PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Impact Players May Be Available

duncan228
02-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Impact players may be available (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Impact_players_may_be_available.html)
Mike Monroe

The NBA's trade deadline arrives in exactly two weeks. Is it any wonder a new trade rumor pops up daily?

The vast majority of trades that hit the rumor mill never are consummated, for lots of reasons, and often for the best. The Spurs and Hornets once had a deal in place that would have sent Brent Barry to New Orleans for J.R. Smith, with some salary cap assistance from the Hawks. A bizarre chain of events in Atlanta delayed the deal past the NBA's deadline, and it wasn't approved by the league. Later that season Barry helped the Spurs win the 2007 title.

The Spurs have made their share of trades near, or at, the deadline. It would not be a shock if they were to make another one this season, too, most likely for a big man, but long-term salary cap considerations are paramount.

Express-News NBA beat writer Mike Monroe takes a look at some players who could be changing uniforms in the next two weeks:

Shawn Marion, Heat

Suitor: Kings

Lowdown: The Heat seem to have come to the same conclusion as the Suns: That Marion, though talented and hard-working, actually believes he is worth a salary bloated after he put up huge numbers in Mike D’Antoni’s speed system. He isn’t, but no team in the league is more bent on change than the Kings. According to the Sacramento Bee, every player on their roster is available for the right deal. They seem willing to send Brad Miller for Marion, but only if Miami will also take Kenny Thomas. The Heat want the Kings to take Marcus Banks, as well as Marion.

Bottom line: There are too many what-ifs, and too many other teams interested in some of these players, for this one to happen.

Amare Stoudemire, Suns

Suitors: Most NBA teams

Lowdown: Stoudemire’s erratic output and inattention to defensive detail has teammates, coaches and management questioning his commitment. He will be a free agent this summer and there is not a shred of doubt he will want a maximum contract. That is incentive enough for Suns GM Steve Kerr to try to make a true blockbuster deal. A bigger incentive: The Suns are on a slide that threatens to keep them out of the playoffs, having lost eight of the last 12.

Bottom line: Trading a perennial All-Star such as Stoudemire isn’t easy, but if Shaquille O’Neal and Jason Kidd can be dealt, there is no reason a Stoudemire deal can’t take shape, too.

John Salmons, Kings

Suitor: Thunder

Lowdown: According to the Oklahoman, the Thunder may be willing to let swing man Desmond Mason leave when he becomes a free agent this summer. Salmons is having a career season with the Kings, in part because of Kevin Martin’s injury problems. He would fit well with the talented young lineup Thunder GM Sam Presti is building in Oklahoma City.

Bottom line: The Kings won’t give away Salmons, but Presti has stockpiled enough draft picks to sweeten an offer that would include Joe Smith and his expiring contract.

Earl Watson, Thunder

Suitors: Hornets

Lowdown: The Thunder, committed to rookie Russell Westbrook as their point guard for years to come, would like to move a talented shoot-first veteran who wants as many minutes as possible.

Bottom line: This is the kind of “deal that helps both teams” that makes too much sense not to happen.

GSH
02-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Stories from this morning are talking about Marion to New Orleans in exchange for Tyson Chandler, and whatever it takes to balance the deal. Salmons may go to Portland.

And Rasheed Wallace really wants to come to the Spurs? We don't have anything to trade for him, but he's a FA after this season.

TwelveGs210
02-06-2009, 10:52 AM
man it would be nice for a repeat of the screwjob last year with gasol and kwame brown cuz of the relationship of the 2 front offices..trading manu mahimni and maybe bonner along with rights to splitter or a 1st round pick wouldnt be all that bad for phx..manu is still a damn good player and i would hate to have to watch his highlights while he's wearing a suns jersey, but i think mason, while no ginobili, could hold his share with more minutes and stoudemire AND duncan opening up things on the perimeter for him..

SenorSpur
02-06-2009, 10:56 AM
man it would be nice for a repeat of the screwjob last year with gasol and kwame brown cuz of the relationship of the 2 front offices..trading manu mahimni and maybe bonner along with rights to splitter or a 1st round pick wouldnt be all that bad for phx..manu is still a damn good player and i would hate to have to watch his highlights while he's wearing a suns jersey, but i think mason, while no ginobili, could hold his share with more minutes and stoudemire AND duncan opening up things on the perimeter for him..

Pistons' GM, Joe Dumars, is much too astute to do anything as foolish for the Spurs, as what Grizzlies GM, Chris Wallace, did for the Fakers last year.

arodz
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Amare should never and WILL NEVER be a Spur. Pop wants defense and Stoudemire can't even spell it. He's too dumb on D for play for the Spurs. And to trade Manu for him?? Even dumber.

EricB
02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Why the hell would the Hornets want THREE point guards. Two of them 100% opposits of Chris Paul as well. I don't see the Hornets being interested in Watson.

Salmons to the Thunder would be a fantastic move by Presti. It would give them great depth, and give them a solid all around guy to come in and give Durant or Green a break. If Presti pulls that off, then I think the Thunder will be better next year than some people think.

TwelveGs210
02-06-2009, 11:21 AM
ok, amare has no d, but you have to remember he is replacing matt bonner at the center position.. bonner not only sucks on d, he has no athleticism and i have seen alot more blocks from amare when they play the spurs than i think ive ever seen bonner have against anyone..not to mention pop is a damn pschology major and he has a way with players and getting them to conform to his defensive style..

pawe
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM

For the last time, Manu will not be traded. He's a special player and besides, the talent and heart that he has is already worth Amare's contract..it's always gonna be a lopsided trade against the Spurs whenever Manu is involved.

InK
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Stories from this morning are talking about Marion to New Orleans in exchange for Tyson Chandler...

That would be great.....for the Spurs

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
I'd consider Amare..while I absolutely hate him, he's still a great player..he doesn't play any D, but he'd be learning under Pop and Tim..he hasn't had a coach to teach him anything like that in his entire career..

too bad it would never happen though..

ploto
02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Why on earth would NO trade Chandler for Marion? Miami would want this deal- but not NO.

Fans are crazy if they do not think that Tim at Center and Amare at PF would be great! It is not going to happen, but it would be great.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
That would be great.....for the Spurs

Amen to that. Swap those two pieces last year and Spurs in seven becomes Spurs in five.

Dr. Gonzo
02-06-2009, 01:12 PM
ok, amare has no d, but you have to remember he is replacing matt bonner at the center position.. bonner not only sucks on d, he has no athleticism and i have seen alot more blocks from amare when they play the spurs than i think ive ever seen bonner have against anyone..not to mention pop is a damn pschology major and he has a way with players and getting them to conform to his defensive style..

God dammit dude, shut the fuck up already.

EricB
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Good lord, please New Orleans do that trade.

SenorSpur
02-06-2009, 01:57 PM
CP3 assist total would drop into single digits, if the Hornets make that trade.

EricB
02-06-2009, 02:02 PM
CP3 assist total would drop into single digits, if the Hornets make that trade.

Marion is a good finisher so I don't think they would dip that low, BUT, their defense would drop significantly, as would their chances at contending.

SenorSpur
02-06-2009, 02:06 PM
Marion is a good finisher so I don't think they would dip that low, BUT, their defense would drop significantly, as would their chances at contending.

Actually Marion is a good perimeter defender. But I hear what you're saying. Their interior defense would be downgraded - considerably. I mean, who are they going to throw in there to replace Chandler - Hilton Armstrong? Please.