PDA

View Full Version : Kobe's 61 was better than Lebron last night

Thunder Dan
02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm a Cavs fan, but without even watching Kobe's 61 I can tell you that it was better than what Lebron did last night. All Lebron did last night was hog the ball and shoot stupid shots. He kept the Knicks in the game because he was trying to put on a show. If they played Cavs basketball they would have beat the Knicks by 25- but they played Lebron ball where he holds onto the ball outside the 3 point line for 23 seconds, then tosses up a fade away. Lebron could have easily scored 70 points last night because he could have taken David Lee every single time down the court and had a layup- but he was trying to make headlines to overshadow Kobe and layups don't make highlights

On a side note- how bad are the Knicks? What team lets a guy come in and get 52 a couple nights after a guy hits for 61? DAntoni is a shit coach and the Suns are better off without him. You can't win anything playing that phantom defense like the Knicks play now. They might have a couple good regular seasons, but they will never in in May

endrity
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I like LeBron too, but last night he clearely overdid it. He fell for the media pressure and tried to beat what Kobe did the night before. I can see how hard he wants to be better than Kobe, and be recognized for it, but that's the sort of thing that comes when you play the game like you are supposed to, not just hogging the ball. If not, you are nothing more than a stronger version of Arenas.

turiaf for president
02-05-2009, 09:42 AM
more incentive to watch sunday. hope its a good game with both players showing what they are capable of

pauls931
02-05-2009, 09:44 AM
What, no pity for the Knicks who are the washington generals for LA and the Cavs? This is like watching two bullies pick a fight with a whimpy kid to see who can beat him up the worst. This round, I'd give to LA.

BlackSwordsMan
02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Who cares about lebron? Knicks are shit

scanry
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I think both tried to put on a show, but Lebron's was more like a desperation move. Even Kobe could've left the game at the 4:00 mark when they were up by over 15.

Again this is where the coaches fail. Phil Jackson & Mike Brown have no idea how to coach & critique a superstar. Riley, Popovich & Sloan are the three best coaches in my opinion to coach the right way. They don't care about stats and most certainly don't care about the hype like smug Jackson.

Cry Havoc
02-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm a Cavs fan, but without even watching Kobe's 61 I can tell you that it was better than what Lebron did last night. All Lebron did last night was hog the ball and shoot stupid shots. He kept the Knicks in the game because he was trying to put on a show. If they played Cavs basketball they would have beat the Knicks by 25- but they played Lebron ball where he holds onto the ball outside the 3 point line for 23 seconds, then tosses up a fade away. Lebron could have easily scored 70 points last night because he could have taken David Lee every single time down the court and had a layup- but he was trying to make headlines to overshadow Kobe and layups don't make highlights.

11 assists.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I think Lebron played 44 minutes, which is about 10 more minutes than Kobe played.

Look at it this way, Kobe scored 61 and led the Lakers to a blowout win against the Knicks.

Lebron scored 50 and the Cavs barely squeaked one out at the last minute.

Thunder Dan
02-05-2009, 10:52 AM
11 assists.

he should have had 20- they were playing one of the worst defenses in the league, but you wouldn't have known last night because Lebron held onto the ball all game

mogrovejo
02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
So, Kobe was better because LeBron played like Kobe?

IronMexican
02-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Eh, who cares. Both teams won.

DAF86
02-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I think Lebron played 44 minutes, which is about 10 more minutes than Kobe played.

Look at it this way, Kobe scored 61 and led the Lakers to a blowout win against the Knicks.

Let's look it at this way now, Kobe had 3 assts and a big fat 0 on rebounds, Lebron had 11 and 10 respectevely plus two blocks and won the game for his team down the stretch.

They both had great performances, for some Kobe's was better for others Lebron's was.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Let's look it at this way now, Kobe had 3 assts and a big fat 0 on rebounds, Lebron had 11 and 10 respectevely plus two blocks and won the game for his team down the stretch.

They both had great performances, for some Kobe's was better for others Lebron's was.

First of all Kobe is a guard and the fact that he had 0 rebounds isn't particularly meaningful IMHO.

The assist thing I can sort of agree with, but both the Lakers and Cavs play completely different offensive styles. The triangle is an equal opportunity system where everyone passes and makes plays, there is no true traditional PG. Kobe has actually led the Lakers in assists for the past few years for what it's worth.

Lebron basically is the PG of the Cavs and has the ball in his hands on nearly every position. He runs the show, sets up his teammates, etc. He's the CP3 of the Cavs, without him they simply can't score. By nature he's going to get more assists because he has to do more than Kobe does on offense to set things up for his teammates.

DAF86
02-05-2009, 11:03 AM
You can also say that Lebron did that on a competitive game while Kobe did it on a blowout.

But others will say that Kobe turned that game into blowout while Lebron's ballhogging kept the other one close.

What I'm trying to say is STFU, nobody will win this argument.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
You can also say that Lebron did that on a competitive game while Kobe did it on a blowout.

But others will say that Kobe turned that game into blowout while Lebron's ballhogging kept the other one close.

