PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Players Defend Coach's Lineup Decision

duncan228
02-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Spurs players defend coach's lineup decision (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_players_defend_coachs_lineup_decision.html)
Jeff McDonald

Earlier this week, the Spurs became a part of the national conversation again when Gregg Popovich took the unusual step of resting four of his top five scorers in a Tuesday night game at Denver.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Michael Finley did not play in a 104-96 loss to the Nuggets, though Ginobili (hip contusion) was the only one listed as injured.

The move drew understanding from some quarters, and scorn from others. Back at practice Friday for the first time since returning from Denver, several of the Spurs most affected by Popovich's decision chose to defend it.

“Pop is always big about resting,” Parker said. “It wasn't that big of a surprise. We trust his judgment.”

It isn't unusual for Popovich to choose to steal rest for several of his more prominent players when the schedule gets grueling. What was unusual this time was the decision to rest all his stars at once — especially with four days without a game in the offing.

It had only happened once before, in an April 2007 game at Memphis, at a time when the Spurs' playoff position already had been sealed.

Still, Duncan seemed genuinely surprised Friday to learn the Spurs' new-and-unimproved lineup in Denver had sparked a mini-maelstrom on the national airwaves.

“I wasn't informed that it was a big deal,” Duncan said. “If it was, I understand why. But I feel like it was the right decision for us in that situation. Hopefully it pays off.”

Rest is good: The Spurs got an unexpected treat in the middle of their annual rodeo road trip — some rest at home. With no game scheduled between Tuesday's loss at Denver and Sunday afternoon's showdown in Boston, the team took Wednesday and Thursday off.

The players worked out Friday before boarding a plane for Beantown, where another practice is set for this morning.

“It's good to break (the trip) up, instead of being on the road in one long stretch,” Duncan said. “A lot of us have families, and we love to be home and spend some time with them.”

Parker an exec: In preparation for life after his playing days are over, Parker has purchased the second-largest stake in ASVEL Lyon-Villeurbanne, the most storied basketball club is his native France.

“I just wanted to do something to prepare my future,” Parker said. “I had a good opportunity with that team, and I took it.”

Parker says he hasn't ruled out finishing his career with the French team once his NBA career is over.

m33p0
02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
i'll stick this one in here. From SI.com
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/steve_aschburner/02/06/spurs/index.html

Steve Aschburner Steve Aschburner >
INSIDE THE NBA
NBA: Where Spurs sitting happens

There's been a compelling game of high-stakes poker going on this week at New York's Madison Square Garden. Kobe Bryant hung 61 points on Mike D'Antoni's squad Monday and then, two nights later, LeBron James rolled in for a see-your-61, raise-you-a-52-point-near-triple-double performance.

Now it's Friday, and who better to continue the one-upmanship than a Celtics crew capable on any given night of three-upmenship? Unless, of course, Doc Rivers decides that Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett should just, y'know, sit on the bench all evening.

Rivers surely would be within his rights, even as he'd be disappointing hoops aficionados, a few VIPS and other heavy hitters turning out at MSG for the defending champions' second and final visit to Manhattan. But be real -- this is the tail end of a back-to-back for the Celtics, who must be tuckered and drained less than 24 hours after their emotional overtime loss to the Lakers on Thursday night in Boston. Besides, there's a game Sunday to worry about and prep for, a matinee against the extremely well-rested Spurs back at the TD Banknorth Garden.

How well-rested? Most of the Spurs last played at Denver on Tuesday in a 104-96 loss. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Michael Finley, however, haven't played since Monday, when San Antonio beat the Warriors 110-105 in overtime in Oakland. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich unexpectedly gave them the Tuesday game off. Together. En masse. As a group.

Cue the dramatic piano music: The NBA: Where DNP-CDs happen. Where this (slo-mo shot of a Colorado kid in the crowd wearing a Parker jersey, his smile turning upside down as his pop explains what the other Pop is doing) happens.

Where nothing out of the league office in New York happens, either. No fine. No rebuke. No rain checks for the disappointed children.

Apparently no double standard, either. An NBA spokesman said that, while the league didn't like Popovich's decision to turn Broadway into summer stock, critics were wrong if they thought the Spurs got away with something that, say, Dallas owner Mark Cuban and his coaches might not. It was an easy suspicion based on the former's good standing and clout within the NBA vs. the latter's track record as a relentless pain in commissioner David Stern's backside. Don't forget, the league has stood idly by for several years now as teams have rested starters, shut down superstars or otherwise "tanked'' late in each season to prepare for the playoffs or chase a few more draft-lottery balls.

The league doesn't intervene when Shaquille O'Neal and his bosses in Phoenix routinely circle dates on the schedule to skip games, a preemptive tactic to keep the big man's bunions from barking at him. Other players in other cities get occasional nights off, too, usually a nod to their age or extreme workload. It's just unusual to see four of them, all at once, heading to the bench like The Simpsons' bum-rushing their couch in the opening credits. We tend to expect two current All-Stars, tired but otherwise healthy, and four of a team's top five scorers (with Ginobili's hip bruise the only real injury) to break more of a sweat on game night than the courtside food servers.

Cuban, you should know, was fine with what Popovich did. The Mavericks owner also didn't think that he and his coaches would have been treated any more harshly had they picked a night to plant Nowitzki, Kidd and Terry on the bench.

"Don't have a problem with it at all,'' Cuban responded in an e-mail. "Fans come for the experience, to root for their favorite team and to enjoy the friends, family or associates they come with. The best experience is a close game that your team wins. I think it's far more like football than reporters realize. Fans root for the name on the front of the uniform more than on the back.

"There are probably two exceptions to that: Kobe and LeBron,'' he added. "Fans would be disappointed if they don't play.''

Some would add Dwight Howard, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul to that must-see short list, but Cuban's point was "sit'' happens in the long, physically demanding and mentally exhausting NBA regular season. Caveat Emptor isn't some mad-skilled, 7-foot center prospect from the Ukraine, it's an old Latin principle for "Let the buyer beware.'' Injuries are a part of this -- Jameer Nelson, Michael Redd, Andrew Bynum, Andrew Bogut, Elton Brand and their teams, all just in the last few days -- and NBA ticket buyers come to accept this.

Hard economic times demand smarter shopping than usual, though. Fans who choose and pay for in September or October the games they'll attend in January, February and March need to factor in these back-to-back scenarios. If the NBA were truly market-sensitive, or brutally honest, it would price tickets for any game in which one or both teams was playing on a second consecutive night in a "two for one'' or "buy one, half off the second'' package. Coaches, players and even gamblers know what they typically get -- rubber legs, glassy eyes, 44 minutes of gas in a 48-minute tank -- from teams in tail-end efforts; fans should get wise to it, too.

They also need to factor in the Spurs' and Popovich's practice of treating the regular season the way most NBA coaches treat the preseason. It's simply prelude, six months rather than four weeks to get his team tuned up for the games that matter most. Fans in San Antonio are fine with this -- they get full helpings of their favorite players on most nights, have ample opportunity to catch Duncan, Parker and Ginobili some other day and are quite content with the results (four NBA titles in 10 years). Besides, it wasn't as if Popovich held out those guys from a home game.

That -- the whereabouts of this move -- caused some folks to infer a message from Popovich's decision. So did the bluntness with which it was executed (all four, all night, rather than cameo minutes), its timing (the Spurs were facing no games over the next four days) and Popovich's deadpan remarks that night. Parker's head had swelled from another All-Star berth, the coach said, while Duncan had become a pest about renegotiating. Ha ha, nudge nudge, wink wink. Right.

Whatever that message might have been, though, and to whom it was directed, stayed pretty opaque. (Popovich could not be reached to explain his rationale.) People were left to guess: Was Popovich making a point about the tough turnaround, from Bay Area to Rocky Mountains, losing an hour to time zones and another hour just getting from the Denver airport to downtown? Was it a gripe about back-to-backs in general? This was San Antonio's 11th of 18 such pairs, not at all how the Spurs like to roll (they never face back-to-backs when they're winning rings in the spring).

Maybe Popovich was making a point to NBA headquarters, maybe he wasn't. Maybe he was trying to get into the Nuggets' heads by sacrificing a tiebreaker game (that the Spurs might have lost anyway) and still nearly winning with his JV. Maybe he was being the ultimate polite guest -- for every person in the stands who was bummed by not seeing the Spurs' stars, there must have been 100 who went home happy that Denver won. Maybe he was galvanizing his bench guys for rigors to come or otherwise flexing genius that is beyond most NBA mortals, in that Kasparov-like chessmaster's ability to think 10 moves ahead and win May games in February.

Me, I'm going to give it the best spin possible: Maybe Popovich, an extreme "team'' guy, is a closet loather of fantasy basketball leagues and just wanted to wreak havoc for a night on those who slobber over stats. The trouble comes when other coaches -- including Cleveland's Mike Brown and the Lakers' Phil Jackson -- feel that way, and decide to make their points about it in your town.

GSH
02-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Spurs players defend coach's lineup decision (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_players_defend_coachs_lineup_decision.html)

It had only happened once before, in an April 2007 game at Memphis, at a time when the Spurs' playoff position already had been sealed.

No... it hasn't only happened once before. A few seasons ago, the Spurs were banged up going into Phoenix. It was supposed to be an important game, because the Spurs and Suns were arguably the two best teams in the West that season, and their records were very close at that point in time.

One of our starters was hurt (Sorry, not sure which. I think it was Duncan.) Pop chose to sit a couple of other better players as well. It looked a lot like this game against Denver in that regard. And, if I remember correctly, Manu put it on his back and scored something like 42 or 44 that night, and we almost pulled out a win.

And if you think back a few seasons, the Celtics were having a crappy season and started tanking games at the end of the season in order to compete for a lottery pick. Everybody suspected it, but then Ryan Gomez came out and said so. He got his ass kicked for making the statement, and the denials started flying. But everybody knew.

Nobody is suggesting that Pop is trying to tank this season. So what other motive could he have? And what difference does it make? Didn't Dallas sit a bunch of their starters for the last couple of games, a couple of seasons ago? They had the West locked up, and didn't really need wins in the last couple. Seems like I remember people questioning that move after they lost in the first round of the playoffs.

The point is, it happens every year to one degree or another. People just bitch because it's the Spurs, and they are sick of losing to them. Enough already.

phyzik
02-07-2009, 12:42 AM
I will defend this decision for ever. It was a great move for several reasons, most of which we have all discussed on this board so I wont rehash them.

What I would like to point out is what a vagina Chris Duel and Jason Minix are acting like over this on 1250AM. For the past 3 days or so they have been butt hurt because just about EVERYONE who calls in disagree's with them on the subject. I understand their position that Pop is not above criticism but I what I dont understand is how they cannot see the benefit of this move and just accept the fact that they are wrong.

They keep bringing up how good Denver is this year and that we might have screwed up giving them the tie breaker and how it MIGHT catch up us in the post season, and thats a valid point except when you look at the fact that our BENCH almost beat them in that game. True, Denver is a good team, but they have WAY too many match-up problems against us to even contend in the playoffs against us. Every sane person knows and understands that Denver poses NO threat to the Spurs this year.

I can only hope they are doing it because they have recieved a ton of calls over the subject so they figure its going to help generate interest in the show. I refuse to believe a true Spurs fan such as Duel was so against this move unless it was to generate calls for his show being the Devils Advocate. If he trully believes what Jason and him are spewing out of their trash holes then he is a bigger "Golden Dumbass" than I thought.

By the way, FUCK THE COWBOYS!!! :toast

milkyway21
02-07-2009, 03:56 AM
NBA: Where Spurs sitting happens

:lmao

Fernando TD21
02-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Denver fans should be happy since the Nuggets won, Spurs fans should understand and accept Pop's decision. Pop is in the NBA to win championships and not to entertain people.

pjjrfan
02-07-2009, 11:53 AM
The Scheduling sucks. It has for a long time. I don't understand so many back to backs with teams then having streteches of 4-5 days off during the regular season. And having to play in Denver on the second game of a back to back has always sucked. And IMO given Denver an edge. I'm sure the league could cut all this stuff by at least 1/3 if not more. And while some people may feel cheated I read an article a while back I don't remember where about how unfair it is to fans to catch a Lakers or any team on the last leg of a long road trip on the 4th game of 4 games in 5 days, where the product, the game, is watered down by fatigue, and risk of injuries to players.

Pop is one of the few coaches who has the balls to do something like this and dare management to do something about it.

CubanMustGo
02-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Steve Aschburner: where butthurt happens

m33p0
02-07-2009, 02:21 PM
this one by Charlie Rosen:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9190570/Spurs-prove-Nuggets-are-pretenders

Spurs prove Nuggets are pretenders
by Charley Rosen

Straight shooting

The Nuggets bested the Spurs, 104-96, in a game that outraged several Denver-area media earlier this month. That's because Gregg Popovich deactivated Manu Ginobili and kept Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Michael Finley on the bench for the duration. Pop's excuse was the Spurs' strenuous overtime win over Golden State the night before, as well as unofficial cases of altitudinitus.

The local sports commentators were virtually unanimous in condemning Pop for cheating the paying customers of the opportunity to watch the Spurs' most celebrated players.

Perhaps some of the fans were disappointed, and rightfully so. However, Pop's primary concern was with his team's physical and emotional health, and rightfully so. Besides, the vast majority of the hometown rooters seemed to enjoy their heroes' triumph.

But the game had much more significance than who won, who lost, who played and who was tagged with "DNP coach's decision." In actuality, the game demonstrated why the Spurs are legitimate championship contenders and the Nuggets are not.

Even with a starting lineup that included Bruce Bowen, George Hill, Kurt Thomas, Matt Bonner and Roger Mason, the Spurs diligently adhered to Pop's routine game plan.

# Execute the offense.

# Share the ball.

# Play hard and smart on defense.

# Play every play as though it was the most crucial sequence in the entire game.

The Spurs' subs were also a less-than elite group — Fabricio Oberto, Ime Udoka, Jacque Vaughn, as well as Malik Hairston, who was a recent call-up from the D League — but they likewise played with admirable unselfishness, discipline and courage.

As expected, Mason was the only Spur who could create his own shot — going 9-for-21 for 26 points. But during Mason's 35 minutes of daylight, he was forced to play some point guard — a position for which his erratic handle and inability to pass on the move made him spectacularly unsuitable. Hence, his team-leading total of six assists was mitigated by his eight turnovers.

Also, in a desperate attempt to generate some scoring, the Spurs even ran four isos for Oberto! Despite Fab's severe offensive limitations, these sequences produced three buckets plus a non-shooting foul.

And despite being so short-handed, the Spurs recorded 26 assists on their 39 field goals and trailed only by two points early in the fourth quarter.

Meanwhile, the Nuggets were incredibly selfish — 18 assists on their 34 field goals. So lacking were they in any kind of teamwork that George Karl's postmortem included the accusation that his players were "selfish, selfish, selfish."

For sure, Kenyon Martin was out with a severe throat infection, and Chauncey Billups tweaked an ankle and played only 18 minutes. But as soon as the Nuggets saw Ginobili in civvies, and TD, TP and Finley not starting, their overconfidence was obvious. Hey, all they had to do was step on the court and the Spurs' scrubs would concede the outcome.

Turned out that the Nuggets actually seemed to be offended by the Spurs' gutsy play. And the game was as sloppy as a preseason contest — with missed layups galore, along with air balls, blocked shots and multiple turnovers committed either through carelessness or ineptness. But no matter how many times the Nuggets spurted to double-digit leads, the Spurs managed to claw their way back into contention.

What finally happened was that the Spurs were simply out-talented — as evidenced by Denver's 37-14 edge at the stripe — and out-numbered.

Still, the Spurs proved their own teamwide maturity while simultaneously revealing the Nuggets' collective immaturity (especially with Billups down and out).

The primary significance in this game is that, should San Antonio and Denver meet in the playoffs, the Spurs are guaranteed to prevail.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Where spurs sitting happens? rofl classic

That should be our anthem for this season.

boutons_
02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
agree with above

the fans are cheated MUCH more with teams being FORCED to play 15 - 20 B2Bs.

Pop couldn't have caused more complaints if he had forfeited the game and flew Oakland to SA.

Like the NBA overall, B2Bs suck.

2460 games/year, under 300 are worth watching.

player and coach/mgmt "talent" is over-diluted with too many franchises.

8 seeds x 2 confs is all that should be around, concentrating the talent and upgrading the quality of play.

Imagine the competition between players for 240 jobs instead of 480 jobs.

Imagine the commitment of each player to each game, trying to stay on the roster.

82 x 16 = still 1300 games/season (and NO B2Bs)

All 16 teams makes the playoffs, that's still a full playoff season.

Pop sitting 4 starters for one game?

better to bitch about, eg, Clippers vs OKC as even qualifying as basketball.

DannyT
02-07-2009, 03:47 PM
pop owes me a refund....