PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio City Manager Sheryl Sculley Speechless

jackseven
02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Sculley Video (http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/[email protected]&navCatId=5)

Sculley currently has an incentive laden 3 year contract worth over $1,000,000 in salary and incentives and now mayor Phil Hardberger wants to slap another $20k/year on her salary. Seeing as how we're in a little bit of an economic pinch, WOAI Erik Runge asked her if she'd consider reducing the pay increase. Her response tells the story.

She already had a well paying contract. Why tack on more money just for the hell of it?

BTW she has a huge severance package.

Viva Las Espuelas
02-05-2009, 12:32 AM
i don't know who's worse. her, or pelosi.

FreeMason
02-05-2009, 12:33 AM
The one with more power.

PM5K
02-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Her response was hi-fucking-larious

SA210
02-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Wonder what's really goin' on there Mr. Hardberger...:makeout?????

:lol

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2009, 04:03 AM
check out ur council rates next year cause someone has to pay for this hike in salary....

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 06:54 AM
That 20K is nothing compared to what she's saved the city and what she could get in the private sector. We've already been over this.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2009, 08:30 AM
lol she earns more than australias prime minister hahahahaha fuck that shit

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 08:41 AM
Thank blank stare was priceless. :lol
I don't care how much she's saved the city or how much she can make in the private sector.
It sends a very bad message in these times and if she's asking for cuts in budgets she should do the same.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Thank blank stare was priceless. :lol
I don't care how much she's saved the city of how much she can make in the private sector.
It sends a very bad message in these times and if she's asking for cuts in budgets she should do the same.

She's not asking for cuts in the budget. But yeah - we shoud run her off and end up getting some one who can't do the job as well as her because in times like this the people in our city can't be bothered to see the big picture.

Blake
02-05-2009, 09:22 AM
That 20K is nothing compared to what she's saved the city and what she could get in the private sector. We've already been over this.

really? where would she go in the private sector right now to get $300k?

JudynTX
02-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Soooooooooooo.......where's that $30 million the City "supposedly" found?

Blake
02-05-2009, 09:25 AM
She's not asking for cuts in the budget. But yeah - we shoud run her off and end up getting some one who can't do the job as well as her because in times like this the people in our city can't be bothered to see the big picture.

There aren't any budget cuts per se, but as I just heard on the radio, she is asking all the departments to find positions to consolidate, which ultimately means others have to take on more work........for their same pay.......while she gets an extra $20k......

yeah, in the grand scheme of things, an extra $20k a year for a city manager isn't really much, but in a time where everyone is pinching pennies, $20k on top of a salary that already puts her in the top 3 or 4 city managers in the country sounds excessive.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 09:26 AM

WTF!?!? Who said to run her off? All I'm saying is $20K is no small raise but hey, I'm just your average joe. In times like this maybe she also needs to look at the big picture and maybe the picture of her not taking that raise is what gave her that blank look?

Blake
02-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Soooooooooooo.......where's that $30 million the City "supposedly" found?

are you talking about the CPS money?

They said they are going to do a bunch of street repairs.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:29 AM
WTF!?!? Who said to run her off? All I'm saying is $20K is no small raise but hey, I'm just your average joe. In times like this maybe she also needs to look at the big picture and maybe the picture of her not taking that raise is what gave her that blank look?

She gave the blank look because she thought the reporter was crazy for asking the question. I don't blame her. Sure, it would be awesome for her to give up her salary raise but I know I wouldn't. She's saved the city MILLIONS so how large does 20kk look compared to that? I've got absolutely no problem paying those who get the job done.

Das Texan
02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I found Sculley's new contract hilarious.

Hardberger must have looked at who was running for mayor and said, "Oh Shit! I gotta do something to make sure the city doesnt fully goto hell once I leave."

Das Texan
02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
She gave the blank look because she thought the reporter was crazy for asking the question. I don't blame her. Sure, it would be awesome for her to give up her salary raise but I know I wouldn't. She's saved the city MILLIONS so how large does 20kk look compared to that? I've got absolutely no problem paying those who get the job done.