What I'm trying to say is STFU, nobody will win this argument.

Kobe did turn the game into a blowout though, that's the point. He simply demoralized the Knicks and many of them admitted that they had to stop themselves from ball watching as he dazzled the crowd.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Anyone wanna here what loser Chris Sheridan has to say?

Comparing Kobe's 61 Points At MSG To LeBron's 52
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com
(Archive)

NEW YORK -- First of all, let's get one thing straight:

The notion that LeBron James did NOT want to score 62 points, that he did NOT want to break Kobe Bryant's 48-hour opponent scoring record at the new Madison Square Garden, is utterly, patently, absurdly false.

He didn't get it, but he came pretty darn close, and he wanted it from the get-go. You could see it in the way he started going off early in the first quarter, you could sense it beforehand during a casual conversation in which James made mention of Kobe's zero rebounds and three assists two nights earlier, and you could feel it in your bones if you had spent enough time around the two of them this past summer and witnessed their competition for the alpha dog role on Team USA.

LeBron only lost his composure once in his postgame interview Wednesday night following Cleveland's 107-102 victory over New York, taking exception to a question that insinuated he had acted like a loner at one point early in the game, walking to the bench with his head hung.

"Not true. No. By myself?" James asked incredulously. "I'm too outgoing to be by myself. I don't like being by myself."

I'd be the first to admit that maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it was the one time all night when LeBron showed a little incredulousness, and to me, it was because of the underlying insinuation that James was some kind of a loner -- a term folks around the NBA often use in describing one of Bryant's peculiarities.

The two became what James called "good friends" during their time on Team USA, when James led through his words and actions at practice and on the team bus and Bryant led through his work ethic, with James at one point boldly (and, it should be noted, unprompted) declaring himself the leader of the team.

So they remain rivals in many ways, not the least of which is their ongoing battle to be the most popular player in the world. People close to James say it bothered him that Bryant was the one getting the lion's share of the rock star treatment in China during the Olympics, and it had to come as a surprise to James that the Madison Square Garden crowd did not rally behind him in anything even remotely resembling the fashion with which they showered Bryant with affection two nights earlier, the crowd becoming so vocally pro-Laker at certain points that Reggie Miller couldn't resist the urge to text Spike Lee during the game to bust his chops about it.

On this night, the crowd gasped here and there for LeBron as he accumulated his points, but the house was 99 percent behind the home team, and truth be told, LeBron did not put on the kind of mesmerizing offensive performance as Bryant did. Still, LeBron's 52-point, 11-assist, 10-rebound outburst Wednesday was more of an all-around killer line than what Kobe had along with his 61 points, and James deftly ducked all Kobe comparisons after he had joined Michael Jordan as the only visiting player to reach 50 twice at the new Garden and became the first NBA player since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 1975 to have a 50-point triple-double.

When James spoke most eloquently, it was in talking about the building he was playing in -- and how special he feels every time he enters the arena on 33rd and Eighth Avenue that sits smack dab on top of Penn Station.

"I can't say that this is the same as any other road game, because it's not. This is the mecca of basketball. A lot of things have happened in this building, great history, the fans have seen a lot. Like Kobe said, this is the last building that's still alive," James said. "It's just a different feeling coming into this building, it feels like you're on stage playing the game of basketball more than playing on the court, because of the fans and the way the lighting is in here."

If James had not drifted off to his left on several of his five missed 3-point attempts, and if he had not missed three of his 19 free throws, if he had attacked the basket with just a little more regularity, that 61-point record of Bryant's may very well have fallen.

But it was clearly out of reach as this game entered the final minute, and James glanced over at three of his friends sitting courtside and shook his head with a hint of disgust as the teams came out of a final timeout with 11.3 seconds remaining and James still sitting one rebound shy of a triple-double.

He wanted that last rebound badly, and his eyes absolutely lit up when Chris Duhon's late jumper glanced off the rim. James went after it hard, tumbling into a courtside cameraman after he grabbed it with 1.9 seconds left and saved it inbounds, and the entire Cavaliers team mobbed him afterward for giving that last extra dose of effort that locked up the triple-double. "It's just the type of player and person he is. I have no answer for it. I don't know why he's able to do some of the things he does," Cavs coach Mike Brown said.

Bryant won't be back in this building until next season, and the same goes for James unless the Knicks and Cavs meet in the playoffs.

Kobe and LeBron will see each other in person on Sunday when Los Angeles finishes its current five-game road trip in Cleveland, and the two will have a chance that afternoon to measure themselves against each other not by what they did earlier in the week in New York, but by the outcome of their matchup at the Q.

Both teams, along with the Celtics, have been stubbornly refusing to become the first of that trio to reach double figures in losses, and the question of who is the better player and who has the better team cannot even begin to be answered until we have Sunday's result and this season's playoffs to look back upon.

But know this: it has to bother LeBron that Kobe is clearly more of a fan favorite at Madison Square Garden than he is right now, and I'd put money down now that when James makes his next visit to the building, he's going to have Kobe's 61 in his sights again -- whether he's ready to admit it by then or not.

