PDA

View Full Version : HoopsWorld: The Evolution of Tony Parker

Pistons < Spurs
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
It wasn't too long ago that Tony Parker was a 19-year-old point guard still learning how to play NBA basketball
. Over seven years later Parker has developed into one of the best point guards in the league.

However, it's easy to forget just how difficult things were for Parker early in his career. In addition to having to learn how to quarterback a NBA team, superstar Tim Duncan rarely talked to Parker. Heck, Parker at times felt lucky if Duncan even acknowledged his presence. As if having your star player not talking to you wasn't tough enough, Parker's head coach also rode him relentlessly.

When your friendly neighborhood columnist asked Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich if that was a fair characterization of his early years coaching Parker, Popovich replied with a smile: "I would say that's fairly accurate."

"He gets credit for living through it, for sure," Popovich said half jokingly. "But it was the only way to find out if he was going to have the chutzpah to be a hell of a player in the league."

Popovich learned some important things about Parker very early on in the process, too.

"If a coach gives you the ball immediately when you're 19, I better find out quickly whether I'm making the right choice or not," Popovich explained. "I thought to be on him constantly to see if he could handle it and to see if he really wanted to improve or if he was going to find excuses and say, 'Gee coach, don't be so hard on me' or if he'll say, 'Hit me with everything you've got. I want to be perfect, I want to get there quick.' I found out very soon that he was the latter where he was a competitor and whatever I gave him he wanted more."

The end result is a point guard that can get basically wherever he wants to on the floor whenever he feels like it. Add to that an amazing ability to finish in the paint and you have the All-Star point guard Tony Parker has become today.

"He's always on the attack," said Denver Nuggets head coach George Karl. "He's got tremendous confidence to drive in amongst the trees. Now he has a spin move, the tear drop, he can get fouled. He has all kinds of ways to score in there."

Karl even mentioned stopping Parker as being more of a priority than stopping Duncan whenever the Nuggets face the Spurs.

"I would say if I have one wish it would be to control his penetration," said Karl. "That would be my first wish."

San Antonio newcomer Roger Mason Jr., a player who has had the chance to guard Parker while he was a member of the Washington Wizards and has also seen all of his moves in practice, lent some interesting insight into what makes Parker so tough to defend.

"He's very, very quick, but he also has a little bit of an unorthodox game from playing in Europe," noted Mason Jr. "He's got steps that we in the States haven't really seen before. It's that and the fact he's quick and crafty around the basket. He finishes as well as anyone I've ever seen in the paint."

Popovich noticed similar qualities in his point guard but had a hard time pinpointing what exactly makes Parker so good at what he does.

"I wish I could answer that adequately for you," Popovich said after stopping to think for a few seconds. "When we talk about it we said that the last guy who could do what he could do at the rim was Rod Strickland. Rod was really great at the rim and Tony has that same knack. I, of course, did not coach that. Some guys have it. It's just a matter of timing, understanding space. You've got to have a good left hand as well as a right hand. It's just a knack that he has and not too many guys have it. I can't explain it any better than that, I'm sorry."

No apologies necessary, coach.

Perhaps the fact it's hard to pinpoint why Parker is so good at what he does is part of what makes him so difficult to defend.

And you can bet the Spurs hope Parker remains a mystery the rest of the league has a very difficult time trying to solve.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11433

chreph
02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
A lot of internet people like to bitch about Tony (funny thing is I never hear anyone talk about shopping Parker or wishing we had a different pg in real life), but I for one appreciate what he has done and how he has handled everything in the last 7 years. I was excited when the spurs drafted him and he hasn't let me down since. :king

nkdlunch
02-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Tony is one tough mofo.

