PDA

View Full Version : NBA Lottery Mock Draft Update 3...

layupdrill
02-07-2009, 10:48 AM
As the college basketball season enters into the meat and potatoes of its season, the future pros and best young talent in the country are displaying their talents for scouts all over. The landscape of the draft order(based on records) has changed a bit since our January Mock Draft update, yet the top prospects remain. Check out our latest lottery update.
1. Los Angeles Clippers - Blake Griffin(PF-Oklahoma)
This pick makes absolutely no sense based on a number of things, I know. The Clippers, who have been hammered by injuries, are already overloaded in the front court with Zach Randolph, Chris Kaman, and Marcus Camby. Though it is very possible Mike Dunleavy and the brass in Clipperland may look to trade one or two of those players before the trade deadline this month, even if they don’t, and they somehow win the lottery, L.A will be in heaven. Having committed a big contract to Baron Davis rules out any point guard selected at 1 as well, so many teams would be willing to talk to L.A about trading up.
2. Washington Wizards - Ricky Rubio(PG-Spain)
I still see Rubio landing in D.C, though the potential to select Hasheem Thabeet or Greg Monroe to solidify the front court is tempting. The Wiz, anticipating the return of Agent Zero to 100% health, would love to have an explosive point guard to help facilitate the offense. Imagine Rubio, Arenas, and Caron Butler running the fast break, with a healthy Haywood and Jamison in the post? Sounds like playoff potential in the nations capital to me.
3. Sacramento Kings - Hasheem Thabeet(C-UConn)
Like I have said before, you cannot teach size. The Kings have their entire roster on the trading block, with the exception of shooting guard Kevin Martin. Brandon Jennings and James Harden are both options here too, but Thabeet along with Spencer Hawes will be a nice frontcourt for the youth movement in Sacramento. Brad Miller will be out, if not before the trade deadline, then definitely after the season is done.

4. Oklahoma City Thunder - Greg Monroe(PF-Georgetown)
The Thunder, who have Jeff Green currently at the 4 spot, would surely not pass up on drafting another Hoya if Monroe drops this far. With Russell Westbrook at the point and Kevin Durant playing the 3, the center spot is the obvious position the Thunder would look to draft. With the basis that Thabeet is off the board now, OKC takes the best available player.
5. Memphis Grizzlies - Brandon Jennings(PG-Italy)
The Grizzlies aren’t sold on Mike Conley, and with OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay already in place on the perimeter, Memphis uses their pick on the gamble of the draft. Five years from now we may say Jennings was either the steal of this draft, or the biggest bust in years.

6. Golden State Warriors - Jeff Teague(PG-Wake Forest)
Don Nelson’s experiment of having Monta Ellis run the point will end after the season, and Ellis will go back to his role of a scoring off guard. Expect Jamal Crawford to be moved, and a young, level headed point in Teague to take over a team rebuilding.

7. Minnesota Timberwolves - James Harden(SG-Arizona State)
If somehow Minnesota can get Harden this far down, watch out for Kevin Mchale’s young group next season. Al Jefferson will only get better, and Kevin Love will (hopefully) get some decent playing time. Having Foye and Harden on the perimeter could cause matchup problems for opponents. The Wolves may also look for point guard help here.
8. Toronto Raptors - Jordan Hill(PF-Arizona)
Assuming the Raptors move either Chris Bosh and/or Jermaine O’Neal by draft day, they will look to get younger in the front court. Teaming up Andrea Bargnani along with Jordan Hill could be a formidable duo in the future. Another option is if the Raptors don’t land Shawn Marion, there will be a need for a scorer on the perimeter. Gerald Henderson will be around at this pick.

9. Indiana Pacers - Chase Budinger(SG-Arizona)
The Pacers have one legit star in Danny Granger, and have cap space for the future. Knowing that they won’t compete this season, and probably not next, they pick the tweener in Budinger. Chase can play the SG or SF spot in the pros, and will be the beneficiary of double teams Granger receives.
10. Charlotte Bobcats - Al-Farouq Aminu(SF-Wake Forest)
Wake Forest has two lottery picks starting for them right now, which is two more than both Duke and North Carolina. Aminu is quickly rising many scouts wish lists, as he has displayed his willingness to defend and unselfishness when playing in the offense. Charlotte may have worries that Gerald Wallace does not fully recover to the level of play he was at prior to his injury, and just in case, take the best player available.

11. New Jersey Nets - Gerald Henderson(SG-Duke)
The selection of Henderson will mark the official end of the Vince Carter era in NJ.

12. Chicago Bulls - Demar DeRozan(SG-USC)
Chicago will look to move Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich, and Larry Hughes between now and the draft. If they are successful, look for them to pair Derrick Rose with the young streaky scorer in DeRozan.