And its not like we have a mayor and city council to pay anyway.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:32 AM
There aren't any budget cuts per se, but as I just heard on the radio, she is asking all the departments to find positions to consolidate, which ultimately means others have to take on more work........for their same pay.......while she gets an extra $20k......

yeah, in the grand scheme of things, an extra $20k a year for a city manager isn't really much, but in a time where everyone is pinching pennies, $20k on top of a salary that already puts her in the top 3 or 4 city managers in the country sounds excessive.

It only sounds excessive to those who aren't familiar with San Antonio Government and how it functions. She's running the city and she has an enormous amount of power. I'm not completely sure about this, but I'm fairly certain no other city the size of San Antonio or larger has a council manager system where the CM carriers this much power.

And she's asking the departments to prepare in case they have to draw things down. I don't have a problem with city government running as efficiently as possible. In fact thats exactly what I want.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM

Why was it a crazy question to ask? I found it to be a totally legit question to ask during these economic times and when she is looking at the budget and where to save.

JudynTX
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
are you talking about the CPS money?

They said they are going to do a bunch of street repairs.

This money.

Thanks to past lapses of financial oversight, stretching back 25 years in some cases, the City Council finds itself with a surprise $30 million — and it’s ready to spend.

"It’s kind of like your long-lost cousin has left you a bunch of money," Mayor Phil Hardberger said.

During a Friday news conference, Hardberger and Councilwoman Delicia Herrera lavished praise on City Manager Sheryl Sculley for finding the $30 million, essentially the financial dregs of more than 1,000 bond projects. According to Sculley, the money — left over from the projects — sat in the bank and collected interest, instead of going to debt repayment or into similar projects, as it should have.

Sculley said the city now has “stronger financial management systems in place" to insure no bond funding is orphaned again.

Soon after arriving here three years ago, Sculley began looking to close out bond projects OK’d by voters in 1994, 1999 and 2003 — a long list of unfinished work that had embarrassed city officials — and jobs paid for with certificates of obligation, which is debt that doesn’t require voter approval. The discovery of the $30 million stemmed from that effort, she said.

“This is really the result of two things: aggressively completing prior bond projects and (certificate of obligation) projects, and the strengthening of our financial management system,” Sculley said. “We have better reporting, better oversight.”

Word of the windfall left Councilwoman Lourdes Galvan atwitter.

"Our hearts were pumping yesterday just thinking about all the things we were going to do with the money," she said.

Hardberger said the money will be split evenly between the 10 council districts and his office for projects that have already been prioritized, such as the development of Voelcker Park, the redevelopment of Mission Drive-In and street work aimed at complementing Fort Sam Houston’s expansion.

Still, the money hasn’t been divvied up yet.

Don’t look for any of it to go for property tax relief or debt reduction, or into the city’s reserves.

"We are on a good schedule as far as the retirement of our debt -- it’s not as if we’re behind on that -- and we have close to $100 million in reserves," Hardberger said. "I think those are reasonably well taken care of, and don’t need help. But our streets do need help. They need it now. The general infrastructure needs are more immediate."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Hardberger_touts_30_million_windfall.html

Blake
02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
She gave the blank look because she thought the reporter was crazy for asking the question. I don't blame her.

:lol I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you on that one.....

she gave a blank stare because she was unprepared to answer that question

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Oh well, I live in Converse so I'll shut my pie hole and you all can pay her what you want.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Yeah - asking someone if they're going to give up 15% or so of their income is a legit question.

Its pretty damn insulting when you've just saved the city millions and you get this much shit over 20k. See, the public schools are fucked up when people can't tell how far apart those 2 figures are.

There's a reason even the people who were against hiring her who sit on city council were in favor of the raise. What do you think that reason is?

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Okay, I was wrong. She is worth every penny she gets.

Das Texan
02-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Sculley Video (http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/[email protected]&navCatId=5)

Sculley currently has an incentive laden 3 year contract worth over $1,000,000 in salary and incentives and now mayor Phil Hardberger wants to slap another $20k/year on her salary. Seeing as how we're in a little bit of an economic pinch, WOAI Erik Runge asked her if she'd consider reducing the pay increase. Her response tells the story.