he could have easily folded like beano long ago

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Interesting to note, that if the spurs win or lose in the playoffs he has always taken it to opposing guards who are suppose to be better.
02' smoked PAYTON, fisher.
03' had a little trouble with MARBURY but came around,fisher, NASH and even KIDD.
04' torched jason williams, PAYTON and fisher again.
05' miller, ridnour, NASH, BILLUPS.
06' BIBBY, had a little trouble with harris but still played well.
07' finals mvp. enough said
08' NASH for the 4th time since he came in the league.

his scoring abilities especially when he first came into the league were underestimated but he kept torching the so called better players.
I pulling for parker to be in the top 10 for assist per game this year. He has 3 legit spot up shooters in mason/finley/bonner. If he can rack up some more assist for the year and hopefully get to 7 per game he will be unstoppable accross the board in my book.

hater
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
wtf? I don't remember Tony killing Billups in 05... it was actually the other way around

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
wtf? I don't remember Tony killing Billups in 05... it was actually the other way around
He didnt stop billups, but he kept up his end of the bargain. billups played well, however he didnt stop parker who wasnt as well respected as he is now.

DAF86
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
He didnt stop billups, but he kept up his end of the bargain. billups played well, however he didnt stop parker who wasnt as well respected as he is now.

Parker sucked (by his standars) in that series, he didn't even play the last minutes of game 7, and if I'm not mistaken he sucked in the '03 finals too. But that's a thing of the past, he's a top 3 PG in the NBA right now without a doubt.

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Parker sucked (by his standars) in that series, he didn't even play the last minutes of game 7, and if I'm not mistaken he sucked in the '03 finals too. But that's a thing of the past, he's a top 3 PG in the NBA right now without a doubt.
who are the other 2?

DAF86
02-04-2009, 03:39 PM
who are the other 2?

Paul and Williams

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Paul and Williams
amen to that

DAF86
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Paul and Williams

Maybe Billups, definitely not Calderon. :p:

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah, I watched the toronto game last night. Turrible, Turrible Turrible as charles barkley would say. They need to make some adjustments to their offense. Most of the plays were Calderon waits at the top for a shooter to come off a screen and hopefully the shooter will hit. thats 100% a coaching flaw. they need to get more picknrolls and legit low-post isolations for bosh and oneal.

urunobili
02-04-2009, 03:47 PM
from French Rat to American Pimp :devil

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I just like the fact that he's not getting outplayed. The only one who has his number was jameer nelson and even thats iffy.

Dex
02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
When all is said and done, I think Tony may end up as one of the top 3 most important Spurs.

Of course, the haters will never acknowledge that.

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 04:15 PM
When all is said and done, I think Tony may end up as one of the top 3 most important Spurs.

who are the other 2?

kace
02-04-2009, 04:24 PM

i think he already is, behind Tim and DRob.

hater
02-04-2009, 04:25 PM
he is going to have to carry the Spurs through a couple of tough series to pass Manu.

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
he is going to have to carry the Spurs through a couple of tough series to pass Manu.
yeah, i was about to say. cause no matter how tough a game manu can be having he affects the game in so many ways besides scoring and is always their at the end win or lose. not to say that parker is to be ignored by any means. He carrys his weight and then some.

timvp
02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Parker sucked (by his standars) in that series, he didn't even play the last minutes of game 7, and if I'm not mistaken he sucked in the '03 finals too. But that's a thing of the past, he's a top 3 PG in the NBA right now without a doubt.Do you just make stuff up as you go along?

timvp
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
i think he already is, behind Tim and DRob.

Gervin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TP

hater
02-04-2009, 04:54 PM
agree, but way too many >

Sigz
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
I fucking love Tony Parker.

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Do you just make stuff up as you go along?
do you think parker played well enough in 03' an 05' playoffs?

afireinside20
02-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Tony Parker is prolly already the best point guard that the Spurs have ever had. With respect to Avery and Johnny Moore, but they just don't come to the level of Tony Parker.

FromWayDowntown
02-04-2009, 05:39 PM

From Game 7 play-by-play:

7:11 61-64 Tony Parker enters the game for Manu Ginobili.

