PDA

View Full Version : Spurstalk Running/Jogging/Walking/general cardio thread

Cry Havoc
02-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Hi everyone! I just thought I would start a thread about running and similar forms of workout for people to share comments and suggestions in.

So, I'll start with a question. For those of you who work out, how often do you run? Do you mix up the exercise with cross-training, etc.? Do you do HIIT or LSD runs?

I'm reading a very good book on running right now, and training for a half-marathon. =)

Hope this thread helps to stimulate discussion!

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2009, 01:08 AM
is working out ur right/left arm on ur penor considered a workout? can i contribute to the thread? or you going to discriminate this workout.

jaffies
02-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Hey Havoc, where the hell are you running at (in Chicago)? There's too much ice everywhere.
I really need to start, but I'm waiting for it to get above 20 degrees

leemajors
02-07-2009, 01:20 AM
my knees suck, and we have a gym at work. i ride the recumbent bike before work for ~10 miles.

PM5K
02-07-2009, 01:21 AM
HIIT works really well, it's also good to change things up.

Frenzy
02-07-2009, 01:27 AM
i run 2 or 3 times a week on a treadmill. I run 10 min then walk 5...then run 10 min..then walk 5...repeat for about 60-90min depends on the mood.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Hey Havoc, where the hell are you running at (in Chicago)? There's too much ice everywhere.
I really need to start, but I'm waiting for it to get above 20 degrees

In gyms for now. I'm actually down by Springfield for the time being, and it got up to 65 today, so I had a chance to get outside for a while. It was very nice.

tlongII
02-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Last time I ran was a year and a half ago in the Hood to Coast Relay. Ruined my back and knees. Ain't doing that again. Now I just do the elliptical for cardio. 35 minutes 4 or 5 times a week.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
02-07-2009, 02:02 AM
I run
about 3-4 times a week
about 4 miles
nothing too impressive

I usually try to shoot some hoops about once or twice a week too

Cry Havoc
02-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Last time I ran was a year and a half ago in the Hood to Coast Relay. Ruined my back and knees. Ain't doing that again. Now I just do the elliptical for cardio. 35 minutes 4 or 5 times a week.

I recommend Chi Running. It's a great book and it shows you how to take all (or nearly all) of the impact out of running. It's been a marvel for me, and I can now do LDRs without shin splints or cramping muscles.

CuckingFunt
02-07-2009, 03:56 AM
I walk. A lot. But after 16ish years as a dancer, my back and knees (to a much lesser extent) are fucked, so I pretty much don't run unless I'm being chased.

The Reckoning
02-07-2009, 04:09 AM
I walk. A lot. But after 16ish years as a dancer, my back and knees (to a much lesser extent) are fucked, so I pretty much don't run unless I'm being chased.

the dancers i know say they have horrible back pain, especially in the mornings.

i can relate. after so many years of extracurriculars, the only real trophies i have are two semi-healed broken bones in my lower back from football :lol.

back pain sucks, and pain killers can only do so much. its not necessarily the pain that kills me, but its that feeling of tightness like im wearing a corset.

SpursWoman
02-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I did 48 minutes on the elliptical trainer and 20 minutes on the treadmill yesterday but didn't do any weights.

Today I'm doing weights so I'll probably only do half of that. I still need to walk 'n stuff. :lol

florige
02-07-2009, 11:25 AM

:lol
I go to the gym pretty regular. On my non-lifting days I run about 2 miles on the treadmill. On the days that I lift I normally run a 1 1/2 mile. So when its all said and done I guess you can say I run between 10-12 miles per week.

AFBlue
02-07-2009, 12:14 PM
I do some form of cardio 6 days a week...at least 30 minutes a day.

I alternate between running/jogging (usually 3 miles) one day and then a cardio-focused video the next. The video works in different exercises (i.e. jumping jacks, jump rope, high knees, butt kicks, alternating lunges, etc.) in constant motion to elevate heart rate and strengthen core/lower body.

I find that alternating the two keeps my legs fresh because it's not the same repetitive motions day in and day out. I also notice an increase in my endurance and leg strength while running, even though I take days off.

I'm not sure it would help you with a half-marathon, but it's helping me lose weight and limit the affect of fatigue on my body.

thispego
02-07-2009, 01:18 PM
lol, reading a book about running

jman3000
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I run 2 miles 5 times a week. I go for speed not for endurance, so I'm usually only out there for 15 or so minutes. I have to contend with a half mile up hill climb at the end of my route, so after that I'm in no mood to go for anymore.

jman3000
02-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I also do pushups/situps whenever I die in a video game.