She already had a well paying contract. Why tack on more money just for the hell of it?

BTW she has a huge severance package.

wait i actually have a question.

what fucking economic pinch is the city of san antonio in currently?

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Our streets do need massive repairs so if they use the money for that I'm not against it. I just hope it doesn't all go to northside streets.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM

Oh I think she was prepared but I'm not too sure "are you fucking nuts?" would have gone over so well.

Das Texan
Yeah - asking someone if they're going to give up 15% or so of their income is a legit question.

Its pretty damn insulting when you've just saved the city millions and you get this much shit over 20k. See, the public schools are fucked up when people can't tell how far apart those 2 figures are.

There's a reason even the people who were against hiring her who sit on city council were in favor of the raise. What do you think that reason is?

I was against hiring her in the first place.

But she has done an absolutely outstanding job. She basically runs the city with the city council being totally inept and the mayor being largely a figurehead.

Factor that in and she is worth every damn penny. People fail to look big picture and focus on smaller items which when you realize it all, actually starts to make some semblance of sense.

JoeChalupa

I concur.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Our streets do need massive repairs so if they use the money for that I'm not against it. I just hope it doesn't all go to northside streets.

:lmao I'll be surprised if it doesn't.

Das Texan
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM

Well if they let the idiot city council people in the non Northside districts determine what they do with their money, it would probably be better used on Northside streets :lol

Just let Scully divide it up equally amongst the districts doing infrastructure stuff.

Please dont let those fucking city council idiots have final say over these funds.

Blake
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
And she's asking the departments to prepare in case they have to draw things down. I don't have a problem with city government running as efficiently as possible. In fact thats exactly what I want.

so she's asking the departments to prepare for the worst while she takes an extra $20k for herself.

Twisted_Dawg
02-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I hate to admit it......I'd hit it.

Something about those powerful women......

Blake
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Nobody's asking her to give up any of her current salary. They are asking how it's fiscally responsible to accept an extra 20k a year.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
so she's asking the departments to prepare for the worst while she takes an extra $20k for herself.

Thats what happens when you're the one in charge and you do an outstanding job. Whats so wrong with that? She got a raise so now she should STOP doing what got her the raise? Pretty foolish reasoning.

Really, she's not running up to San Antonio strollers and stealing babies candy.

Das Texan
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Nobody's asking her to give up any of her current salary. They are asking how it's fiscally responsible to accept an extra 20k a year.

Would you turn down and extra 20k if it were offered to you?

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Because the skill set she brings to the job is worth far more and she'll end up saving the city more than 20k. You do realize the city is not in economic trouble, right?

Blake
02-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Thats what happens when you're the one in charge and you do an outstanding job. Whats so wrong with that? She got a raise so now she should STOP doing what got her the raise? Pretty foolish reasoning.

Really, she's not running up to San Antonio strollers and stealing babies candy.

well if her raise was so easy to justify, then why the blank stare?

If she or Hardberger can give great reasons why she deserves it then fine, we are good to go.

Right now all I see is a blank stare.

Das Texan
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Because the skill set she brings to the job is worth far more and she'll end up saving the city more than 20k. You do realize the city is not in economic trouble, right?

All of this over an idiot journalist asking an idiotic question.

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
one of the dumbest questions I've heard asked. btw, she deserves the money. She's damn good at her job.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 09:59 AM
well if her raise was so easy to justify, then why the blank stare?

If she or Hardberger can give great reasons why she deserves it then fine, we are good to go.

Right now all I see is a blank stare.

Sure, focus on the blank stare and not on the millions saved. Or the 30 million uncovered above. Or San Antoino's bond raiting.

Blank stare. Got it.

It's a no win situation for her to try to justify the money. You think a city like San Antonio has residents who are able to understand what she's done? Yeah fucking right. All people want to do is focus on 20k - man thats a lot of money!!! I mean hell - YOU are doing it in this thread.