For now, we're left to debate which was more impressive -- Kobe's 61 or LeBron's 52-point triple-double -- as we await their 2009-10 trips into town, and then start the countdown to July 1, 2010, when Knicks fans are hoping and praying that an opponent scoring record is something James will never have to worry about again -- unless he's trying to stop someone from breaking it.

For that to happen, James will have to be a member of the Knicks.

And if you don't think that is a realistic possibility, you also probably believe that Kobe's 61 meant nothing to James. Believe me, it did. And believe me, he had his sights set on 62 just as strongly as he had his eyed glued to the basketball when it came off the rim and gave him his triple-double. He'll want the 62 next year, too, and my advice to anyone willing to bet a dollar on an over-under of 61 1/2 in next year's two Cavs-Knicks games? Take the over, and then make room in your wallet for a rectangular piece of paper with George Washington's portrait on it. He'll get the 62, and then we can start looking ahead to 2010-11, when the big question might be whether he'll eclipse Bernard King's record for most points by a Knick. For that, he'll only need 61.

IronMexican
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
ROfl. I know TD meant good making this thread, but it just turns into another Kobe vs LeBron thread.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
ROfl. I know TD meant good making this thread, but it just turns into another Kobe vs LeBron thread.

I admit this time I added fuel to the fire, but it's really too easy to get these Kobe vs. Lebron things started. All you gotta do is light the match, then watch this motherfucker burn!

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Neither one was as impressive as MJ's 55 back when the Knicks played D.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 11:13 AM

And the circle is complete.

How could we forget to drag MJ's name into this Kobe vs. Lebron discussion?

IronMexican
02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
These threads get tiring. I don't know how we go through this like twice a week. Eventually the Kobe haters will come in and mention Jordan and bam! add another 10 pages to this thread.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
These threads get tiring. I don't know how we go through this like twice a week. Eventually the Kobe haters will come in and mention Jordan and bam! add another 10 pages to this thread.

I don't hate Kobe anymore.....if I had an MVP vote he would def. get it over LeBron. I figured MJ had already been mentioned (I didn't read any other posts) so sorry for that, but eventually it would have gotten brought up.

If Kobe wasn't constantly brought up multiple times a day, I wouldn't say anything negative about him.

DAF86
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM

No Kobe Lebron thread will be complete without MJ, good call.

IronMexican
02-05-2009, 11:25 AM
Here goes the next part to this thread. "MJ didn't have to play the competition Kobe did. Clyde Drexler? lol. He was past his prime" and then someone will say " Tracy McGrady and Paul Pierce are better than anybody from that era"

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
No Kobe Lebron thread will be complete without MJ, good call.

Here's my solution to that problem: make an official Kobe vs. LeBron thread. Once it gets clogged up with enough garbage, people will get tired of it.

endrity
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
DrHouse and other laker fans who keep mentioning the fact that LeBron played 10 minutes more, don't forget pace. It's the one variable which gave Nash two MVPs. Kobe had about 13 more possiesons to work with than LeBron did, so it's not as clear cut to say that Kobe was more productive.

Nonetheless two impressive performances, with LeBron clearely falling for the media hype and trying to outdo what Kobe did two days ago.

JoeTait75
02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm a Cavs fan, but without even watching Kobe's 61 I can tell you that it was better than what Lebron did last night. All Lebron did last night was hog the ball and shoot stupid shots. He kept the Knicks in the game because he was trying to put on a show. If they played Cavs basketball they would have beat the Knicks by 25- but they played Lebron ball where he holds onto the ball outside the 3 point line for 23 seconds, then tosses up a fade away. Lebron could have easily scored 70 points last night because he could have taken David Lee every single time down the court and had a layup- but he was trying to make headlines to overshadow Kobe and layups don't make highlights.

Yep, LeBron pounded the ball too much last night, grinding the Cavaliers offense to a halt and reducing Mo Williams to a one-dimensional jump shooter, not the best way to utilize his talents. I was surprised MB put him back in the game so quickly early in the fourth. I was hoping he'd sit longer so other guys could get more involved and the offense could un-stagnate without him, like what happened in the fourth quarter @ Detroit.

And waaaaaay too many jump shots, especially when he had David Lee on him. Too much improvised offense at the end of the shot clock, which is what happens when LeBron pounds the ball.

Plus the offensive fireworks took away from LeBron's defense. He should have been the one covering Harrington, not Wally or Andy, and he did for short stretches (was very effective when doing so) but mostly he was kept off Harrington to save energy for the offensive end. Without Sasha, we had no one besides LeBron with even a prayer of checking Harrington, and he just went off.

I know the line is what it is, and I can't make comparison's to Kobe's 61 since I didn't watch that game. All I know is that impressive as LeBron was last night, I've seen better, more complete games out of him this season, games in which he scored less and did more of everything else. Like a great big man or a great point guard, LeBron is capable of dominating a game on nights where he isn't scoring much. Those games when he only takes 10-15 shots but distributes beautifully and plays great defense are my favorite performances from LBJ.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Yeah Kobe's was probably more impressive. He did it simply because that's what he needed to do to get the W. It looked like LeBron was forcing the issue too much.