It's a bit dorky, but they add up pretty fast.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2009, 03:04 PM
lol, reading a book about running

Do you have a point to make, or are you just blathering nonsense because you think you know better? Do you run ultramarathons? Why not? If it's so easy, go out and do it.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2009, 03:07 PM
I run 2 miles 5 times a week. I go for speed not for endurance, so I'm usually only out there for 15 or so minutes. I have to contend with a half mile up hill climb at the end of my route, so after that I'm in no mood to go for anymore.

If you add to your endurance, it will boost your speed and the hill won't bother you nearly as much anymore.

AFBlue
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM

Most everything I've read and/or heard is that the most effective way to burn fat/calories is to exercise at your target heart rate for at least 20 minutes, if not longer.

I'm sure the 15 minutes of exercise is more beneficial than nothing at all...but if you want to maximize your cardio, try going a little longer.

Cry Havoc
02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Currently the thing concerning me most is how many times a week to lift and/or run to achieve maximum results. I want to add about 10 pounds of muscle, and achieve a half marathon time of under an hour and a half.

thispego
02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Do you have a point to make, or are you just blathering nonsense because you think you know better? Do you run ultramarathons? Why not? If it's so easy, go out and do it.

well... i never read no books about no runnin but somehow i can run miles and miles without ever stopping.

reading a book about running sounds like a good way to put off actually running :lol

mardigan
02-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I bike 4 miles a day on a stationary, as well as play basketball a couple times a week. I used to run a bunch, but after back surgery, I can only run on soft surfaces, and it kills my knees. As AFB mentioned, jump rope is a great exercise that I have just started getting in to.

SpursWoman
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm going to a kickboxing class this evening ... that's one of my favorite ways to get in cardio.

Rip-Hamilton32
02-09-2009, 06:51 PM
during the nicer weather (when there is no snow) i jog about 4 miles with a friend everyday

FromWayDowntown
02-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I took a physical fitness sort of test at Globo Gym in late December and was horrified at the results. I'm now a 5 or 6-day a week, 60 minutes per day cardio maniac. I'm on the elliptical every week day and on the treadmill at least one day every weekend.

Cry Havoc
02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
well... i never read no books about no runnin but somehow i can run miles and miles without ever stopping.

reading a book about running sounds like a good way to put off actually running :lol

Have you ever been injured running? What does "miles and miles" mean? At what pace?

Trainwreck2100
02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Added an extra lap around tha park on my normal jog today and that winded me i actually took a nap during half time

thispego
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Have you ever been injured running? What does "miles and miles" mean? At what pace?

uhh, i've tripped and fallen before, twisted my ankle a few times, but i run through the injuries. miles and miles means miles and miles, til you tell me to stop or til the race is over. jogging and sprinting.

florige
02-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Good stuff here guys!! Keep it up!

G-Nob
02-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Havoc,

I normally do at least the half every year for the dallas white rock marathon. I haven't stopped but its too early to start training for december yet, so I've just been running 3-4 times during the week with the longest run about 5 miles. I tried to run the full two years ago and got hurt in training. My next goal is to train for the full this year. Maybe do San Antonio in Nov.

I only thought I was a runner until I read Dean Karnazes book, Ultramarathon Man. That dude is not a runner. He's a freak.

I try to do core workouts because it helps you keep good form when you run. I don't go to the gym as much as I should though and thats probably the reason I got hurt when I started doing my longer runs.

Cry Havoc
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Havoc,

I normally do at least the half every year for the dallas white rock marathon. I haven't stopped but its too early to start training for december yet, so I've just been running 3-4 times during the week with the longest run about 5 miles. I tried to run the full two years ago and got hurt in training. My next goal is to train for the full this year. Maybe do San Antonio in Nov.

I only thought I was a runner until I read Dean Karnazes book, Ultramarathon Man. That dude is not a runner. He's a freak.

I try to do core workouts because it helps you keep good form when you run. I don't go to the gym as much as I should though and thats probably the reason I got hurt when I started doing my longer runs.

I'm not sure I buy into the American system of "bigger, harder, faster". If you want to see the best runners in the world, look at the Kenyans. They aren't huge. They aren't even muscular, yet they consistently dominate long-distance runs. I don't necessarily think going to the gym a lot prevents or even lowers the chances of being injured while running. As a result of the book I'm reading, I've made some form changes to my run, and now my long runs are more pain-free than ever, although I definitely agree with your assessment about the core being the essence of any good run.

Cry Havoc
02-18-2009, 01:18 PM
I ran 9 miles last saturday. My time wasn't the best, mostly due to getting a little lost a couple of times and having to wait for the group behind me.

I also forgot to tape/band-aid my nipples. That was most likely a mistake. :lol