Das Texan
02-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Sure, focus on the blank stare and not on the millions saved. Or the 30 million uncovered above. Or San Antoino's bond raiting.

Blank stare. Got it.

It's a no win situation for her to try to justify the money. You think a city like San Antonio has residents who are able to understand what she's done? Yeah fucking right. All people want to do is focus on 20k - man thats a lot of money!!! I mean hell - YOU are doing it in this thread.

Ya and the question wasnt even about why she deserves her raise and to ask to justify it.

Idiot question.

But hey! It might get an extra viewer or two!

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Because the skill set she brings to the job is worth far more and she'll end up saving the city more than 20k.

wow, if only the reporter had asked you instead of Sculley.

You do realize the city is not in economic trouble, right?

so that means party time!

raises all around!

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:06 AM
wow, if only the reporter had asked you instead of Sculley.

Yeah because Sculley saying that would have gone over extremely well. I mean if you guys are grilling her this hard over a blank stare god knows what you would say if she said that

so that means party time!

raises all around!

Or maybe just to those who save the city a million here and a million there.

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:10 AM

I'd rather hear Hardberger talk about the millions saved. Not you.

Blank stare. Got it.

So it's better for her to say nothing and stare blankly ahead. Got it.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
I'd rather hear Hardberger talk about the millions saved. Not you.

I guess if you weren't ignorant on the subject you'd know he and all of the city council has. Way before they voted for it. Your pony is a bit slow bud.

ididnotnothat
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
one of the dumbest questions I've heard asked. btw, she deserves the money. She's damn good at her job.

It was a fair question. She just wasn't as ready as MIG.

peewee's lovechild
02-05-2009, 10:19 AM
[Hardberger wants to slap another

:lmao:lmao

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I guess if you weren't ignorant on the subject you'd know he and all of the city council has. Way before they voted for it. Your pony is a bit slow bud.

I'm not the one staring blankly ahead.

to21
02-05-2009, 10:21 AM
She's great at her job and is worth every penny she ALREADY get's paid.

CubanMustGo
02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
She's probably tired of hearing shit about her salary. She could walk tomorrow and double what she makes in private industry.

gay abc
saving the city $$$ is her part of her job in first place no? so she gets a nice raise for "doing" her job, i need to ask my boss for an increase just because i'm doing my job

BRB

MannyIsGod
I'm not the one staring blankly ahead.

You're also not the one collecting a 20k raise now are you?

Hillary
I hate to admit it......I'd hit it.

Something about those powerful women......

Do you think I'm sexy?

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 10:25 AM
saving the city $$$ is her part of her job in first place no? so she gets a nice raise for "doing" her job, i need to ask my boss for an increase just because i'm doing my job

BRB

so when does she deserve a raise?

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 10:26 AM

I am happy that you've opened yourself up to experiencing class warfare.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:26 AM

BRB

If you had the ablity to switch jobs and make a lot more elsewhere would you ask for a raise or not?

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I am happy that you've opened yourself up to experiencing class warfare.

:lmao

Numerically challenged warfare is more like it.

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
She's great at her job and is worth every penny she ALREADY get's paid.

if we don't give her a raise, someone else will. then we'll have problems attracting talent.

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 10:30 AM
:lmao

Numerically challenged warfare is more like it.

people suck at math, what else is new? however, I guarantee part of this is class.

to21
02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
if we don't give her a raise, someone else will. then we'll have problems attracting talent.:lol

Maybe there's some free agent CM out there we can get on the MLE.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
people suck at math, what else is new? however, I guarantee part of this is class.

Yeah without a doubt. People in San Antonio are generally poor, and all they see is 20k. But shit, even they should be able to subtract 20k from 30 million and see there's a hell of a lot leftover.

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
She's probably tired of hearing shit about her salary. She could walk tomorrow and double what she makes in private industry.

really? where?

she didnt really want to come here to begin with but in the end, she couldnt turn down the money that SA was throwing at her

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 10:37 AM

Maybe there's some free agent CM out there we can get on the MLE.

for the highly compensated and talented, that's sort of how it works.

I guarantee you she receives phone calls from headhunters all of the time.

