PDA

View Full Version : the Spurs vs. the world..

HarlemHeat37
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
it's funny how it works, isn't it?..

we're the most "boring" team in the NBA, but we get criticized for sitting out players, because all of a sudden, the fans wanna see us play..other teams don't receive the same criticism..

we're the "flopping" team..we have a reputation for "flopping", but you don't hear the same criticism for other teams..we saw it all throughout the Phoenix series'..they didn't criticize Nash and Bell, but they'd go after Manu, Oberto and the others..they don't go after Fisher, Vujacic, and Gasol, but they go after our guys..

we're the "dirty" team..when Bynum almost kills Gerald Wallace, when Steve Nash constantly uses his feet against other players, when anybody else in the NBA does this, it's considered an accident..when the Spurs do it, it's considered dirty and cheap..

we're the "slow, boring" team..Boston plays the same style, Cleveland plays at a slower pace..the Hornets play at a slower pace..these teams play grind-out basketball..but the small market team with the clean superstar is the "boring" team..

the league, the media, the fans..they all hate the Spurs, every time we're on top, and every time we creep up on the flashy, elite teams as well..it's sad how much we're hated, just because our team doesn't fit the criteria for popularity..we don't have a rapist leading our team..we don't have a corporate slave leading our team..we don't have a guy that picks on smaller players leading our team..our players don't fuck up enough to get the publicity, which is what the NBA looks for..

it's sad as hell that our players and our teams don't get the credit they deserve year after year..Duncan doesn't have a DPOY, but KG gets one for doing what Duncan did year after year, which is lead/anchor the D to greatness every year..why did KG get it? because he plays in Boston..Bowen doesn't have one, because he's a Spur, and he's "dirty"..ESPN leaves out the best Spurs highlights a lot of the time in the Spurs games recaps LOL..that's how pathetic it is..

..and now they complain because Pop sat out our big 3 on "fan night"..any reason for the media and fans to criticize those "boring" Spurs..

Galileo
02-04-2009, 06:59 PM

we're the most "boring" team in the NBA, but we get criticized for sitting out players, because all of a sudden, the fans wanna see us play..other teams don't receive the same criticism..

we're the "flopping" team..we have a reputation for "flopping", but you don't hear the same criticism for other teams..we saw it all throughout the Phoenix series'..they didn't criticize Nash and Bell, but they'd go after Manu, Oberto and the others..they don't go after Fisher, Vujacic, and Gasol, but they go after our guys..

we're the "dirty" team..when Bynum almost kills Gerald Wallace, when Steve Nash constantly uses his feet against other players, when anybody else in the NBA does this, it's considered an accident..when the Spurs do it, it's considered dirty and cheap..

we're the "slow, boring" team..Boston plays the same style, Cleveland plays at a slower pace..the Hornets play at a slower pace..these teams play grind-out basketball..but the small market team with the clean superstar is the "boring" team..

the league, the media, the fans..they all hate the Spurs, every time we're on top, and every time we creep up on the flashy, elite teams as well..it's sad how much we're hated, just because our team doesn't fit the criteria for popularity..we don't have a rapist leading our team..we don't have a corporate slave leading our team..we don't have a guy that picks on smaller players leading our team..our players don't fuck up enough to get the publicity, which is what the NBA looks for..

it's sad as hell that our players and our teams don't get the credit they deserve year after year..Duncan doesn't have a DPOY, but KG gets one for doing what Duncan did year after year, which is lead/anchor the D to greatness every year..why did KG get it? because he plays in Boston..Bowen doesn't have one, because he's a Spur, and he's "dirty"..ESPN leaves out the best Spurs highlights a lot of the time in the Spurs games recaps LOL..that's how pathetic it is..

..and now they complain because Pop sat out our big 3 on "fan night"..any reason for the media and fans to criticize those "boring" Spurs..

RACK IT!!

koriwhat
02-04-2009, 07:09 PM
everyone loves to hate the greatest.... it comes with the territory.

Jmoney
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
You forgot the refs love the Spurs..

Somewhere right now Joey Crawford and Tim Duncan are eating dinner together talking about the love they have for each other.

celldweller
02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
+1 :tu

DrHouse
02-04-2009, 07:39 PM
The Spurs are one of the most respected teams in the league. I don't know what you're talking about.

But if it makes you feel any better to have a persecution complex about your team go for it.

koriwhat
02-04-2009, 07:41 PM
The Spurs are one of the most respected teams in the league. I don't know what you're talking about.

But if it makes you feel any better to have a persecution complex about your team go for it.

i think among coaches, yes, but among the majority which includes not only so-called fans but also the media then that'd have to be a big NO.

DrHouse
02-04-2009, 07:44 PM
i think among coaches, yes, but among the majority which includes not only so-called fans but also the media then that'd have to be a big NO.

:lmao

Trust me amongst fans and coaches your team is well respected.

Look at what people say about the Lakers and then compare. You guys have it real good.

manufor3
02-04-2009, 07:47 PM

Look at what people say about the Lakers and then compare. You guys have it real good.

the media? i dont think so

FromWayDowntown
02-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I'd agree that the Spurs are among the most respected teams in the association and I think Spurs fans frequently overblow the whole "the media hates us" angle.

With that said, though, it was a bit galling last year to see the knob-slobbing media talk about the Celtics defense as if no team in NBA history had ever defended as well, given that in terms of metrics that account for pace, the Spurs have had statistically better defensive teams in 5 of the last 10 seasons. And it continues to evade my understanding how it is possible that both Bruce Bowen and Tim Duncan will retire without having ever won Defensive Player of the Year -- particularly Duncan, who has never finished worse than 4th in metrics like Defensive Rating.

But even through that, it's clear that the people that matter in the NBA know what's going on in San Antonio and, for the most part, have a great respect for what the Spurs have done and continue to do. That should be enough.

The Truth #6
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to other coaches follow suit and do the exact same thing Pop did and bench their star players.

Normally, I don't care about the Spurs perception but the reaction to this has been overboard. We're "too old" and "too slow" but we're not allowed to rest our guys?

I can somewhat understand some Denver fans missing out, but not the avalanche of response defending them.

The irony is last night was actually a good game that was close to the end. If the Big 3 played we probably would have gotten rolled, which is why Pop sat them, among other reasons.

Obstructed_View
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM

This may be the first post of yours that I completely agree with. Weird.

mystargtr34
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
This may be the first post of yours that I completely agree with. Weird.

DrHouse is coming around. Still a fuckstick, but a somewhat respectable fuckstick.

koriwhat
02-04-2009, 08:43 PM

i think i covered the coaches in my reply... the fans... maybe a few but the majority out there outside of sa don't know shit about basketball other then dunk, dunk, dunk, lebron, kobe, dunk, dunk, dunk.

703 Spurz
02-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Ohhh so that explains the trolls that come here

Rogue
02-04-2009, 08:52 PM
pistons used to take all the fames until ben walked and pistons started to rebuild.

those teams without championships are always jealous of those who have a couple of them. the league's most outstanding team always draws more critism than others, just because of envy.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM

+ 1

gingerwave
02-04-2009, 09:00 PM
some will love em some will hate em. I love em. :flag:

nkdlunch
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM

if by respected you mean talked shit of, ignored, hated. then yes. we are very respected :rolleyes

ClingingMars
02-04-2009, 09:03 PM
pistons used to take all the fames until ben walked and pistons started to rebuild.

those teams without championships are always jealous of those who have a couple of them. the league's most outstanding team always draws more critism than others, just because of envy.

+1

good take rogue

Doctor J
02-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I do love Spurs. That will do.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
if by respected you mean talked shit of, ignored, hated. then yes. we are very respected :rolleyes

I understand that the Spurs aren't "hyped" and don't get their due as "America's team" :lol --where they actually promote the team-philosophy that fans appreciated in the 80's, 90's, but I don't like how some Spurs fans have to go out of their way to sulk about it. Do we really need to pat ourselves on the back for having such an "under-appreciated team" when our team has been winning and continues to win?
Tim Duncan gets voted an all-star every year. And Spurs are always listed as top 4 contending teams, even by non Spurs fans. Pop's always listed along side Phil Jackson.
From what "little respect" the Spurs get today, it could be a lot worse for us Spurs fans given the rise and fall of other franchises who had their spot in the national media.

I'm just glad the actual players could care less.

We don't need disingenuous praise from the ADD fans and moreso the national media. Two years ago it was the Run & Gun Suns that got the attention, now it's the Kobe-Gasol Lakers , and Garnett's Celtics..:lmao In this day in age if you're being praised by media (sports and beyond), there's usually little substance there so who needs the validation of the press.

FreeMason
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM

It's great man. You nailed it though. :toast

Embrace the hate. DRINK IT UP

spursfan09
02-04-2009, 10:44 PM
hey we should be good with the media now. We gave them a story to talk about.

m33p0
02-04-2009, 11:16 PM
DrHouse is coming around. Still a fuckstick, but a somewhat respectable fuckstick.
no self-respecting fuckstick would call himself respectable.

Yorae
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Well, it's usually the media that hates us, so I'm somehow glad Pop fucks them up (though unintentionally sometimes). Screw them.