PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets' win over 'Spurs Lite' is not one to brag about

Dex
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Nuggets' win over 'Spurs Lite' is not one to brag about
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/03/nuggets-martin-spurs-duncan-parker-ginobili-all-ou/
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
Published February 3, 2009 at 9:30 p.m.

There were seven past and present All-Stars expected to play Tuesday night at the Pepsi Center.

Five never made it to the starting line. One didn't finish.

Thank goodness for the Nuggets, the only one still standing at the end was forward Carmelo Anthony. He scored a game-high 35 points to lead them to a harder-than-expected 104-96 win against depleted San Antonio at the Pepsi Center.

The Spurs didn't use guard Manu Ginobili, who suffered a hip contusion Monday at Golden State, although he stayed in the game. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich rested Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Michael Finley.

The Nuggets (32-16) didn't have forward Kenyon Martin, out because of tonsillitis and strep throat. Point guard Chauncey Billups was lost for the second half after suffering a sprained right ankle in the second quarter, and he isn't sure if he'll play tonight at Oklahoma City.

Considering the players on the floor, it sometimes looked like a preseason game. But Nuggets coach George Karl displayed postseason fire.

"I don't think I had anything on my mind except anger," Karl said of the Spurs cutting a 17-point deficit in the third quarter to two early in the fourth quarter and still being down four with less than two minutes left. "How immature we played. We were fortunate. We still have a tendency in messing around with the game.

"It's kind of come back in the last couple of weeks. We've still won most of the games, but we should have attacked this game with a professional attitude and an intensity and probably should have gotten the game over by the fourth quarter. San Antonio showed a lot of heart and a lot of character and scared the hell out of us."

Billups' injury scared plenty, including him. But X-rays at halftime were negative.

"Just pushed off and I felt a little pop. ... I definitely was worried (at first)," Billups said. "It's a little sore, but I'll be all right. We'll see (today) how it goes. ... Hopefully, it won't be long (that he's out), and, hopefully, it will be (tonight he plays)."

If Billups can't go, he remains hopeful about Friday at Washington. He's not concerned about the All-Star Game on Feb. 15.

"I'm not worried about no All-Star Game," Billups said. "I'm worried about the real games."

One thing is for sure, the Spurs (33-15) looked nothing like an All-Star team.

While Ginobili's injury was legitimate, Popovich offered no specifics as to why he rested Duncan and Parker other than they "need a break." The same thinking presumably applies to Finley, who, like the top three players, played in Monday's exhausting overtime win.

Since Duncan, Parker and Ginobili joined forces in 2002, Popovich said it's the first time he can remember none playing in a game other than one late in a season when playoff spots are secured.

Popovich said he was "real proud" of his team's effort. The Spurs got 26 points from guard Roger Mason, who made 5-of-10 three-pointers.

"They got NBA guys on their team just like we do," said Anthony, who had nine rebounds and made 14-of-15 free throws in his second game back after missing 10 because of a broken right hand. "I was pretty sure they wouldn't come in and lay down."

At times, the Nuggets almost laid down. Anthony said sometimes the Nuggets "just need to slow down and calm down."

"We revert back to selfishness," said Karl, whose Nuggets got 17 points, 11 rebounds and five blocked shots from center Nene. "The last 30 seconds of the first half — selfish, selfish, selfish, selfish. Four times in a row."

Karl cracked maybe he should play sparingly used rookie Sonny Weems because he "might have played with more commitment and responsibility."

At least Karl is hoping to have Martin back tonight. He had a 103-degree temperature before the game.

"There's a chance (tonight)," Karl said. "I think Kenyon will understand, after watching us play (Tuesday), we need him."

Not having Billups scares Karl more. That would leave Anthony Carter as the team's only true point guard.

"That will be an adventure playing J.R. (Smith) at backup point," Karl said. "The way we throw the ball around, it scares the hell out of me."

For now, Karl at least can have relief about winning the season series (2-1) against the Spurs for the first time since 1987-88. That could come in handy for playoff tiebreakers.

But one presumes, should the Nuggets see the Spurs in the playoffs, it will be the real team, not Spurs Lite.