I know this from experience, and yes it feels good, and yes it felt like I was a FA.

gay abc
02-05-2009, 10:37 AM

is she only one getting a raise?...just asking

and my boss said NO and be glad i have a job :lol

gay abc
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM
If you had the ablity to switch jobs and make a lot more elsewhere would you ask for a raise or not?

i've been in that situation, i went where the $$$ is, no brainer

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:40 AM

I'm also not calling for civilian position hiring freezes and department budget responsibility while accepting a 20k raise.

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
is she only one getting a raise?...just asking

and my boss said NO and be glad i have a job :lol

do you have another job waiting to pay you more? If not, you lack leverage.
You would do yourself well always having leverage in business relationships.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
i've been in that situation, i went where the $$$ is, no brainer

Well there you go.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm also not calling for civilian position hiring freezes and department budget responsibility while accepting a 20k raise.

Well you're also not throwing down over Tim Duncan in the NBA.

What do the 2 have in common? You lack the skill for either.

30 million - 20k = A thread full of Blake's mathematical prowess

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:44 AM

I guess right after announcing a hiring freeze is as good a time as any.

to21
02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
for the highly compensated and talented, that's sort of how it works.

I guarantee you she receives phone calls from headhunters all of the time.

I know this from experience, and yes it feels good, and yes it felt like I was a FA.If she's so good why stop at 20k why not 50k, 75k? The money is not the issue in my opinion. Like I said she's good at what she does and is worth what she currently makes.....I know she's saved the city millions.

All I'm saying is as a city leader asking for cut-backs and receiving a raise doesn't really set a great example.

ComfortablyNumb
02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Show her the money!!!!!

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM

what does dunking over Tim Duncan have to do with this thread? I lack the mathematical prowess to figure that one out.

ComfortablyNumb
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM

That leaves over $29 million for raises for the Police and Fire Departments.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I guess right after announcing a hiring freeze is as good a time as any.

You should continue to make things up. Almost none of what you say is happening is happening.

to21
02-05-2009, 10:49 AM
That leaves over $29 million for raises for the Police and Fire Departments.Exactly, if anyone deserves a raise....

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 10:51 AM
If she's so good why stop at 20k why not 50k, 75k? The money is not the issue in my opinion. Like I said she's good at what she does and is worth what she currently makes.....I know she's saved the city millions.

All I'm saying is as a city leader asking for cut-backs and receiving a raise doesn't really set a great example.

why not a gillion, what's your point? The raise is to reward excellence, which is never a given, and to keep her happy and well incentivized for the tough times ahead. Without the carrot you get the workers a DPS. We don't need that type of attitude from our city manager.

and cutting back on the lazy people who act like they are doing me a favor at city government is fine by me.

Blake
The money is not the issue in my opinion.

+1

MannyIsGod
The police and fireman are getting raises. The firemen larger than the police if I remember correctly.

ididnotnothat
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Exactly, if anyone deserves a raise....

+1 I guess saving the city millions is more important than putting your life on the line.

2centsworth
this is about the point the serenity prayer kicks in for me.

good luck peeps and I'm out.

MannyIsGod
There is no hiring freeze.

There are no planned cut backs.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
this is about the point the serenity prayer kicks in for me.

good luck peeps and I'm out.

I have more time to kill before class. I don't go down that easy.

Blake
02-05-2009, 10:53 AM
why not a gillion, what's your point? The raise is to reward excellence, which is never a given, and to keep her happy and well incentivized for the tough times ahead. Without the carrot you get the workers a DPS. We don't need that type of attitude from our city manager.

and cutting back on the lazy people who act like they are doing me a favor at city government is fine by me.

I'm not sure what 'without the carrot you get the workers a DPS' means, but basically I'm reading here that Sculley is the model of excellence while everyone beneath her is lazy. Got it.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure what 'without the carrot you get the workers a DPS' means, but basically I'm reading here that Sculley is the model of excellence while everyone beneath her is lazy. Got it.

