PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Rest For 'Big Three' Helps Hairston Get First Real Taste Of NBA

duncan228
02-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Rest for 'Big Three' helps Hairston get first real taste of NBA (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Rest_for_Big_Three_helps_Hairston_get_first_real_t aste_of_NBA.html)
Jeff McDonald

Malik Hairston first suspected something was up Tuesday afternoon when the Spurs' early bus to the Pepsi Center picked up a hitchhiker.

Granted, Hairston hadn't been with the team for long, but he'd never seen Gregg Popovich on this bus before.

The early bus is not the cool kids' bus. It is typically the preferred mode of transportation for broadcasters, assistant coaches and out-of-the-rotation players in need of extra work. Not for head coaches.

But Popovich was on board for a reason. He and his assistants gathered Hairston and the rest of the seldom-used players, and offered a hint of what was to come later against Denver.

“They told me I was going to get some minutes, and to be ready,” Hairston said.

It wasn't long before Hairston realized the reason for his impending increased workload. With his team still feeling the effects of a grueling overtime victory at Golden State the night before, Popovich had decided to rest Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Michael Finley.

Everybody else would be playing more than usual. And Hairston was a part of “everybody else.”

The merit of Popovich's decision to play short-handed — and essentially ribbon-wrap for Denver the playoff tiebreaker — was a point of argument across the Internet and national airwaves Wednesday.

To Hairston, a rookie, there was no debate. He was all for it.

Making just his third NBA appearance, Hairston logged 20 minutes off the bench in the Spurs' closer-than-expected 104-96 loss. He scored 12 points on 6-of-8 shooting, and — little more than a week removed from the Development League — was the team's second-leading scorer behind Roger Mason Jr.

Leaving the Pepsi Center, Hairston finally felt like an NBA player.

“You gotta to love it,” Hairston said. “This is what you work your whole life to get.”

It will likely be a long time before Hairston sees as much action in an NBA game again. On a normal night, one in which his head coach does not opt to pretend it is the preseason, Hairston would line up behind Ginobili, Mason, Finley, Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka on the wing.

Yet for Hairston, just slipping on a Spurs jersey is cause for celebration at this point.

Initially acquired from Phoenix in a draft-day swap of second-round picks in June, Hairston — a 6-foot-6 swingman from Oregon — was the Spurs' final cut in training camp.

He landed, unattached, with the Austin Toros, the Spurs' affiliate in the D-League, where he averaged 21.1 points in 23 games. That was enough to earn Hairston a spot in the D-League All-Star Game, to be played during the NBA's All-Star Weekend in Phoenix.

More importantly for Hairston, it was also enough to earn him a second shot at the NBA. The Spurs, who had always valued his defensive prowess, re-signed him Dec. 22, then called him up on Saturday.

By Tuesday night in Denver, Hairston was recording his first NBA points with a slam dunk on his first NBA field-goal attempt — the basketball equivalent of hitting a home run in your first major league at-bat.

Hairston's most profitable experience against the Nuggets came in defending the prolific Carmelo Anthony for several stretches. Anthony got the better of that battle — he scored 35 points, after all — but for Hairston, it was a good day of on-the-job training.

“It's a tough assignment to go against Carmelo Anthony, but he did fine,” said Mason, who assisted on Hairston's inaugural NBA basket. “He wasn't intimidated. He played hard.”

Hairston also drew praise from one of his fellow passengers on the early bus.

“I thought Malik was very aggressive,” Popovich said. “Played good defense. Wasn't afraid to take it to the rim. I thought he played a fine all-around game.”

Mason invitation official: Mason has been officially invited to participate in the NBA's 3-point shootout on All-Star Weekend, the league announced Wednesday. The Express-News first reported Mason's selection in Sunday's editions.

Mason will join a field that includes two-time defending champion Jason Kopono of Toronto, Indiana's Danny Granger, Orlando's Rashard Lewis, Atlanta's Mike Bibby and Miami's Daequan Cook.

m33p0
02-05-2009, 01:09 AM
nice article. jeff is on full RRT mode.

SenorSpur
02-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Good article.

Regarding Hairston, I wonder if Pop and staff will keep him around for the remainder of the season or send him back to D-League once the RRT is over? Obviously, if he's not going to get regular rotation time (which would be tough), he could use the regular PT that comes from D-League experience.

m33p0
02-05-2009, 01:23 AM
i doubt he can crack the rotation. spurs are pretty deep from positions 1 to 3.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-05-2009, 01:27 AM
I was hoping he could take some Finley/Udoka minutes.