Brazil
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm a Cavs fan, but without even watching Kobe's 61 I can tell you that it was better than what Lebron did last night. All Lebron did last night was hog the ball and shoot stupid shots. He kept the Knicks in the game because he was trying to put on a show. If they played Cavs basketball they would have beat the Knicks by 25- but they played Lebron ball where he holds onto the ball outside the 3 point line for 23 seconds, then tosses up a fade away. Lebron could have easily scored 70 points last night because he could have taken David Lee every single time down the court and had a layup- but he was trying to make headlines to overshadow Kobe and layups don't make highlights

I fully agree with you ! I like LBJ a lot (and I think LBJ>Kobe) but against the Knicks I didn't like his performance, he made some really really stupid shots especially some 3s. It's painful to watch a superstar throwing ugly air balls.

JoeTait75
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm more down with LeBron's line from December 5 vs. the Pacers: 12 shots, 11 points, 11 assists, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, while holding Danny Granger to 4 points on 2-of-7 shooting in a game the Cavaliers won by 24 points. Didn't shoot well (4-of-12) but didn't shoot much, got everyone else involved (six players in double figures) and played a beautiful floor game.

SenorSpur
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm sick of both these guys. It's clear they both are playing a competitive game of "one-upsmanship" even though they're playing different opponents.

Don't get me wrong, both feats are incredible accomplishments and only the great ones can achieve such a level. However, if these stats came in the absolute, unquestioned pursuit of winning, that's fine. However, these guys are simply and selfishly trying to send messages to one another and put on a show for the Garden faithful, at the expense of their teammates. They're purusing their own statistical agendas.

That, my friends, is selfish basketball. I hope neither one makes it to the NBA Finals.

Rapper
02-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Kobe's 61 is definitely better

TheNextGen
02-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Kobe's 61 is definitely better

Kobe's footwork is amazing...those moves just to get a jumper off is crazy.

RedsLakers24
02-05-2009, 12:52 PM
The cavs are better when lebron lets his teamates make plays, lebron was trying to set up his teamates, when theres ball movement by the cavs not just lebron the Cavs are really good

pauls931
02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
The cavs are better when lebron lets his teamates make plays, lebron was trying to set up his teamates, when theres ball movement by the cavs not just lebron the Cavs are really good

That's how the Lakers and Cavs beat themselves, when their star tries to take over the game letting the defense shut down their role players. That's how the suns beat the lakers in the playoffs a couple years back. Kobe would sense they're in trouble, then try to take over, but so much so that the rest of the team would be underutilized. I see the same problem with the Cavs potentially if this becomes a habit for Lebron.

DPG21920
02-05-2009, 01:00 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AsYqS1H.yYiV3blMvktnp2S8vLYF?slug=aw-lebrongarden020509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

NEW YORK – As the clock was bleeding to 0:00, the final Knicks’ shot bounced off the rim, into the air and sped swiftly toward the row of photographers on the baseline. The ball hung for a moment, just waiting on the hands of history. Out of nowhere, LeBron James – dehydrated and cramped, legs losing hops – made one final leap at Madison Square Garden and snatched his triple-double out of the sky. He crashed into the photographers, banged his head on a lense and clutched the ball, laughing and laughing and laughing.

“I never thought you could look at the box score and see somebody with 50 points and a triple-double,” James marveled. “But it’s happened.”

It hadn’t happened since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did it 34 years ago, but in those final, frantic seconds, James had 52 points, 11 assists and needed that 10th rebound to push past the boundaries, even within a beautiful basketball mind that sees the limitlessness of possibility. James would’ve chased that rebound into the Hudson River to make sure he upstaged Kobe Bryant at the Garden and delivered a genius performance that was a little Michael and Magic, a little Big O and Kareem.

“You saw every phase of my game tonight, the scoring, the rebounding, the assists,” James said.

Mostly, LeBron reached up to the Garden marquee on 7th Avenue, and ripped down Kobe’s name. James and Bryant are locked in a ferocious back-and-forth to be the best player on the planet. They’re chasing everything now – MVPs and championships, endorsements and popularity. As much as ever, they’re chasing the sport’s standing as the game’s truest heir to Michael Jordan.

So, James watched on television as Bryant obliterated the Garden scoring record with 61 points and everyone knew – just knew – James was hellbent on raising the ante. And he did. James beat Bryant. LeBron’s night was bigger, better and bolder. James lives for the dramatic. He’s the showman of his generation. “The sad thing is that I’m sure LeBron said that it’s no big deal to get 61 points,” Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni said. “I’ll just get a triple-double. [Kobe] didn’t do that.”

As much as the Garden is still the Mecca of basketball, the Knicks still play the part of crash-test dummies for the NBA’s royalty. Not even Isiah Thomas has the indignity of surrendering back-to-back 50-point games on his tombstone, but these defenseless Knicks do now. The Boston Celtics’ Paul Pierce is on deck Friday.