Its quite obvious you hear what you want. You didn't have to actually point it out.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Sculley, meanwhile, repeated that she does not expect cuts in service or layoffs. However, she is asking all city department heads to submit new budgets that would trim 2 percent of their current spending plans. Those cuts would only be implemented if the economy continues to worsen.
The police and fire departments, which account for the lion's share of the $929 million general operating fund, were asked to submit budgets with 1 percent cuts in case the situation doesn't improve.
Some City Council members attending a budget informational session seemed surprised when told that the current city plan would be showing a $21 million deficit if it hadn't been for $22 million carried over from the 2008 budget.
Without that cushion, Zanoni said, cuts or layoffs would have already occurred.

BTW who was responsible for that surplus?

Blake
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
There is no hiring freeze.

You're right.....it's a hiring "chill"

Sculley, who also initiated an immediate “hiring chill” on vacant positions, said the city wants to be ready with a plan should the national economy suffer a more significant downturn.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/City_prepares_for_drop_in_funds.html

There are no planned cut backs.

No, there are just contingency plans in place........which apparently includes a 6.8 percent ($20k) raise for the city manager....

which by the way, firefighters received about 5%, police about 4% and the rest of the civilians a generous 3% cost of living increase.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I'd hire Manny today if I could....less the $20K increase of course.

to21
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM

:tu way to lump in all city workers into one group.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
:tu way to lump in all city workers into one group.

I don't think he said fire all city employees - he said fire the lazy one.

Reading is fundamental.

Blake
02-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Its quite obvious you hear what you want. You didn't have to actually point it out.

mm....no i guess i didn't have to.

MannyIsGod
02-05-2009, 11:04 AM
You're right.....it's a hiring "chill"

No, there are just contingency plans in place........which apparently includes a 6.8 percent ($20k) raise for the city manager....

which by the way, firefighters received about 5%, police about 4% and the rest of the civilians a generous 3% cost of living increase.

You realize her raise was only slightly more than 5%?

to21
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM

Reading is fundamental.Oh snap!!

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
My 5% raise was 2K....and I admit I didn't turn it down. I'm such a damn hypocrite. My bad.

Blake
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
You realize her raise was only slightly more than 5%?

if you mean 6.8% then yes, I realize that.

A thread full of MIG's mathematical prowess.

Blake
02-05-2009, 11:15 AM

Reading is fundamental.

I don't think he said fire the lazy one.

I think he said cutting back on the lazy people who act like they are doing him a favor at city government is fine by him.

So both math and reading are fundamental. Got it.

Blake
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
My 5% raise was 2K....and I admit I didn't turn it down. I'm such a damn hypocrite. My bad.

do you deserve your 5% raise?

Blake
02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
You should continue to make things up. Almost none of what you say is happening is happening.

what exactly am I making up? I'm just reading off of the articles from mysa.

seems to me you guys are the ones talking about private sectors and head hunters banging on her door offering her big time $$$ and that if we don't pony up, she is on the first plane out of here.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 11:35 AM
do you deserve your 5% raise?

Inflation says I do. :lol

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 11:37 AM
what exactly am I making up? I'm just reading off of the articles from mysa.

seems to me you guys are the ones talking about private sectors and head hunters banging on her door offering her big time $$$ and that if we don't pony up, she is on the first plane out of here.

maybe not the first plane, but maybe later. She's worth it and I don't say that very often about government officials. btw, the Police and Fireman have one of the best retirement programs in the entire nation. People are applying for those positions in droves. not more than 5 years ago you could test low and get a job as a fireman. Now 97 is about the cutoff because of the demand for those jobs.

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 11:41 AM
If she's worth so much she'll leave sooner or later. As would I.

2centsworth
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
If she's worth so much she'll leave sooner or later. As would I.

San Antonio is a great place to live. You don't need to be the highest paid, but as long as we're competitive people stay.

Blake
02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
maybe not the first plane, but maybe later.

so 'maybe' is reason enough to give her the 20k raise?

oh yeah, I forgot that it is considered appropriate in this thread that when you save someone else money, you should be given a small chunk of that money.