And I'll always remember Pop's explosion when Parker fouled Hamilton to give him an and-1 in the last 10 seconds of that game. Pretty tough to sit out the last 7 minutes when: (a) you were subbed into the game at the 7:11 mark and never left; and (b) when an indelible moment for some is the dumb foul you committed during the last 7 minutes.

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM
From Game 7 play-by-play:

7:11 61-64 Tony Parker enters the game for Manu Ginobili.

And I'll always remember Pop's explosion when Parker fouled Hamilton to give him an and-1 in the last 10 seconds of that game. Pretty tough to sit out the last 7 minutes when: (a) you were subbed into the game at the 7:11 mark and never left; and (b) when an indelible moment for some is the dumb foul you committed during the last 7 minutes.
Good to see someone looks at stats and does some research. :wakeup

sonic21
02-04-2009, 05:42 PM

well in 2003 he was the 2nd best player on the team.

mystargtr34
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM

I think right now Manu > TP also. Even though Parker has a Finals MVP, Manu has carried this team in tougher series, like the 2005 Finals.

TP has been unbelievable, and by the time hes done he could have a couple more Finals MVP's.... but right now Manu has been a bigger contributor for me.

FromWayDowntown
02-04-2009, 05:48 PM

The Spurs won titles, didn't they?

In '03, Parker averaged 14.7 ppg but was great in Games 3 (29 points on 13-23 from the field) and 4 (25 points) of the WCF in Dallas to help the Spurs rally from their Game 1 loss. He was also quietly spectacular in the Spurs' put away game in LA that year (27 points, 5 assists). And while his detractors remember his struggles in Games 4 and 6 of the '03 Finals, they conveniently forget that in the other 4 games of that series, he averaged 19.3 ppg and shot about 45% from the field.

portnoy1
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
The Spurs won titles, didn't they?

In '03, Parker averaged 14.7 ppg but was great in Games 3 (29 points on 13-23 from the field) and 4 (25 points) of the WCF in Dallas to help the Spurs rally from their Game 1 loss. He was also quietly spectacular in the Spurs' put away game in LA that year (27 points, 5 assists). And while his detractors remember his struggles in Games 4 and 6 of the '03 Finals, they conveniently forget that in the other 4 games of that series, he averaged 19.3 ppg and shot about 45% from the field.
thank you very much!!!!!

FromWayDowntown
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Tony Parker is prolly already the best point guard that the Spurs have ever had. With respect to Avery and Johnny Moore, but they just don't come to the level of Tony Parker.

Neither Moore nor Johnson ever made an All-Star team, for whatever that's worth.

jack sommerset
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Remember Hoopsworld doesn't know shit.

FromWayDowntown
02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Remember Hoopsworld doesn't know shit.

Yeah, I'll trust the fact that the Western Conference coaches have voted Parker an All-Star for the 3rd time in 4 years.

kace
02-04-2009, 07:04 PM

I think right now Manu > TP also. Even though Parker has a Finals MVP, Manu has carried this team in tougher series, like the 2005 Finals.

TP has been unbelievable, and by the time hes done he could have a couple more Finals MVP's.... but right now Manu has been a bigger contributor for me.

the post i was answering was talking about the most important spur. no the best player. Gervin was a better overall player maybe, but tony with his three titles has to be more important for the spurs history.

And for manu, i would say he's tied at third in the most important spur. Manu was already a great player when he joined the spurs whereas Tony growed with them. but he has a finals MVP and two more ASG than manu.

so, most important spurs would be: Tim (best talent and best achievements), David (2nd best talent, great achievments), Tony 3a and manu 3b (same core, same talent, same team achievements, more individuals recognition for tony) and gervin (great talent, maybe 2nd or 3rd more talented spurs but weak in achievements).

timvp
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Gervin was a better overall player maybe

Maybe?

gervin (great talent, maybe 2nd or 3rd more talented spurs but weak in achievements).