Only Michael Jordan and James have ever come into the Garden twice and dropped 50 points.

“It’s an honor that you’re in the same breath as Kareem and Mike,” James said. “Two of the baddest guys that ever did this game, that ever played this game, that ever walked on the face of the Earth and carried a basketball.”

Someday, James could surpass Jordan in every way, but he’s still six titles behind him, still three behind Bryant. For James, he’s closed the gap on Kobe – maybe erased it – and this was a night when it was so easy to see the differences in disposition of these two stars. When Bryant scored his 61 on Monday, he was stone-faced sober. No joking, no laughs. That’s how he lives, too.

All night, LeBron was gabbing and laughing and smiling. He fist-pumped with Spike Lee. He walked out of the final timeout playing air guitar to the music on the public-address system.

“I think Kobe is much more focused than LeBron, much quieter,” said an NBA executive who knows both well. “He doesn’t party. He doesn’t hang out. It isn’t that LeBron doesn’t approach the game in a high-end, professional way, but he’s much more carefree and fun, much more of a showman. Off the court, he’s joking and laughing. I think that, in part, each one wants to be a little like the other.

“LeBron has the ability to be a guy’s guy, the life of the party. Kobe just doesn’t have that.”

When they were together at the Olympics in Beijing over the summer, the two politely tugging to make Team USA his own, those differences played out to teammates and coaches. When LeBron was planning team breakfasts, Kobe would be lifting alone in the weight room. With his 61 points, Kobe had just three assists and no rebounds on Monday night. He almost looked like he was all alone out there. Nevertheless, there are lessons of seriousness of task that James has taken from Bryant, lessons over two consecutive summers at his side. Nevertheless, LeBron never needed Kobe to teach him the importance of New York and Madison Square Garden.

Kobe has never flirted about coming to play here, as LeBron has about 2010, but both understand: Respect must be paid.

“I can’t say that this is the same as any other road game,” James said. “It’s not, because it’s the Mecca of basketball. Like Kobe said, this is the last building that’s still alive. And it’s just a different feeling when you come in this building.”

Maybe it had never been as different as this week, when James touched down in Manhattan on Tuesday with the city still buzzing over Bryant’s 61 points. The Super Bowl had ended, and Bryant had turned America’s consciousness toward him within the first 24 hours of most of America awakening to the NBA season. LeBron refused to let it last on Wednesday, and David Stern’s wildest dreams had played out within 48 magnificent hours at the Garden. If the Knicks can’t make New York matter again, Kobe and LeBron had come to town to validate the greatness of the Garden all over again.

Yes, James and Bryant chase everything together now – maybe mostly immortality – and it turns out these past two days have been a prelude to LeBron and Kobe meeting over the weekend in Cleveland. “It’ll be a good show on Sunday in Cleveland,” James said late Wednesday.

LeBron James had reached high in Madison Square Garden, and snatched that final rebound, snatched Kobe Bryant’s name off the marquee lights, and finally, legs aching, disappeared into a New York night.

RedsLakers24
02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Yea lebron has a good team Mo Williams, Daniel Gibson and Big Z aren't scrubs, he should let them get in the flow of the game, when Lebron has the ball in his hands almost the whole time its hard for his teamates to get into the flow of the game

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 01:07 PM
“I never thought you could look at the box score and see somebody with 50 points and a triple-double,” James marveled. “But it’s happened.”

“You saw every phase of my game tonight, the scoring, the rebounding, the assists,” James said.

I think if Kobe ever said those things the rabid haters on this site would be on him like white on rice. And yet when the self-proclaimed King James, who had the audacity to declare himself leader of team USA, says them it's somehow OK? I love the hypocrisy.

DPG21920
02-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Great article though.

lefty
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Lebron had 52 points, along with a Triple Double.

Thread

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Great article though.

So then you agree you are a hypocrite for chastising Kobe for being arrogant when James is FAR worse with no rings to show for?

Cry Havoc
02-05-2009, 01:24 PM
I think if Kobe ever said those things the rabid haters on this site would be on him like white on rice. And yet when the self-proclaimed King James, who had the audacity to declare himself leader of team USA, says them it's somehow OK? I love the hypocrisy.

There's no hypocrisy here. LeBron James has never alienated his teammates. He's never run a fellow hall of famer out of town because he couldn't stand to share the limelight. He's never had massive controversy of his off-court life that called his ability to lead a team or even participate in society as a law-abiding person into question. LeBron has been, for the entire course of his short NBA career, the consummate teammate. He has led his team from the dregs of the NBA, to the Finals, and now to a truly elite position in the league. Now that Jameer Nelson is out, we're looking at an almost lock for the ECF with the Cavs and Celtics, barring any injuries.

Kobe Bryant gets constantly bashed because it took him a decade in the league just to figure out how to live with the fact that he needs to involve other teammates in the game to win consistently. And even then, we see statlines like 61 points with 3 assists. Can you Lakers fans comfortably say that you hope he puts up points like that every night? Will that get the Lakers to the Finals?

