PDA

View Full Version : Spurs more than capable of beating boston

spurspokesman
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I know many may be concerned with the spurs chances at beating boston. I know we can beat them. As I look at boston one thing jumps at me. They become an average team under defensive pressure. La who played not so great defense down the stretch last night (Leaving Eddie House open several times)gave them problems when they started to play a little D and eeked out A W without bynum. If we play spur defense, hit open shots and someone besides tim finds A rebound we can more than beat the celts.

Dr. Gonzo
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Great thread!

SenorSpur
02-06-2009, 12:12 PM
The interesting thing is the Spurs are a better defensive team than the Fakers. The problem is the Spurs simply have not be as good defensively as they have in years past.

The points per game allowed to the opposition (94.5) and opposition FG% (45.7) have than inflated to a level we have not seen in the Duncan era. To beat a team like the Celtics, they absolutely MUST be better defensively - if they can.

FreeMason
02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
As I watch Boston one thing jumps out at me...

They can rebound the shit out of the ball on both ends. The Spurs are undersized.

This Spurs squad still hasn't proven they can play "Spurs defense" this year.

ploto
02-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Spurs more than capable of beating boston

Well, the problem is-- they have to be able to beat the Lakers first for it to matter.

Supergirl
02-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Spurs are capable of beating the C's. KG and TD always neutralize one another when they meet. Rondo and Parker are both lightning fast and defend well, so they neutralize each other. Parker has a slight edge in experience and basketball IQ at this point.

Manu and Bowen will probably shut down Ray Allen, which means it will come down to role players for the Spurs. Mason will hopefully have an A game, I predict he'll be the difference maker.

spurspokesman
02-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Well, the problem is-- they have to be able to beat the Lakers first for it to matter.

We have beat the fakers this year.(How could you have forgotten.)

spurspokesman
02-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Spurs are capable of beating the C's. KG and TD always neutralize one another when they meet. Rondo and Parker are both lightning fast and defend well, so they neutralize each other. Parker has a slight edge in experience and basketball IQ at this point.

Manu and Bowen will probably shut down Ray Allen, which means it will come down to role players for the Spurs. Mason will hopefully have an A game, I predict he'll be the difference maker.

AS USUAL THIS YEAR (2 game winners in 2 BIG GAMES. NICE)

EricB
02-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I do think the Celtics are weaker than they are last year due to the loss of Posey, and some guys are just not playing as well, IE Leon Powe, Glenn Davis, Kendrick Perkins.

Also something I've noticed that really will hurt them is their lack of composure. For a championship team that has been together for a couple years now, they really get alot of technicals and whine to the refs way too much. I think that will become a downfall, ala the 2007 Suns.

Mike Smrek
02-06-2009, 01:53 PM

You conveniently left Paul Pierce out of your equation. He's decent.

Supergirl
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM

he is, and the Spurs will have to choose between putting their best defender on either Pierce or Allen. But fortunately, neither one can win the game by themselves.

EricB
02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Ginobili will have to bring his defensive A game.

Bruce Bowen I think will get the call over Roger Mason if the Spurs take this game seriously. If its treated like a February rodeo road trip game, then Mason will get the tough defensive assignment.

Tully365
02-06-2009, 03:05 PM

he is, and the Spurs will have to choose between putting their best defender on either Pierce or Allen. But fortunately, neither one can win the game by themselves.

I'm no Celtics fan, but it's hard to defend the theory that Pierce can't win games by himself after watching last year's finals.

Fingaroll44
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
which means it will come down to role players

...and therein lies the rub lol...nah im not dissing our role players but this is what it comes down to mostly always....the bench MUST step the hell up if this squad is going to do ANYTHING

mytespurs
02-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I know many may be concerned with the spurs chances at beating boston. I know we can beat them. As I look at boston one thing jumps at me. They become an average team under defensive pressure. La who played not so great defense down the stretch last night (Leaving Eddie House open several times)gave them problems when they started to play a little D and eeked out A W without bynum. If we play spur defense, hit open shots and someone besides tim finds A rebound we can more than beat the celts.

Of course we can but the question is will we? This is a good matchup; just hope the Spurs show up on both sides of the ball! :hat

Admidave50
02-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Problem is "Spurs defense" is not there yet, hope we'll be fully ready come the playoffs

ManuTP9
02-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Spurs should win this one

MarHill
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM

They have beaten the Lakers already.

The season series is 1-1 with one more game to go.

DazedAndConfused
02-06-2009, 06:55 PM
They have beaten the Lakers already.

The season series is 1-1 with one more game to go.

LOL the Spurs barely beat a depleted Laker team playing a b2b.

When they faced off at full strength the Lakers demolished the Spurs so badly Pop didn't bother playing the Big 3 in the 4th.

BlackSwordsMan
02-06-2009, 06:58 PM

When they faced off at full strength the Lakers demolished the Spurs so badly Pop didn't bother playing the Big 3 in the 4th.

spurs were just resting like they did tuesday

CarefreeAZ
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM

Paul Pierce - last game of nba finals?

ezau
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM

Depleted? Your scrubs didn't play that game. They're not going to make a difference. :flag:

xellos88330
02-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Well, Mason just had to give Kobe his balls back considering he left them here on the court in San Antonio.

No NBA player deserves to be that humiliated. Well, except for Kobe.

Agloco
02-07-2009, 01:34 PM

FAIL

ducks
02-08-2009, 03:25 PM
yep

tmtcsc
02-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Holy Shit. FUCK the LAKERS.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2009, 03:27 PM
like I've said many times..our main obstacle is LA..we matchup well with Boston and Cleveland, but not so much with the Lakers..if we get by LA, we're winning the title, book it..

tmtcsc
02-08-2009, 03:32 PM
We'll get by LA....Manu is Manu again.