:rolleyes

Gervin might have been weak in team achievements but he also didn't get to play with Duncan or Robinson. But personal achievements, it's no contest.

And as for as importance, if Gervin didn't carry the team in their primitive years, the team wouldn't even exist today.

mystargtr34
02-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I agree Manu and Parker are pretty much locked together. But you cant deny what Gervin has done. Parker has more rings and Finals MVP's than Robinson, but you have to factor in the teams the players played with throughout their careers and therefore their individual accolades and ability.

Not taking anything away from Parker, but you put Gervin with Duncan and i have no doubt in my mind he would end up with 2 or 3 rings. Thats just the way the dice rolls. I think Gervin is number 3.

TP and Manu 4a and 4b.

Sec24Row7
02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Gervin will always be the face of an ERA for the spurs...

But Tony, Manu and Bruce will be the faces of our glory days that we will remember for the rest of our lives... and remember more fondly...

They are only going to get better as we get older and more time has passed...:rollin

Hell... Boston thinks Bill Russell cut Jesus' umbilical cord...

ducks
02-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I'll trust the fact that the Western Conference coaches have voted Parker an All-Star for the 3rd time in 4 years.

yeah that is why coaches get fired
tp haters

DAF86
02-04-2009, 08:41 PM

I thought Parker didn't play the last minutes of that game (I'm not counting where he got in for a specific defensive or ofensive play, I do remember that stupid foul on Hamilton) but if this wasn't the case I'm sorry, either way the fact remains that he didn't play very well that series and that game in particular. Here's an analysis of that game. I'm quoting what it says at the 4:08 mark: "They were able to win this game (the Spurs) with only four players playing well, give Popovich a lot of credit, for getting Mohamed and Parker out of there and Horry and Barry in."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Tv1mlM8fA

Dave McNulla
02-04-2009, 11:06 PM
^ you are thinking of game 6, 2003.

Yorae
02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Well parker is young enough, you'll never know what he might accomplish in the future.

FilSpursFan
02-05-2009, 12:17 AM
I think he's on his way to HOF http://www.friendster.com/photos/60364802/1/770803946#

timvp
02-05-2009, 01:04 AM
I thought Parker didn't play the last minutes of that game (I'm not counting where he got in for a specific defensive or ofensive play, I do remember that stupid foul on Hamilton) but if this wasn't the case I'm sorry, either way the fact remains that he didn't play very well that series and that game in particular. Here's an analysis of that game. I'm quoting what it says at the 4:08 mark: "They were able to win this game (the Spurs) with only four players playing well, give Popovich a lot of credit, for getting Mohamed and Parker out of there and Horry and Barry in."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5Tv1mlM8fADid you just try to use Bill Walton as a legitimate source? :lol

SenorSpur
02-05-2009, 01:42 AM
It's not so amazing that Parker has now developed into this elite-level PG. His ability to finish at the rim does hark back to Rod Strickland.

It's funny how it was just five years ago, the Spurs we "sack-chasin'" J-Kidd, who couldn't shoot as well as Parker even back then. I never understood that fascination.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2009, 01:58 AM

lol his finals mvp is horseshit....daniel gibson a fkn rookie pg was the cavs starting PG for godsakes....anyone playin opposit gibson wouldve torched him and won the finals mvp....

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2009, 02:01 AM
It's not so amazing that Parker has now developed into this elite-level PG. His ability to finish at the rim does hark back to Rod Strickland.

It's funny how it was just five years ago, the Spurs we "sack-chasin'" J-Kidd, who couldn't shoot as well as Parker even back then. I never understood that fascination.

maybe cause ppl were still pissed about the parkers disappearing act against the fakers every time we collide in the playoffs....

Yorae
02-05-2009, 02:03 AM
http://wiygn.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/untitled.jpg

mystargtr34
02-05-2009, 03:00 AM
lol his finals mvp is horseshit....daniel gibson a fkn rookie pg was the cavs starting PG for godsakes....anyone playin opposit gibson wouldve torched him and won the finals mvp....