Kobe still gets oodles of love from analysts and highlight shows. It's not like you're going to flip on Rome is Burning and see a bunch of anti-Kobe sentiment. But when you spend an off-season criticizing your 19 year old center and telling your friends that management needs to ship him out, you set yourself up for this hate. It is just not in Kobe's character to innately trust his teammates. Meanwhile LeBron has never had an issue getting the final assist rather than the final field goal, as long as it means a win.

LeBron is 24, Kobe is 30. If there is one of them that should have long since ceased the chase of personal glory and accolades, it should be Kobe. Most of the NBA is willing to give a pass to LeBron because even though he's young and he's going to chase the spotlight like last night, he's already become more of a team player than Kobe ever has been. He has an ego, but I seriously doubt you'll ever hear LeBron talk such pointless garbage about another player on his team like we've heard from Kobe for so many years.

lefty
02-05-2009, 01:26 PM
There's no hypocrisy here. LeBron James has never alienated his teammates. He's never run a fellow hall of famer out of town because he couldn't stand to share the limelight. He's never had massive controversy of his off-court life that called his ability to lead a team or even participate in society as a law-abiding person into question. LeBron has been, for the entire course of his short NBA career, the consummate teammate. He has led his team from the dregs of the NBA, to the Finals, and now to a truly elite position in the league. Now that Jameer Nelson is out, we're looking at an almost lock for the ECF with the Cavs and Celtics, barring any injuries.

Kobe Bryant gets constantly bashed because it took him a decade in the league just to figure out how to live with the fact that he needs to involve other teammates in the game to win consistently. And even then, we see statlines like 61 points with 3 assists. Can you Lakers fans comfortably say that you hope he puts up points like that every night? Will that get the Lakers to the Finals?

Kobe still gets oodles of love from analysts and highlight shows. It's not like you're going to flip on Rome is Burning and see a bunch of anti-Kobe sentiment. But when you spend an off-season criticizing your 19 year old center and telling your friends that management needs to ship him out, you set yourself up for this hate. It is just not in Kobe's character to innately trust his teammates. Meanwhile LeBron has never had an issue getting the final assist rather than the final field goal, as long as it means a win.

LeBron is 24, Kobe is 30. If there is one of them that should have long since ceased the chase of personal glory and accolades, it should be Kobe. Most of the NBA is willing to give a pass to LeBron because even though he's young and he's going to chase the spotlight like last night, he's already become more of a team player than Kobe ever has been.

I agree on everything here

Great post :tu

DPG21920
02-05-2009, 01:34 PM
So then you agree you are a hypocrite for chastising Kobe for being arrogant when James is FAR worse with no rings to show for?

Please show me where I chastise Kobe, link? How long has James been in the league? Has he had Shaq?

Showtime24 LAKERS
02-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Kobe > LeBron period.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Except Kobe won 3 rings with Shaq during those years when you said he couldn't be a good teammate. Kind of nullifies everything you're trying to say.

If he was a ball hog who didn't want to pass the ball the Lakers wouldn't have won 3 rings period. The bottom line is he knew that the offense needed to run through Shaq and he fed the Big Dog. You're trying to justify your hate by blowing things out of proportion but the bottom line is you just hate the guy because he's torched the Spurs so many times and dashed their championship hopes.

Cry Havoc
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Except Kobe won 3 rings with Shaq during those years when you said he couldn't be a good teammate. Kind of nullifies everything you're trying to say.

If he was a ball hog who didn't want to pass the ball the Lakers wouldn't have won 3 rings period. The bottom line is he knew that the offense needed to run through Shaq and he fed the Big Dog. You're trying to justify your hate by blowing things out of proportion but the bottom line is you just hate the guy because he's torched the Spurs so many times and dashed their championship hopes.

:lmao

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
There is an argument to be made that Kobe did not know how to lead after Shaq left, I'm not disputing that. But no leadership would have made those teams winners, half of those guys aren't even in the league anymore or are playing 3rd string minutes.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
:lmao

It's simple. You hate Kobe because he has stopped the Spurs from becoming NBA Champions 4 times this decade. Your justifications are just your BS way of hiding this fact.

lefty
02-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Lebron > Kobe period.

anonoftheinternets
02-05-2009, 04:34 PM

kobe has no class coz he played so long in a blowout win, lebron had to be there coz the game was close

that being said, from a bball standpoint kobes 61 was more impressive. Altho lebron did have a triple .... however his triple was gifted by ben wallace :rolleyes ...

i pick duncan ....

