PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Pop's decision in Denver

Supergirl
02-06-2009, 10:09 AM
With all the players who have recently fallen to injury - possibly season-ending injury in the case of Jameer Nelson, Andrew Bogut, and Andrew Bynum - Pop's decision to sit Manu, Tony, and TD in Denver is looking better and better all the time.

The tiebreaker is not really that important, and that's really all the game was good for. Resting their big three gave the Spurs a chance to see what newbie Malik Hairston could do, and he turned out to be great. It also gave Hill and Mason a chance to run the show, and they'll be crucial in the playoffs. The reality is, the Spurs had a decent chance of winning that game with none of their big 3, and that should really scare the Nuggets and the rest of the league.

But more importantly, resting their big 3 for that game gave them a comfortable 3 days off to rest. This is so huge and important, because more than anything else, we need them all healthy and rested come playoff time.

arodz
02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
The reality is, the Spurs had a decent chance of winning that game with none of their big 3, and that should really scare the Nuggets and the rest of the league.

To put things in perspective, let's not forget that Denver was playing without Kenyon Martin and played the second half without Chauncey Billups. But as far as Denver being scared.....they already piss themselves when they see silver and black.

lefty
02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Pop is a freaking genius

NuGGeTs-FaN
02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I'm sorry but i have to comment on the numerous comments that the Spurs somehow proved something that night.

It's a known fact that some teams play down to their competition and also up to their competition. The Spurs played down to the Warriors and nearly got done in OT, the Nuggets played down to the Spurs bench and just squeaked out a win.

The Spurs bench is good, the league already knows that. The Nuggets have a very bad habit of taking it way too easy when the competition isn't the best and that is what ticked GK off.

I'm sure the Nuggets would have played the starters much tougher than the bench. That game did nothing for either team except help the Nuggets gain a game on the Spurs, it's no big deal.

If anything it was good for the Nuggets coz they got to see how a good bench can play solid ball when they play as a unit.

Like i said before, that game meant nothing in the long term. I know Melo said it was a statement game but he said that before the game as well, so he was just reiterating it.

It was a big game still for them coz every game counts for the top 9 teams in the West. Any team could slide down in a matter of days.

pawe
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
We will still own them come playoff time.

ulosturedge
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Well Duncan deserved a night off, Manu was banged up from the night before, and Finley is just getting old. The only person who really didn't need the night off was Tony, but seeing as Pop decided to use the nuggets game to help build some character on his bench; i'm sure George Hill is important enough to be included in that process.

Initially I thought "Great idea Pop" but then when I found out they aren't gonna be playing again until Sunday I was like "Hmmm". There are good arguments on both sides and that being said.

It is what it is and it was just Pop being Pop. He stuck to his decisions without excuses. I respect that. So I just shrug it off and move on and so should everyone else.

arodz
02-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, they BETTER bring their A Game on Sunday, or Pop will be called out again.

rascal
02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Sunday has nothing to do with the Denver game.

It has been said in here before, Pop was sending the league a message about the scheduling and nothing more.

Supergirl
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
It's a known fact that some teams play down to their competition and also up to their competition. The Spurs played down to the Warriors and nearly got done in OT, the Nuggets played down to the Spurs bench and just squeaked out a win.

Actually I think it's the opposite. Wounded teams are the most dangerous teams in the world. Teams that lose an integral piece to injury often produce unlikely heroes and big games from other players.

Spurs would have trounced the Nuggets if just 1 of their big 3 had played. Hell, if just 1 had come in to play in the 4th quarter. But it wasn't worth the risk of injury, because in the big picture that game doesn't mean anything.

Now, psychologically, the game on Sunday versus the C's - that is a big game.