13.New York Knicks - BJ Mullins(C-Ohio State)
If the Knicks wind up re-signing David Lee, then Lee could move to the power forward spot, and Mullins could be the center of the future. Mike D’Antoni may also opt to go with the best available scorer at this spot, and if that is the case, Earl Clark, Stephen Curry, or even Omri Casspi from Isreal could be chosen. My best guess is that the Knicks will be busy leading up to draft day, and if they fall in love with a particular player, they will move up.

http://layupdrill.com/2009/02/nba-mock-draft-part-3/

IronMexican
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Thabeet will ne a bust. Bulls getting a steal :tu

JMarkJohns
02-07-2009, 10:53 AM
As a University of Arizona fan, I don't see Jordan Hill or Chase Budinger going that high. Hill will measure closer to 6-8 than his listed 6-10 at the camps, and his he's progressed nicely, he can't shoot beyond 10 feet with any consistency, and he is prone to quick, silly fouls. Hill is the type of PF you want starting alongisde an already proven center or as a 25 mpg sixth/seventh man. You don't take 10-point, 8-rebound PFs in the top-10. Maybe around 13 or so, but his spot is way too high for now. As for Budinger, he has been more assurtive, true, but he still struggles on his drives. I know Mike Miller went top-10, but that was a terrible draft. Budinger is too similar to Miller in game to justify a top-10 selection. Maybe top-15, but my guess in top-20.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Budinger shouldn't be a lottery pick. He's too cocky and too inconsistent.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Budinger shouldn't be a lottery pick. He's too cocky and too inconsistent.

He's a very talented all-around offensive player, who just tends to float for large stretches of a game. He too often allows the game to come to him, instead of dictating the outcome. There's no way with his athleticism, size and shooting that he shouldn't be average 25 ppg and 7 rpg. He's a quality player who could nd up going lottery, but I'd agree that he's a better "slot" based on likelihood of NBA production in the 15-to-25 range.

You watch, if he's on the board when the Suns select, he's going to be taken. Kerr and Sarver are UA guys. If th Suns are selecting in the late-teens, early-twenties, then I'm fine with it, but if they are picking from #15 or better, I'll be pretty pissed.

I just don't see him as anything more than a Mike Miller third/fourth option on a team.

Kill_Bill_Pana
02-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Rubio already said he will not be in draft this year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 03:38 PM
You watch, if he's on the board when the Suns select, he's going to be taken. Kerr and Sarver are UA guys. If th Suns are selecting in the late-teens, early-twenties, then I'm fine with it, but if they are picking from #15 or better, I'll be pretty pissed.

If you're not pissed about Lopez @ #15 nothing at that spot should piss you off.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2009, 03:48 PM
If you're not pissed about Lopez @ #15 nothing at that spot should piss you off.

They needed some size. Lopez has it. He also has solid athleticism. A number of scouts thought his ethic was better than his brother's. If you were to ask me were their other players I liked more, then of course I'd have to say yes. But I'm not nearly as down on the pick considering need as others.

I was hoping Rush would slip. I liked his leadership and ability to defend as a 2/3 knowing that Bell wasn't going to be around for much longer. Rush didn't slip, though. As for the players who were available, Speights was a player I was high on. I said for a number of weeks leading up to the draft that Darrell Arthur was my favorite PF prospect likely to be available. He was, but he is also smaller in stature than some prefer.

The point is, Lopez needs more PT. I know you hate him because he's just the latest example of the Suns inability, but he's a mobile 7-footer with good defensive ability and solid rebounding ability.

If he's included in a trade, fine, but I absolutely hate drafting players then never playing them. What was the point of drafting Tucker? To assuage Suns fan's anger over all the previous picks that were sold off? It's looking more and more like that's it.

Unlike you I don't think it terrible to draft an athletic big man and come up a bit short on production for the slot. Sometimes a big man just has to be taken. I'm more upset about them sitting on him. Play him and see exactly what you have or trade him.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 03:53 PM
w you hate him because he's just the latest example of the Suns inability, but he's a mobile 7-footer with good defensive ability and solid rebounding ability.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

solid rebounding ability? What games are you watching?

Steve Nash averages more defensive rebounds per minute of PT than Lopez does. Check if you don't believe me.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2009, 04:04 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

solid rebounding ability? What games are you watching?

Steve Nash averages more defensive rebounds per minute of PT than Lopez does. Check if you don't believe me.

You're criticizing his draft selection, correct? Not NBA production... You can't argue current statistics as justification that a team should have known better months ago when he was drafted.

I already explained his college statistics to you. They were pretty solid across the board and in the games his brother was out he stepped his game up even more.

As for his current play... Sure, he sucks. But plenty of NBA players struggle to produce when they are getting crap minutes at an inconsistent rate. When we had this discussion months back, you gave examples of several "role players" who struggled initially, but then picked it up.

I'm not expecting greatness from him, but it's not far fetched to think he could average 9/10 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 30 minutes a game. It takes time. He's only just turned 21 years old. Hell, even his sucky 11 minutes averages when estimated to 30 a night average roughly 9 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks. Granted, he's also around 6 fouls in 30 minute averages, but a young player typically improves reaction timing and positioning as he plays.

He needs playing time.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 04:33 PM
You're criticizing his draft selection, correct? Not NBA production... You can't argue current statistics as justification that a team should have known better months ago when he was drafted.