KaiRMD1
02-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Even though we lost the game, I have to say that I liked what I saw last night. It wasn't a blowout like I thought it would have been. But the true test comes Sunday. I just hope they don't give up in the third half.

PDXSpursFan
02-04-2009, 01:18 PM
I thnk we could have win this game with 25 minutes of Duncan & Parker. But who knows for sure. Hopefully, the tie breaker thhing doesn' backfire on us.

benefactor
02-04-2009, 01:22 PM
For now, Karl at least can have relief about winning the season series (2-1) against the Spurs for the first time since 1987-88. That could come in handy for playoff tiebreakers.

...which they probably would have won anyway. Being on the road against a good team with no Manu plus Duncan/Parker playing 40+ minutes of fast paced ball only 20ish hours before would have probably equaled a loss. Just look at the RRT predictions thread and see how many said we would lose that game...and that was before the circumstances in GS arose.

nkdlunch
02-04-2009, 01:23 PM
that wasn't even Spurs Lite. Spurs Lite is Spurs w/out Duncan. last night it was Spurs Freeware

jman3000
02-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Murphy's Law. It WILL come back to bite us.

InRareForm
02-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Spurs won me money with that +13 spread i got :downspin:

1Parker1
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm not afraid of the Spurs meeting the Nuggets in the playoffs, even without HCA (should the Spurs get the 3rd seed and the Nuggets 2nd).

Spurs Brazil
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
"I don't think I had anything on my mind except anger," Karl said of the Spurs cutting a 17-point deficit in the third quarter to two early in the fourth quarter and still being down four with less than two minutes left. "How immature we played. We were fortunate. We still have a tendency in messing around with the game.

He's very mad. Pop got him :lol

EricB
02-04-2009, 02:37 PM
that tiebreaker won't even come close to coming into play. Chill the f out.

tp2021
02-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Dumb. If that was the case the Spurs wouldn't have 4 :lobt: or wouldn't have Tim or the MMM wouldn't have happened or the Spurs wouldn't be in SA or even be in the NBA or even exist...

jdev82
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
chill out guys, the nuggets will break down. 2nd half of the season. you saw how they were without chauncey. and even with him. same old nuggets.

meestahmeestah
02-04-2009, 05:37 PM
I thnk we could have win this game with 25 minutes of Duncan & Parker. But who knows for sure. Hopefully, the tie breaker thhing doesn' backfire on us.

We could have won the game with 5 minutes of TD and TP...the Nuggets were trying to lose and if the Spurs had anyone on the floor that the Nuggets would have respected, they would have folded.

KenMcCoy
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
You have to love CIA Pop...IF we meet up with Denver in the playoffs the first thing going through their heads is going to be "we barely beat them even with duncan, manu, and tony not playing." Pop accomplished two things:
1) Got the big three (and fin) some rest
2) Effectively screwed with the Nuggets minds since before the game (when they thought the big three were going to play) all of them were saying that they had circled this game as a measuring stick.

Bartleby
02-04-2009, 05:49 PM
We could have won the game with 5 minutes of TD and TP...the Nuggets were trying to lose and if the Spurs had anyone on the floor that the Nuggets would have respected, they would have folded.

Maybe, but it doesn't seem to be in Pop's style to put his bench on the floor for the whole game and then, after they have busted their asses keeping the game close all night, tell them to go back to the bench so the stars can finish the job. Even though it didn't result in a win, I think it was the right move in the long run.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-04-2009, 06:27 PM

Yeah it sure did back in 2005 when Duncan and Manu were rested against the Suns in a game I had been looking forward to for months. The Suns smoked them in the playoffs that year.

El Fuego
02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah it sure did back in 2005 when Duncan and Manu were rested against the Suns in a game I had been looking forward to for months. The Suns smoked them in the playoffs that year.

Didn't the Spurs beat the Suns 4 games to 1 on our way to our 3rd championship that year?

raspsa
02-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Pop's decision is fine with me. I only wish he'd let Finley play. The guy seems to play well against Denver.

wijayas
02-05-2009, 04:31 AM

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

You mean the Spurs smoked the Suns 4-1 in the playoff after resting Duncan in the regular season game against Phoenix. Yeah, that's the one we all remember. :lol :lol :lol