TheNextGen
02-05-2009, 04:39 PM

LeBron is 24, Kobe is 30. If there is one of them that should have long since ceased the chase of personal glory and accolades, it should be Kobe. Most of the NBA is willing to give a pass to LeBron because even though he's young and he's going to chase the spotlight like last night, he's already become more of a team player than Kobe ever has been. He has an ego, but I seriously doubt you'll ever hear LeBron talk such pointless garbage about another player on his team like we've heard from Kobe for so many years.

lots of rambling... typical Kobe hater stuff. Moving on.

anonoftheinternets
02-05-2009, 04:42 PM

no useful points to the discussion ...... typical kobe homer stuff

TheNextGen
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
no useful points to the discussion ...... typical kobe homer stuff

no useful points to the discussion ...... typical hater stuff

Allanon
02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
This duel is just starting to boil. All this is just leading up to the showdown on Sunday with the Cavs 24-0 home streak on the line.

Make no mistake of it, both Kobe and LeBron are going at it right now. We'll find out who the loser of the duel is on Sunday night.

And for the record, you'll never see Kobe and LeBron on the same team again.

TheNextGen
02-05-2009, 04:58 PM
This duel is just starting to boil. All this is just leading up to the showdown on Sunday with the Cavs 24-0 home streak on the line.

Make no mistake of it, both Kobe and LeBron are going at it right now. We'll find out who the loser of the duel is on Sunday night.

And for the record, you'll never see Kobe and LeBron on the same team again.

Probably not. Lebron is going out of his way to top Kobe and get some "notice". I think its pointless cuz Lebron is already a great player. Trying to top Kobe individually is suicide. He should stick to doing what is making him great..which is his team ball. Forcing up shots like he took last night is just gonna hurt him more than help his cause.

Allanon
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Probably not. Lebron is going out of his way to top Kobe and get some "notice". I think its pointless cuz Lebron is already a great player. Trying to top Kobe individually is suicide. He should stick to doing what is making him great..which is his team ball. Forcing up shots like he took last night is just gonna hurt him more than help his cause.

It's a mini-duel, only until Sunday's Lakers@Cavs game. After that, both players go back to status quo.

Kobe started it, LeBron responded now I think they're both into it.

Showtime24 LAKERS
02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKWvUGv4FOs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKWvUGv4FOs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Cry Havoc
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM

You mean like Kobe was hating on his 19 year old starting center for no reason at all? That kind of rambling, hater stuff?

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
You mean like Kobe was hating on his 19 year old starting center for no reason at all? That kind of rambling, hater stuff?

The hate is strong in this one.

It's OK, we understand. Kobe is a bad man.

Cry Havoc
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
The hate is strong in this one.

It's OK, we understand. Kobe is a bad man.

Please attempt to explain Kobe's actions of ridiculing a starter in his own team who's played less than one full NBA season and saying he should be shipped out. Explain how that translates into Kobe being a team player. Thanks.

Allanon
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Please attempt to explain Kobe's actions of ridiculing a starter in his own team who's played less than one full NBA season and saying he should be shipped out. Explain how that translates into Kobe being a team player. Thanks.

That is the Old Kobe. New Kobe is a great teammate. And I personally think that lit the fire that made Bynum better. Bynum does better against when he has haters. He's not good enough for the NBA, he won't come back from that knee injury, last year was a fluke, etc.

Crucify Kobe for his past if you wish, he was a dick.

But since the season started last year, on through the Olympics and this year, Kobe's been a model teammate and one of the best team leaders in the NBA.

DazedAndConfused
02-05-2009, 05:58 PM
That is the Old Kobe. New Kobe is a great teammate. And I personally think that lit the fire that made Bynum better. Bynum does better against when he has haters. He's not good enough for the NBA, he won't come back from that knee injury, last year was a fluke, etc.

But since the season started last year, on through the Olympics and this year, Kobe's been a model teammate and one of the best team leaders in the NBA.

People can change. Kobe has many flaws, but I do think he has matured quite a bit from when he entered the league.

Still it's somewhat pathetic that Spur fan thinks NBA players are moral.

RedsLakers24
02-05-2009, 06:02 PM

well it worked, it helped Bynum get better, when Bynum entered the league he was lazy and did nothing thats why phil didnt play him much, after he heard kobe he hit the weight room

Allanon
02-05-2009, 06:06 PM
People can change. Kobe has many flaws, but I do think he has matured quite a bit from when he entered the league.

It's unreal how much he has matured from when he entered the league, I never thought I'd see the day when he's a great teammate and a great team leader.

But here it is.

Cry Havoc
02-05-2009, 07:59 PM

I completely agree. Since the Bynum incident, Kobe has rapidly matured. He's a good teammate now any any team in the NBA would probably benefit from having his presence on the court.

What pisses me off is Laker fans coming to a Spurs board to talk shit about LeBron James and how he will never be this or that, or that he doesn't compare to Kobe, and citing how he doesn't have rings or an outside jumper. And now this hogwash about how wrong he is for competing with Kobe and how that's a stupid thing for James to do, how his statline was overinflated, etc. It would be like a Suns fan calling another team out for playing horrible defense.

This kind of thing is rife in every thread. There are precious few transcendent individuals in sports history who are as mature as LeBron is right now, at 24 years of age. For instance, Michael Jordan regularly attempted to one-up other people on the court. It's how he kept his fire burning. LeBron James just did something that no one has done since the MERGER. If he elevates his game to yet another level, how can that do anything but help the Cavs? Don't let that stand in the way of Lakers fans though, who will do anything they can to decry him in favor of their own messiah.

