PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen will be >>>>>> than The Darknight

Ignignokt
02-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Book it.

Gtown has called it.

Therefore it has been decreed from now and forever.

balli
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't know shit about Watchmen, but nearly every movie is better than the Dark Knight.

MaNuMaNiAc
02-06-2009, 12:44 PM
The Dark Knight was good... overhyped no doubt, but a good movie I thought

peewee's lovechild
02-06-2009, 12:50 PM
It depends.

If Snyder strayed too much from the comics, then no.
If he stayed true to the comics, then it could very well be.

dickface
02-06-2009, 01:29 PM
All those previews look lame as hell.

IronMexican
02-06-2009, 01:41 PM
The Dark Knight sucks, and that bitch from the movie is fucking ugly. ANY move can be better than TDK. That piece of shit was so overrated.

balli
02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
TDK didn't just suck; it was a complete fucking fraud. A horribly directed blockbuster trying to pose as a philosophical work and failing miserably in that too obvious affectation. Almost no redeeming quality, merit or value whatsoever.

monosylab1k
02-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Funny how TDK haters have to keep convincing themselves of how much they hate the movie by repeating the exact same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Yeah we get it, you hated a movie that 95% of America loved. Congratulations on being such independent thinkers. Now shut the fuck up.

IronMexican
02-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Alright, mono, TDK didn't suck, but it definitely merited unnecessary praise. Was it good? Yeah. Great? Not even close. I actually paused the movie in the middle of the day cause it kind of bored me, and watched it later that night.

balli
02-06-2009, 02:00 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2008/07/michael-mann-ki.html

Dark Knight' mob attacks defenseless film critic
Not that it matters of course, when it comes to a pop-culture tsunami like "The Dark Knight," but so far most of America's much-maligned film critics have embraced the Christopher Nolan-directed film, which is due to set all sorts of obscure box-office records this weekend. (Is there, for example, a record for biggest July opening during a presidential campaign year?) But there's always a skunk at every wedding. When it comes to "Dark Knight" fans, the skunk is New York magazine critic David Edelstein, who had the temerity to slag off the new Batman film, calling it "noisy, jumbled and sadistic."

And that was just the beginning: Edelstein hooted at the action scenes ("spectacularly incoherent"), the director ("Nolan appears to have no clue how to stage or shoot action") and the movie in general ("it's all fits and starts, fitfully suspenseful, fitfully scary... with jolts of brutality to keep you revved up"). "Dark Knight" loyalists did not take this lying down. Edelstein has been bombarded with so much e-mail abuse since his review posted that he felt obligated to respond to the vitriol. (The New Yorker's David Denby didn't like the movie much either, but he's somehow escaped being tarred and feathered by the angry mob, perhaps because everyone was more enraged by the Obama cartoon on the cover of this week's magazine.)

I'm not going to get in the middle of this maelstrom, since sadly, I'm such a cultural slacker that I haven't seen the movie yet. But I feel a pang of sympathy for Edelstein, who notes that the Batman fanboys seem to want to have it both ways--calling him a snob for taking the movie seriously, then mocking his pretentiousness for offering more than a "Wow!" as a critical response. The ranting and name-calling all takes us back to the primal question of today's moviegoing age: Do critics still matter?

You should read Edelstein's entire response, but here, in a nutshell, is his argument, which is worth pondering:

"There has been a lot of chatter in the last few years that criticism is a dying profession, having been supplanted by the democratic voices of the Web. Not to get all Lee Siegel on you, but the Internet has a mob mentality that can overwhelm serious criticism. There is superb writing in blogs and discussion groups ... but there are also thousands of semi-literate tirades that actually reinforce the Hollywood status quo, that say: 'If you do not like "The Dark Knight,'" you should be fired because you do not speak for the people.' Well, the people don't need to be spoken for. And a critic's job is not only to steer you to movies you might not have heard of or that died at the box-office. It's also to bring a different, much-needed perspective on blockbusters like 'The Dark Knight.' "

peewee's lovechild
02-06-2009, 02:01 PM
TDK didn't just suck; it was a complete fucking fraud. A horribly directed blockbuster trying to pose as a philosophical work and failing miserably in that too obvious affectation. Almost no redeeming quality, merit or value whatsoever.

Okay.

FreeMason
02-06-2009, 02:07 PM

LOL, it wasn't that bad.

You just despise it because Batman pulled a Bush.

