PDA

View Full Version : Any accurate shot charts?

boutons
03-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Somebody pointed out the ESPN NBA game shot charts. Wonderful, a graphic record to add a new perspective to the nba.com numerical stats. Made/missed shot shot positions per-team, per-player, per-game, per-quarter. Fantastic.

However, I find that at least for the Pistons@Suns game, espn shot charts are wildly inaccurate.

NBA.com shows Amare shot 13-26 FG.

But espn.com shot chart for Amare, entire game, shows only 7 "made" and 6 "missed".

NBA.com shows Rasheed shot 10-17 FGs.

But espn.com shot chart for Rasheed, entire game, shows only 5 "made" and 6 "missed".

The inaccuracy above makes the espn shot charts totally useless.

Does any other site publish accurate shot charts?

Useruser666
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
If you carefully move your mouse pointer over some of the shot symbols you can see there is sometimes more than one shot on top of another.

boutons
03-04-2005, 09:11 AM
"one shot on top of another"

of course I've done that. still doesn't come close to matching nba.com

SlovenianGuy
03-04-2005, 12:27 PM
ESPN only shows the last shot from the same place. If you look the shot chart for each quarter separately you'll get more accurate number, but still not all the shots.

boutons
03-04-2005, 12:44 PM
"If you look the shot chart for each quarter separately you'll get more accurate number, but still not all the shots."

I tried per-qtr and per-player, still didn't get Amare anywhere near to 13 shots.
Totally useless.

It's not an easy thing to put together, so I wonder why they bother whne the results be so useless.

FromWayDowntown
03-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Well, it's not as if its altogether unhelpful.

I seem to recall that nba.com has shot charts as part of its in-game stuff, but the chart would only be available for a short period after the game ends, and I've never tested to see if it's an accurate reflection of shots taken.

82games.com has some analysis of shooters by distance and a number of other breakdowns on a per-player basis, if that's what you're looking for. Just go to any team and click on a player to get a fairly comprehensive statistical profile.