DrHouse
02-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I completely agree. Since the Bynum incident, Kobe has rapidly matured. He's a good teammate now any any team in the NBA would probably benefit from having his presence on the court.

What pisses me off is Laker fans coming to a Spurs board to talk shit about LeBron James and how he will never be this or that, or that he doesn't compare to Kobe, and citing how he doesn't have rings or an outside jumper. And now this hogwash about how wrong he is for competing with Kobe and how that's a stupid thing for James to do, how his statline was overinflated, etc. It would be like a Suns fan calling another team out for playing horrible defense.

This kind of thing is rife in every thread. There are precious few transcendent individuals in sports history who are as mature as LeBron is right now, at 24 years of age. For instance, Michael Jordan regularly attempted to one-up other people on the court. It's how he kept his fire burning. LeBron James just did something that no one has done since the MERGER. If he elevates his game to yet another level, how can that do anything but help the Cavs? Don't let that stand in the way of Lakers fans though, who will do anything they can to decry him in favor of their own messiah.

You and Kobe haters like yourself have been crucifying Kobe over the years for the exact same things James is doing right now.

If that hypocrisy didn't exist, these kind of threads would never exist.

TampaDude
02-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Spurs and Celtics

Lakers and Cavs

Gonna be a great Sunday!

:hat

peskypesky
02-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Does anyone really think that if you put Kobe on the Cavs and took away Lebron, that the Cavs would have a 39-9 record? Seriously? I don't see it.

TheMACHINE
02-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Does anyone really think that if you put Kobe on the Cavs and took away Lebron, that the Cavs would have a 39-9 record? Seriously? I don't see it.

of course you dont see it. Your peskypesky. ANythign to do with kobe is negative. errr

Cry Havoc
02-06-2009, 11:44 AM

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that LeBron on the Lakers would make them a better team, either. It might, but there is no guarantee there.

Medvedenko
02-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Kobe @ 24 years old averaged 30,6,7.........he's been hitting big #'s for a while now....

jack sommerset
02-06-2009, 05:35 PM
The league took way LeBrons triple double today. HAHAHA

Allanon
02-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Spurs and Celtics

Lakers and Cavs

Gonna be a great Sunday!

:hat

I approve of this post.

Venti Quattro
01-24-2014, 09:56 PM
:lol Melo with 62

DMC
01-24-2014, 09:57 PM
and I called it at halftime...

lefty
01-24-2014, 09:57 PM
:lol Kirby
:lol Lebron
:lol but Kirby

Venti Quattro
01-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Melo's and Kobe's scoring records at the MSG were both borne out of necessity. He just ran into Bynum's knees they day before in Memphis during the Lakers' 2009 Grammy Road Trip. Bynum would return later in the season and the Lakers would win the whole thing...

Well with Melo, they needed an uplifting performance because the Knicks are shit...

whitemamba
01-24-2014, 10:54 PM
Look at all these basketball related posts.. ST really has gone down tbh...

RsxPiimp
01-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Just goes to show you how amazing 81 points is in retrospect. Melo had the green light and by the end of 3rd quarter he was grasping for air :lol

AchillesHeel
01-25-2014, 12:25 AM
Just goes to show you how amazing 81 points is in retrospect. Melo had the green light and by the end of 3rd quarter he was grasping for air :lol

And after he hit 50 it was totally statpadding to get the record, team was up 20-30 points.

Clipper Nation
01-25-2014, 12:28 AM
That is the Old Kobe. New Kobe is a great teammate.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

RsxPiimp
01-25-2014, 01:33 AM
And after he hit 50 it was totally statpadding to get the record, team was up 20-30 points.

more like 70 pts. 2006 Lakers were known to give up huge leads. When he hit the 3, they were up by 15 I think with 4 mins to go. he could've sat there.

nice sig though, my type of girl.

Brazil
01-25-2014, 11:52 AM
Rip allanon :depressed

jimbo
01-25-2014, 02:48 PM

Damn. Bynum has plenty of haters now. He's gonna be a monster when he comes back tbh.

Killakobe81
01-25-2014, 07:15 PM
I liked allanon ...

sook
01-25-2014, 07:57 PM
last fool I remember getting 62. Better player than Melo, tbh.

http://youtu.be/DZQTvdjV1TE

Rogue
01-25-2014, 09:38 PM
I believe Allanon has always been with us around this place, under an alias. Ain't there any douchebag Laker fan coming out of nowhere around the same time Allanon left? Is Lkrfan a legit suspect?

Venti Quattro
01-25-2014, 09:39 PM
I believe Allanon has always been with us around this place, under an alias. Ain't there any douchebag Laker fan coming out of nowhere around the same time Allanon left? Is Lkrfan a legit suspect?

I wonder what happened to 21_Blessings too

LkrFan
01-26-2014, 11:58 AM
:lol