Fpoonsie
02-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Funny how TDK haters have to keep convincing themselves of how much they hate the movie by repeating the exact same shit over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Yeah we get it, you hated a movie that 95% of America loved. Congratulations on being such independent thinkers. Now shut the fuck up.

:lol That.

balli
02-06-2009, 02:08 PM
You just despise it because of the cell phone abuse.
:lol No I don't. Though I thought that was probably the worst shot action scene in the history of film.

lefty
02-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Nothing beats Dark Knight!

Nothing !!!!!

peewee's lovechild
02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
:lol No I don't. Though I thought that was probably the worst shot action scene in the history of film.

Instead of just posting that it sucks, and posting why other people thought it sucked, why don't you tell us why it sucked.

Tell us what was wrong with the movie.

xtremesteven33
02-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Dark Knight was horribly overrated. I saw the movie and was satisfied but not overly impressed.

I just hate people who get erect over the thought of the movie....its not that good.

xtremesteven33
02-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Instead of just posting that it sucks, and posting why other people thought it sucked, why don't you tell us why it sucked.

Tell us what was wrong with the movie.

Something doesnt have to be wrong with a movie for it to be overrated. It just doesnt have to be "Great".

RyanLeaf
02-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Dark Knight was horribly overrated. I saw the movie and was satisfied but not overly impressed.

I just hate people who get erect over the thought of the movie....its not that good.

Yes, It was that good.

xtremesteven33
02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Dark Knight was no better than SpiderMan....please.

peewee's lovechild
02-06-2009, 02:50 PM

Yes it was.

peewee's lovechild
02-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Something doesnt have to be wrong with a movie for it to be overrated. It just doesnt have to be "Great".

Granted, I'll give you that.

But, that's not what he said.

There's a difference between saying that it was overrated and that it sucked and was horrible.

ClingingMars
02-06-2009, 03:53 PM
The Dark Knight was good... overhyped no doubt, but a good movie I thought

+1

we'll see. TDK is still one of my favorite movies.

sonic21
02-06-2009, 04:00 PM
TDK was good because of heath ledger, the storyline and the acting (except heath and caine) were average.

dirk4mvp
02-06-2009, 04:08 PM
The Joker was almost a better movie character than Tyler Durden, which means it was pretty great.

People saying TDK sucked without saying why are retarded faggots like ballijuana.

leemajors
02-06-2009, 04:16 PM
The Joker was almost a better movie character than Tyler Durden, which means it was pretty great.

People saying TDK sucked without saying why are retarded faggots like ballijuana.

i thought fight club and gladiator were really overrated, but i have no problems just saying it's my personal opinion. actually i think everything related to or created by Palahniuk sucks ass. Pulp of the worst sort. Choke was fucking terrible. TDK was a bit long, and i was bored in several parts, but it wasn't a terrible movie.

Frenzy
02-06-2009, 04:16 PM
i think TDK was to dark lol... like jeeze lets have some light.

dirk4mvp
02-06-2009, 04:18 PM
i thought fight club and gladiator were really overrated, but i have no problems just saying it's my personal opinion. actually i think everything related to or created by Palahniuk sucks ass. Pulp of the worst sort. Choke was fucking terrible. TDK was a bit long, and i was bored in several parts, but it wasn't a terrible movie.

That's cool, it's your opinion. At least you say why it's overrated.

balli
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

hmmmmmm... probably for the same reasons other people thought it sucked. And I thought I said as much when I posted:

A horribly directed blockbuster trying to pose as a philosophical work and failing miserably in that too obvious affectation.

Why was it horribly directed? Well, if you consider the DK's action scenes to be coherent, that's on you, watch it again. In the interest of this thread I just watched the cell phone scene again; utterly laughable. The plot was chopped to bits, jumping from one scene to the next at a breakneck pace, yet still somehow managed to be incredibly boring. There was a major disconnect between the ultra-real world Nolan wanted and the plot. Do you want me to suspend my disbelief or not, Nolan? Bale sucked- could you make Batman or Wayne any more unlikable guy? And hell, you wanna try doing a little acting other than talking like some crazed and congested James Earl Jones? And why was the point of this movie to crush Batman's mystique in the first place? Is that the only way you could think of imparting a little failed intellectual panache to the script Nolan? I didn't think Butterface Gyllenhal sucked, but the fact remains she's a butterface. The joker was decent, but 15 minutes of nihilism can't carry a whole movie and by the second boring hour the act was already wearing thin. Not to mention all of the jumbled wanna be philosophical mumbo jumbo tied to this character basically amounted to a bunch of tacked on, failed, shit. And this mystique that the role somehow killed Heath Ledger because it was so complex needs to die. He died because his junky ass OD'd on sleeping pills and alcohol. God what a shit heap of a film.