She's worth it and I don't say that very often about government officials. btw, the Police and Fireman have one of the best retirement programs in the entire nation. People are applying for those positions in droves. not more than 5 years ago you could test low and get a job as a fireman. Now 97 is about the cutoff because of the demand for those jobs.

sidebar:
police and fire may just have the best/strongest union in the nation. They have something like a 99% membership rate and they squeeze every ounce of it out during budget time.

Blake
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Inflation says I do. :lol

based on your probable salary that is a perfectly acceptable answer.

a blank stare is not a good answer.

S_A_Longhorn
02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
mannyisgod = hardberger

Blake
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
San Antonio is a great place to live. You don't need to be the highest paid, but as long as we're competitive people stay.

You don't need to be the highest paid.........but we'll go ahead and make Sculley the highest paid anyway.

Blake
02-05-2009, 12:38 PM
mannyisgod = hardberger

mannyisgod = Sculley's son that is in her will

jcrod
02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Is she still getting her partime job in Austin?

I don't have a problem with the raise, but have a HUGE problem taking a part time job.

Blake
02-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Is she still getting her partime job in Austin?

I don't have a problem with the raise, but have a HUGE problem taking a part time job.

yes

gay abc
02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/City_Council_signs_off_on_big_raise_for_Sculley.ht ml

Sculley's new contract would give her a $20,000 pay raise, to $315,000, and allow her to accept a part-time teaching job at the University of Texas, according to Mayor Phil Hardberger.

It also has built-in escalators that would kick in over time as the full council reviewed her performance. With a satisfactory job review by a majority of council members, her pay would increase to $335,000 in the pact's second year and $355,000 in the third year.

But the pact also says Sculley's proposed yearly pay raises would be cut by 50 percent if the national economic downturn causes a cancellation of city workers' cost-of-living pay increases, according to Hardberger.

The contract was not made public after the vote; City Attorney Michael Bernard said until the contract is signed by the manager and the mayor it is not a public document.

Later, Rodriguez said the new clause that gave him heartburn was over the amount of severance pay the manager would receive in the case of an "involuntary termination." The current contract allows for 12 months of pay; the new one increases that to 15 months in 2009, 18 months in 2010 and 21 months in 2011.

:wow

BRHornet45
02-05-2009, 01:04 PM

sons leave it up to MannyIsGod to defend the Democrats no matter what! all he needs to see is the letter "D" next to their name and that is all he needs to know to defend them! get off your high horse Manny boy and put down your Obama replica African fetish dildo and learn to see past "D" and "R" ...

PM5K
02-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I feel far too lazy to get into this right now, but this is one of the few times that I disagree with MIG...

jack sommerset
02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Geez. Lead by example. Say "no thanks" to the raise. See whats going on in 6 months to a year. Maybe they can give her $40,000 if the economy is better. Who knows? There is a reason she does not go to the private sector. I have no clue what it is but she not there. Some things are just wrong and this is one of them.

The look on her face said alot when she was asked that question.

PM5K
02-05-2009, 03:46 PM
If you didn't watch the video, this is pretty much what she looked like:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd55/roguesuicide/DeerInHeadlights.jpg

Richard Cranium
02-05-2009, 03:51 PM
She had a Sarah Palin moment.

jcrod
02-05-2009, 05:19 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/City_Council_signs_off_on_big_raise_for_Sculley.ht ml

Sculley's new contract would give her a $20,000 pay raise, to $315,000, and allow her to accept a part-time teaching job at the University of Texas, according to Mayor Phil Hardberger.

It also has built-in escalators that would kick in over time as the full council reviewed her performance. With a satisfactory job review by a majority of council members, her pay would increase to $335,000 in the pact's second year and $355,000 in the third year.

But the pact also says Sculley's proposed yearly pay raises would be cut by 50 percent if the national economic downturn causes a cancellation of city workers' cost-of-living pay increases, according to Hardberger.

The contract was not made public after the vote; City Attorney Michael Bernard said until the contract is signed by the manager and the mayor it is not a public document.

