to get kicked out in the 1st and 2nd rounds yr in and yr out. or better yet the 20+ yrs before pop came on board.

whether it was strategy, much needed rest for the big3(+fin), a mental game vs denver, or a big "fuck you" to the nba schedulers, it is pop and we really shouldn't question him considering what he has brought to this ball club over his tenure.

Brown would have won if he had Duncan. The spurs success is mainly attributed to Duncan not Pop. No coincidence that they never won it all before Duncan.

tp2021
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Brown would have won if he had Duncan. The spurs success is mainly attributed to Duncan not Pop. No coincidence that they never won it all before Duncan.

Fire Pop, hire Vinny Del Negro and see what happens

m33p0
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
did duncan win the ncaa tourney during his four years at wake?

koriwhat
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM

brown would had fucked it up like he did regardless...

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Never won it all before Pop either. Pop took over the season before Duncan, it's not like Pop had been an underachieving coach until Duncan was drafted.

And teams need great players to win regardless of who the coach is.

Was Red Auerbach a bad coach because every team he won a title with had either Russell and Cousy or Russell and Havlicek?

duncan228
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM

Ouch.

:depressed

:lol

(For the record, I believe that Pop and Duncan are equally responsible for the Spurs success.)

hater
02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
no fuckin way. at least 70% of responsibility for the championships is Duncan.

benefactor
02-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Maybe we should sit out some Spurs Talk posters until hell freezes over while we are at it.

rascal
02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
no fuckin way. at least 70% of responsibility for the championships is Duncan.

Agree. Brown has had much success in the league and has turned losing teams into winners in one season. There are many nba head coaches that would win with Duncan.

rascal
02-04-2009, 02:41 PM

We are talking about the nba not college.

Yorae
02-05-2009, 12:02 AM
maybe the scrubs can keep it close for 3 quarters and then pop unleash the big 3 upon them come 4th quarter. Scrubs get experience. Big three gets rest. (but chemistry might suffer a bit).

m33p0
02-05-2009, 01:21 AM
:rolleyes

SouthTexasRancher
02-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Why not just sit them out the entire season, maybe even skip the playoffs so they are fresh for next season.

They are professional athletes in tip top shape, unless you have an injury you do not need more than 2-3 days rest. This time off between GS and Boston is more than enough, the AS break will provide another solid break.

All this talk of resting players is complete bull shit and goes against this teams competitive nature. If anything last night was about Pop acting out in spite, trying to teach the NBA and the scheduling goofs a lesson. If I was Peter Holt I'd have him fined for keeping out Parker and Duncan.

Nice comedy routine you have there. Any chance we'll get to see you on Leno or Letterman anytime soon? I'd pay good money if you ever do standup at any of the clubs in San Antonio. Anyway, thanks for the laughs!!!

SouthTexasRancher
02-05-2009, 01:48 AM

Larry Brown would have never coached the Spurs to an NBA Championship even if we had Michael, Magic, Bird, Kobe and Duncan with LeBron, Howard, CP3, KG and Carmelo coming off the bench. He would have had them all so pissed off by playoff time that they would have made a call to Tony Soprano and had a hit put on Brown. They'd have found his body face down in a bag of cement and chains under the airbus that landed in the Hudson river a couple weeks ago. On the other hand Pop would have 10 straight Championships by now.

dastrey
02-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Pop can care less about home-court advantage. The Spurs had double digit leads in L.A. during the WCF, only to see fatigue set in late in the games. I would actually love to see a fresh Spurs team play the Lakers in the 1st round.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Sit the Big 3? No, Boston is an important test for the team. I think this break might have been to help them get rid of some mid-season fatigue in preparation for what is a litmus test of how far the team has come. The flipside is that it risks a rusty first quarter, which could be deadly against the Celts, but a 4-day rest is just as likely to do that to them as 5 days.

Fire Pop, hire Vinny Del Negro and see what happens

Exactly. Pop has a system of play, and a system of values within a team - an ability to select the right players and mange them to achieve their full potential - which should not be undervalued. He has become* an excellent NBA coach.

Pop and Tim (and Tony and Manu) is a partnership which is impossible to guage in % contribution terms - they are an interactive system, symbiotic ... take one away and the others are more than proportionally diminished.

Would Tim have been a HoFer without Pop? Probably. Has Pop absolutely assisted Tim to maximise his ability to play basketball? Absolutely.

*... I say "become" because I think he really started to emerge as a truly great coach in 2003, having taken a lot of lumps off the Lakers for the previous 3 seasons. That was his baptism of fire, and ever since the wonderrful 2003 trophy he has gone from stregnth to strength as a true big picture (and details!) NBA thinker and coach.

smeagol
02-05-2009, 03:36 AM

Is College basketball such a different sport? Is it played with the feet by kicking the ball into the hoop?

WalterBenitez
02-05-2009, 08:21 AM
shit manu could go back to Argentina for some good old fashioned, battery charging, home cooked BBQ

Manu is probably suffering one of those good BBQ, his batteries will charge, aslso his colesterol :p: