PDA

View Full Version : Who has the best clam?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I can usually find some rather delicious clams whenever I head down the California coastline. The Crab Cooker at Newport Beach is my favorite place to stop for seafood. I've made a two and a half hour detour through LA traffic to get my hands on what they're serving up at the Crab Cooker. The food's always hot, fresh and delicious when I go there. You know you're getting close to the restaurant when the freeway ends and you're suddenly on the streets of Newport Beach. You know you've gone too far if saltwater starts to come in the doors of your car.

jaffies
02-06-2009, 05:29 PM
The best clams don't make your sausage itch.

IronMexican
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
The Asians.

Summers
02-06-2009, 05:51 PM
:lol This thread is not going to end well.

balli
02-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Tough call...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90381&highlight=cameltoe

SpursWoman
02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
:makeout @ EHJ. :lol

clambake
02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
i have the best.

EricB
02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
:lol

The epicness at hand could be legendary...

SpursWoman
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM

The epicness at hand could be legendary...

Just let me know when the

:ttiwwp:

shit starts so I know when to NOT open the thread. :lol

EricB
02-06-2009, 06:36 PM

Will do

PakiDan
02-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Any chance we can get the .. um .... avatars changed to clams in support of the Rodeo Road trip?

tp2021
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Any chance we can get the .. um .... avatars changed to clams in support of the Rodeo Road trip?

The progression goes:
Bravatars, Assvatars, Snatchatars.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2009, 07:25 PM
If anyone in the group is not real experienced eating seafood I'll offer up a little free advice. When you're eating clams, you know they're properly prepared if they aren't overly tough when you bite down on them. Also, a soggy, mushy, or discolored clam definitely indicates trouble. Clam shells should naturally open up for you when the proper amount of heat and/or steam are applied. If a clam's outer shell won't open up when it gets hot, just pass on trying to force it open manually. A clam that won't open up when you apply the proper heat is not worth eating, and could lead to all kinds of problems for you. No means no. But don't fret over it though, just know there are plenty of wonderful clams out there just waiting to be eaten. My best advice, however, is to give the clam a little sniff before you put it in your mouth. Anything smelling remotely 'bad' should not enter you mouth...ever. I've made that mistake before when I was really desperate for some clams, and believe me I've never been able to erase that memory from my mind.

Now oysters are a little different. The best way to know you've got a truly fresh oyster is to squeeze a little lemon juice on it, and watch it for a second before putting it in your mouth. A fresh oyster will immediately pucker up a bit from the acidic nature of the juice. And although no one's ever objected, I certainly ask first before putting juice on someone else's oyster. An oyster that just lies there and does nothing when you squeeze your juice on it isn't going to be good to eat...trust me. Also know that you never have to pay for a dead oyster. Just tell the person in charge that you've got a lifeless oyster on your hands and they'll gladly give you a new one. And I'm amazed how many people don't know that you never chew on a fresh oyster; you just place it gently in your mouth and let your tongue do all the work. Finally, like the clams, if an oyster has any type of odor whatsoever just get up and walk out, because you know you've wandered into an establishment that serves up rotten oysters, and those places should definitely be avoided at all costs.

clambake
02-06-2009, 07:39 PM
If anyone in the group is not real experienced eating seafood I'll offer up a little free advice. When you're eating clams, you know they're properly prepared if they aren't overly tough when you bite down on them. Also, a soggy, mushy, or discolored clam definitely indicates trouble. Clam shells should naturally open up for you when the proper amount of heat and/or steam are applied. If a clam's outer shell won't open up when it gets hot, just pass on trying to force it open manually. A clam that won't open up when you apply the proper heat is not worth eating, and could lead to all kinds of problems for you. No means no. But don't fret over it though, just know there are plenty of wonderful clams out there just waiting to be eaten. My best advice, however, is to give the clam a little sniff before you put it in your mouth. Anything smelling remotely 'bad' should not enter you mouth...ever. I've made that mistake before when I was really desperate for some clams, and believe me I've never been able to erase that memory from my mind.

Now oysters are a little different. The best way to know you've got a truly fresh oyster is to squeeze a little lemon juice on it, and watch it for a second before putting it in your mouth. A fresh oyster will immediately pucker up a bit from the acidic nature of the juice. And although no one's ever objected, I certainly ask first before putting juice on someone else's oyster. An oyster that just lies there and does nothing when you squeeze your juice on it isn't going to be good to eat...trust me. Also know that you never have to pay for a dead oyster. Just tell the person in charge that you've got a lifeless oyster on your hands and they'll gladly give you a new one. And I'm amazed how many people don't know that you never chew on a fresh oyster; you just place it gently in your mouth and let your tongue do all the work. Finally, like the clams, if an oyster has any type of odor whatsoever just get up and walk out, because you know you've wandered into an establishment that serves up rotten oysters, and those places should definitely be avoided at all costs.

wait a minute......are you talking about a whore house?

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2009, 07:40 PM
wait a minute......are you talking about a whore house?

I'm talking about the joys of eating fresh seafood...sheesh. Some people have very creative imaginations.

JudynTX
02-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't like clams. :D

clambake
02-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm talking about the joys of eating fresh seafood...sheesh. Some people have very creative imaginations.

ok.....no love for the scallop?

mrsmaalox
02-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Yea I'm glad I don't do clams; that's too many rules to remember to enjoy one.

tp2021
02-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Yea I'm glad I don't do clams; that's too many rules to remember to enjoy one.

Wait a minute...are you sure you're still talking about seafood?

timvp
02-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Ed Helicopter Jones must be an expert seaman.