Later, Rodriguez said the new clause that gave him heartburn was over the amount of severance pay the manager would receive in the case of an "involuntary termination." The current contract allows for 12 months of pay; the new one increases that to 15 months in 2009, 18 months in 2010 and 21 months in 2011.

:wow

I don't understand how you can allow a person making that much money take a part time job. Someone please explain this to me.

Blake
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't understand how you can allow a person making that much money take a part time job. Someone please explain this to me.

I've got a buddy who is a city manager in a small town around the DFW area and he also does part time teaching at a nearby college. He also is working on his doctorate.....of course, he is doing it in order to pad his resume to work up to a big city.

I'm just curious why she wants to do the teaching gig right now. Does being city manager of SA bore her that much?

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 05:33 PM

I don't understand why someone making that much money would need a part-time job.
I'm sure it is not about the money but more for her career development.

gay abc
02-05-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't understand why someone making that much money would need a part-time job.
I'm sure it is not about the money but more for her career development.

have you seen her husband? :lol

JoeChalupa
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
have you seen her husband? :lol

No I have not but that 20K raise would get a rise out of me.

jackseven
02-05-2009, 06:01 PM
There are two sides to the story here.

First is that Sculley is very well paid in respect to other city managers. She is the highest paid in Texas and one of the highest paid in the nation. I've seen nothing definitive about her actual rank in the nation, but Phoenix City Manager Frank Fairbanks makes $242,446 a year starting in July.

Second, it appears that if Hardberger had accurately and fully portrayed the contract, there may have been more dissension (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/politics/36278929.html) in her contract approval.

Third, if you think San Antonio can weather the coming economic disaster, you are grossly mistaken. I will say that SA is much better off than other places, but being concerned about economics - yes even in the hotbed of SA - is justified.

Fourth, the woman had a year on her contract (correct me if I'm wrong here). Why not let it play out and then re-up? From what I've watched/read, it doesn't sound like she was even asking for more money.

Still, from everything I've read she's worth $500,000 a year. I really posted the video because its so damn funny but as I was looking up articles for the above bullets, I saw a number of great things about her. She's pushing it with the whole managing the 7th largest city thing and taking a professorship, but maybe she is just that damn good.

Edit: Also, what happened to just fulfilling your contract and doing the best job you can? If you're worth it, you will be rewarded one way or the other. Apparently she was going to do that before HB threw cash at her.

Biernutz
02-05-2009, 08:15 PM
If Sculley was able to find $30 Mil left over from projects 25 years old ,then she can keep the $20 grand.

Clandestino
02-05-2009, 10:57 PM
SO, is she really that good or does she just seem like a good manager because our previous managers sucked so bad?

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm just going to say this. If WOAI received the same amount of questions about the city manager's raise as we did, it's a fair question.

I'm not saying she should or she shouldn't, but it's a fair question, especially considering there are people who wanted to know the answer. Are journos supposed to ask the questions people want answers to or aren't they?

Mark in Austin
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I said it in the other thread on this and I'll say it again: it's not a question of IF she deserves it, it's a question of understanding which way the political winds are blowing and acting with some wisdom.

Same could be said of the current stimulus plan - sticking anything having to do with reproductive health in a plan when you know that the opposition is chomping at the bit to find a wedge issue to pull it apart is simply fucking stupid, no matter how justifiable the program/funding is.

It's about stepping back and understanding the bigger picture - her pay raise is going to probably overshadow anything else she does this year, no matter how well she performs. And because there is no answer that will satisfy the public, it will dog her at every press conference, every interview, every public appearence. Especially when the city has to make cutbacks and/or raise property taxes, which SA will be forced to do unless sales tax revenue suddenly jumps up again this year.

Every economic issue will be framed by this. Is it fair? No. If everybody understood city management issues as well as the more educated among us, this wouldn't be as big of an issue. But part of being a public servant is knowing how to get your message out and find receptive ears, and the flip side of that is also true: knowing when the timing is bad to bring up an issue that isn't critical.

JoeChalupa
02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
I'll admit my uneducated ass doesn't understand city management like Sculley does but I do understand why the question was asked and why people wanted to know her answer.