Still he was the best player in the Finals. Personally i think the Finals MVP should be changed to Playoffs MVP - obviously going to a player from the Championship team. Often the harder series, especially the last decade in the West, have been before the Finals.

DAF86
02-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Did you just try to use Bill Walton as a legitimate source? :lol

Well he played in the NBA (and at a pretty high level) for many years, he might know a thing or two.

DAF86
02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I think he's on his way to HOF http://www.friendster.com/photos/60364802/1/770803946#

For sure. In fact he may already be a lock. You can't get much better than 3 ships, 3 all star games and a finals MVP.

DAF86
02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
^ you are thinking of game 6, 2003.

No, I remember that game. When Speedy played great. I was thinking of the game 7 of '05 but I was wrong.

mogrovejo
02-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Gervin will always be the face of an ERA for the spurs...

But Tony, Manu and Bruce will be the faces of our glory days that we will remember for the rest of our lives... and remember more fondly...

They are only going to get better as we get older and more time has passed...:rollin

Hell... Boston thinks Bill Russell cut Jesus' umbilical cord...

Nope, it was the other way around.

anakha
02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
maybe cause ppl were still pissed about the parkers disappearing act against the fakers every time we collide in the playoffs....

1) When the Spurs were going after Kidd in the 2003 offseason, Parker had just completed his second season in the NBA. It's not like he had a long history of playoff collapses at that point.

2) Parker averaged about 14.8 points and 5.4 assists against the Lakers in the 2002 playoffs, versus 15.5 and 4 for the whole 2002 playoffs. In 2003, he managed about 14.8 and 3.5 in the Lakers series, versus 14.7 and 3.5 for the entire playoffs.

But go ahead and keep pulling arguments out of your ass. Don't let the facts stop you. :lmao

portnoy1
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
1) When the Spurs were going after Kidd in the 2003 offseason, Parker had just completed his second season in the NBA. It's not like he had a long history of playoff collapses at that point.

2) Parker averaged about 14.8 points and 5.4 assists against the Lakers in the 2002 playoffs, versus 15.5 and 4 for the whole 2002 playoffs. In 2003, he managed about 14.8 and 3.5 in the Lakers series, versus 14.7 and 3.5 for the entire playoffs.

But go ahead and keep pulling arguments out of your ass. Don't let the facts stop you. :lmaoParker played well in 02' against the lakers. However Rose, Smith,Daniels,porter and ferry did nothing to help spurs cause. In the 4th quarters they fell apart. In 04' parker didnt have a reliable jumpshot. That was something the lakers exposed big time. He could hit in transition sometimes but not a set shot. So the lakers could double Tim and leave him all alone behind the arc knowing that there was a small probability of him hitting. In 08' He pulled his weight however manu was ailing badly. The one game Manu played well was the game they won. Parker could have scored 30pts a night but that will never replace manu, that was made pretty obvious considering the spurs didn't have a healthy manu to go to in the 4th quarter to put teams away.

anakha
02-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Parker played well in 02' against the lakers. However Rose, Smith,Daniels,porter and ferry did nothing to help spurs cause. In the 4th quarters they fell apart. In 04' parker didnt have a reliable jumpshot. That was something the lakers exposed big time. He could hit in transition sometimes but not a set shot. So the lakers could double Tim and leave him all alone behind the arc knowing that there was a small probability of him hitting. In 08' He pulled his weight however manu was ailing badly. The one game Manu played well was the game they won. Parker could have scored 30pts a night but that will never replace manu, that was made pretty obvious considering the spurs didn't have a healthy manu to go to in the 4th quarter to put teams away.

Talking about pulling arguments out of asses...

Have you even been following the discussion I posted in? Why make this into yet another Manu vs. Tony debate?