xtremesteven33
02-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Why was it horribly directed? Well, if you consider the DK's action scenes to be coherent, that's on you, watch it again. In the interest of this thread I just watched the cell phone scene again; utterly laughable. The plot was chopped to bits, jumping from one scene to the next at a breakneck pace, yet still somehow managed to be incredibly boring. There was a major disconnect between the ultra-real world Nolan wanted and the plot. Do you want me to suspend my disbelief or not, Nolan? Bale sucked- could you make Batman or Wayne any more unlikable guy? And hell, you wanna try doing a little acting other than talking like some crazed and congested James Earl Jones? And why was the point of this movie to crush Batman's mystique in the first place? Is that the only way you could think of imparting a little failed intellectual panache to the script Nolan? I didn't think Butterface Gyllenhal sucked, but the fact remains she's a butterface. The joker was decent, but 15 minutes of nihilism can't carry a whole movie and by the second boring hour the act was already waring thin. Not to mention all of the jumbled wanna be philosophical mumbo jumbo tied to this character basically amounted to a bunch of tacked on, failed, shit. And this mystique that the role somehow killed Heath Ledger because it was so complex needs to die. He died because his junky ass OD'd on sleeping pills and alcohol. God what a shit heap of a film.

I concur

The Reckoning
02-06-2009, 04:57 PM
TDK was pretty good, but i actually liked Batman Begins better...

Ignignokt
02-06-2009, 05:37 PM
hmmmmmm... probably for the same reasons other people thought it sucked. And I thought I said as much when I posted:

Why was it horribly directed? Well, if you consider the DK's action scenes to be coherent, that's on you, watch it again. In the interest of this thread I just watched the cell phone scene again; utterly laughable. The plot was chopped to bits, jumping from one scene to the next at a breakneck pace, yet still somehow managed to be incredibly boring. There was a major disconnect between the ultra-real world Nolan wanted and the plot. Do you want me to suspend my disbelief or not, Nolan? Bale sucked- could you make Batman or Wayne any more unlikable guy? And hell, you wanna try doing a little acting other than talking like some crazed and congested James Earl Jones? And why was the point of this movie to crush Batman's mystique in the first place? Is that the only way you could think of imparting a little failed intellectual panache to the script Nolan? I didn't think Butterface Gyllenhal sucked, but the fact remains she's a butterface. The joker was decent, but 15 minutes of nihilism can't carry a whole movie and by the second boring hour the act was already wearing thin. Not to mention all of the jumbled wanna be philosophical mumbo jumbo tied to this character basically amounted to a bunch of tacked on, failed, shit. And this mystique that the role somehow killed Heath Ledger because it was so complex needs to die. He died because his junky ass OD'd on sleeping pills and alcohol. God what a shit heap of a film.

:wow

I TOTALLY AGREE HERE!

Ignignokt
02-06-2009, 05:42 PM

I had no intention of trying to be some artsy fag independent critic when i saw the dark knight.

I saw the movie, it sucked. 95% of america could be right for all i care. That movie just was so lame because the phsycological themes were NC-17 but the violence was PG-13. THere was hardly any blood.

sonic21
02-06-2009, 05:44 PM

:tu

koriwhat
02-06-2009, 05:50 PM
comic to movie screen adaptations have all fuckin' sucked! and especially more so now then ever considering everyone is going the DARK angle.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2009, 06:30 PM

I agree with most of this. I didn't hate the movie, but I certainly enjoyed Batman Begins a lot more. Bale's Darth Vader voice imitation as Batman seemed out of place. Gyllenhal I personally find attractive, but as soon as Mrs. Chopper saw her as the Bat's love interest she openly questioned the choice of actor for the role. The movie never really flowed, or pulled me in at all. It was definitely choppy and somewhat poorly acted. I'd rate it somewhere between a 6 or a 7 on a 10 point scale. I probably would give Batman Begins an 8 or a 9.

CuckingFunt
02-06-2009, 06:48 PM

While I still really like The Dark Knight, that is the part of the film that has annoyed me most in subsequent viewings.

Can't agree that it's the worst shot action scene in the history of film, though, just because the new fondness for handheld/close-up/choppy fight scenes has presented so many contenders for the title. All of Hollywood needs to take at least a month and watch nothing but early kung fu flicks to remember the awesomeness of a fight scene shot wide.

