PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Hire Chief Operating Officer For Austin D-League Affiliate

duncan228
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Spurs hire chief operating officer for Austin D-League affiliate (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2009/02/02/daily23.html)
San Antonio Business Journal
by W. Scott Bailey

Spurs Sports & Entertainment, parent company of the four-time NBA champion San Antonio Spurs, has hired Peter Lubell as chief operating officer of the Austin Toros, the Spurs’ D-League affiliate.

SS&E officials say Lubell will oversee all of the team’s business operations efforts.

“Peter has a wealth of sports marketing and sales management experience that will be an asset to the Austin Toros and (SS&E),” says Frank Miceli, senior vice president of marketing and sales for the parent company. “We are extremely pleased to be adding someone of Peter’s caliber to our efforts of growing the Toros brand in the Austin market.”

Prior to joining SS&E, Lubell was vice president of strategic alliances for Raceway Media, which owns and operates a network of niche Web sites. He also served as the Chicago Chapter Director of the National Sports Marketing Network (NSMN) and currently serves as a national advisor for the organization.

NSMN is the trade organization for the sports business industry. The Chicago chapter is the largest in the United States.

“SS&E is a world-class organization and I am excited about the opportunity to work with great staffs at the Toros, Spurs and NBA,” Lubell says.

“The Toros have a strong brand image, a loyal fan base and a solid foundation of corporate partners,” the New York native adds. “By tapping into new technology and expanding our grass roots efforts, we will continue to build long-term relationships with the Austin community and spotlight the NBA stars of tomorrow.”

ChumpDumper
02-04-2009, 07:56 PM
More signals that this just isn't a hobby for SS&E. Some new venue options are opening up; we'll see if anything happens on that front next season.

tp2021
02-04-2009, 08:35 PM
More signals that this just isn't a hobby for SS&E. Some new venue options are opening up; we'll see if anything happens on that front next season.

What has been said about changing the venue, Chump?

Biggems
02-04-2009, 09:30 PM
I wish the DLeague had 30 teams...with each team being owned by an NBA team. The DLeague team would be basically a farm club team....similar to what they have in baseball.

In fact, the NBA and NBDL could operate under the same rules as MLB....except for the expanded roster near the end of the regular season.

Maybe make a rule that if players or called up or sent down, they must remain for at least 4 games or 10 days, whichever happens first.

ChumpDumper
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
What has been said about changing the venue, Chump?The schedule at the convention center this season has been pretty nuts -- they're just lower on the priority list because of the money they can make from other events.

There was a survey of fans last season asking whether they might like a more suburban setting -- I'm assuming either the new Concordia University gym or to a lesser extent the new Cedar Park arena where the Dallas Stars affiliate is going to play. They're all about the same distance from me personally. I heard the Toros actually wanted to schedule some games at Concordia this season, but the league just wants them in one spot.

whottt
02-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Erwin Center :tu

ChumpDumper
02-07-2009, 06:56 AM
I just want to personally thank any outgoing Toros staff for their work. I appreciate the effort in a very tough business.