Granted, Udoka doesn't get many minutes, but Finley is getting way too much playing time.

I want Hairston for the rest of the season in a Spurs uni :tu

Blackjack
02-05-2009, 01:30 AM
By Tuesday night in Denver, Hairston was recording his first NBA points with a slam dunk on his first NBA field-goal attempt — the basketball equivalent of hitting a home run in your first major league at-bat.

Really???:shootme

“It's a tough assignment to go against Carmelo Anthony, but he did fine,” said Mason, who assisted on Hairston's inaugural NBA basket. “He wasn't intimidated. He played hard.”

I'm not suprised that he wasn't intimidated and actually did a more than credible job against Anthony, but I can't get over how well he recovers to alter or block shots on the ball. I knew he had a knack for getting a good on-ball block from time-to-time, but it's almost ridiculous how he's able to do it so consistently. Hopefully the refs will catch on and give him a little more respect with the whistle after they've seen him on tape for a while.

I also noticed that Hairston has a little resemblance to Carmelo out there with the way he pushes-off his first-step to get by defenders, and use his deceptive strength/athleticism. I likened Hairston to being a little Bonzi-esqe before, but a poorman's Carmelo would be a nice goal for him to aspire to; well at least on the offensive end utilizing his gifts on the glass, in the paint, and in the mid-range game.

“I thought Malik was very aggressive,” Popovich said. “Played good defense. Wasn't afraid to take it to the rim. I thought he played a fine all-around game.”

That's pretty much gushing, coming from Pop.:tu

spursparker9
02-05-2009, 01:41 AM
mcdonald really did improve

Yorae
02-05-2009, 02:05 AM
He got tips from monroe.

benefactor
02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
On a normal night, one in which his head coach does not opt to pretend it is the preseason, Hairston would line up behind Ginobili, Mason, Finley, Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka on the wing.
If he does not do something worthwhile after the RRT, its time to doghouse him for good. I haven't seen anything that makes believe he is anywhere close to wanting to make a meaningful contribution.

jmard5
02-05-2009, 08:39 AM
nice article. jeff is on full RRT mode.

I never realized that this was a Jeff McDonald article until you pointed it out.

Granted that it was on the title, just missed it out completely.

Ice009
02-05-2009, 09:11 AM
I think Pop should give Malik a few more chances to show what he can do. If Malik shows he can consistently put the ball on the floor and get to the rim then Pop has to keep him on the roster. The Spurs can always use a player than can attack the rim and draw fouls.

Malik also showed he can play defense in the preseason so if he can at least be adequate on that end of the floor why not keep him on the roster? The reason I'm using the offensive angle is because I don't think defense would be enough to keep Malik on the roster this season. IMO he has to show Pop something on the offensive end that he can't get from many of the other players on the team for him to stick for rest of the season.

jdev82
02-05-2009, 11:05 AM
he could play in front of udoka and behind finley at the three.
dont forget, this guy played power forward for the ducks in college.

m33p0
02-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I think Pop should give Malik a few more chances to show what he can do. If Malik shows he can consistently put the ball on the floor and get to the rim then Pop has to keep him on the roster. The Spurs can always use a player than can attack the rim and draw fouls.

Malik also showed he can play defense in the preseason so if he can at least be adequate on that end of the floor why not keep him on the roster? The reason I'm using the offensive angle is because I don't think defense would be enough to keep Malik on the roster this season. IMO he has to show Pop something on the offensive end that he can't get from many of the other players on the team for him to stick for rest of the season.
malik?

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Hairston will definitely get a shot to prove himself a few more times after that last game..

his shot at the rotation is slim, but it's possible, since he'll be competing with Ime..

Ice009
02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
malik?

What do you mean by that reply? Do you disagree with what I said about him?

Hairston will definitely get a shot to prove himself a few more times after that last game..

his shot at the rotation is slim, but it's possible, since he'll be competing with Ime..

What do you think he needs to be able to show Pop he can do to stick on the team for the rest of the season? I say he needs to be able to show he can get to the rim and draw some fouls, rebound and play decent defense. I think he'll be OK on the rebounding, but if he can't get to the rack or do anything except shooter jumpers on offense he'll probably get sent back to the Toros. I think Pop would keep him if he shows a knack for getting to the rim and getting some fouls called.

Crookshanks
02-05-2009, 09:13 PM
What do you mean by that reply? Do you disagree with what I said about him?

I think he probably doesn't know that Malik is Hairston's first name. :lol