I can average a 7 footer in the PAC-10 averaging 5 rebounds a game is justification a team should have known better.....please find me an NBA GM who considers Lopez a good defender.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm not expecting greatness from him, but it's not far fetched to think he could average 9/10 points, 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 30 minutes a game. It takes time. He's only just turned 21 years old. Hell, even his sucky 11 minutes averages when estimated to 30 a night average roughly 9 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks.

You say 6 rebounds and 2 blocks per 30 minutes like it's what a 7 footer drafted at 15 overall should be doing.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
You say 6 rebounds and 2 blocks per 30 minutes like it's what a 7 footer drafted at 15 overall should be doing.

It's what a barely-21-year-old 7-footer likely averages most every time in the NBA. You act as if no young player with mediocre stats has ever developed with playing time and made something of himself.

If he were to become a 9/10-point, 7/8-rebound, 2-block center in a few years, would that not be quality enough to justify his selection considering their need for his position?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 04:56 PM
It's what a barely-21-year-old 7-footer likely averages most every time in the NBA. You act as if no young player with mediocre stats has ever developed with playing time and made something of himself.

I wasn't aware having as many fouls as you do rebounds is mediocre.....most would bite the bullet and label it with words such as "abysmal" or "shitty".

I love the vague adjectives some fans use to describe certain players.

If he were to become a 9/10-point, 7/8-rebound, 2-block center in a few years, would that not be quality enough to justify his selection considering their need for his position?

That's a pointless comment, there is no indication he will ever be able to produce those statistics.

How exactly will he average 7-8 RPG when he averaged 5 RPG in college while playing in a small conference?

JMarkJohns
02-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I wasn't aware having as many fouls as you do rebounds is mediocre.....most would bite the bullet and label it with words such as "abysmal" or "shitty".

I love the vague adjectives some fans use to describe certain players.

MEDIOCRE: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance

I think it's pretty apt for right now. But again, you've responded to my post without actually answering why you think a 21-year-old can't learn and develop.

That's a pointless comment, there is no indication he will ever be able to produce those statistics.

How exactly will he average 7-8 RPG when he averaged 5 RPG in college while playing in a small conference?

He actually averaged 6 rebounds in 25 minutes a night. For a sophomore, that's actually pretty good, regardless of his size, which we've already gone over as well. The Pac-10 has had a number of lottery picks from the PF/C position in recent years, several more 1st-rounders and will have a number this draft as well. The Pac-10 isn't small. It's not HUGE, but the PF/Cs that play are all NBA quality and many of them are 6-10 or taller and/or 225 or bigger.

I just think you discredit based on too small a sample size. The kid was a very good defensive center in college. He's young and athletic enough that with playing time and some coaching up, what he lacks could be taught to him in time.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 05:14 PM
MEDIOCRE: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance

I think it's pretty apt for right now. But again, you've responded to my post without actually answering why you think a 21-year-old can't learn and develop.

Because you cannot develop intelligence and coordination. Lopez is the next Hot Rod Williams only worse and more clumsy.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 05:18 PM
He actually averaged 6 rebounds in 25 minutes a night. For a sophomore, that's actually pretty good, regardless of his size, which we've already gone over as well. The Pac-10 has had a number of lottery picks from the PF/C position in recent years, several more 1st-rounders and will have a number this draft as well. The Pac-10 isn't small. It's not HUGE, but the PF/Cs that play are all NBA quality and many of them are 6-10 or taller and/or 225 or bigger.

I just think you discredit based on too small a sample size. The kid was a very good defensive center in college. He's young and athletic enough that with playing time and some coaching up, what he lacks could be taught to him in time.

6 rebounds in 25 minutes isn't good for a 7 footer. Please show me someone who averaged 8 RPG for a season in the NBA while averaging what Rolobust did in college?

Keep in mind he didn't play center in college, he was too big a pussy, his brother did. All those players (Hawes, Love, Hill) had to deal with his brother, not him. Most of the rebounds he grabbed were weak side rebounds against wings because his brother had boxed out the big man.

JMarkJohns
02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
We're obviously never going to agree on this. You think Lopez is a failure from the word go. I think he should be given a chance to develop via playing time and through coaching. As of right now, you're more correct in your assessment of his skill. He's not very good. However, he's an athletic 7-footer with solid defensive skills and enough upside to become a quality rotation player. We'll see if he ever even gets what he needs. If he stays on these Suns, he's unlikely to ever get the coaching or the chance.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
We're obviously never going to agree on this. You think Lopez is a failure from the word go. I think he should be given a chance to develop via playing time and through coaching. As of right now, you're more correct in your assessment of his skill. He's not very good. However, he's an athletic 7-footer with solid defensive skills and enough upside to become a quality rotation player. We'll see if he ever even gets what he needs. If he stays on these Suns, he's unlikely to ever get the coaching or the chance.

Idk where he earned the label athletic. It's like people assumed that since he was smaller than Brook he was quicker, which isn't true. I've never seen someone who's "athletic" that is so uncoordinated, slow, and foul prone due to lack of lateral quickness.