CuckingFunt
02-06-2009, 06:49 PM

This is false.

Fuck, even the 1968 Batman movie was better than all three of the Spiderman films.

Combined.

And it's not even close.

xtremesteven33
02-06-2009, 06:55 PM
This is false.

Fuck, even the 1968 Batman movie was better than all three of the Spiderman films.

Combined.

And it's not even close.

Yea but Kirsten Dunst was hot

J.T.
02-06-2009, 07:03 PM

TDK is worth owning on DVD.

None of the Spider Mans are.

Therefore, your post is fucking stupid.

Next.

tp2021
02-06-2009, 07:26 PM
I didn't think Butterface Gyllenhal sucked, but the fact remains she's a butterface.I LOLed.

I find it interesting that at the time, when there were shitloads of threads for TDK, all the posters who loved it went so far as to say it was the best movie ever. When presented with the thought that, "You may say that now, but eventually you won't think that," they all seemed to respond by saying "No, I really think it might be the best movie ever."

I don't think anyone in this thread has uttered "Best movie ever" or even gone farther than "great." Just my observation.

mFFL03
02-07-2009, 03:05 AM

Yah....Spiderman is pretty bad. When your guy friends come over....pop in the DVD and see what happens to you.

I can't believe everyone drank that kiddie Koolaide.

BTW, Watchmen is going to BLOW. Way too much CGI for starters....

Avitus1
02-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Watchmen will probably be "decent" but the previews look dumb and they changed the ending from the comic. If you have read the comic all I need to say is "The Squid is out" and hopefully you'll know what I mean.

Xylus
02-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Extremely negative criticism of The Dark Knight always sounds like knee-jerk reaction to the hype of the film, rather than a legitimate criticism of the actual film.

koriwhat
02-07-2009, 05:10 AM
i liked tdk but i found it to be cheesy except for pill poppin ledger. he played a role believable... as for batman, stop with the cheesy heavy, whispery, lisp-like, no-jaw-movement, funny sounding voice. it's fuckin' annoying! you own a damn multi-million dollar car, bike, mansion, and butler so why don't you own a freakin voice box thingamajig? i don't understand.

tlongII
02-07-2009, 01:21 PM
TDK was okay. But for me the best comic book based movie I've ever seen is Ironman. I don't expect Watchmen to be in that class.

peewee's lovechild
02-07-2009, 01:27 PM

I laughed when I read this.

tp2021
02-07-2009, 01:44 PM
This movie is just one of the best movies made.

Do you still think that peewee?

Trainwreck2100
02-07-2009, 01:53 PM
What's with all the Spiderman hate, if you take out all of Kirsten Dunce's scenes, and the second half of the 3rd movie it's a great franchise

CuckingFunt
02-07-2009, 02:01 PM
What's with all the Spiderman hate, if you take out all of Kirsten Dunce's scenes, and the second half of the 3rd movie it's a great franchise

Matter of taste, but I really couldn't get into any of the movies. They're all over the map in terms of tone.

And Tobey Maguire looks like a lesbian, which I find oddly disconcerting.

Trainwreck2100
02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/maninblack2007/blackfreighterprintsheet.jpg

Warner Home Video have announced the US DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter & Under the Hood on 24th March 2009. From the director of Watchmen and 300 come two tales from the celebrated graphic novel that do not appear in the new Watchmen film. Tales of the Black Freighter (featuring the voice of 300’s Gerard Butler) brings to animated life the novel's story-within-a-story, a daring pirate saga whose turbulent events may mirror those in the Watchmens’ world. Stars from the Watchmen movie feature in the live-action/CGI Under the Hood, based on Nite Owl’s first-hand account of how the hooded adventurers came into existence.

Priced at $27.95 SRP on DVD and $35.99 SRP on Blu-ray Disc, extras include:

* Story Within A Story: The Books of Watchmen
* A First Look at Green Lantern
* Digital Copy (Blu-ray only)

Cant_Be_Faded
02-07-2009, 05:38 PM

hahahaha
awesome. totally awesome.

CuckingFunt
02-07-2009, 07:19 PM
hahahaha
awesome. totally awesome.

Not quite as awesome as you continuing to critique a film you haven't seen, but close.

FreeMason
02-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Hold up for one second.

It's okay to shit on The Dark Knight, but don't EVER....EVER..talk bad about Gladiator. :lol