PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm...technology going a little too far?

CosmicCowboy
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/04/earlyshow/leisure/gamesgadgetsgizmos/main4774320.shtml?tag=topHome;topStories

I can hear it now...

"Honey, lets both sign up for this so we always know exactly where each other are at..."

uhhhh....fuck THAT! LOL

(CBS) Google is releasing free software Wednesday that enables people to keep track of each other using their cell phones.

CNET got a sneak peek at it, and CNET-TV Senior Editor and Early Show contributor Natali Del Conte explained how it works on the show Tuesday.

She says "Latitude" uses GPS systems and what's called cell tower triangulation to do the job. The software seeks the closest three cell towers and, with GPS, combines the data to show where someone is.

It is designed to work on any phone with Internet capabilities, except the iPhone.

"Latitude" is being marketed as a tool that could help parents keep tabs on their children's locations, but it can be used for anyone to find anyone else, assuming permission is given.

"What Google Latitude does is allow you to share that location with friends and family members, and likewise be able to see friends and family members' locations," Steve Lee, product manager for Google Latitude, told CNET. "For example, a girlfriend could use it to see if her boyfriend has arrived at a restaurant and, if not, how far away he is."

CNET points out that, "To protect privacy, Google specifically requires people to sign up for the service. People can share their precise location, the city they're in, or nothing at all."

"What we found in testing," Lee added to CNET, "is that the most common scenario is a symmetrical arrangement, where both people are sharing with each other."

desflood
02-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I predict the divorce rate would jump to about 75%.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
People who voluntarily participate in something like that are nutz.

I'm going to hold out for the free forehead barcode myself.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
there go stolen phones market then.....

lebomb
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Fellas, keep an eye on your phone at all times. I would sleep with it............if you know what I mean.

"Honey, have you seen my phone?"

"Yes, dear...........here it is"

"Hey!!! WTF was it doing in your purse??"

Dex
02-04-2009, 12:58 PM
I can just see the mass amount of arguments that will spark from people who refuse to put this on their phones in the first place.

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Me too, it will be much more fashionable.

mrsmaalox
02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I like no one knowing where I am. On the other hand I am 100% in favor of using every spy method available to keep track of my kids.

mrsmaalox
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Me too, it will be much more fashionable.

I'd prefer back of the neck, right below the hairline please. :)

JudynTX
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I'd prefer back of the neck, right below the hairline please. :)

I'll take the tramp stamp. :p:

manufor3
02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
wooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Viva Las Espuelas
02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
I like no one knowing where I am. On the other hand I am 100% in favor of using every spy method available to keep track of my kids.
how republican of you.

Frenzy
02-04-2009, 03:30 PM

i thought people decided the forearm would be best :depressed

PM5K
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
i thought people decided the forearm would be best :depressed

RFID...

Trainwreck2100
02-04-2009, 03:47 PM
hell yeah put that shit on yo kids phone.

Sec24Row7
02-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Cops have been able to triangulate you via your cell for years...

mookie2001
02-04-2009, 09:34 PM
thats just old fashioned family values

the way we was raised up

baseline bum
02-04-2009, 11:53 PM
On September 19, 2007, while driving alone near Seattle on her way to work, Tanya Rider went off the road and crashed into a ravine.* For eight days, she was trapped upside down in the wreckage of her car. Severely dehydrated and suffering from injuries to her leg and shoulder, she nearly died of kidney failure.Fortunately, rescuers ultimately found her. She spent months recuperating in a medical facility. Happily, she was able to go home for Christmas.

Tanya’s story is not just about a woman, an accident, and a rescue. It is a story about bits—the zeroes and ones that make up all our cell phone conversations, bank records, and everything else that gets communicated or stored using modern electronics.

Tanya was found because cell phone companies keep records of cell phone locations. When you carry your cell phone, it regularly sends out a digital “ping,” a few bits conveying a “Here I am!” message. Your phone keeps pinging” as long as it remains turned on. Nearby cell phone towers pick up the pings and send them on to your cellular service provider. Your cell phone company uses the pings to direct your incoming calls to the right cell phone towers. Tanya’s cell phone company, Verizon, still had a record of the last location of her cell phone, even after the phone had gone dead. That is how the police found her.

IronMexican
02-04-2009, 11:57 PM
If any guy has this, they must be really pussy whipped.